Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW  (Read 518141 times)

Jim and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
Oh my.... I didn't intend to start this thread diversion.   For the record when I said "home" I was more referring to "home town" not necessarily Mom's basement   :o.

Having an advanced degree in Marine Science and working in the marine industry,  there is a ton of overlap between the various science & engineering disciplines.   Even in my niche of hydrographic surveying, there is a ton geophysical and geotechnical work involved directly in construction and all of the design, planning, and permitting.  There really are lots of opportunities out there for someone with a Geology degree,  they just might not be in Eastern Michigan.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
A medical doctor is far from a four year degree program in advanced underwater basket weaving.  A surgeon goes beyond a regular MD in training.  Heck, anyone can get a four year degree and teach.  Some don't even need that to teach college level classes.  :bigsmile:  Some get the teaching cert and can't find a slot to teach in their preferred area.  AMHIK, I have a kid who jumped all the hoops and is now a Computer Systems Service Manager, selling hard and software to local companies. 

A degree is not a guarantee of a job, much less one in their selected area of expertise.  A competent trade school grad will always have work in their field.

(sorry, forgot the smiley)
--Tom

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
A medical doctor is far from a four year degree program in advanced underwater basket weaving.  A surgeon goes beyond a regular MD in training.  Heck, anyone can get a four year degree and teach.  Some don't even need that to teach college level classes.  :bigsmile:  Some get the teaching cert and can't find a slot to teach in their preferred area.  AMHIK, I have a kid who jumped all the hoops and is now a Computer Systems Service Manager, selling hard and software to local companies. 

A degree is not a guarantee of a job, much less one in their selected area of expertise.  A competent trade school grad will always have work in their field.

I think we are talking apples and oranges here.  I get that a 4 year in underwater basket weaving might not get you a job, but let me make is simpler- if one doesn't understand the difference between an electrician and an electrical engineer, there's a problem.

Heck, anyone can get a four year degree and teach.

True.  But not anyone can get a 4 year degree and teach in a way that helps students learn.  And that's the point.  I've been doing it long enough to see a HUGE difference there- but then again, I have a degree, so I might not know what I'm talking about.   :bigsmile:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
People who eat in the car while driving, then toss the trash out the window.Hey assholes, there a million trash cans every where you go. Try waiting till you stop and throwing it into the trash.I think loss of driving license for a year and 1000 dollar fine would help stop it along with people being able to video and send to the cops for the fine.The world seems to be filled with two legged PIGS.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline vfrrider

• Whoopee's the name, safety's the game.
  • Motorcycles: 1993 Honda VFR750F
OK, ordeal unloading in progress.

Jan 7, wife diagnosed with Intra Vascular Lymphoma while in hospital since Dec 30 collapse at home. Rare and aggressive. Really needed 24/7 care via professional care. Needed Disability rating from SSN to qualify. I had applied in October for her. Finally got her qualified for Retirement benefits in January. I'm designated her Payee for direct deposit.

February 17, she passed, in the hospital, waiting for Disability rating based on her probability of imminent death. Still waiting on Disability rating. Spoke with SSN on phone February 18 and told them she had passed while waiting. February 25, received notice from SSN that she was approved for Disability.

March 25, finally received Death Certificate for official notification. Go to SSN, they're closed. March 28, meet with SSN for official notification. They remind me her benefits are terminated. Too late, the bank already called and said they returned her check. So I asked, what about her 40+ years of SSN payments? Where does that money go. OH, WE KEEP IT IN THE GENERAL FUND!

March 29, I get a letter in the mail from SSN. We stopped her payments, and we had paid in February, the month she passed.

WE WANT THAT PAYMENT BACK, OR WE'LL TAKE IT BACK. YOU HAVE 30 DAYS.

And they wander why people go postal.

Rant mode done, don't know what I'm going to do now.

Larry
VFRrider

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Suck man- I am so sorry.  The only thing the government can do right is break stuff.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
I hate how the gov't does that. You can be all-in for a month less maybe 2 or 3 days, and they act like that month didn't exist. Did it when DEROSing and again when ETSing from the military 23 months and 28 days. Credit for 23 months. It becomes an issue that impacts the rest of your life because it can help with time applied toward retirement. GI Bill full pull back for the month even if most of it was "on target" and expensed for its intended purpose.

Sorry for your frustration.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:55:51 AM by Bounce »

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
So sorry for your loss, dealing with my mums passing last year was an absolute pain in the butt too. Took ages to straighten everything out.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250

A degree is not a guarantee of a job, much less one in their selected area of expertise. 

Well, don't forget the reality that a degree is very often the thing that separates the "meets basic requirements" vs "does not meet basic requirements" where the HR dept is concerned.  Or whatever the first line of defense is when reviewing resumes.  You could be perfectly qualified for a job but if they check the degree required box, without one, your resume will never even be seen by a lot of companies because the first cut is the deepest.  It would be nice if every company had the time to read every resume and make some hard judgement calls but that's not real.  So, having a 4 year degree is often the only thing that gets you a looksee.  I've never worked in a field that has anything to do with my degree but I've gotten jobs just because I have it and have proven that I can fake 4 years of university level work.  I wouldn't be surprised if the school I went to had more to do with getting selected than the name of the degree. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
I wouldn't be surprised if the school I went to had more to do with getting selected than the name of the degree.

ding ding ding, again! Hand this guy one of those cigars while we're at it.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips

A degree is not a guarantee of a job, much less one in their selected area of expertise. 

Well, don't forget the reality that a degree is very often the thing that separates the "meets basic requirements" vs "does not meet basic requirements" where the HR dept is concerned.  Or whatever the first line of defense is when reviewing resumes.  You could be perfectly qualified for a job but if they check the degree required box, without one, your resume will never even be seen by a lot of companies because the first cut is the deepest.  It would be nice if every company had the time to read every resume and make some hard judgement calls but that's not real.  So, having a 4 year degree is often the only thing that gets you a looksee.  I've never worked in a field that has anything to do with my degree but I've gotten jobs just because I have it and have proven that I can fake 4 years of university level work.  I wouldn't be surprised if the school I went to had more to do with getting selected than the name of the degree.

Very true. I applied for the job I was doing on temporary assignment. The boss of the department called me and apologized. He point-blank told me he knew I could do the work at a level and quality above expectations [1] but that he couldn't consider my application because, while I had the college hours, I didn't have a degree.

1. I had cracked some "nuts" that their folks were stumped with and even wrapped up a program that the contractors walked away from (didn't bother to apply when the project came up for renewal) because they couldn't get it to work.

B. And HR accepted ANY degree for most any bid that required a degree. It often didn't have to be in the specific field.

Online chornbe

• Contributor

B. And HR accepted ANY degree for most any bid that required a degree. It often didn't have to be in the specific field.

Which is what's wrong. Employers value institutionalization over knowledge, skills, experience. This is how we end up with "middle managers" who don't know shit about shit, but boy oh boy, are they great company men. (sigh)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
This is how we end up with "middle managers" who don't know shit about shit, but boy oh boy, are they great company men. (sigh)
They're "great company men" because they know that they don't know shit about shit, and can't get a 'real' job, you know, actually doing shit.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online chornbe

• Contributor

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Baxter

• Newly retired--time to wear out some tires!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette 400, farkled for long distances
Vfrrider, sorry for your loss. 

And having this bureaucratic mess on top of everything just adds to it.
I broke the internet!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!

Which is what's wrong. Employers value institutionalization over knowledge, skills, experience. This is how we end up with "middle managers" who don't know shit about shit, but boy oh boy, are they great company men. (sigh)

And employees with an excellently expensive piece of paper without a clue as to actually do the work.
--Tom

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Which is precisely why you just lie about having a degree if you need to.  95% of jobs will never check and the ones that do are fairly obvious.

We have the same scenario at work where a job will be coming up for full time that has been done at a high level by a temp (without a degree, but with 25+ years experience)  Total crock.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
In my experience, that is true in the private sector. Not so much with governments.
Ride safe!

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Which is precisely why you just lie about having a degree if you need to.  95% of jobs will never check and the ones that do are fairly obvious.

We have the same scenario at work where a job will be coming up for full time that has been done at a high level by a temp (without a degree, but with 25+ years experience)  Total crock.

I have considered doing this. I have 34 years in engineering, but no degree. I t really limits my choices, as I have to go where  I have an 'in' so I can get an interview. I thought a bout 'buying' a degree. Working with the kids coming out of school today, I just shake my head.
I would love to be able to buy off an office worker to put a file in the filing cabinet with my name on it in case anyone ever checks.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!

< just venting here.....

Spring Meet is now a 50% chance since the knee went out.  Hinged knee brace is helping a bunch, but waiting on the ortho doc's prognosis this week.  The bad left knee is taking up the slack and it's starting to ache, so I'm sitting a bunch now.  My sleep pattern is whacked out too. 

:baldy:

We shall see.  I'm getting stir crazy already, but the recent turn of bad weather is part of it.  Snowed enough to actually coat the grass yesterday.  It's gone this morning thankfully.

Wife and I are supposed to go to Vegas the weekend after the May campout.  Flight and hotel are booked and paid, non-refundable.
--Tom

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
In my experience, that is true in the private sector. Not so much with governments.

My example WAS in gov't (DOD) where I was doing the work at a high level, holding years of experience, and passed over for no reason other than a degree.

Offline stevent

Whisky you're the devil. It's been fun but I can't do it anymore, you fucked my life up one too many times. You win. I'm done.

Le fin'
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
Whisky you're the devil. It's been fun but I can't do it anymore, you fucked my life up one too many times. You win. I'm done.

Le fin'

:popcorn:
i eats paste

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
Credit card scam artists.  Got an automated call regarding charges on one of my cards out in Washington State.  Nope, not mine.  Kill the card, kill the account and send me another card.  Two small charges to test their stolen info, I guess.  The only thing I've used the card for is medical bills in the past month.   >:(
--Tom

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still

Le fin'

:clap: :clap: :clap:
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
VisionWorks can take a flying leap at a rancid rats hole.
My VA health care gives me free eye exam and glasses, but the glasses are only the thick rimmed 'birth control' glasses.  So I bought vision insurance this year (BlueCross FEP).
I took my Rx to VisionWorks - they're in the BC FEP 'network'.
I selected frames and gave them my Rx.
The lady spent about 20 mins on the computer and then said "$450"   WHAT?!?!  The ins covers the frames and 50% of the lenses!!   All I asked for were progressives w/ anti-glare coating.
She had put in a list of 'premium options', w/o asking or telling me!!  I basically had to threaten to leave w/o buying before she 'managed' to get the price (to me)  to $140.
I got the glasses today.   I walked in to VisionWorks to pick them up with the receipt in their bright red envelope in my hand.  A gal greeted me and lead me to the exam waiting area.  She didn't ask my name or why I was there...  She brought a clipboard w/ forms and I told her "I'm here to pick up my glasses" and held up the bright red envelope.  W/o appology, she led me to another gal.   
The second gal took my receipt, read it and asked for my full name - after she read it on the receipt! 
She had me take a seat and try on the glasses.  After a quick adjustment, she said "Thank you" with a weak smile.
No care info.  No customer service info. No cleaning cloth or cleaning solution.
Neither of the ladies had name tags, so I can't even tell customer service who gave me the terrible service.
And, I'm getting Spam Emails from VisionWorks w/ 'special' offers.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online chornbe

• Contributor
VisionWorks can take a flying leap at a rancid rats hole.
My VA health care gives me free eye exam and glasses, but the glasses are only the thick rimmed 'birth control' glasses.  So I bought vision insurance this year (BlueCross FEP).
I took my Rx to VisionWorks - they're in the BC FEP 'network'.
I selected frames and gave them my Rx.
The lady spent about 20 mins on the computer and then said "$450"   WHAT?!?!  The ins covers the frames and 50% of the lenses!!   All I asked for were progressives w/ anti-glare coating.
She had put in a list of 'premium options', w/o asking or telling me!!  I basically had to threaten to leave w/o buying before she 'managed' to get the price (to me)  to $140.
I got the glasses today.   I walked in to VisionWorks to pick them up with the receipt in their bright red envelope in my hand.  A gal greeted me and lead me to the exam waiting area.  She didn't ask my name or why I was there...  She brought a clipboard w/ forms and I told her "I'm here to pick up my glasses" and held up the bright red envelope.  W/o appology, she led me to another gal.   
The second gal took my receipt, read it and asked for my full name - after she read it on the receipt! 
She had me take a seat and try on the glasses.  After a quick adjustment, she said "Thank you" with a weak smile.
No care info.  No customer service info. No cleaning cloth or cleaning solution.
Neither of the ladies had name tags, so I can't even tell customer service who gave me the terrible service.
And, I'm getting Spam Emails from VisionWorks w/ 'special' offers.

Ah, eye glasses. The second biggest sham in the world.

I spent a year or so a couple years back getting to know the business working on an ecommerce platform for one of the larger indie eyeglass labs.

You don't need to spend that much. Luxottica has a strangle-hold on all the retail brands, much like DeBeers has with diamonds, or Amazon is coming to have with all their private-label brands that sound like popular, non-Amazon retail brands.

There are a number of online sources where you can get glasses for WAY cheaper that are still top-line products with good-to-great lenses.

Your eye doc is under no legal requirement to only sell you the products they make huge profits on, but there you go. They profit. They're just resellers. They generally make far more on the glasses than the actual doctorin'. Sadly.

They have to give you the Rx. They are *NOT* required to give you the PD measurment (pupilary distance) and seg-height, but most will, and even if they hit you a small "admin fee" to give up that information, it's worth it. The $25 they might charge you is anywhere from 1/8th to about 1/16th the money you can save going indie.

Contact these guys; they can point you to any number of indie retailers locally or with online presence that will save you metric shit tons of money.

Most people think eye glasses are some black magic wonder that *HAVE* to cost so much; they are not, and do not. The world has been making them for hundreds of years. The problem is a few enterprising folks snatched up market share along the way and price-fix and control things because no one knew better, and because people don't trust... well... posts like this.

Surely this guy on some stupid motorcycle forum couldn't possibly know this with any authority.

I do. It was an eye-opening year of discovery and revulsion working with them. I wear glasses (mostly for reading). You'll never find me in a common, brand-name store or lab ever again.

http://www.feaind.com/

They're a lab, not a full retailer (yet...?). Part of the platform I was building was to enable them to sell direct to folks using the ecommerce underpinnings and templated-site model. I don't know if they've gone live yet, or to what capacity, but they can definitely get you to a retailer they work through, if they haven't started their retail push yet.

FEA. Good family owned company, several generations. "Fast, Efficient, Accurate." That's what the website says. Hah! FEA stands for - for real - "fuck 'em all" because that's what Bill, the owner, said as he broke out on his own to prove that all the other big eyeglass labs were price fixing pieces of shit. They're something like the 4th largest lab nationally, and the biggest indie lab.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:13:55 AM by chornbe »

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
I gave up on optical retailers.  www.zennioptical.com is my go to place for glasses.  Yeah, I pay for a good exam with an ophthalmologist, then get online and order exactly what I want and how I want them.  Cost is usually in the $100-$125 range for progressive bifocals with flex frames and transitions lenses with the super high end scratch guard coating.   

ETA: my last pair of retail glasses were thru VisionWorks also, but I had damn good insurance.  It STILL cost me $170.  Fuck 'em all.  Hard.
--Tom

Online chornbe

• Contributor
I gave up on optical retailers.  www.zennioptical.com is my go to place for glasses.  Yeah, I pay for a good exam with an ophthalmologist, then get online and order exactly what I want and how I want them.  Cost is usually in the $100-$125 range for progressive bifocals with flex frames and transitions lenses with the super high end scratch guard coating.

Bam! There you go.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
And I'm pretty much blind without mine.  They go on as I get out of bed and off at bedtime.
--Tom

Online minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
And I'm pretty much blind without mine.  They go on as I get out of bed and off at bedtime.

I was the same for fifty years. Had to carry spare pairs in the car, lunch box, on the bike, because I'd be up shitzcreek if anything happened to the pair I was wearing-which did happen. I found an Ophthalmologist who had a great insurance work around going.  He stated that everyone has the beginnings of cataracts, some develop, some don't. Insurance companies consider Lasik to be a cosmetic surgery, which few plans cover. He would go and remove those"beginnings" and implant lenses on/in the eye. Because his procedure was considered corrective surgery, it was covered for the most part. I walked out of the procedure and threw away my glasses. Total was less than $500 because the one was a special lens to correct my astigmatism. I had been spending more than that on two years of glasses. That was ten years ago, and still no issues and no glasses. 
old enough to know better

Online minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
 :)

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
YAY! Insurance fraud!

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
Would you believe...
I want to call my vision ins. co to ask if they cover a spare pair of glasses.
The phone # on their website is in the smallest font on the web page!!!

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
YAY! Insurance fraud!

You're so old school, ya hater.  It's just a creative interpretation of a fairly fluid policy.  It's like math and gender.  It's what you want it to be. 

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
YAY! Insurance fraud!

You're so old school, ya hater.  It's just a creative interpretation of a fairly fluid policy.  It's like math and gender.  It's what you want it to be.
Learned that years ago in the service.  Funds were assigned to specific things.  If you ran out of funds but still needed things in that catagory, we got 'creative'.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
YAY! Insurance fraud!

I said YAY.  I love stickin' it to the man!

Online minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
I like to refer to it as "a creative work-around, for the benefit of the people".  The only downside was having to wear those goofy looking wrap around over the glasses sunglasses all of the really old people wear, leaving the Doctors. Thankfully, no one saw me.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
Food poisoning. FML

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
I got nothin.

My life is amazing.
i eats paste

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
I got nothin.

My life is amazing.

:thumbsup:

Same here.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline stevent

My knees hurt and I'm tired. Me and the Plant Engineer and our Safety Focal spent all day chasing bunny rabbits over a safety and health violation one of my other Operators filed. We had a power outage and lost the plant awhile back. When the emergency generator kicked in he couldn't get # 1 boiler back on so he managed to bring up the standby boiler to take the load. All right and proper to this point. Then for some reason this guy decides to vent # 1 boiler. The drum vent and lay-up piping are different on # 1 because it's newer design, anyway long story short, he opens the drum vent at 70 psi and predictably gets a face full of steam and hot water, almost knocking himself off the top of the boiler.

Of course he files a SHEAR over it so we have to investigate a way to make the job safer, bear in mind that SOP is not to vent boilers until they're at or below 15 psi, at which point they're considered low pressure. The Plant Engineer will most likely have to come up with some piping modifications, I'll have to have a placard made and installed stating the obvious, and write up a comprehensive line diagram and SOP for that one boiler all because at 75 years old this fucking numbskull is too senile to even be there in the first place, but asking him to retire would be age based discrimination.

Proving incompetence would be difficult and lengthy and the asshole would fight it every step of the way, then just retire out of spite. I have more trouble with this shitbird than the rest of my crew combined, and my knees hurt from climbing up and down ladders and platforms all day.

Fucking Monday.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
Ordered a new to me MacBook mid-2010 with the 2.4ghz processor and the ability to use 16GB of RAM. I also obviously ordered the proper RAM.  It doesn’t boot with the new RAM, so I start digging into why.  The seller had cloned the hard drive versus doing the actual updated OS install leading to the EFI not being upgraded to the latest one that allows the big memory.  Sooo, I did the Time Machine backup overnight of my disk and am installing the fresh OS now via usb stick.  Some IT folks should be retaught their jobs.
 :bash:
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
Ordered a new to me MacBook mid-2010 with the 2.4ghz processor and the ability to use 16GB of RAM. I also obviously ordered the proper RAM.  It doesn’t boot with the new RAM, so I start digging into why.  The seller had cloned the hard drive versus doing the actual updated OS install leading to the EFI not being upgraded to the latest one that allows the big memory.  Sooo, I did the Time Machine backup overnight of my disk and am installing the fresh OS now via usb stick.  Some IT folks should be retaught their jobs.
 :bash:

Well, fuck me running  :baldy: :baldy:

Got the EFI updated finally with a fresh OS install and full update.

Apple, in their infinite wisdom in hardware design, has locked these laptops to the exact speed RAM that they come with - PC-8500.  Anything with a faster bus speed which IS backwards compatible in any other fucking laptop in the world will not work.  I get to send this nice, speedy 2x8GB kit back to Amazon and order some ancient memory to replace it. 

Anyone out there still reading have 2x8GB of PC-8500 204 pin laptop memory laying about that they want to part with for remuneration? 
--Tom

Online chornbe

• Contributor
Not I, sorry. I love these older good-level Macbooks. I have a 2012 with 1600 DD3 using an i7 and an SSD for internal storage, and this thing is nearly as real-world fast as my 2018 work-supplied beast. I mean, my old one can't come near it on video and audio rendering, database server, etc., and that sort of stuff, but man, in the stuff I typically do - including compiling in XCode - it's plenty enough. Apple builds great machines.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
I “upgraded” from a 2009 for the processor speed and gave the wife the freshly rejuvenated 2009.  She kills windows laptops with regularity.  It’s got 8gb of ram and a 640gb hard drive.  Runs better than anything current she’s killed in the last two years.

I moved the TB SSD into my new one. 
--Tom

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
Not I, sorry. I love these older good-level Macbooks. I have a 2012 with 1600 DD3 using an i7 and an SSD for internal storage, and this thing is nearly as real-world fast as my 2018 work-supplied beast. I mean, my old one can't come near it on video and audio rendering, database server, etc., and that sort of stuff, but man, in the stuff I typically do - including compiling in XCode - it's plenty enough. Apple builds great machines.

Sadly, I didn't consider the differences between normal and M-style CPUs when I gave my 2010 iMac to my Sister-in-Law. She had a history of hosing her gifted WinTel laptop by indiscriminately clicking on stuff. Her laptop from her work that was getting ready to toss it AND had Win8 on it. It was horribly slow for many reasons. I offered her the 27" beast to avoid having to rebuild that boat anchor yet again.  It wasn't until a few weeks later that I learned my 2013 Core i7 Macbook Pro was slower on a lot of things than my DIY-upgraded iMac that looked slower on paper.

Dang that sneaky Intel and their overlapping naming schemes.

I'm playing with the idea of going to a Mac Mini when I next upgrade. I'm already running an external monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse when using the Macbook Pro at home. I don't travel as much as I used to and the combo of the iPhone and iPad Mini will fill that niche. The new Mac Mini has better performance except for GPU (which is about equal to the Macbook Pro) but an external GPU cage can be attached. The Mini also has all the ports that seem to be seen and undesirable in the laptops for some reason. I'm of the opinion that the Pro line of products don't need "slim" as much as their need performance and connectivity.

Oh year, and at 6-years in, the Macbook Pro is still not up for replacement. Given the apparently quicker replacement cycle of many of the low-end WinTel options, that also amortizes the apparent higher buy in for the Mac stuff.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
Yeah, the builds you can get on the Minis can be seriously intense. I looked at getting an M based Macbook a year or two ago; wow, was is sluggish - even the so-called i7 version. Whoofah.

And regarding longevity... considering that my daughter is still using the earliest-gen Intel iMac that I bought the second it came out, the "they're so expensive" argument about macs fall completely on deaf ears with me. I keep buying them because they're amazingly built, and the only time I've ever had a Mac fail, it was thanks to a hard drive. Replaced that, and got another ~5 years out of it. That, too, was a 2010-ish Macbook Pro with an i5 in it, that I just retired last year when I got this flame thrower Pro for work. I think Liz's iMac is a 2011 vintage...? Runs just fine.

I think the household right now has three Mac computers, two iPads, and 4 iPhones. Stuff just keeps on working. Even the kids' dad, a long time "buy whatever Android is cheapest" got them iPhones this lass upgrade cycle. I have my 2012 Macbook Pro, but am super fortunate that work bought me the iPad pro and this Macbook Pro. I didn't have that kind of coin to put out, but that's where my money would have gone for new equipment if I did.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW

Funny that. Turns out it's the same thing in the "What did you learn today" thread.

Apparently, for no obvious reason at all, Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Delaware may just decide to change the group number on our health care plan that we have through my wife's LLC, and the best time to learn about this is when you're at the pharmacy counter picking up necessary meds and they only have the old group number ( you know, the one that worked like 2 weeks ago ) on file. Wheeeeeeeee.