Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW  (Read 450876 times)

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
Re: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW
« Reply #3900 on: February 21, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »
No tax on cooking meth.

Just saying.
Have you heard of Al Capone??

The government was fine with looking the other way until Capone got too big, and started wantonly killing people in the streets and burning down homes to settle scores. Asshole got too big to ignore and had to be brought down. The tax angle was their only real recourse because at the end of the day, he couldn't just pay someone to take THAT fall, too.
this signature on hold pending review

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
Re: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW
« Reply #3901 on: February 21, 2019, 10:12:07 AM »
The government was paid to fine with looking the other way until Capone got too big, and started wantonly killing people in the streets and burning down homes to settle scores. Asshole got too big to ignore and had to be brought down. The tax angle was their only real recourse because at the end of the day, he couldn't just pay someone to take THAT fall, too.
FTFY
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #3902 on: February 21, 2019, 10:38:29 AM »
Now if you'll pardon me I need to throw another peasant on the fire, it's chilly this morning....

Internet Winner of the Day!

Offline CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #3903 on: February 21, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »
We cam out in the black.  Based on a few anecdotal conversations (including Tom's  :crazy: ) I was very nervous.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '08 Wee & an overweight Connie
« Reply #3904 on: February 21, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
No tax on cooking meth.

Just saying.

Naw, it's laundering the proceeds that'll get you into trouble every time.  :clap:

I'd like my peasant medium well please.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #3905 on: February 22, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »
No tax on cooking meth.

Just saying.

Naw, it's laundering the proceeds that'll get you into trouble every time.  :clap:

I'd like my peasant medium well please.

You don't foul yourself by eating them, silly.  You just heat with them. 

#Bougydouche
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #3906 on: February 22, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »
How many BTUs per peasant?  I need to lay in a new supply for the rest of the winter and gotta figure out how many I need.
--Tom

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #3907 on: February 22, 2019, 09:06:15 AM »
How many BTUs per peasant?  I need to lay in a new supply for the rest of the winter and gotta figure out how many I need.

It's a tough line; fat burns hot, but liquifies and runs off. You need enough fat to get the meat started, but not so much that it flashes and runs off before really heating the flesh. Hmm...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:37:12 PM by chornbe »

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #3908 on: February 22, 2019, 09:29:51 AM »
I simply can't tolerate the smell.

I really don't know how you do it!

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2016 Yamaha Super Tenny
« Reply #3909 on: February 22, 2019, 09:46:40 AM »
I simply can't tolerate the smell.

I really don't know how you do it!

We just have the rest of them fan the smoke away
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3910 on: February 22, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »

It's a tough line; fat burns hot, but liquifies and funs off. You need enough fat to catch the meat, but not so much that it flashes and runs off before really heating the flesh. Hmm...

So, we'd be firestarters then. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline CLAY

• Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #3911 on: February 22, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »
I burn students.  They are young and the fat-meat ratio is near perfect.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #3912 on: February 22, 2019, 09:28:23 PM »

Plus you can charge tuition for the experience, and double the credit cost if they are grad students.
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #3913 on: February 22, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »
The corn syrup fattened ones burn hotter, but you have to clean the grate every day.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #3914 on: February 23, 2019, 07:12:02 AM »

Ah. The succulent years.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3915 on: February 25, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »
So apparently high winds are not my favorite thing about living in the woods.  :(  This morning just before 7am I was cutting up a very large pine tree that came down across my driveway right up by the house.   Last week's tree across the driveway was closer to the bottom.  There's also some very tornado looking damage in the woods that I've yet to examine closely but suffice it to say we had a lot of really high wind gusts and they were not in one direction.

Good:  We wanted this tree down anyway
Bad:    We didn't want it to land on our brand new 8600 dollar fence
Good:  It missed the gate and many other wood post connection points by a mere couple feet
Bad:  Nope, that's about it.  We got SOOOOOOOO lucky.  It came down in about the best possible place it could have come down

I wish there was some market for pine wood around here.  We have a LOT of it and I can't burn it.  And since it's now in 16 to 20" logs, somebody is going to get some really nice fuel for their outdoor furnace when I drop this crap down by the road. 

EDIT:  OH YEAH, there's 2 pine trees sitting on my power lines.  Probably end up having to cut the fence to get the trucks in.  We planned on it eventually happening so we have bracing there just in case.  We were just hoping it would be more than a couple weeks.  Mr. Murphy has taken up residence at my place. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3916 on: February 25, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »
good times

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw
« Reply #3917 on: February 25, 2019, 01:34:26 PM »
the power still on? if it is it won't be for long by the looks of that.

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #3918 on: February 25, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »
Rant is only peripherally related to me through a friend.

Death sucks. Alcoholism sucks. Death from alcoholism sucks as much or more than any untimely death.
The wife of a buddy of mine passed a few days ago after emergency hospitalization for a non-functioning liver. Likely as a direct result of her excessive alcohol consumption for an excessive number of years. Nice lady, but it seems that she needed vodka to keep herself functioning. They were together for 22 years, and married for 10+. Although there were stresses on them from her drinking habit, it seemed like in general they were loving and happy.

That being said, it sounds like they are pretty much in the same boat I'd find myself in... At this age (~50), they weren't really planning for the inevitable conclusion to her habit, or at least not this early for sure. Leaving my buddy Dave hurting financially just to cover the governmental requirements for disposal, let alone the accrued costs from her 5 day ICU and surgery hospital stay prior to the end...

I'm not much of a giver, but someone did assist Dave set up a gofundme to help him with these unexpected expenses. I'll be contributing as can, and I have a couple more things in the fire to help if possible, but I wanted to drop this here in case the ST.O crew had anything to help with. Obviously not truly a local to us as a community, but Dave is one of the few people I've ever personally known that could use a hand in a time of tragedy and spreading the word wide is what we do best on the internet. For what it's worth, I understand that it's hard to feel sorry for someone who chose their own fate, but I also understand that many of us go through life knowing that your time is finite, but planning for that becomes less important that living life fully while you have it.

If anybody is interested in dropping a couple dukats to help my buddy out, I know he'd be appreciative.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-us-honor-melissa039s-last-wishes
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Leanintree
Great googly-moogly!

Online Formerly Known as Bigfoot

• Motorcycles: 04 Yamaha RSV
« Reply #3919 on: February 25, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »
good times

You know how close I am to you.  My property is mostly open with the trees far enough away but my wife called me at work and said the rear of the garage was raining shingles.  Sure enough I came home to find them all over the opposite side of the house.  The valley behind me makes a wonderful wind tunnel and it hits the back of our house with some ferocious winds.  We've got companies coming tomorrow for estimates.
If Stupid Could Fly you'd be a Jet.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3920 on: February 25, 2019, 05:16:41 PM »

It is.  We're planning for your prediction as well.  Kim is going to fill up the gas cans now (ethanol free) in case we need to do some generator time.  The only things we'll really need to run are the fridge, freezer, well pump and hot water heater for the occasional shower.  Think the well pump is hard wired so that could get interesting.  Meh, we'll pioneer it out.  Estimate for repair is 11pm on March 1.  There are a couple people w/out power round these parts.  I suspect many are for the same reason. 

Oh, and just for fun, our cell tower is down also.  So, in addition to the possibility of now power, we'll also have no ability to communicate.  No land line, no cell signal.  I'm going to have Kim brush up on her CPR.  Cuz, ya know, Murphy.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3921 on: February 25, 2019, 05:23:21 PM »
good times

You know how close I am to you.  My property is mostly open with the trees far enough away but my wife called me at work and said the rear of the garage was raining shingles.  Sure enough I came home to find them all over the opposite side of the house.  The valley behind me makes a wonderful wind tunnel and it hits the back of our house with some ferocious winds.  We've got companies coming tomorrow for estimates.

I'm up to 3 chainsaws now and I have a truck and trailer.  If you need any help with trees, I'm getting pretty good at this crap.  Can't help you with the roof.  Good luck.  There were a couple times last night when I was sure the house was going to take some damage.  Looking into the woods this morning, we had something other than regular wind going on.  Several trees had the top snapped off and the tops aren't where they have any good reason to be.  Creepy stuff.  It would be a really good time to have a tree company around these parts.  Those people will have all the work they can handle for the foreseeable future between the ice storm and this wind. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3922 on: February 26, 2019, 08:19:51 PM »

So...we just called the emergency line.  Turns out the pine trees are putting off embers.  Pretty not cool.  Not arcing as I understand it.  Not technically sparking I don't think but something is hot enough to make embers and since it's the fluffy part of the pine tree, I'm officially a little nervous.  I've burned enough pine to know what could happen.  Sure hope they take us seriously and get out here quick.  Of course, I also know how hard it is to start a fire when you're trying so there's that.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #3923 on: February 27, 2019, 08:18:49 AM »
oh ya, it will burn through eventually, or trip the protective device with enough current flow. stay away from it as there are some other possible hazards, such as step potential. I can't believe they didn't show up when they know the tree is in the line and it's still hot? 

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #3924 on: February 27, 2019, 08:40:36 AM »
I can't believe they didn't show up when they know the tree is in the line and it's still hot?

Things happen in their own time in WV.  :yawn:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3925 on: February 27, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »
oh ya, it will burn through eventually, or trip the protective device with enough current flow. stay away from it as there are some other possible hazards, such as step potential. I can't believe they didn't show up when they know the tree is in the line and it's still hot?

I don't mean to sound too jaded but I'm pretty sure all they're registering is that we have power.  Kim's going to call back and lie.  She's been watching videos of stuff happening to and with power lines.  Mostly high voltage but we're not messing with any of it.  She didn't even go to work today.  They're freaking pine trees.  If one of those embers gets lucky...   We talked through the chicken evacuation plan last night. 

Trip in the house or on the transformer?  Should I dump power to the house? 

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #3926 on: February 27, 2019, 10:40:03 AM »
it will trip the upstream device (fuse, sectionalizer, OCR, etc.) nothing to worry about on your end power wise. just stay away from it.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3927 on: February 27, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »
Meh, what could go wrong?

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #3928 on: February 27, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
either the wire will burn in half, the tree will burn in half or there will get to be enough carbon that the current flow trips the protective device.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3929 on: February 27, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
Apparently, there have been 2 trucks and 5 guys from a tree company sitting in their trucks for the last >3 hours waiting for the linemen.  Not sure what those boys are getting paid / hr to sit there but I'm pretty sure what we pay for power will take YEARS to cover the cost of this call.  We average 50-60 bucks a month for power.  :)

Kim said she's watching smoke roll off the trees sitting on the wires. 

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #3930 on: February 27, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »
probably contract tree trimmers so they won't touch it because it's energized.   

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3931 on: February 28, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
And after only 4 days, the trees are finally off my power lines.  Lots of rope and pole saw work.  5 guys including the power guy and nearly 3 hours later it's done.  But no chickens or people or dogs were hurt in the process so I suppose all is well.  Not really, but I've taken up enough of this thread.  There remains a small piece of branch that they couldn't get off the wire.  Dude said get used to it cuz that could be there for years. 

Did make a tree guy contact tho for future side work so that's a bonus. 

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #3932 on: February 28, 2019, 01:07:15 PM »
WTF do people buy a 4x4 pickup or SUV for and then waste the whole green light trying to get their one wheel wonder across the intersection? pull the damn lever, push the button, whatever you need to do to make the thing work! you paid extra for it why not use it?

Offline CLAY

« Reply #3933 on: February 28, 2019, 01:37:56 PM »
WTF do people buy a 4x4 pickup or SUV for and then waste the whole green light trying to get their one wheel wonder across the intersection? pull the damn lever, push the button, whatever you need to do to make the thing work! you paid extra for it why not use it?

I have a buddy with that problem/issue.  Drives me crazy when I need to ride with him in slippery conditions.  He says he likes to see if he can do it in two-wheel.  I do not understand that.

Online Skee

• Contributor
And after only 4 days, the trees are finally off my power lines.  Lots of rope and pole saw work.  5 guys including the power guy and nearly 3 hours later it's done.  But no chickens or people or dogs were hurt in the process so I suppose all is well.  Not really, but I've taken up enough of this thread.  There remains a small piece of branch that they couldn't get off the wire.  Dude said get used to it cuz that could be there for years. 

Couldn’t live like that.  I need my internet.  Must have electric.  Be like liven ina cave.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still

Couldn’t live like that.  I need my internet.  Must have electric.  Be like liven ina cave.

We never lost power for more than a few seconds until dude showed up to flip the switch off.  We heat with a wood stove so there was nearly zero impact.  Our internet is pretty weak anyway so we don't have much of an addiction.  You COULD live like that.  You've just become soft.  :)  It's really not that big a deal. 

Offline Black Hills

Winter, I'm F*&^ing sick of it!! -15 in March is BS.....

Online chornbe

• Contributor
Winter, I'm F*&^ing sick of it!! -15 in March is BS.....

Hmm... take a breath. Then quit your bitching. You do this to yourselves, out there.

I swore I'd never return to the plains states after working Winter in Linton, ND.

You people who live out there ("whatchoo mean, YOU PEOPLE???") are just nuts. You're all insane. JUST MOVE TO WHERE YOU WON'T DIE JUST WALKING TO YOUR CAR. WHY DO YOU LIVE WHERE THE AIR HURTS????

Freaks!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Black Hills

haha, ya, but..... the cold isn't bad in it's usually small doses. but this year is insane. I typically get a ride in every month and it gets close to 50 at least every couple weeks. It was 62 somewhere around the first of Feb. and hasn't been above freezing since!!
my original comment stands and now that I had to think about it I'm even more pissed off???

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
My daughter's boy friend is spending the winter in Fermont near Wabush and Labrador city. Today is a balmy -13°C and tonight it's going down to -27°C. It's been constantly cold since early October.
He calls us in the "south" wusses.  :lol:
Ride safe!

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2016 Yamaha Super Tenny
Drivers in Vancouver. I didn't think it could get much worse than the Seattle area but I was wrong. It's odd too because there's some seriously nice cars up there, we saw Ferraris, Lambo's, Maserati's, AMG Mercedes are a dime a dozen.. Hell even the poor people drive BMW's but Gad Damn they drive like assholes. I guess all that Canadian niceness gets pent up and released when they're behind the wheel. Fucking looney bastards.

Surprised we made it out of there in one piece. Other than that I love Vancouver, what a fun city!
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
I live in North/Central Ontario.  We got our first snow this year Sept. 29.  It's cold here, this morning -20C which is typical, we dip into the -30's in January and Feb.  We've also had a shit ton of snow. About 4' on the ground.  We usually get the bulk of our snow in March - which we just started.

So ya, the cold can kill you. So can the snow.  So can the freezing rain. So can the rain. So can the wildfires. So can the earthquakes. So can the tornadoes. So can the hurricanes.  You get the idea.

Do I think guys to the south are wimps. Nope.  I think we adapt and prepare. If you don't do either, your gonna have a bad time.

Someday, I'll end up moving south and staring at the surf for hours on end while the sun bakes my frost bitten brain. At the end of the day, I'll crawl into my refrigerator box and try to remember if that situation is better than the current situation.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
Rodentia

I'm normally very meh about critters.  Knock yourself out, just not in my house.  However, someone ate some wiring in my truck and it's not covered under warranty.  Fuzzy little demons.  I know I know I know...  I moved to where the animals live.  But still.  237 dollars to fix a wire that some little bucktooth ________ decided to chew on. 

Neighbor had to replace the entire main wiring harness in his Transformers camaro so I'm not crying too loud. 

I need to start looking into installing a lift in my garage.  ugh.

Offline Black Hills

thought you had cats???  maybe there are living a little to easy? put them to work..lol

Offline Baxter

• Motorcycles: Ninja 650R
This is more of a mild complaint than a rant.  Upon retirement, we decided to move closer to family and get one-level living if possible.  We found a townhouse we liked, with a great location, but the seller had decided to exclude several light fixtures from the transaction. 

So we offered low, basing the offer on the retail price of fixtures and the enormous bother of picking out new ones and getting them installed before we move in (or just adding another DIY project to my list).  Then, after we get the price down, the seller's agent asks whether we would like to buy the fixtures as a side deal.  So now, looking at the fixtures as a seprate purchase, we didn't offer near what the seller wanted for them alone (she wanted $5k for 7 fixtures), and so she is taking them with her and we are buying new. If the seller had not excluded these fixtures, we may have offered more for the house than the combined final agreed upon price of the house and the separate-sale price she wanted for the lights. Still, we're ahead by $3k after buying the new lights. So that's good.

But it has taken multiple trips to multiple stores, and hours comparing online, for my wife to find the best possible replacements (that I can tolerate). Whereas if any reasonable looking lights were just included with the house, my wife probably wouldn't have thought we needed to replace them.   (And now a small side-rant: I could have picked out replacements in about one hour at the big box store, and most likely would have spent less.)  So the time spent on this, our hashing out what each finds acceptable, and the general bother of having to replace them in the new home, could have been avoided entirely had the seller tried to sell with the existing lightsin the regular way or just replaced them with something that reasonable people would not find objectionable prior to listing.  And had the seller done that, she might have made more money.

Still, $3k is $3k for other projects, and retired couples have plenty of time for shopping & arguing over this kind of stuff.   :D  But this new home has more hardwood floors than our present home, so we'll probably just spend that money on area rugs. :'( 
I broke the internet!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
We HAD a single cat who would have likely played with a mouse or just barked at it.  Hemi is far more likely to do some mousing than Lane ever would have been.

But since this is the rant thread...  Third time i have tried to explain to svc dept the exhaust noise and still no fix. Gah Finally got a guy on the ground and made him touch the problem.  I was a polite sort of irate this time. Last 2 times I was too nice. Not rocket surgery people...

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
Being required to attend a 3.5 day workshop for work in which you are not told what the purpose or subject is, nor, are you given a singe example of 'its' application in the world.  Therefore you are totally disconnected from a non-existant subject.

I'm on a deadline, I need to be at my desk. This is bullshit.

Throw in the speaker, who has a highly educated philosopher and would be really interesting to talk to on the deck over beers, is essentially a dick who solicits comments and then immediately derides and condescends the questioner. If you catch him on something he just waves his hand and tells you to sit down.  Asshole.

-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
Being required to attend a 3.5 day workshop for work in which you are not told what the purpose or subject is, nor, are you given a singe example of 'its' application in the world.  Therefore you are totally disconnected from a non-existant subject.

I'm on a deadline, I need to be at my desk. This is bullshit.

Throw in the speaker, who has a highly educated philosopher and would be really interesting to talk to on the deck over beers, is essentially a dick who solicits comments and then immediately derides and condescends the questioner. If you catch him on something he just waves his hand and tells you to sit down.  Asshole.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

sit down

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
In a world already rife with careless or incompetent drivers, there's a bill in TX that would allow parents to test their kids for DL instead of going through TxDPS as we currently do.

With things like in the video (in a school zone during a school day), we don't want more of it.

http://www.fjr-tips.org/misc/pics/StopSign.mp4
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:31:33 AM by Bounce »

Online chornbe

• Contributor
I a world already rife with careless or incompetent drivers, there's a bill in TX that would allow parents to test their kids for DL instead of going through TxDPS as we currently do.

With things like in the video (in a school zone during a school day), we don't want more of it.

http://www.fjr-tips.org/misc/pics/StopSign.mp4

I saw that and was hard-pressed to come up with a worse (real world) idea. Resurrecting Charles Manson using the blood of Hitler and the doctrine of the Catholics read backwards using black candles and red moonlight was pretty close... but still not there.