Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW  (Read 724372 times)

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Re: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW
« Reply #4950 on: February 18, 2021, 08:11:06 AM »
Texas electric providers always getting every rate hike they ask for but clearly not investing it in infrastructure.

As a former North Dakotan for 30 years, I was extremely surprised by news accounts showing how fragile Texas' electric grid and production infrastructure has proven to be.  This storm simply hasn't produced enough snow, ice, wind or cold temps for this mess to be justified.  How could NG electric plants fail just from slightly chilly temps?  Unbelievable.  And the additional claim that wind & solar failed is really bizarre since they both work well in ND winters.

So don't believe anyone who says it can't be built for these conditions.  They likely have an agenda that doesn't involve the truth.

it's a much bigger issue than texas infrastructure. SPP, the regional transmission organization that runs the bulk electric system down the middle of the country from Canada to texas ran out of generation capacity. no wind was on line, caol was at 100% and gas peaking plants had no fuel dueto unprecedented consumption at the consumer level. a perfect storm if you will. SPP was dropping load with rolling blackouts all the way up in the Dakotas. it's a mess.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
Re: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW
« Reply #4951 on: February 18, 2021, 09:09:02 AM »
No one could predict that climate change might change our weather.
Oh, wait...
 :couch:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #4952 on: February 18, 2021, 09:48:38 AM »
No one could predict that climate change might change our weather.
Oh, wait...
 :couch:

I thought that was "Global Warming".  Oh yeah, when that didn't scare enough people, the name changed to Climate Change.
old enough to know better

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4953 on: February 18, 2021, 10:12:57 AM »
SPP just announced all alerts are expired and they are back to normal operations, good news! makes my day a lot easier.

if you are interested in that type of thing:  https://spp.org/markets-operations/current-grid-conditions/
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650
« Reply #4954 on: February 18, 2021, 11:17:51 AM »
SPP just announced all alerts are expired and they are back to normal operations, good news! makes my day a lot easier.

if you are interested in that type of thing:  https://spp.org/markets-operations/current-grid-conditions/
But they are NOT back to "normal operations"
Per the grid conditions link;   "in a period of conservative operations until 10 p.m. Central time, Feb. 20, for the entire SPP balancing authority area."
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4955 on: February 18, 2021, 11:46:53 AM »
true, should be "no longer in an emergency situation"  ;)

Offline Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #4956 on: February 18, 2021, 12:41:07 PM »
I thought that was "Global Warming".  Oh yeah, when that didn't scare enough people, the name changed to Climate Change.

It isn't about "scaring" people, but making it more accurate. So many idiots looked at the snow outside their window and said "Huh. So much for Global WARMING".   :rolleyes:

Climate change is what is really happening.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #4957 on: February 19, 2021, 09:01:12 AM »
The climate is constantly changing. Always has, always will. In the U.S., you could shut down every coal plant and refinery, ban cars, and stop all the cows from farting by eating artificial beef, and 3 factories in China would still pollute the world. Carbon credit$- now that's where it's really happening. Just ask Al Gore. Ask the people freezing in the country what they think about moving us to"Green Power".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 09:19:59 AM by minimac »
old enough to know better

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #4958 on: February 19, 2021, 09:51:51 AM »
Texas electric providers always getting every rate hike they ask for but clearly not investing it in infrastructure.

As a former North Dakotan for 30 years, I was extremely surprised by news accounts showing how fragile Texas' electric grid and production infrastructure has proven to be.  This storm simply hasn't produced enough snow, ice, wind or cold temps for this mess to be justified.  How could NG electric plants fail just from slightly chilly temps?  Unbelievable.  And the additional claim that wind & solar failed is really bizarre since they both work well in ND winters.

So don't believe anyone who says it can't be built for these conditions.  They likely have an agenda that doesn't involve the truth.

If you've been involved in budget planning, you know you plan for the 80% or 90%. That extra 10-20% will cost you 80-90% of your total. We are geared for the routine 2 months above 100º since it's every year. What happened after the 2011 Superbowl blackouts was that the legislators added a guideline for winterizing but failed to make it mandatory. Bean counters over ruled suggestions  and recommendations by engineers and support crews (remember the Challenger?).

Would ND build to handle 2 months of 100+º temps when they don't see that very often? Do people in ND even own AC?

That guideline will probably change to a mandate this next congressional session. When I first moved to the area, TXU Electric had the monopoly and the Energy "commission" would rubber stamp any rate hike requested. The first 3 or 4 years saw 25% rate hikes every year getting approved. Clearly they didn't put that back into infrastructure.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #4959 on: February 19, 2021, 03:27:12 PM »

If you've been involved in budget planning, you know you plan for the 80% or 90%. That extra 10-20% will cost you 80-90% of your total. We are geared for the routine 2 months above 100º since it's every year. What happened after the 2011 Superbowl blackouts was that the legislators added a guideline for winterizing but failed to make it mandatory. Bean counters over ruled suggestions  and recommendations by engineers and support crews (remember the Challenger?).

Would ND build to handle 2 months of 100+º temps when they don't see that very often? Do people in ND even own AC?

That guideline will probably change to a mandate this next congressional session. When I first moved to the area, TXU Electric had the monopoly and the Energy "commission" would rubber stamp any rate hike requested. The first 3 or 4 years saw 25% rate hikes every year getting approved. Clearly they didn't put that back into infrastructure.

I've been involved with critical infrastructure budget planning indirectly as an agency lawyer.  And how it's budgeted depends on the consequences of failure.  If the consequences are minimal, then it's ok to build fragile.  But where the system is critical to life, then build robustly.  The key is to think like a living system.

Some people I worked with were influenced by "Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.  I only recently read this book, and should have much earlier.  One of his discussions involved infrastructure and natural disaster.  We always build to the most recent greatest disaster. But what we built previously was also designed to meet the last prior greatest disaster, and that didn't work.  We are always behind.  His solution was to copy nature and build about ten percent stronger than the last disaster (he used examples such as muscle and bone strength, or immune response, which respond to stress by overbuilding by about that amount).  If we followed this example, the next record disaster might not overwhelm the 10% stronger infrastructure, which would give us time to build yet bigger without suffering a disaster if the prior record is broken again.  This is actually less expensive in the long run.  But, as you say, bean counters.   >:(

Usually the improved infrastructure's cost isn't that much if it's designed that way from the beginning.  The additions to make a wind turbine good to -30 include an anti-ice coating on the blades, and little heaters on the pitch motors and the turbine itself.  It's really not much more added to the appx. $3-4 million wind tower cost at the time of construction. 

Part of our problem is that the people who directly pay for infrastructure don't typically bear the risk of loss.  They can thus gamble with a "just enough" response.  My guess is that the financial damages to homeowners and businesses, not including the loss of life, is going to be greater than the cost of having built a more robust infrastructure as things were constructed or rebuilt over the years.  Now, bringing it all up to speed at once, well that's gonna be expensive.

And ND weather seems to have the worst of both worlds.  Our winters are "Legendary" (ND Tourism's slogan  ;D).  We plan on that.  But our summers have grown worse over the past 30 years.  We typically see July and August in the upper 90s with over 20 mph winds, while we used to see only a handful of days break 80f.  Several days a year are above 100, the worst I experienced was 114F and 60 mph wind.  No brownouts.  I'll concede that I don't know whether 2 months of 110f would be sustainable.  But to your point, almost every inhabited building has AC.  We took advantage of the energy rebates from about 10 or 12 years ago to also increase our AC capacity as well at the old ND homestead.  Summers had changed that much from when we initially built the house.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:03:11 PM by Baxter »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #4960 on: February 19, 2021, 04:35:18 PM »

But they are NOT back to "normal operations"
Per the grid conditions link;   "in a period of conservative operations until 10 p.m. Central time, Feb. 20, for the entire SPP balancing authority area."

So, everything just needs to become more robust!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #4961 on: February 19, 2021, 05:06:15 PM »
As in racing.  If it never breaks it is too strong / heavy. 
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #4962 on: February 19, 2021, 06:21:37 PM »

It isn't about "scaring" people, but making it more accurate. So many idiots looked at the snow outside their window and said "Huh. So much for Global WARMING".   :rolleyes:

Climate change is what is really happening.

^What she said.  It started off with "Global Warming", but warming in some areas actually makes it cooler in other areas.  The climate is changing.  On average we are getting warmer, but climate is a VERY complex thing.

The climate is constantly changing. Always has, always will. In the U.S., you could shut down every coal plant and refinery, ban cars, and stop all the cows from farting by eating artificial beef, and 3 factories in China would still pollute the world. Carbon credit$- now that's where it's really happening. Just ask Al Gore. Ask the people freezing in the country what they think about moving us to"Green Power".

You also are correct.  While we all can do our part, but the biggest offenders don't really care (namely China).  And yes, the climate has always been changing, but right now it appears to be changing at a rate that is unprecedented.  That's not gonna be good for any of us, nor our children, nor the species that can't adapt fast enough.

It's gonna be interesting.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:35:09 PM by CLAY »
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #4963 on: February 19, 2021, 06:43:54 PM »
And by species that won't adapt, you mean millennials, right?
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #4964 on: February 19, 2021, 07:35:55 PM »
And by species that won't adapt, you mean millennials, right?

:lol:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4965 on: February 20, 2021, 09:04:57 AM »
I don't disagree with Baxter's response (I just didn't feel the need to quote it).

The trick is that the last big event like this was during the 2011 Superbowl. As a result legislators added "winterizing" as a guideline. Their failure to make it required was the flaw that lead to this event.

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #4966 on: February 22, 2021, 07:36:37 PM »
When I bought my '08 Highlander there was a bolt missing from the back of the air cleaner cover. The one on the front was still there so I figured I'd replace the back one when I got around to it. I ordered a new air filter and cabin air filter the other day and noticed they had the bolts so I bought two (one to use and one to lose), I changed the air filter myself and took the vehicle to the Toyota dealer for an oil change and their multi point inspection. Today the cabin air filter showed up in the mail along with the filter cover bolts so I changed it and went to do the airbox bolts. Low and behold the "mechanic" appears to have broken off the one remaining bolt by over tightening it.

I wouldn't be so pissed if the guy had been up front and copped to it and either easy-outed the bolt or ordered a new housing. Instead either he or the service writer didn't say anything about it, hoping I wouldn't notice. I took pictures and sent them to the service advisor who set up a time for me to take it in tomorrow for them to look at, hopefully to step up and repair or replace it.

I'm still out the time I'll waste sitting there, over something I shouldn't have to deal with in the first place, and that someone within their organization tried to hide. I hate this kind of negligence, I've been working on cars and bikes for over 50 years and I know full well shit happens, when it does you step up and make it right instead of trying to sweep it under the rug.

I'll give them a chance to make it right, if not I'll write a factual review of the issue for their service department survey and let them stew on it. They seem to place a lot of stock on their "5 star reviews" so that will do more good than getting loud about it.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online stevent

« Reply #4967 on: February 23, 2021, 08:03:39 PM »
Well the Toyota dealer Service Writer fell on his sword as expected. They drilled out the broken bolt and replaced it, replaced the one in the back that wasn't asked for and replaced a vacuum line I didn't know was missing. Plus they washed the car, so I guess all's well that ends well.

Since this is a rant thread I had to sit there gagging with a stupid mask on for two hours while they pulled the airbox and easy-outed the bolt. Plus their coffee tasted like shit and they didn't have sleeves for the cheapo cups they had. They used to have free cookies too which were nowhere to be seen.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4968 on: February 24, 2021, 07:50:48 AM »
Well the Toyota dealer Service Writer fell on his sword as expected. They drilled out the broken bolt and replaced it, replaced the one in the back that wasn't asked for and replaced a vacuum line I didn't know was missing. Plus they washed the car, so I guess all's well that ends well.

Since this is a rant thread I had to sit there gagging with a stupid mask on for two hours while they pulled the airbox and easy-outed the bolt. Plus their coffee tasted like shit and they didn't have sleeves for the cheapo cups they had. They used to have free cookies too which were nowhere to be seen.

the VID has done away with all the free treats, lucky they still have coffee.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4969 on: February 24, 2021, 07:55:21 AM »

Tru dat! Most places (even the Audi dealership) have pulled their drinks and snacks.

Online stevent

« Reply #4970 on: February 24, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »

Tru dat! Most places (even the Audi dealership) have pulled their drinks and snacks.

I usually just stop at Starbuckets or Gravity Coffee and get an Americano but I wanted to get this over with. I was surprised they had the coffee machine on but they may as well have saved themselves the trouble.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
« Reply #4971 on: February 26, 2021, 07:00:09 AM »
Take out food quality has taken a major hit during this pandemic in my area.  Ranting as I suffer with apparent food poisoning due to improperly cooked Chinese take out from my favorite place.  Up almost all night with the usual nasty symptoms.  Not the first time it's happened since Jan 2020.  All three places that have sickened me will never ever get another order ever.  Thankfully, I had some Pepto tablets hidden away in my laptop case.  It's helped abate the queasies. Pushing the fluids to keep hydrated.

And for the benefit of all, no pictures of the suffering. 
--Tom

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4972 on: February 26, 2021, 08:01:54 AM »
Bummer. A confirmation that my practice of nuking take-out until it (at least) starts steaming is a good one. Something I started doing after getting a serious case from some take-out chicken.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:29:54 AM by Bounce »

Online stevent

« Reply #4973 on: February 26, 2021, 07:11:56 PM »
I got food poisoning from a crab & shrimp enchilada a couple of years ago. You well and truly have my sympathy.

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
My sympathy as well. I can eat lettuce at home, but if its in takeout, pretty much a given I'm gonna be in distress for a bit.

Then theirs the shrimp-ring bubble fart experience. To this day I refuse to eat sea-bugs
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu

...the shrimp-ring bubble fart experience.
Hellofa band!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online stevent

...the shrimp-ring bubble fart experience.
Hellofa band!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Meh... one shit wonders   :rolleyes:

Online stevent

Why do new pick-ups headlights have to be so bright? Plus because those turds get bigger every year they seem to be right at eye level with their 15 bazillion candle watt bulbs.

I think giant pick-ups are an asshole litmus test anyway, you see so many of them around here with a 4 door cab and a 3 foot bed. You know damn well the owner's never hauled anything other than a 10 lb bag of dirt from Home Depot in the back so they're totally useless anyway. Now they seem to be outright trying to blind their fellow motorists. Kind of a sick twist on Harley riders Look at me loud pipes.

Hopefully with gas prices heading towards $5.00 a gallon they'll park the ga'dam things and buy a fucking Prius. Al least you can see around them.

Online Flyer

You can get a Hemi in a Prius.
 :shrug:
https://youtu.be/XOYkn41gkVw

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen