Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW  (Read 708027 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
Re: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW
« Reply #4850 on: December 23, 2020, 06:38:31 AM »
  Well it's that time of year again, holiday office party time. First off I work for a local government agency so things are a bit different from for profit companies. This year has me scratching my head.
  My Manager, I report directly to him, gave me a holiday present today. Now I don't expect a lot considering I make more than he does, but a SCRATCH OFF LOTTERY TICKET?? WTF? Did he just stop off at a quicky mart on the way in... What the heck I have saved his ass more than a few times this year, frackin scratch off ticket :bluduh:
 Next comes the office party, now this one takes the cake. I am given a menu from a local restaurant and am asked to pick what I would like for lunch tomorrow. Now I am not too much on big lunches so I just picked a patty melt and garlic fries with no drink (total cost $16.85), easy and fairly cheap. Well later in the day I get the E-mail (blanket to the whole department)  Asking that we all bring in cash tomorrow to pay for the lunch at a tune of $27 each ???  WTFUFF I mean crap I helped set up the budget for the department a year ago and I know they have a account that they can charge the lunch to.  :mad:  I am thinking of canceling my order and just bring a bag lunch and eating in my office.

Yeah, I'd totally bail on that.  Not cool.  Can't buy the team lunch?  Sorry, can't be bothered to join in your stupid reindeer games.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
Re: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW
« Reply #4851 on: December 23, 2020, 08:10:05 AM »
Better idea, go out for lunch and don't come back for the day.
--Tom

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #4852 on: December 23, 2020, 08:13:55 AM »
  Well it's that time of year again, holiday office party time. First off I work for a local government agency so things are a bit different from for profit companies. This year has me scratching my head.
  My Manager, I report directly to him, gave me a holiday present today. Now I don't expect a lot considering I make more than he does, but a SCRATCH OFF LOTTERY TICKET?? WTF? Did he just stop off at a quicky mart on the way in... What the heck I have saved his ass more than a few times this year, frackin scratch off ticket :bluduh:
 Next comes the office party, now this one takes the cake. I am given a menu from a local restaurant and am asked to pick what I would like for lunch tomorrow. Now I am not too much on big lunches so I just picked a patty melt and garlic fries with no drink (total cost $16.85), easy and fairly cheap. Well later in the day I get the E-mail (blanket to the whole department)  Asking that we all bring in cash tomorrow to pay for the lunch at a tune of $27 each ???  WTFUFF I mean crap I helped set up the budget for the department a year ago and I know they have a account that they can charge the lunch to.  :mad:  I am thinking of canceling my order and just bring a bag lunch and eating in my office.

Hopefully this isn’t an indication of your manager’s organizational ability and people skills because otherwise ... right?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #4853 on: December 23, 2020, 08:22:24 AM »
Found out today that an item I ordered on !2/2, with assurance of a delivery date of "by 12/15" hasn't even been made yet. Redline Steel-you suck!

Not unlike Optics Planet who had a scope with a 2-week back order that I jumped on. Any time it got within a couple of days of that window closing, they would slip it another 2 weeks. After 7 months of this, I called the mfgr (Sig) and was told they hadn't even started testing it yet. When complaining to anyone who would listen at the range, I heard from others that this is a long-time issue with Optics Planet.

We had a limit of $25 between peers and bosses were discouraged (maybe verboten) from accepting presents from those they manage unless in a general office-party, random gift exchange (Dirty Santa).  In the regulations.

Yeah. I'd bow out of the meal, bring in a sack lunch, and (if asked) explain the above about the party fund not being used as originally intended.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4854 on: December 23, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »
..dupe..

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4855 on: December 23, 2020, 08:30:34 AM »

Wow!  that's insane..   I explained to the CEO that it's been a crappy year all around so I'm buying beer for the guys at 4:00 on Wednesday so there will be a little party in the lineman's room. His reply "good idea".   it's not really that hard?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4856 on: December 23, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »
No booze on premises at any of the gov't places I worked. Making it clear that  it was another thing the politicians got a pass on because they'd have to be blotto to vote for some of the stuff they do.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4857 on: December 23, 2020, 08:51:03 AM »
WE have a no alcohol policy, but it can be suspended temporarily LOL....
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4858 on: December 23, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »
Yeah, that's flexible.  I may or may not work in a federal facility.  I'm not saying that there was butterscotch moonshine being passed around last Friday before our Christmas lunch and white elephant but...  Nor am I saying that there is a cabinet in the back which allows the special coffee to be made on any given day with nary an eyebrow raised, but... 

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #4859 on: December 23, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »
No booze on premises at any of the gov't places I worked. Making it clear that  it was another thing the politicians got a pass on because they'd have to be blotto to vote for some of the stuff they do.
:lol:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Offline Sock Muppet

« Reply #4860 on: December 24, 2020, 06:18:52 AM »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #4861 on: December 24, 2020, 08:15:01 AM »

Adbot approves.

Great googly-moogly!

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #4862 on: December 24, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
Computers. I Fucking hate computers. And cell phones, and the stupid Fucking Verizon cloud photo storage that saves every God damn picture you take. I use the cell phone camera at work a lot for referencing part numbers or equipment serial numbers and so on. When I finally figured out (ok, my wife told me) how to access my pictures in the cloud I have nearly 1200 pictures. At least half of which are just one time reference photos from work. Apparently you have to delete them one at a time? Whomever thought that one up should be boiled in oil. To quote Jamie Lee Curtis, "calling them stupid is an insult to stupid people".

And of course the work computers acting up so I'm sitting here like a bump on a Fucking log waiting for IT to call.. Jeezus Ke-fucking-rist, what a total waste of time. I should just go home, the days fucked and it isn't even 0830 yet.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4863 on: December 24, 2020, 10:34:35 AM »
So disable cloud storage and do manual backups.

You're welcome.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #4864 on: December 24, 2020, 10:35:24 AM »
Computers. I Fucking hate computers. And cell phones, and the stupid Fucking Verizon cloud photo storage that saves every God damn picture you take. I use the cell phone camera at work a lot for referencing part numbers or equipment serial numbers and so on. When I finally figured out (ok, my wife told me) how to access my pictures in the cloud I have nearly 1200 pictures. At least half of which are just one time reference photos from work. Apparently you have to delete them one at a time? Whomever thought that one up should be boiled in oil. To quote Jamie Lee Curtis, "calling them stupid is an insult to stupid people".

:inlove:^That

Wait till he finds out that after you delete the photos in the cloud, they mysteriously reappear.   :mad:
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online stevent

« Reply #4865 on: December 24, 2020, 10:51:33 AM »
We'll at least the computers working now. The IT guy was able to figure it out in 2 minutes flat.

I still hate computers though, and I don't even want to think about the stupid cloud...
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #4866 on: December 24, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »
Not kidding you.  I have automatic backups turned off for years.  But I have had contacts come back from the dead - several times - I guess my phone doesn't want me to forget them.   I was able to delete more than one photo in the cloud at a time, but the selection process is clunky.  For reasons I still do not understand - I am sure it must be my fault for not configuring the service properly - a large number of photos that I deleted from my phone and then from the cloud reappeared on my phone.  I suspect they snuck in the backdoor and downloaded onto my phone while I was in the process of deleting them from the cloud.  Let's face it, the developers want to own and manage your data; else they wouldn't make it so difficult for you to do it.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #4867 on: December 24, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »
To quote Jamie Lee Curtis, "calling them stupid is an insult to stupid people".
That is one of my favourite quotes, and fairly aimed at Otto (Kevin Klein).

Outstanding early morning rant.
 The day’s still young...
 :popcorn:
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online stevent

« Reply #4868 on: December 24, 2020, 02:44:05 PM »
To quote Jamie Lee Curtis, "calling them stupid is an insult to stupid people".
That is one of my favourite quotes, and fairly aimed at Otto (Kevin Klein).

Outstanding early morning rant.
 The day’s still young...
 :popcorn:

At your service..

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4869 on: December 24, 2020, 04:07:08 PM »
Yeah, so, apparently every time your phone does an update to it's stuff, a bunch of settings like that get reset back to what they want it to be.  Check your security stuff often.  Just cuz you changed it doesn't mean it's still changed.  Remember clicking on that button that said accept terms and agreements?  Bet it's in there somewhere.  Tinfoilhat...

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4870 on: December 25, 2020, 08:49:09 AM »
Not kidding you.  I have automatic backups turned off for years.  But I have had contacts come back from the dead - several times - I guess my phone doesn't want me to forget them.   I was able to delete more than one photo in the cloud at a time, but the selection process is clunky.  For reasons I still do not understand - I am sure it must be my fault for not configuring the service properly - a large number of photos that I deleted from my phone and then from the cloud reappeared on my phone.  I suspect they snuck in the backdoor and downloaded onto my phone while I was in the process of deleting them from the cloud.  Let's face it, the developers want to own and manage your data; else they wouldn't make it so difficult for you to do it.

Turn off networking (airplane mode) then turn off the phone, use your computer to go to the cloud storage. Delete all you don't want. Turn on your phone and delete all the same photos before disabling airplane mode. Then, while busy with all that, turn OFF cloud storage/backup (google how for your phone).

Connect the phone to your computer (WiFi or cable) and do a manual backup to the local storage that you own and control.  Cloud also isn't private no matter what claims you read. Many storage providers will hand over the world even without a warrant.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4871 on: January 02, 2021, 03:24:35 PM »
Just got done re-installing the heat shield on the Subaru.  Got it back from the shop 2ish days ago from having a new used transmission installed.  Of course, after every trip to the shop, there is the inevitable "what was that noise - was that rattle there before? - Was that a metal thump or a tire thump?"  So there were a couple sounds I couldn't identify and they changed some.  Today we took the car for a short jaunt to run errands.  The noises got louder so when we got back, Kim looked under the car as she was closing the gate and said, "somethings hanging down...it's metal"  Gah. 

Pulled into the garage and up onto the ramps and found the heat shield between the exhaust and the driveshaft was dangling.  2 of the 4 bolts remained and both were nearly out.  Like less than 2 turns w/ fingers and they came out.  Luckily, because I'm that guy, I was able to source 2 bolts w/ the right thread pitch from my stash and got it put back on.  I was just going to take it off and go back to the shop and have them make it right but I didn't want to risk what not having it there might lead to.  Looks like they set it in place and just turned the bolts in a couple turns to hold it in place and never got back to tightening it.  Thinking back, I did hear what I thought was a rock being thrown up into the undercarriage of the car which isn't atypical around here at all.  Almost certainly one of the bolts. 

So all is well and it's nice and quiet again but now I'm wondering what else under there didn't get tightened back up all the way.  Grrrr.  You got one job.  Granted it's a complicated one but just have someone double check your work.  This wasn't a favor.  I paid over 1700 dollars for this service.  Am I out of line expecting all the stuff to be tightened back up at the end and not falling off my car? 

Online stevent

« Reply #4872 on: January 02, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »
No not at all. Shoddy workmanship is unacceptable. I figure they had no trouble cashing my check, I'd better have no trouble with the work being done.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650
« Reply #4873 on: January 08, 2021, 03:22:44 PM »
Amazon has found a new low
I'm on the edge of a city.   The TV station antennas / towers are about 135 degrees around me.
Digital / HD antennas (to receive)  are directional. 
I've been living with a few channels not coming through very clear - esp. worse in certain weather.
I'm shopping for an omni-directional antenna.   
I found two on Amazon with good ratings.
NOTE:  Ratings are just the # of stars.  There are ratings w/o reviews! 
So I start to read the reviews.
THE VAST MAJORITY ARE NOT IN ENGLISH!!  WTF good does that do me?!?!?
Some of the english reviews of one antenna are for/about rechargable batteries.  W.T.F...  No idea how many of the ratings and non-english reviews are for/about batteries.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 06:41:56 AM by HipGnosis »
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Flyer

« Reply #4874 on: January 09, 2021, 05:36:00 AM »
That “Mad Scientist” wiry eyebrow hair that defiantly invades and ghosts vision in one eye, and absolutely refuses to smooth back into place.  :firedevil:

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4876 on: January 09, 2021, 09:50:28 AM »
That “Mad Scientist” wiry eyebrow hair that defiantly invades and ghosts vision in one eye, and absolutely refuses to smooth back into place.  :firedevil:

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #4877 on: January 09, 2021, 11:24:56 AM »

My gal straddles my chest once in a while and plucks my eyebrows.  Keeping me tidy!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4878 on: January 09, 2021, 02:41:40 PM »
Number 5 setting on clippers is for eyebrows. It's the ear hairs that get me.  And those are no fun to pull out.

Online Flyer

Re: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFE
« Reply #4879 on: January 09, 2021, 07:23:45 PM »
BRB.
YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!
 :gerg:
You were saying...

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #4880 on: January 10, 2021, 10:42:46 AM »
It just the natural migration of hair from the front hairline and top, to the back, ears, nose- and the effect of gravity from the frontal hairline to the eyebrows. You'll usually find that gravity has the same effect on your chest, as it sinks silently lower and lower.
old enough to know better

Online Flyer

« Reply #4881 on: January 10, 2021, 11:37:47 AM »
It just the natural migration of hair from the front hairline and top, to the back, ears, nose- and the effect of gravity from the frontal hairline to the eyebrows. You'll usually find that gravity has the same effect on your chest, as it sinks silently lower and lower.
Well, now I feel better... :rolleyes:
Next up, pendulous testicles.
 :willy:

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #4882 on: January 10, 2021, 08:39:30 PM »

Consider yourself lucky. I get those from my eyelashes. They grow into my eye and have been known to scratch my eye. After the first $50 trip to the eye doctor. The wife and I figured out how to peel back my eyelid and identify and yank the offenders. Pretty much 2-3 times a week nowadays.
Great googly-moogly!

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4883 on: January 20, 2021, 09:05:58 AM »
I originally posted this on what I did non-moto but it's really more at home here.

Went over to one of the companies I still do computer support for.They were having odd printer problems with a Win10 slaved printer via USB. Worked, then didn't, then did. Ugh.

Checked the hosting PC and everything was fine. Checked the one that couldn't print... MF'ing temp they use for book keeping switched the LOCAL ACCOUNT settings over to HER PERSONAL Microsoft account with all the associations and syncing of HER PERSONAL PHONE, GMAIL, Etc.

Which, of course meant that SHE wasn't authorized to do anything local (you know... the actual jobs the owner bought the equipment for). But she could sure play her on-line games (seen by the boss from out in the shop).

Ripped all that associations out and BINGEAUX everything worked normally again.

It's not ALL her fault. Win10 hides the "local account login" link in fine print while all of the MS Account crap is in bold. But it's her fault for using the business resources for personal use.

The boss and I had a talk.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:28:09 AM by Bounce »

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4884 on: January 20, 2021, 04:15:10 PM »
Just got done re-installing the heat shield on the Subaru.  Got it back from the shop 2ish days ago from having a new used transmission installed.  Of course, after every trip to the shop, there is the inevitable "what was that noise - was that rattle there before? - Was that a metal thump or a tire thump?"  So there were a couple sounds I couldn't identify and they changed some.  Today we took the car for a short jaunt to run errands.  The noises got louder so when we got back, Kim looked under the car as she was closing the gate and said, "somethings hanging down...it's metal"  Gah. 

Pulled into the garage and up onto the ramps and found the heat shield between the exhaust and the driveshaft was dangling.  2 of the 4 bolts remained and both were nearly out.  Like less than 2 turns w/ fingers and they came out.  Luckily, because I'm that guy, I was able to source 2 bolts w/ the right thread pitch from my stash and got it put back on.  I was just going to take it off and go back to the shop and have them make it right but I didn't want to risk what not having it there might lead to.  Looks like they set it in place and just turned the bolts in a couple turns to hold it in place and never got back to tightening it.  Thinking back, I did hear what I thought was a rock being thrown up into the undercarriage of the car which isn't atypical around here at all.  Almost certainly one of the bolts. 

So all is well and it's nice and quiet again but now I'm wondering what else under there didn't get tightened back up all the way.  Grrrr.  You got one job.  Granted it's a complicated one but just have someone double check your work.  This wasn't a favor.  I paid over 1700 dollars for this service.  Am I out of line expecting all the stuff to be tightened back up at the end and not falling off my car?

Battery light coming on during moderate acceleration but not during normal driving. Was poking around under hood while metering battery output and found the main ground wasn't even hooked up. Whiskey Tango over.  Found where it was.  Of course it was a six inch bolt with three inches of threads put on with Thor's hammer that resided on the back of the block with three inches of room to move a ratchet. Good times. Didn't fix the issue. Battery light coming on still. Wonder if damage to alternator was exacerbated by ground being disconnected. Grrrr. Guess it's time to once over everything I can see and start sourcing an alternator. At least that I shouldn't have to pay someone to do. 🙄

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4885 on: January 20, 2021, 04:27:08 PM »
IF you have a decent shop nearby they can typically rebuild the alternator for a fraction of a new (or "rebuilt) one. Last one I had done (daughters Audi) was $72.