Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Rant thread, what pisses you off? (no politics or religion allowed) NSFW  (Read 641850 times)

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
^ Try a scooter! Not one like the fat folks at the local Walmart, I mean like a Honda, Yamaha, Kymco...even a cheap China one. Easy to maneuver, easy to ride, no swinging a leg up and over, and FUN! (and usually relatively cheap)

I was thinking an old Trail 90 or something.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for both ideas.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
Kinda more of a "first world problems" than a proper rant, but ...

We have a full sized fridge and two dorm sized fridges where we stock a variety of adult beverages, pops, and mixers.  Some of the product has been getting old due to Covid and my wife being vulnerable, which prevents us from having folks over.  So, what's the problem?  Some of the stuff aging out is not just stuff that we don't prefer but is ok, instead some is stuff we affirmatively dislike.  Sweet alco-pops, diet beer, and weird fruit concoctions need to be drank or it's alcohol abuse.   :D  At least the mango-beer tasted skunky enough that the one I cracked and it's four remaining friends could go down the drain in good conscience.

We picked these up after seeing what folks drank at their own homes, and we wouldn't want to just gift them because that would imply that we only bought it for them.  We did, but we don't want any guest to feel obligated to have a particular beverage because they believe we bought it just for them.  Good hosts don't want their guests to feel that way.

Oh well, it's getting near the end and will soon we'll be back to drinking what we like.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Citrus, mango, and other flavored beers are not something I've ever liked. A good stout is where it's at.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
Citrus, mango, and other flavored beers are not something I've ever liked. A good stout is where it's at.

My wife and I both like pale ales year around, and stouts or porters in the colder months.  My wife also likes lagers and pilsners (but not diet beers).  I also like IPAs and APAs.  The only flavored beer I like is a traditional summer shandy, but I can take it or leave it.

Just to show my age, I believe that adults drink beer, ride motorcycles or do other things in real life, and get the job done, while "children" drink alcho-pops, play computer games, and whine.  Maybe it's not showing my age because I know a lot of people my age who fit into the latter category (minus the computer games).

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
Re: The Rant thread, what pisses you off?
« Reply #4804 on: July 21, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
Why can't (or won't) app makers write instructions or user guides?!?!?
My GPS (Garmin DriveSmart 55) screen color / brightness got a bit flakey.   A couple times I couldn't adjust the brightness.   A couple times when I did adjust brightness, it only changed on about 3/4 of the screen and changed most of the colors.  So I did a warranty claim (via online chat).  They'll replace it.  But I have to send it back and they have to "process" it before they send a replacement...
So I'm using my old cell phone for navigation.   It doesn't have a sim card, so no data other than WiFi at home. 
There are LOTS of gps / nav apps out there...  but the only way to evaluate them is to install and use a bit.
But even that is excruciating because there are NO instructions or user guides!!!
Kurviger has a LOT of documentation on their website, but...  it says WHAT the app can do but NOT HOW to do any of it!!
Navmii sounds good on the Playstore description, but I can't even figure out how to find gas stations, and there is a fuel icon when I bring up 'search'.  And that's w/ WiFi connected.
CoPilot won't even let me log-in w/ WiFi data.  I created an account on my computer.
For just riding, I like HereWeGo.  It shows my direction., speed and the speed limit (of most roads).   It does find gas / fuel, even w/o data.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:23:22 PM by HipGnosis »
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
I like maps.me.  You have to download region maps ahead of time, but it works off phone GPS and does not require WiFi or data plan.  Although it will link with a data plan to provide more features.  It will calculate a route. It will find listed gas stations, rest stops, restaurants and hotels.  It will also plot walking routes.  Provides spoken directions as well as on screen.  Plus you can download waypoints from a Google Maps. 

I do not like it as much as a full fledged GPS, but it’s good for short trips or in a pinch. 
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
My Android Auto, combined with google maps works fine most of the time. We always keep a paper map along too for back up
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
I've been told Scenic on iPhones is one of the best. Calimoto on android has good reviews.
I've given up on maps.me
I use waze or google maps for local routing. Nothing beats a true motorcycle GPS for long runs except maybe real paper maps.

ps I get your rant about poor instructions.
Ride safe!

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
I'll tell you what pisses me off, that new Tom Hanks movie "Greyhound" is only available on AppleTV.  I really want to watch that as my grandfather was a Merchant Sailor who wound up getting his ship sank and spent time as a "guest" in Germany.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
I'll tell you what pisses me off, that new Tom Hanks movie "Greyhound" is only available on AppleTV.  I really want to watch that as my grandfather was a Merchant Sailor who wound up getting his ship sank and spent time as a "guest" in Germany.
We can buy individual songs now, w/o having to buy albums.  Next, videos w/o buying specific hardware or subscription!!!
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Just tried to read an article on motorcyclist magazines website. Full page video ads. Never again.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Right now, my lab classes this Fall are all scheduled to be "blended," which means on-campus lab and everything else online.  I just received word from my Dean and the new Provost MIGHT convert all of our lab classes to being fully online this Fall.  We decision MIGHT happen next week.  I've worked for two f-ing weeks to get my classes prepped to for a blended model, and now I MIGHT have to start nearly all over again. Class starts on the 24th.  It's a lot of GD work to prep the websites for a fully online class, and this doubles my workload in terms of writing online labs.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
Replace engineer with teacher and politician with administrator. 

A man in a hot air balloon realised he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a woman below.
He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would
meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The woman below replied, "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the
ground. You're between 59 and 60 degrees north latitude and between 107 and 108 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist.

"I am," replied the woman, "How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I've no idea
what to make of your information, and the fact is I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much
help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip."

The woman below responded, "You must be a politician"
"I am," replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the woman, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen
to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise, which you've no idea
how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in
exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh