Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Garmin Maps from eBay?  (Read 408 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
Garmin Maps from eBay?
« on: July 18, 2019, 05:03:31 PM »
My trusty Garmin Nuvi 765T broke.
Well... not so 'trusty'... as this is the 2nd time it broke.  And it is my 2nd 765.  But it has been 9-10 yrs :)
The touch screen (digitizer) stopped working.  This happened before, and I put in a replacement touch screen.
But the bluetooth quit working last year (I rigged a work around with a bluetooth transmitter on the headphone output), and my eyes and hands aren't great any more, so, I shopped for a new GPS.
The Zumo's never were a good value, and lots of people aren't happy with them...
The new Drive Smarts, 55 and 7, have some nice features (accessing more satelites for more accuracy, built-in WiFi for updates and route transfers), but they are almost brand new, so no deals.
I found a lightly used, excellent condition 765T on Ebay for $20 (from a hi rated seller).
But the map is 8 yrs old.
There are new (Feb '19) maps on eBay for $15... The description says it is compatible with 765s.
Has anyone bought, used one of these?
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
Re: Garmin Maps from eBay?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:11:59 AM »
Are you talking of buying maps off eBay?  I think only Garmin sells the maps.  As far as if it will work, see if the GPS takes a memory expansion card.  That old a unit might force you to pick what portion of a map is stored on the unit if there’s insufficient memory.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »
Are you talking of buying maps off eBay?  I think only Garmin sells the maps.  As far as if it will work, see if the GPS takes a memory expansion card.  That old a unit might force you to pick what portion of a map is stored on the unit if there’s insufficient memory.

Garmin maps are available from many sources like Amazon, Bass Pro and others by license.  The eBay map sets he's referring to are pirate versions and unlicensed which may or may not work with Garmin units.  Heck, you can get on TPB and download the exact same versions if you care to try them.  I'd personally buy a new or used unit that has lifetime maps and avoid the hassles of dealing with unlicensed software.  My current unit is a Nuvi 65LM purchased used off eBay for $60 and works great on the bikes or in the van.  Maps update flawlessly via Garmin Express.

Checking Garmin's site, the 765 doesn't come with lifetime maps, so you're relegated to buying the most current set.  Apparently, Garmin has discontinued the LM purchase option too.

This doesn't appear to be a bad price:  https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-DriveSmart-Notifications-TripAdvisor-Refurbished/dp/B078YSR8W1/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2X0D1EDOZI3FR&keywords=garmin+maps+north+america&qid=1563541902&s=gateway&sprefix=Garmin+north+america+maps%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-7

You'd still need a cradle and ball for the bike mount.
--Tom

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 04:19:08 PM »
I've already decided that my next GPS will be the Garmin DriveSmart 55, but I can't find a deal on it yet.
I have the cradle, ball mount and power adapter/connector because this is my 3rd 765.
I like the features of the 765, that's why I keep buying them; custom routes, MP3 player w/ SD card and bluetooth output.

I got the eBay map as a download.  I put it on a SD card and the 765 reads it.  I just had to un-select the old, internal map ('10).   I copied my MP3s to the SD.  The 765 reads them.
I'd rather pay a few bucks and  buy the map from eBay than pay Garmin or screw around and hope a free one was good.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 04:36:35 PM »
https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-nüvi-765-gps-w-bluetooth.1403154/

If you need another 765....  ;)
--Tom