Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: early 80's craftsman power tools  (Read 832 times)

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
early 80's craftsman power tools
« on: July 16, 2019, 08:32:17 PM »
i have a neighbor that is moving out of state this weekend and has a full shop of early 80's power tools. 15-1/2" floor mount drill press. 14" 1-1/2hp band saw. 6-1/8" 1-3/8hp jointer planer among other things. They all look to be in decent shape. I know the earlier craftsman stuff was decent and the new stuff is crap. Anybody have real world expererince with the early 80's stuff? I'm thinking of offering her $100 apiece for them. Does that sound resonable or is the stuff from that time period suck as well.

thanks

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
Re: early 80's craftsman power tools
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:56:01 PM »
My dad has a radial arm saw of that vintage and it's been flawless through decades of heavy usage.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 04:34:45 AM »
Early stuff was good.  I’d look up what new stuff is going for and use that as a guide.  If he has any sense, parting with something of high quality for too much less than new stuff that’s crap isn’t going to fly...and might be offensive.

If there’s rust or other wear, that may let you justify going lower, but if it’s been well kept....

As a side note, I HATE parasites who come by when moving, doing estate sales, etc. and think it’s okay to badly lowball on prices.  Unless it’s an auction for insolvency, try to stay close to fair market value.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 06:43:29 AM »
Yep, what Zero and Miles said.

IMO - Offering $100.00 apiece, if they are in good shape, is more than fair.
Eazy peazy sale for them and their good neighbor gets a good deal.

Win win. :thumbsup:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 12:05:39 PM »
As a side note, I HATE parasites who come by when moving, doing estate sales, etc. and think it’s okay to badly lowball on prices.  Unless it’s an auction for insolvency, try to stay close to fair market value.

Or when you advert something as "pick up only", they ask if you will help them load it when they call you, show up without their own help in spite of telling them on the phone that you will NOT, and then asking yet again to help them load it after all that.

Nope. I was clear. Pay in advance. If you break it, it's all on you.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »
It's not at all offensive if they happen to have no value to the person moving and someone is offering to get them out of your hair.  I sure wish someone had offered me 100 bucks for the ginormous rear projection TV and the treadmill in the basement of my last house.  Luckily, i was able to sell them to the buyer.  :)  Often moving crap is more of a pain than the value the crap has.  Could be the case.  Won't know till you axe HER.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 08:47:06 PM »
This seems to have turned more about the price. I was just asking if this era of tools were still decent. She probably would have sold them to me for $20 if I offered that. They just want them out of the house. Research and a good look over seems that they are pretty decently made. I gave her $200 for the drill press and bandsaw. Both look to be in excellent condition. I wasn't in the market for either but for that price and that they were just a couple houses away, I couldn't pass them up.  :)

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:32:52 PM »
Nice catch.  I'd love a decent bandsaw.  Mine is junk, but gets the simple stuff done.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 10:00:52 PM »
Well done and a fare deal
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 04:14:05 PM »

Or when you advert something as "pick up only", they ask if you will help them load it when they call you, show up without their own help in spite of telling them on the phone that you will NOT, and then asking yet again to help them load it after all that.

Nope. I was clear. Pay in advance. If you break it, it's all on you.

I was moving some stuff along, about two weeks after my shoulder surgery. Very clear in the ad I was physically unable to aid the moving and loading in any way whatsoever. Dude showed up, alone, and asked me to help. The blank stare and the wing in a sling was apparently not a deterrent to his asking.
this signature on hold pending review