Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weed trimmer: gas or lithium?  (Read 591 times)

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
Weed trimmer: gas or lithium?
« on: July 12, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
We have a healthy 1.5 acres of crabgrass and thistles and burdocks. My brain says get a Stihl gas trimmer but the Dewalt XR lithium 29495948820000 or whatever is well regarded. Thoughts? I'm done buying garbage home depo brands.
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
Re: Weed trimmer: gas or lithium?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 06:11:52 PM »
I've been using an echo gas trimmer for 3 seasons for roughly the same amount of land as you between 2 properties and won't go back to battery powered. The pole basically acts like a PTO so you can attach just about anything to it. I use 89 octane ethanol free and have had no issues so far. I'd go for the Stihl.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:13:20 PM »
Also Echo gas.

Run out of gas?
Fill it back up.

Batteries die?
Wait.
i eats paste

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 06:58:00 PM »
I'll 3rd the Echo trimmer. I used homelite for years and thought they were good for the price...not. The echo is 10 times the trimmer. I'm sure the stihl would be even better than that. For an acre an a half of thistle, crabgrass and burdock, this is my go to trimmer.

Online Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 07:07:41 PM »
I'm currently using my first battery-powered trimmer. Once it croaks, I'm going back to gas.

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 07:43:17 PM »
I'd buy battery powered for a townhome but not a single family lot. I have a four stroke but the damn thing runs HOT. So I use the old smoker mostly.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »
My John Deere branded trimmer (not sure who makes it) still running fine after 15+ years. I’ve never seen a battery anything last that long?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online 1KPerDay

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 07:04:10 AM »
My wife is very averse to gasoline fumes. Makes her ill. She wants to be able to use it. So maybe I'll end up with both.

Give me your thoughts on this:
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XRU09PT1-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Batteries/dp/B07NX89FZQ/ref=pd_cp_86_1?pd_rd_w=dJLiN&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=M366M54JZ4WT7MZRHGK0&pd_rd_r=bb50cf50-a5f0-11e9-aab2-c76ca9804906&pd_rd_wg=A8SW0&pd_rd_i=B07NX89FZQ&psc=1&refRID=M366M54JZ4WT7MZRHGK0

I have no opinion on that particular tool but we use makita drills and drivers in the shop and all the guys seem to like them. Get the 5.0 Ah batteries and with that dual charger you  (or your wife) should be able to work non stop. I've replaced a few of the batteries in the last 10 years and I've stopped buying the Chinese knockoffs. The Makita branded ones that are made in Japan last much longer.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 08:40:36 AM »
We have both battery ( wife uses for light trimming around gardens ) ,and gas.The battery is believe it or not a B&D ,and came with 2 batteries,they hold up pretty well in use and we have no complaints. My gas trimmer is an Echo that I use not only for light trimming but to trim the heavy stuff around the property line and by my creek. Echo stuff works and lasts.My chain saws are Echo and they are dead nuts reliable same as the trimmer. My opinion is for light ,not semi brush hogging battery is fine,for heavy go gas.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Baxter

• Newly retired--time to wear out some tires!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette 400, farkled for long distances
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »
I had a Stihl combi-tool.  One of the attachable tools is a plastic bladed trimmer.  It's like a string trimmer but has three plastic blades which are easily replaced when they wear out.   It's good for heavy, thick stalked weeds and seedling trees, but not so good around anything that could be readily gouged like house siding.  It was very reliable.  This bladed tool sounds like what might be best for the situation you described, and you can also get a string trimmer attachment for close to buildings, posts, etc.  I also had the chain saw on a stick attachment and the mini-tiller attachment, and a Stihl chainsaw.  If I hadn't already known that I was getting rid of my yard five years ago, I'd probably have added more attachments to my collection.  All my Stihl stuff was great to use, but a bit pricy. 

I've not used a Makita yard tool, but I made extensive use of their hand tools when helping my bro-in-law finish their basement, and then demo and refinish the basement after a flood.  All of their hand tools were great to work with, well designed, sturdy, and the batteries didn't start flaking out until after years of hard use.  If I didn't already have enough tools, I'd very likely buy Makita. 
I broke the internet!

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 12:49:30 PM »
Gas.

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 03:16:46 PM »
Unless you have a severe adverse reaction to gasoline or have a need for a quiet tool, I would definitely say gas trimmer for an area that big.    I have one of the bigger Stihl trimmers and it has worked for ten years without any problems.   

I also highly recommend spending the little extra to use their MotoMix fuel.   No worries about mixing gas and oil, no ethanol, no need for stabilizers, and everything ALWAYS starts right up and runs perfectly.   I have found it to be almost magical in keeping all the yard tools and chain saws running perfectly.

Online bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • Motorcycles: SV1000s
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 12:57:07 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.

Offline jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 07:26:39 AM »
We bought the the e-go electric mower a couple of years ago. Fourstring was so impressed that he has subsequently purchased their hedge trimmer, leaf blower and trimmer. He can do the whole yard on 2 batteries and it’s so much quieter than the gas.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 08:25:48 AM »
We bought the the e-go electric mower a couple of years ago. Fourstring was so impressed that he has subsequently purchased their hedge trimmer, leaf blower and trimmer. He can do the whole yard on 2 batteries and it’s so much quieter than the gas.
How well does the mower handel higher grass? Sometimes I get the procrastination bug about mowing and its a little high.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 02:12:46 PM »
How well does the mower handel higher grass? Sometimes I get the procrastination bug about mowing and its a little high.

Sometimes a 2nd pass is necessary if he lets it go too long.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 08:47:33 AM »
I'll have the Head Butler ask the gardener what we have..
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 09:17:36 AM »
Well I got the Makita 18vX2 one last night and the batteries charged in about half an hour. My son went through all the string in about 25 minutes but it seemed to be working okay on tall, heavy grass. Lots more to do. Will be better when the speed feed head I ordered arrives. Batteries were still fully charged after running it on high speed that long.

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 10:23:45 PM »
Well I spent an hour with it tonight and the string had just broken when my son was using it, so I still had a bunch. Rethreaded it and did a few hundred square feet of 5-foot grasses and weeds. It ain't going to cut it on the burdock, at least with string. But it runs great and works on most stuff.

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 11:27:38 PM »
Your first post didn't mention that your son would be doing the clearing.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 11:31:32 PM »
LOL been there done that. Diabolical machine.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »
My wife is very averse to gasoline fumes. Makes her ill. She wants to be able to use it. So maybe I'll end up with both.

Give me your thoughts on this:
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XRU09PT1-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Batteries/dp/B07NX89FZQ/ref=pd_cp_86_1?pd_rd_w=dJLiN&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=M366M54JZ4WT7MZRHGK0&pd_rd_r=bb50cf50-a5f0-11e9-aab2-c76ca9804906&pd_rd_wg=A8SW0&pd_rd_i=B07NX89FZQ&psc=1&refRID=M366M54JZ4WT7MZRHGK0
If you're seriously looking at battery trimmers, skip the 18V-20V bullshit. 

Echo makes a 58V line of tools that include a chainsaw, trimmer, blower and brush trimmer.  The chainsaw, blower and trimmer work great.  Especially with the 4 ah battery pack (upgrade over the 2ah).

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-CDST-58V2AH-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless/dp/B07C5XXYK6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T6FRQWSEZ3AK&keywords=echo+cordless+string+trimmer&qid=1563550501&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=echo+cordless%2Clawngarden%2C119&sr=1-3

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »
thanks