Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The camper / camping / glamping thread  (Read 2661 times)

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
Re: The camper / camping / glamping thread
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2019, 01:43:18 PM »
It was that easy.  :wings:  Guy came up, did a full walkaround, looked under it, we went thru how everything was working and SOLD!  Going to the Secretary of State tomorrow to do all the title transfer stuff and hand it off.  Bank account will be much fatter tomorrow.

Sweet.  Well played.

Spent the first couple hours of my morning cruising CL for a reasonably clean Class A with a slide over coffee.  Have cash, can travel for the right deal.  Start close, work my way outward across the region.
--Tom

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2019, 03:56:31 PM »
Tom, does it have to be a class A?

Here is a very low mile class C and it is HUGE with a couple slides.

https://scranton.craigslist.org/rvs/d/hazleton-master-bedroom-ft32-fleetwood/6933460311.html
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2019, 04:37:11 PM »
Very nice, but that space over the cab is totally dead space for me.  No one will ever sleep in it and it kills forward head room above the cab seats to turn and get into the living space.  A good deal on that one for what you're getting. 

Tire age and condition is going to play a major factor in my decision.  At about $1500 a set of four good tires, it's a big bite of the available travel cash.  Most RVs have cheap, ancient tires that are overloaded just sitting at the campsite. 
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2019, 05:10:49 PM »
I would put new tires in the same category as functioning steering wheel if I was looking at a used unit. 

this might be the exception:  Boom!

https://winchester.craigslist.org/rvs/d/winchester-1974-gmc-motorhome/6945635434.html

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2019, 05:22:20 PM »
FWIW, I *hate* trying to live a life in something that's 8 feet wide, even if only for a weekend. Something nice and new and modern is WELL beyond my means, and frankly, too much work for a weekender life. The property I get to enjoy was just de-campered, and I say good riddance. (and to be fair, it's a 20 year old FEMA trailer with a 40 year old layout, which was well past its prime, and really added to the apathy for such things)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

this signature on hold pending review

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
FWIW, I *hate* trying to live a life in something that's 8 feet wide, even if only for a weekend. Something nice and new and modern is WELL beyond my means, and frankly, too much work for a weekender life. The property I get to enjoy was just de-campered, and I say good riddance. (and to be fair, it's a 20 year old FEMA trailer with a 40 year old layout, which was well past its prime, and really added to the apathy for such things)

opposite of everything you just said

some of the best memories i've ever made were in an 8 foot wide box. 

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2019, 07:28:05 PM »

My normal camping arrangement for about 20 years used to be anywhere from a one man to a 7x10 cabin tent with an air mattress and a sleeping bag.  This IS luxury having four walls, good shelter from the weather and all the amenities of home on a smaller scale that moves across the country.   :smiley_thumb:
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2019, 07:34:48 PM »
I would put new tires in the same category as functioning steering wheel if I was looking at a used unit. 

this might be the exception:  Boom!

https://winchester.craigslist.org/rvs/d/winchester-1974-gmc-motorhome/6945635434.html

You notice there's no interior shots?  Yeah, that's cuz it doesn't exist or it's trashed beyond repair. :lol: A fair price for that rolling hunk is about $2000 with another $20k to be thrown at it to make it livable.  I've seen several locally in that same or similar state.  Rolling parts bins.

Looking at used units online, I automatically eliminate the ones with strategically taken shots where you can never see the waterlogged ceiling. 
--Tom

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2019, 08:53:35 PM »
I would put new tires in the same category as functioning steering wheel

This from a guy with bald tires on his dual sports.  :bigsmile:

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2019, 09:02:17 PM »

Agreed but on a smaller scale. I had a 22' cuddy cabin boat for 8 years. Every summer we would take it up to northern MI and use it as our camper. Would pull in to the state parks and camp in it on the trailer. Pulled in to register and ranger asked what we were camping in? I said the boat! She says no really what do you have a tent or something. I'm like, I sleep on it in the water, why not the trailer.  :bigsmile: would I buy an actual camper, probably not. But have had some great times camping.

Offline Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2019, 09:27:45 PM »
What’s the first destination?
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2019, 06:18:53 AM »

Skill building... you'll see.  Ow, my leg.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2019, 06:41:15 AM »

To be clear, I'm not trying to take anything away, and I'll stay a night in my brother's taj mahal of Toy Haulers now and then, but largely, give me a cabin/motel room, maybe a fire pit, and proper sized shower, and I'm much happier.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »

Skill building... you'll see.  Ow, my leg.

Knobs are not overrated.  DAMHIK either.
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2019, 07:49:09 AM »

To be clear, I'm not trying to take anything away, and I'll stay a night in my brother's taj mahal of Toy Haulers now and then, but largely, give me a cabin/motel room, maybe a fire pit, and proper sized shower, and I'm much happier.

First world spoiled.

I'm so grossed out by other people's filth that I have seen in some of those places that my camper seems downright sterile by comparison. Even big money joints sometimes.  I'd much rather have my small clean shower and bed free of bugs than to wonder if the cleaning crew *really* did all they were supposed to do.  Puke.   Different strokes and all.

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2019, 09:22:04 AM »

First world spoiled.

I'm so grossed out by other people's filth that I have seen in some of those places that my camper seems downright sterile by comparison. Even big money joints sometimes.  I'd much rather have my small clean shower and bed free of bugs than to wonder if the cleaning crew *really* did all they were supposed to do.  Puke.   Different strokes and all.

Yeah kind of a coin toss there, We're more 5 star hotel travelers too but you do wonder if the room is as clean as it seems sometimes. I have to say that we've very rarely been disappointed so far, though a place we stayed in last winter was a cross between the place in The Shining and the Bates Motel. The only advantage was it was so cold in the room that no self respecting lunatic or ghost would have anything to do with it. It was clean though, kind of. We always talk about getting a motorhome but that's as far as it's gone so far. We both camped and trailered over the years so it is a lot of fun but the money buys a lot of really nice hotels so it's a dead end discussion at this point. 
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2019, 07:15:17 PM »
You guys are fragile.    :bigsmile:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2019, 03:42:28 PM »

Sounds like they don't know how to dig a hole to poo in... 

LT  (LooTree)

Great googly-moogly!

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2019, 08:26:34 PM »
 :lol:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2019, 06:30:44 AM »

Sounds like they don't know how to dig a hole to poo in... 

LT  (LooTree)

Quite the opposite for me. Having pooped in many a hole in several different countries courtesy of Uncle Sam, this is my way of not having to do that anymore.   ;)

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2019, 06:48:25 AM »
What’s the first destination?

Hmph, missed that the first time around.

I really don't know yet, but it won't be too far from home.  A short shakedown campout within 200 miles as a test and tune.  You always forget something fitting these out and I hate buying stuff I already own at home.  Wright Patterson AFB military campground is really nice, lots to see in the area and cheap with full utilities.  I have a few places I like in Michigan too.

With the purchase of the solar power suitcase, I can now check the Class As with no generator as an option.
--Tom

Online rfulcher

• Motorcycles: 2013 Super Tenere, 2006 SV650, SWMBO R1100RS
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2020, 11:10:30 PM »
I have a 2016 4x4 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 engine and tow package. It is rated for over 10,000 lbs towing. It is rated for 980 lbs tongue weight and payload is approx 2000 lbs. I recently purchased a 17 ft. Casita travel trailer rated at max of 3500 lbs with a 400 lb tongue weight. The Super Tenere weight around 600 lbs and will fit in the 6.5 ft. bed at an angle.

I want to travel with cross country with my wife and dog. We will tow the Casita and with my Super Tenere in the back of the truck. Is this reasonable? I want to see new places, drag my little house with me, and ride the Tenere when I get to the good stuff.

Would I need to do any mods to the truck?

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2020, 11:53:18 PM »
Payload is vertical weight in the bed.
Tongue weight is, of course, vertical weight on the tongue.
Towing capacity is horizontal pull/drag while moving forward.

Combined weights, all told, should not exceed gross vehicle weight; tongue weight, payload, vehicle curb weight, people. Tongue weight does impact payload. Payload does not impact tongue weight.

Everything above is all a matter of degrees.

For easy numbers - Let's say you have a 2000lb total payload limit, currently have 1500 lbs in your bed and you add 500 lbs tongue weight on your hitch, you're now at max payload of 2000 (or thereabouts, given weight over axle, weight behind axle, levering, etc. )

Now let's say you have 2000 lb total payload limit, currently have 500 lbs on your hitch tongue, and you load your bike in the back of the truck (~600 lbs). You have NOT added to your tongue weight, so you're still good on the trailer, but you've taken 600 lbs away from your provisional cargo, and currently sit at ~1100lbs in payload.

With a 10k towing weight, putting your bike in the trailer over the axle *could* conceivably not increase your tongue weight much at all, thus not impacting your payload weight, and would only impact your towing capacity; assuming your trailer is also set up to haul bikes.

All of this is estimated, of course, and you should always strive to remain at least 30% under your limits for reserve.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2020, 07:51:09 AM »
I have a 2016 4x4 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 engine and tow package. It is rated for over 10,000 lbs towing. It is rated for 980 lbs tongue weight and payload is approx 2000 lbs. I recently purchased a 17 ft. Casita travel trailer rated at max of 3500 lbs with a 400 lb tongue weight. The Super Tenere weight around 600 lbs and will fit in the 6.5 ft. bed at an angle.

I want to travel with cross country with my wife and dog. We will tow the Casita and with my Super Tenere in the back of the truck. Is this reasonable? I want to see new places, drag my little house with me, and ride the Tenere when I get to the good stuff.

Would I need to do any mods to the truck?

First of all, AWESOME!!!  Go and do and see.

Are you quoting numbers for your exact truck or are you quoting what Toyota says about "the Tundra"?  This is big.  Ford is famous for this.  They'll tell you the F-150 can tow 12.5K.  While they're telling you that, they'll show a picture of a Limited 4x4 Crew w/ 20" chrome wheels.  There will be a tiny * that nobody ever reads or even if they do, they ignore or misinterpret the "properly equipped" part assuming their truck with all the bells and whistles is certainly properly equipped.  If you do the research, there is A F-150 that will pull that weight but it's a regular cab, 2WD work truck w/ 17" steel wheels.  From that base truck, everything you add including the back seat, spiffy electronics, 4WD components and big ole heavy wheels takes away from your tow capacity and some of your payload.  My buddy did this with his F150 and a guy at work just did this with his big ole DODGE dually one ton.  Commercial said 7000+ lbs payload so he was getting ready to buy a truck camper with three slides based on that number.  Turns out, just like the example above, his payload was 5300 and would not have come close to supporting that camper.

Find the numbers for your exact truck then do the math.  Sounds like you'll be perfectly fine.  Mods that you NEED to do?  Probably not.  But be prepared, depending on the pkg on your truck, for your rear suspension to sag enough to be annoying.  If you have the TRD or any kind of upgraded suspension, you might be OK.  If not, you might consider some airbags for the back of your truck.  That way you get added stability and you don't have to worry about adjusting the headlights or blinding people or having your truck's ride compromised by unweighting the front end.  Also, even with a camper that light, you should still get a nice weight distribution / anti-sway hitch system.  Potential literal life saver. 

If you're going to travel the country, that means mountains.  Having BTDT, I would agree with Chris that you need to keep a good reserve.  You don't want to try to pull 10K lbs through the Rockies or Sierra Nevadas with a half ton truck.  You'll be that guy.  Either the one going 32mph going up the hill or the one on the side of the road with the hood up.  Both suck.

Also, you have a 3000lb trailer NOW.  But learn the above for your next camper so you don't fall victim to the sales pitch on the next one.  Ax me how I know...

For the record, I have about 50K+ miles pulling campers with a half ton Ram.  Many of those miles with 600+ lbs of bike(s) in the bed of the truck.  I've been where you are.  Happy to talk more if needed.  I also have documented some of those travels in a blog where we did the same thing for a few months back in the day if you're interested. 

Offline greench440

• Motorcycles: 2005 FJR
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2020, 03:55:07 PM »
Bought this last spring, no more tents for us. 

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2020, 04:00:06 PM »
I have no idea what the ratings are but my Ram 1500 pulls way better than my Tundra.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2020, 08:11:53 PM »
 GVWR for my '05 F-350 SRW is 11,500. Our 31' dual axle toy hauler is 8K unladen. Add 100G of water, a couple bikes, beer, food etc. I would guess it's around 11K. It was kinda squirelly with just the weight distributing hitch. Much better with the sway + weight hitch setup. Not as stable as a dually, but good enough.

I would not want to tow a 10K trailer with a 1/2 ton truck no matter how much power it has. It's a brake/stability issue.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2020, 06:16:17 AM »
At least Ford is putting the * where it makes more sense now instead of making you scroll to the bottom of some massively long page to find the tiny print. 

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/features/capability/

But I totally concur.  With airbags, upgraded brakes, and LT tires, my half ton is still a handful at about 60% of what they say it's capable of.  Imagine some dude buying an F150 and towing the max w/ the crap P tires and stock suspension and brakes.  oy

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2020, 08:47:56 PM »
At least Ford is putting the * where it makes more sense now instead of making you scroll to the bottom of some massively long page to find the tiny print. 

But I totally concur.  With airbags, upgraded brakes, and LT tires, my half ton is still a handful at about 60% of what they say it's capable of.  Imagine some dude buying an F150 and towing the max w/ the crap P tires and stock suspension and brakes.  oy

Yeah I hauled the trailer to Utah with no bikes, but full water & just the weight dist. hitch. It was OK up to about 60 or so, but the semis passing at 80+ first try to suck you in then blow you onto the shoulder. Good times.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2020, 12:11:26 PM »

Yeah I hauled the trailer to Utah with no bikes, but full water & just the weight dist. hitch. It was OK up to about 60 or so, but the semis passing at 80+ first try to suck you in then blow you onto the shoulder. Good times.

Wait till some nimrod pulls out in front of you in a dumptruck on a downhill 2 lane.  That will alter you in several ways.  Possibly your pants as well.  We almost made crunching sounds.  That's when you take your relationship with your tires to the next level.   :deadhorse: