Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The camper / camping / glamping thread  (Read 4006 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
The camper / camping / glamping thread
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:44:08 AM »
Several people have acquired new or new to them camping toys recently.  Show us how you do it so that others may use this thread as motivation and/or information for their research. 

My rig is a 25 foot Flagstaff Mini Lite 25BHS.  It weighs 5200 lbs dry and I pull it with a half ton hemi ram with ease.  This is a new 2019 model we bought last year in Michigan.  Kim calculated yesterday that it's been used 34 nights so far.  Our previous rig was a 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-lite 8310.  31 foot long bunkhouse that weighed 4700 lbs dry.  We pulled that thing ~45K miles around the country and killed it good being the newbs that we were.  Hopefully the new one will fare better since we have an idea of what we're doing now. 

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
Re: The camper / camping / glamping thread
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:44:58 AM »
I'll start  (since I think I may have helped spawn this...).

1st camper of any type. I vaguely remember getting lucky in a camper when I was like 22... but that memory is pretty hazy. Beyond that, the Mrs. and I have been staunch tent campers for... well, EVER. Load up the truck, play tetris to get everything to fit, and head into the back country. Preference was always for undeveloped disbursed camp sites, second to developed disbursed. Over the years, our tent grew to a 10x12 monstrosity with a double thick queen air mattress, rug, chair and table. At a weight and space penalty.

This year, the Mrs. conceived a need for the next step. Enter our newest acquisition of a 2016 Forest River Rockwood hardside popup, model A122SXR. Perfect for just the wife and I, and readily pulled by my 20yr old F150. We chose to err on the side of caution for towing weight due to the age of my truck, but it seems fairly appropriate. Dry weight 2200, GVWR at 3700.

As purchased, I think the dealer didn't read the data plate too well since they didn't differentiate it as the SRX model. Only differences were a built in 3 in. lift, 15in tires (up from 13), and a double step instead of a single. But the lift and tires were paramount for us, giving us at least the illusion of access to the disbursed camping we prefer.

Replaced the crap camper mattress with a memory foam/gel unit, sourced a half umbrella and loaded it with most of our old gear. Seemed to do fairly well this weekend with 4in of snow on the second day of summer...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Leanintree

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:49:58 PM by Leanintree »
Great googly-moogly!

Online BuckeyeRider

• Not all who wander are lost.
  • Motorcycles: A Little 'Un
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
I've been living full-time in a 24" Coachmen Class C RV for three years now. I mostly slow-travel - stay a month at a time in established RV parks, as you can get a much cheaper rate by the month. I still work, so a month gives me three weekends to explore the area before I have to take off again.

In between locations, I try to stay a week or two in state parks, national forest, national recreation areas, army corp conservation camps and the occasional BLM land. I've found a few parks maintained by cities and counties as well, and some of those are really nice (and cheap).

Winters in S Texas, spring in Alabama/Georgia/NC/VA/KY/TN, summer in Ohio, end of summer start heading south again. This year, I'm leaving Ohio early (visiting with kids and family) and I think I'm going to head to the mountains in New Mexico again. High enough elevation that it doesn't get too hot and much less humid than the midwest.

I'm toying with spending the next winter in Baja, but I need to sort out my solar and figure out how I'd get enough data to keep working.

Online Dketchum

• Motorcycles: 2016 Versys 1000
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 04:06:39 PM »
Been camping for over 50 years...as a kid with parents in holiday rambler pull behind. Have Motocamped since I was 17.  Had a Coleman pop up when the kids were younger..did lots of trips pulling it with an underpowered Dodge caravan 😒 then got a gmc jimmy and was much better off.
Spent many years pulling a small pop up behind my Goldwing..now if I motocamp, it’s a tent with my Versys 1000. 

Have a 2016 19 foot Jayco that we pull behind my Nissan Frontier with 4.0 V6..pulls it great..we mostly go to my sons farm in east texas, set up next to one of the ponds, fish and hang with the grandkids and the ducks...

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »
I'm currently using my 1991 visa slate 3-3/8" for camping. I hand it to the hotel clerk and they promptly set me up with a well appointed room. It usually has breakfast included as well. Trying to find a parking space for it or navigating through city traffic is effortless no matter what vehicle I use to tow it.  :blbl:

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 11:57:39 AM »
That doesn't work some of the places we go...  ;D ;)
Great googly-moogly!

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 11:48:40 AM »
Just beginning the back up before heading 0ut next week.
  The family likes having a pop-up. We tried tent camping, the tent did not suit the wife, something about sleeping on the ground Bla Bla Bla..  The pop-up is a 2010 Coleman by fleetwood Carmel. I am currently towing with my dodge ram 2500 diesel w/6 speed. Truck does not even notice the trailer.
  Heading out for a week and a half, up the CA coast camping on the beach with the destination of Diamond lake Or. We do this trip once a year. Bike riding, fishing, swimming and campfires in the evening basically lots of time with the kids. Kids are stoked on the upcoming trip
 The family did the camping thing when I was a kid, up till I was 12 then the folks gave up on taking time off with my sister and I. Me I enjoy the time away from home with the family, and we get to travel on the cheap. Been camping to all the western states as far east as Wy and CO.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 01:22:36 PM »
Comfort Inn typically works good for me. Depending who I'm with I spend a few nights of a trip in a tent, but usually get a room every other night or so, a comfy bed, hot shower, and nice meal are all things I enjoy. As far as staying in one place and taking day rides I still prefer getting a room. Mostly because I don't do it often enough to justify a camper. Perhaps when I retire things will change?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:55:48 PM »
We bought a new 2006 Fleetwood Nitrous 26' toy hauler. Since then we've taken it to Florida 7 times, Quebec twice, Nova Scotia twice and Montana via Wisconsin. We're going back to Nova Scotia next week. It's a terrific unit. I just ride the bike in and strap it down and off we go.
Our favourite destination is the area around the south end of the Blue Ridge parkway. Maggie Valley is a fabulous place to use as a departure point. We've crossed the mountains, up to Clingmans dome, down to Townsend TN and done the Parkway over to 129 and back to Maggie Valley.
We've met some terrific friends so for us the RV is as much fun as the bike.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »
We've been looking at toy haulers the last couple of years but haven't yet taken the plunge. I would like to take three bikes (two dual-sport, one street) but between that and all the comforts that she wants, we get into the ones that are too large for our truck to pull. I've considered just a travel trailer but I'm not a fan of the bikes being outside all the time. I could buy a better truck but then I wouldn't be able to afford a camper. This will be a one-time thing so I want to get it right.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 02:36:44 PM »
We've been looking at toy haulers the last couple of years but haven't yet taken the plunge. I would like to take three bikes (two dual-sport, one street) but between that and all the comforts that she wants, we get into the ones that are too large for our truck to pull. I've considered just a travel trailer but I'm not a fan of the bikes being outside all the time. I could buy a better truck but then I wouldn't be able to afford a camper. This will be a one-time thing so I want to get it right.

BTDT, had the conversations, weighed the advantages, considered all options and we ended up with a standard truck/trailer combo.  Small enough bikes that 2 fit in the back and boosted the truck w/ some airbags and all is well.  Sounds like you want a unicorn.  You need to decide on which little white horse you can really live with.  Three bikes?  That's just greedy.  :) 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
I would like to take three bikes (two dual-sport, one street)

Get some SM wheels for one of the dual sports. Conversion only takes about a half hour once you've done it a time or two. That would let you get by with a smaller rig. Just a thought.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
Still haven't used the pop up, but the camper van is together enough for an overnight stay headed to Vermont next week.  Tested out the fold up memory foam mattress one night while the wife was gone and it's more than comfy.  Installed the van table this morning!  I've got a reserved site north of Binghamton, NY at Chenango Valley State Park with electricity to entertain myself with a mini-tv and portable digital antenna.  Mutts got to try out their sleeping accommodations on the way to the groomer this morning and they approve. 
--Tom

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 02:03:27 PM »
Got out of the heat last weekend. 90+ at home, low 50s an hour away. Good choice of site meant no OHV shenanigans. Rain on Saturday afternoon, but it was ok, felt good. Checked out the fire spotter tower for giggles. I won the 'built when' contest with 1960s.

Good way out of town for a couple nights.

LT

Great googly-moogly!

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
you are all totally off your tiny minds
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 06:30:47 PM »
you are all totally off your tiny minds

In training to be Travellers...

Great googly-moogly!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 05:29:31 PM »
Yeah, that night of van camping?  It’s pouring rain.  Took the alternative with dogs - Motel 6.   :bluduh:
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 07:55:08 AM »
Adversity recounted at leisure...

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
Adversity recounted at leisure...

It started raining, nay, deluging when I hit the western PA border and was semi-regular after that till I stopped in Binghamton.  Thunder and lightning while I checked in. 
--Tom

Offline Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 04:34:23 PM »
So after a day of riding it's so nice to come back to the trailer and this view.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: R1200RS
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 08:44:55 AM »
Mrs. Smoker and I recently bought our second trailer, a 2012 First River mini lite 21'. We had a Jayco 18' trailer a few years ago and sold it to purchase a house, but we have wanted another since. I contacted VulcanBill because I knew he has quite a bit of experience with this and he was very helpful in helping us pick the right trailer with the right layout. We took it to the beach this past weekend and it worked perfectly.

My F150 tows it with no issue.

Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 07:04:32 AM »
I'm off to Yosemite in Sept followed by Maggie Valley NC on the return trip. I'm trailering the bike on this trip (wah wah... I've paid my dues) and was intending on purchasing a truck cap for my Tacoma and sleep in the back.

Didn't happen. Truck caps new are $4000+, used ones $1000+, crap ones $500+

So my Tacoma is up for sale and I've bought a Rav4. My wife has one and we've slept in the back together a few times. It's cozy. With just me in the back should be no problem.  Theirs other benefits to the vehicle swap and it should be wash financially.

I looked and test drove Promaster City's and Transit Connects.  The City, other than made by a company I haven't trusted in decades was a strong contender.  The money almost went down on the Connect until I found out about the driveline recall (return vehicle every 38Km for replacement transaxle parts instead of a new part fixing it once and for all) - no thanks.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »
Finally gonna pop the cherry on the pop-up!  Got a week at NAS Pensacola, FL booked for mid-September followed by a week in Savannah, GA with it.  Stay tuned, there might be more directly after that.   ;D   It's good to be fully retired at this point.  Work suxors schweddy donkey gonads.
--Tom

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 04:07:01 PM »
I'm currently using my 1991 visa slate 3-3/8" for camping. I hand it to the hotel clerk and they promptly set me up with a well appointed room. It usually has breakfast included as well. Trying to find a parking space for it or navigating through city traffic is effortless no matter what vehicle I use to tow it.  :blbl:
i lol'ed
My hovercraft is full of eels

Offline Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »
This is how we roll

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 10:04:15 AM »
Finally gonna pop the cherry on the pop-up!  Got a week at NAS Pensacola, FL booked for mid-September followed by a week in Savannah, GA with it.  Stay tuned, there might be more directly after that.   ;D   It's good to be fully retired at this point.  Work suxors schweddy donkey gonads.

I love hurricanes.  I especially love them when they go in other directions.  :angry: Cancelled the southern reservations and am headed north into Michigan instead.  Tomorrow!  Busy getting all the goodies to eat together and throwing clothes in a bin.  Waterfront site in Sebewaing, Michigan at Sebewaing County Park.  Action shots to follow.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:32:34 AM by sleazy rider »
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
2003 Coleman Carmel in use.  Me n da mutts are on the Lake Huron shoreline just kickin’ it till Friday morning.  Already scoped out town. Great pizza joint, TWO!! ice cream shops and a good groceries store. 

Once they finish the grass cutting, we’re going walking to check this place out too.
--Tom

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 03:38:46 PM »
Looks awesome! Enjoy.
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: R1200RS
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2019, 05:36:55 PM »
Had a great time exploring the Finger lakes this weekend.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2019, 06:16:13 PM »
Looks amazing Smoker! Super glad to see you enjoying the camper.

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2019, 07:20:10 AM »
Heading out to Yosemite then onto Maggie Valley on Saturday. Trip should be close to 10KM, about 6000 miles.  The original plan was to buy a truck cap for Tacoma and sleep in the back while I trailer my bike.  Turns out, truck caps are close to $5000 new. Used ones were going for $1200.  Still way out of my price range.  With less than a month to go with no solution in place, I decided I'd flip the truck for something I could camp in. Which was a longer term plan anyway.

I went and looked at Transit Connects and Promaster Cities.  After looking at the reliability and recalls of both, despite how they drove (I tested several) I decided they wouldn't be wallet friendly over the next few years (the transits have a recurring recall!).  My wife has had a RAV4 since 2014 and it's been a tank, we've even slept in the back of it a couple of times. 2 ppl, you'd better be REALLY good friends!

Theirs no shortage of RAV4 around here and I found a low mileage unit (52KM/30,000 miles) for a good price.  I pulled the trigger on it and sold the Tacoma privately for 5K less than I paid for it, 5 years ago.  The purchase of the RAV and installing a trailer hitch on it turned out to be a total wash as fare as money goes. Can't beat that! Ongoing, I no longer have loan payments of the Tacoma. Even better deal!

It's gonna be a long week as I'm excited to get on the road.  Line, my wife, is flying down to Charlotte and I'm supposed to drive across the country from Cali to be there in time to pick her up.  I've made some alternate plans to have her picked up at the airport should anything delay me.  Anyway, 10 days sleeping in the back of the RAV... this outta be interesting.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 09:08:27 AM »
Looks amazing Smoker! Super glad to see you enjoying the camper.

Eric

x10  Love it!!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
Had a great time exploring the Finger lakes this weekend.

Very nice and a fun area to visit.
--Tom

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 11:48:07 PM »
Hokay. About time I posted in this thread. I don't have a full picture of our rig; I'll rectify that in the next couple of weeks (more on that later).

Back in May, we trekked down to Borrego Springs (Anza Borrego State Park) and stayed at the Palm Canyon Hotel and RV Resort. It was the week before Memorial Day weekend and in general, it's supposed to be kinda of hot in the desert. In fact the 'season' is October to April. The resort's restaurant was already closed. However, we had a cool spring in SoCal. In fact it was quite windy and cool. Three and half thousand feet above the desert is Ranchita - fecking 40 degrees and raining. It's snowing on Mount Palomar. WTF?

Guess who didn't bring their rain gear OR their Gerbings? Not like we don't have the room.... Gaah. We are sooooooo lame.

So here's a picture of the weather from our spot in the desert. This is looking west up Montezuma grade (a very fun piece of asphalt - County road S22)

And here we are all cozy and shit with the bikes, waiting to see if the weather improves.

We did manage to get out and go to Palm Desert for lunch (https://www.grill-a-burger.com/) and then up the Granny Knot (CA HWY 74), south on 371 through Anza to CA 79 through Warner Springs to S2 and S22. And yes, freezing my a$$ through Ranchita, CA. Also known for a Yeti statue outside the general store.

Looking back from whence we came....

Oh... and on the way back home this happened:

Only. One. More. Chinese. Tire. To. Kill. Off. Replacing with Goodyear Endurances.

Hopefully in a couple weeks, I'll get a full picture of the rig. M.Brane is a member of the Caltrans climbing team... What?! Caltrans has a climbing team?! Why yes. All volunteer but get paid extra. If you follow Mike Rowe's 'Someone's Gotta Do It', he did a segment on what these guys do. In any case, all team members need to take a refresher course up at the CalTrans yard in Kingvale, CA. This yard is along I-80 and is hopping in the winter - 24/7 with snow plows, etc. Gotta keep that interstate commerce going. But in the summer, it is used as a training center.

We'll be staying in Truckee and then after M.Brane's course, we'll pull up stakes and head up to Redding for about 8 days. M.Brane's offspring is playing football for Shasta College so we'll be visiting with him and exploring the beautiful roads of NorCal with Mountain Gate RV Park as our base camp.

Stay tuned.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '20 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, 1996 HD Road King '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 03:56:35 AM »
Y'all are making me think that I'm missing out.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 07:58:55 AM »
*sigh*

It's been a rather dreary trip so far.  Rain, high winds and gloomy.  Been watching too much tv to kill time between dog walks.  lol 

Since this is just as a shakedown to test the stuff in the camper, I may go home this afternoon instead of waiting till Friday.  Maybe the county park will give me a credit for the two nights left for next spring.  Get home, set up this camper and re-clean it thoroughly.  When I opened the outside awnings for the first time, they were rather, umm, filthy.  I'll set up the screen room and look it over good too. Everything works as it should, so that's the good news.  My little electric space heater warms up the entire camper from 50* nicely and quick.  Mattresses are comfy for me.

I think I'm gonna sell this camper, chalk it up to a great memory of times past with the kids growing up and go find a nice motor home instead.  More space, amenities and storage capacity are the draw.  Negative will be the gas mileage. 
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 09:07:05 AM »

Don't make me post another link to my 10 year old blog. 

You are missing out.  We've done the math and it's the cheapest way to travel.  With your schedule, you are a prime candidate for this lifestyle. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »

go find a nice motor home instead.  More space, amenities and storage capacity are the draw.  Negative will be the gas mileage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtCHWvYl94

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2019, 09:59:17 AM »

go find a nice motor home instead.  More space, amenities and storage capacity are the draw.  Negative will be the gas mileage.

My wifes aunt an uncle have a unity with a murphy bed (last years model).  Its a raging pile of shit.  Its spent far more time in the shop than on the road.  They ended up canceling, I believe, 3 trips, and have no faith at all that it'll be trustworthy any time in the future.  It'll be for sale in the spring once its out of the shop AGAIN.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2019, 10:36:20 AM »

:lol:

Yeah, there's nothing like getting a flat on a Los Angeles freeway, carefully pulling off, and then trying to find a place to change it. We ended up in a cul-de-sac backed up to the freeway and M.Brane had to turn around by backing the trailer down an alley. It was somewhat shaded but not enough. I bought a golf umbrella afterwards to carry in the trailer. Fortunately, there was cold water in the fridge. Yes. I will be M.Brane's brolly girl.

Also, there is nothing like changing a trailer tire in Baker, CA during the summer or fixing a trailer suspension in a gas station in Jean, NV at 2:30am. It's only 90 degrees then. You don't even have to turn on the hot water heater for a shower....

The more work you can do yourself, the better.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2019, 11:28:59 AM »

You had me sold till i saw how slow the recliners opened.  ;D

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2019, 12:15:33 PM »

Yeah, no.  Way out of this old retiree’s price range.  I’ll be doing used, but not used up.  30-35 footer hopefully with a super slide and minimally a queen bed.  Probably tomorrow, I’ll hit up the local RV lot and do some non-serious browsing of units.
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »

:lol:

Yeah, there's nothing like getting a flat on a Los Angeles freeway, carefully pulling off, and then trying to find a place to change it. We ended up in a cul-de-sac backed up to the freeway and M.Brane had to turn around by backing the trailer down an alley. It was somewhat shaded but not enough. I bought a golf umbrella afterwards to carry in the trailer. Fortunately, there was cold water in the fridge. Yes. I will be M.Brane's brolly girl.

Also, there is nothing like changing a trailer tire in Baker, CA during the summer or fixing a trailer suspension in a gas station in Jean, NV at 2:30am. It's only 90 degrees then. You don't even have to turn on the hot water heater for a shower....

The more work you can do yourself, the better.

It's called ADVENTURE!!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
And it's time to go in a different direction.  Once it sells, I'm going used Class A hunting.  Hope it moves quick, cuz I would love to spend some of the winter in the south at a military campground.  Much more space than this popup is needed for me and da mutts for regular, long term use.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/rvs/d/white-lake-2003-coleman-carmel-pop-up/6973369094.html
--Tom

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2019, 07:00:15 AM »
  Once it sells, I'm going used Class A hunting.

https://scranton.craigslist.org/rvs/d/kunkletown-1989-winnebego-chieftain-33/6954780715.html

I'm watching a couple several years newer, about the same miles and with super slides locally for about that price.  As soon as this one goes away, I'll get serious on the hunt.  I should be able to put half down on the price range I'm setting - about $11k all in.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/rvs/d/motorhome-1996-winnebago-adventurer/6954259993.html

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/rvs/d/clinton-ft-condor-super-slide-class/6972179163.html

Obviously, I'd need to dig into these before plunking down cash.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:11:41 AM by sleazy rider »
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2019, 11:32:21 AM »
Well, hopefully it's that easy.  Got an email late last night, responded this morning and the couple are coming to look at it with cash this afternoon.  It's all shined up, awnings are bright white with green stripes again and the inside smells like new.  /fingers crossed

Hell, if the come up with the cash, they can have all the camping supplies I've accumulated.  Dishes/pots/pans/coffee pot/microwave and new bedding.  Damn near everything to just hook up and go.
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2019, 07:14:55 PM »
It was that easy.  :wings:  Guy came up, did a full walkaround, looked under it, we went thru how everything was working and SOLD!  Going to the Secretary of State tomorrow to do all the title transfer stuff and hand it off.  Bank account will be much fatter tomorrow.
--Tom

Offline Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »
Nice.👍

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
It was that easy.  :wings:  Guy came up, did a full walkaround, looked under it, we went thru how everything was working and SOLD!  Going to the Secretary of State tomorrow to do all the title transfer stuff and hand it off.  Bank account will be much fatter tomorrow.

Sweet.  Well played.