Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I scouted for a Scout, an' got one!  (Read 706 times)

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
I scouted for a Scout, an' got one!
« on: June 05, 2019, 06:50:25 PM »
I've posted on here about how the Indian Scout (ABS) appeals to me.  I've had a VStar (Yamaha) 950T for almost 6 yrs.  I'm 90% happy with it, but as my first cruiser, I didn't have much expectations.
I went thru 3 windshields (including the stock barn door) and wasn't happy with the buffeting at highway speeds.
It also needs a 6th gear - it simply runs out of RPM at urgent passing speeds.
And I want ABS.

I went to the nearest Indian dealer last month and test rode a Scout.  The engine is just better than the 950's, more than the added 150cc's account for.  It has more power everywhere, and is eager to let it out. It's clearly a newer, better design.

They had an '18 at a decent discout, but man, the accessories really add up fast.  Passenger seat and pegs are NOT standard.   

So I scouted...
I found a low mile '16 with ABS at the place I bought the 950 from;  The countries biggest used bike dealer; Road Track and Trail.  I dealt with the same salesman that sold me the 950.
Very clean with only 1500 miles and passenger seat and pegs.  RT&T does not negotiate on prices - this is well known.  They don't do test rides w/o a deposit. 
I actually raised the price...  They had a non-abs with a Corbin Dual Tour saddle.  I'm not fond of the small Scout passenger seats.  So I asked about buying the Corbin.  After the salesman talked to a manager, I got it for half the price of a new one, and got free installation.   I think it's got ostrich leather, but I'm not sure.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Yes, I traded in the VStar 950.

I rode it all (last) evening. 
The engine sounds like it's surging a bit - I think it's because the dual exhaust pipes aren't the same length.  It runs smoother than the 950, and I think the 950 is pretty smooth (for a 950 twin).
I passed a truck and went from 55ish to 90 w/o trying!

I spent a few hours today adjusting; clutch freeplay (can NOT be done when bike is warm because it's under the exhaust), shift linkage (to bring the shifter closer to me), set the clock, attached my GDO'r & RAM mount.
Then I took it out for a Dairy Queen berry sundae.

I'm finding aftermarket mfgs for most every accessory I want. 
I'm going to put a single exhaust on it so I can put on larger saddlebags.

The only thing I can't find is the foot control reduce reach adapter/kit - so I'm thinking of making my own. There's not that much to them!!  (Indians price is $175!!)   I just need to source some stock.

Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
Re: I scouted for a Scout, an' got one!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 07:04:03 PM »
Oh, the Scout is smaller than the VStar 950, in every way except the engine - Scout is 1130 cc's.

The dash (single, multi function guage) has a gear indicator and can show engine temp.  It also has a low voltage idiot light (nice touch).

Oddly, the gear indicator does NOT show what gear it's in when the bike is stopped - but it does have a neutral light.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Cookie

• Contributor
  • You do not want me as moderator.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »
Excellent! I REALLY wanted one but no matter how much I loved it, the ergos don't work for my back and knees.
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 11:52:42 PM »
Great looking bike. I like the red with tan seat.
Make sure to let us know how your accessory plan works out.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck with her.  :thumbsup:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »
Congrats.  How did it like it's berry sundae?  Careful.  Too many of those will mess with the power/weight ratio.   :redface:
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 09:21:04 AM »
Very nice. I like the red and tan as well. Very sharp!
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »
Congrats!  I thoroughly enjoyed my demos rides on the Scout at Americade
IBA #37902

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 09:55:17 PM »
I watched the gear indicator at low speeds today.  I turns on / goes blank around 13-17 mph.  Odd.
I strapped a small tailbag to the passenger seat.  Not real pretty but much better than wearing a backpack (which I did when riding it home from the dealer).
I got a surprise tonight.   The guage back-light turns red at night.  I like it, but I'll have to watch to see when.
The high beam is plenty bright, with a nice pattern, but I need to aim it down a bit.
There's not a hint of vibration or buzz in the handlebars, at any speed.  And the bars are pretty long; they go up and back.
The only gripe I've got is that the ignition is under the left side of the tank.  That means I can't turn it off w/o putting it in neutral OR doing an awkward lean and reach with my right arm (while left hand holds the clutch).

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 05:30:31 AM »
I watched the gear indicator at low speeds today.  I turns on / goes blank around 13-17 mph.  Odd.

That does seem odd?
Better mention it before warranty (30 days?) expires.
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 07:58:43 AM »
The only gripe I've got is that the ignition is under the left side of the tank.  That means I can't turn it off w/o putting it in neutral OR doing an awkward lean and reach with my right arm (while left hand holds the clutch).

Time to start getting use to using the kill switch  8)

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 08:38:23 AM »

I always just shut mine off with the side stand then I know it is still in gear when I get off.

Beautiful bike , congratulations! :bigok:   I so wanted to love this bike but can't get past the forward controls.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »

I always just shut mine off with the side stand then I know it is still in gear when I get off.

Beautiful bike , congratulations! :bigok:   I so wanted to love this bike but can't get past the forward controls.
Using the kill switch gets awkward // embarassing when I try to start it after...
Side stand doesn't shut it off...
Oh the pangs of a new-to-me bike!!

I confirmed on a Scout FB grp that they all blank out the gear indicator at low speeds - it's done via a speedo/RPM calculation...
Please, sir, may I have another pang?!?

There are a cpl co's making mid-controls for them, but they gotta cramp up your legs and kill the lean angle.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 11:18:42 AM »
Congrats, it's one of the few cruisers that make me feel funny (in a good way).  + 1 on the red and tan, too. 

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »
Indian are seeing HD off. They make great bikes.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 10:56:26 PM »
In a flash of brilliant insight, I thought of adding pinstripping to the bike - white and blue.  The bike is made in America after all.  I'll do it with tape.  If I like it, I'll find a pinstripping painter.

Another kudo to Indian; the speedo is freakishly spot on per GPS, at all legal speeds.

I spent some time this evening going with the flow of traffic on the freeway - at 80 mph.  The bike and I were both happy there.

Online doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
Congrats on your new bike! Here's to many miles of smiles.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 11:59:02 AM »
Update // retraction
The guage/display backlight doesn't change to red at night
It's always red
Which is basically invisible during the day
But it's cool, since the bike is red

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »
Red dashes are cool. I had one on my old eliminator. The only bitch was you couldn't see redline on the tach at night.  :crazy:   it was all red.  I don't think you have a tach so it should be no troubles for you.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
Update // retraction
The guage/display backlight doesn't change to red at night
It's always red
Which is basically invisible during the day
But it's cool, since the bike is red

the little light sensor isn't covered up somehow is it?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.