Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Power Pack Question ... Recommendations ...  (Read 274 times)

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
Power Pack Question ... Recommendations ...
« on: May 29, 2019, 06:49:55 AM »
I'm looking for a power pack for my camera system.  It takes 4 AAs that don't last long and can add up fast.  The power adapter that goes with it converts from 12v.  So, I know I need a power adapter with 12v out as a feature.  The camera's always worked on a 12v circuit fused at 7.5 amps, so I know the output doesn't need to exceed that.  I'm still trying to lock down how many amps the camera draws when recording.

The best I can get from the manual is 4-5 hours with (4) AA alkaline batteries, up to 10 hours with (4) AA lithium batteries.

I'm not having any luck narrowing down what would do the job.  I was thinking it'd be nice if it could act as a pass-through power source so there's constant power regardless, but if the power pack will run the camera for 15 hours or more non-stop on a single charge, it'd not be a big deal to charge it normally at the end of the day.  I have no idea of what capacity I should look for.  
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
Re: Power Pack Question ... Recommendations ...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 08:02:15 AM »
Best calculations I can find presume the following....
1 AA = 2,800 mAh (max)
mAh remains the same if multiple batteries used in series
Formula is "Hours (H) = Ah / A"
So, 4 to 5 hours essentially means a drain not exceeding 0.65 amps.

If 2,800 is anywhere reliable, then I'm needing something in excess of 11,400 mAh capacity, correct?  Granted, I don't know what loss occurs in dropping from 12v to 6v.

You can disregard.  The issue that was making me consider this option has resolved itself.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:23:09 AM by zer0netgain »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CLAY

• Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »
So what did you come up with?
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 11:02:30 PM »
He came to his senses, or at least he realised the futility of the direction he was headed.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 06:04:20 AM »
Look around for battery substitutions; over the years I've seen a few things that are shaped just like a pair of AA or AAA batteries, and are just there to fill the space and pass through power. You might need to notch the battery cover and dab it with silicon to keep the wire in place and keep weather out, but these exist. I used to use them back when I was dabbling with circuitry design, back in the day.

Then maybe a few of these: https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-24000mAh-Waterproof-Portable-Charger/dp/B01B73I5ZU
this signature on hold pending review