Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting new (or "proposed") bike from The Motor Company  (Read 1173 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Interesting new (or "proposed") bike from The Motor Company
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »
Looks like HD is trying to get some bikes out that are more relevant for today's riders.  Interesting.  I'd imagine the "faithful" will dislike it, but whatever.  If it performs a sexy v-twin could be fun!

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/future-vehicles/streetfighter.html

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
Re: Interesting new (or "proposed") bike from The Motor Company
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:33:18 PM »
They should have put underseat pipes on it and called it the MT-01.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Patmo

• Motorcycles: 2007 FZ6, 2014 Ninja 650
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 04:58:29 AM »
It’s virtually everything that many of the non-faithful have been looking for or asking for, over the last several years.  But is it to late?  Can almost guarantee that it won’t have the performance or value that the competition offers, after all those have been refined and improved over several years of production.  HD will most likely believe that their name alone is worth a couple of thousand dollar premium.  The dealers won’t know how to sell it.  The faithful will not accept it and the outlanders will dismiss it as a matter of principle.

BUT...if that said Indian on the tank, how would it be accepted and thought of?   I dare say that it would be a sensation and would be highly anticipated.  People not only would not be shocked by Indian building something that looks like this, they expect it! As in, “what took you so long?”

But, HD has spent many years making sure that the mere idea of making a modern bike is something that is beneath them, and pushing the idea that they only cater to the faithful, and not to anyone else.  “ if you don’t get, I can’t explain it to you “.  I believe that many people that would be potential customers are going to reject it just because it is a HD.  And then when it fails to sell, for whatever reason that is, HD will feel very justified in saying that they tried, but the consumers just didn’t want it. That bikes like like this just aren’t a true Harley Davidson.  That they just need to build the bikes that their faithful want.

Personally...I think it’s damn cool and hope that it has the performance to back up the look.  But I’m not expecting that to be the case.  On the other hand, I really wish that Indian would build something that looked like this, because I believe that in Indian’s case performance would be part of the package.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:46:45 AM »
They should have put underseat pipes on it and called it the MT-01.

Exactly my thoughts. <3
this signature on hold pending review

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »
So is it going to be crazy expensive like the Livewire?

I would honestly love to see HD compete in this segment, but I have little faith they can. They've been down this road before and we see how that turned out.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »
I think it’s damn cool and hope that it has the performance to back up the look.  But I’m not expecting that to be the case.  On the other hand, I really wish that Indian would build something that looked like this, because I believe that in Indian’s case performance would be part of the package.

I humbly submitt for you; http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=6155.0
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »
the harley version of my Superduke, with 1/2 the power and more weight..... whats the point??
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »
the harley version of my Superduke, with 1/2 the power and more weight..... whats the point??

I bet it will cost more too!

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »
You'd look silly riding your SuperDuke with assless chaps
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Patmo

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 10:59:07 AM »
I think it’s damn cool and hope that it has the performance to back up the look.  But I’m not expecting that to be the case.  On the other hand, I really wish that Indian would build something that looked like this, because I believe that in Indian’s case performance would be part of the package.

I humbly submitt for you; http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=6155.0

We will see if they come to actually be.  I’ve sat on the various FTR editions and found them very nice, but none of them are what I’d really call a super sport bike.....more like a sport standard bike.  Reminded me of my old ZRX, which was a great bike.  I’m looking for Indian to make something more along the lines of an FZ1 or a Super Duke, and I think they can.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 11:28:27 AM »
I would honestly love to see HD compete in this segment, but I have little faith they can. They've been down this road before and we see how that turned out.
Which 'that' are you talking about?
Buell?  V-Rod?   XR1200?

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 01:54:56 PM »
Which 'that' are you talking about?
Buell?  V-Rod?   XR1200?

I personally don't think the XR1200 was a huge departure from what HD has always been doing.

V-Rod seemed to at least be an attempt to modernize. They actually stuck behind it for almost 18 years, so I'll give them credit for that.

Having stepped into several dealerships over the years to look at Buells, I always walked out disgusted with the how the sales staff never wanted to talk to you about them. Instead they wanted to shuffle you over to the FXDDBLMNOP model. Buell is the one that irritated me the most.

Unless HD and it's dealer network is capable of a HUGE culture shift, these new models will do nothing for them.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:46:44 PM by SuperHans »

Online Black Hills

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »
IMO the Buell was just getting competitive when is was axed. some marketing and I think that thing could have sold.
marketing new bikes has to be tough. Lot's of people think things are cool, but not many actually buy them.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:11:49 PM by Black Hills »
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 03:59:41 PM »

I personally don't think the XR1200 was a huge departure from what HD has always been doing.

V-Rod seemed to at least be an attempt to modernize. They actually stuck behind it for almost 18 years, so I'll give them credit for that.

Having stepped into several dealerships over the years to look at Buells, I always walked out disgusted with the how the sales staff never wanted to talk to you about them. Instead they wanted to shuffle you over to the FXDDBLMNOP model. Buell is the one that irritated me the most.

Unless HD and it's dealer network is capable of a HUGE culture shift, these new models will do nothing for them.

Agreed. the XR1200 was a new iteration of the XR750 from back in the 70's, one that was actually available to buyers in a way that the original xr750 wasn't. Unfortunately, by that time, it was just an oddity to the HD lineup.

The VRod... well, it's already been said.

The Buell thing... would only ever have worked if HD actively owned and marketed the whole shebang. Buellby HD for that sport rider in your club. The guy who wants to take the lead and charge hard no matter what. He'll wait at the next stop, he just wants to get there first. In his Buellby HD branded leathers and shiny Buellby HD full face helmet. He may be different, but he rides just the same... (American flag waving in against the sky over a twisty, tree-lined glass smooth highway).

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
You missed your calling.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 11:50:38 AM »
I rode a V-Rod when they first came out, I remember thinking what a nice motor in such a shit frame. I think if they had expanded that line-up into it's own family they may have gotten somewhere with it. The Street Rod was pretty cool and it would have made a great touring motor but instead it languished as another low cornering clearance straight line bike.

I guess the pirates don't care for corners.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
I know I (and many others) thought the same thing. The best motor HD ever had and missing a good ST frame to make it shine.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »
The V-Rod motor had two terrible flaws, though. It was very long front to back, and it weighed a ton. Neither of those "features" made it really suitable for any other use than cruisers
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 05:42:36 PM »
No more "Freedom Fries" for you, FatBoy!
The Super Duke weights 420... :-[
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"If you pour some music on whatever is wrong, it’ll sure help out” - Levon Helm

Offline stevent

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 09:16:38 AM »
No more "Freedom Fries" for you, FatBoy!
The Super Duke weights 420... :-[

Commie bastard, why the first semi that passed you would blow that flyweight into the weeds! You need the road holding weight of good ol' 'Murican Steel to keep you on the road.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online Black Hills

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 10:31:07 AM »

Commie bastard, why the first semi that passed you would blow that flyweight into the weeds! You need the road holding weight of good ol' 'Murican Steel to keep you on the road.

lol.. I remember that ad from the 80's!

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 10:31:42 AM »

lol.. I remember that ad from the 80's!

I don't, but I would like to.  I have friends who need to see it.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Black Hills

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
it was full page in all the MC mags. two harleys meeting a semi on a rural 2 -lane highway the caption was something similar to: "there's a reason we don't build lightweight touring bikes" or something like that?  a quick google search failed to locate it. I will look for it some more.

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 02:34:57 PM »
it was full page in all the MC mags. two harleys meeting a semi on a rural 2 -lane highway the caption was something similar to: "there's a reason we don't build lightweight touring bikes" or something like that?  a quick google search failed to locate it. I will look for it some more.

Remember, don't be misled by the label "sport touring bike".    ;D

Online vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 03:20:02 PM »
Again late to the game: Indian already has FTR1200.

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »
Again late to the game: Indian already has FTR1200.

Although as of today, it is still not available to the public.     It feels like the FTR1200 is taking almost as long at the Tenere 7 to reach buyers.

Online Patmo

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 06:26:27 AM »

The stupidity is ingrained and goes back a long way.

Offline stevent

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 09:56:42 AM »

[/quote]

The stupidity is ingrained and goes back a long way.
[/quote]

I remember when Harley Davidson started recommending 20w50 multiweight oil for their bikes instead of straight 60w, you'd think it was the end of the world. You could not have offended the Faithfull more if you'd have told them hot dogs were French or something. Same thing with Synthetics, It's so slick "you'll spin the bearings" or some such tosh as I recall. Some people just aren't worth the effort I'm afraid.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »
Same thing with Synthetics, It's so slick "you'll spin the bearings" or some such tosh as I recall.

this signature on hold pending review