Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When times were simpler...  (Read 787 times)

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
When times were simpler...
« on: April 22, 2019, 02:49:45 PM »
Since the best thing to do on a conference call is clean up your hard drive, you might occasionally open a service manual for a 60s-era Honda and find...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

this signature on hold pending review

Offline 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
Re: When times were simpler...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »
Makes you wonder how many more years home mechanics will even be able to work on the latest vehicles. Several cars now don't want or basically allow owner involvement.
My hovercraft is full of eels

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 03:48:28 PM »
I can barely even find the oil dipstick in Liz's car. It's tossing a code for PCV, and when I looked it up, THE DAMNED THING IS BETWEEN THE ENGINE MOUNT AND THE ENGINE BLOCK.

Simple things complicated.

But on balance, vehicles, et al, are SOOOOOO much better these days. Pretty much in every way, and by orders of magnitude.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:03:22 PM »
Used one of these for many, many years.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 12:10:11 AM »
"Right to Repair" is a thing being hauled through the courts and legislatures as we speak. It started with John Deer going after some farmer(s) who had issues with the tractors and modded the software to either fix it or make it do what tractors are supposed to do. JD went after then claiming that JD owned the code and so, by extension, the "users" couldn't work on something they paid hard-earned money on.

https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere-farmers-right-to-repair/

https://repair.org/stand-up

https://ifixit.org/right

https://www.eff.org/issues/right-to-repair

Online SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:11:38 AM »
I can barely even find the oil dipstick in Liz's car. It's tossing a code for PCV, and when I looked it up, THE DAMNED THING IS BETWEEN THE ENGINE MOUNT AND THE ENGINE BLOCK.

But on balance, vehicles, et al, are SOOOOOO much better these days. Pretty much in every way, and by orders of magnitude.

A lot of new vehicles don't even have dipsticks anymore. You check oil level on our 2016 VW via the touchscreen.

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »
"Beware the skid demon"
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »

A lot of new vehicles don't even have dipsticks anymore. You check oil level on our 2016 VW via the touchscreen.

So do you have to wipe the screen with a clean rag afterward?
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 08:42:16 AM »
You can change the oil on BMW bikes. but you need the dealer or a $300 tool (GS-911) to reset the service reminder light.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 01:41:53 PM »

Yeah and it gets real messy.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 02:28:01 PM »

Depends on what you were looking at on the screen.   :naughty:

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 02:31:06 PM »
You can change the oil on BMW bikes. but you need the dealer or a $300 tool (GS-911) to reset the service reminder light.

there is no work around for it? My KTM's you can reset it by holding a couple buttons down ?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 07:12:26 PM »

there is no work around for it? My KTM's you can reset it by holding a couple buttons down ?

On the new BMWs one can use a generic OBD scanner, but on everything from 08 up to 19 you need a GS911. The 911 does a lot more than shut off the service light..... and Yes you will need one if you decide that the stealer is just toooo pricey. The GS911 will save you $$$ in the long run 
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 11:24:44 AM »
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »

On the new BMWs one can use a generic OBD scanner, but on everything from 08 up to 19 you need a GS911. The 911 does a lot more than shut off the service light..... and Yes you will need one if you decide that the stealer is just toooo pricey. The GS911 will save you $$$ in the long run

Yeah I was kinda' wondering about that. I asked the dealer I bought the bike from to reset the service indicator and give me some oil and a filter for the 12k oil change since they had not done it yet. The 18k service is a little more invasive so I'm not sure how to go about it when that becomes due. I can do everything but adjust the valves myself, I just don't feel like tackling that one. I can hear the top end ticking so the valves themselves are nice and loose, so realistically they probably don't need adjusting anyway. However there's some value in having a qualified mechanic go through the whole service procedure at least once, since the bike was bought used with no verifiable service history. The store manager got verbal confirmation that the 6k was done from a multi-line dealership, and the barfed up fasteners on the shifter side mounting plate and K&N oil filter are evidence of that at least.

I dunno'.... I don't really care if the service indicator is on but the GS911 would be a good investment anyway aside from resetting the reminder. I guess I'll just have to see when the time comes.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 10:51:15 AM »
I dunno'.... I don't really care if the service indicator is on but the GS911 would be a good investment anyway aside from resetting the reminder. I guess I'll just have to see when the time comes.

At $50 a pop for BMW to do it, it'll pay for itself in due course.  Maybe someone with a BMW near you already has one and will do it for you for a ten spot?

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »
I fondly remember (not)  when I was a kid growing up in the Ottawa region, on cold winter mornings, watching my neighbour sticking a screwdriver in his carburetor and pouring starting fluid to get the damm thing his engine to start.   :rolleyes:
Ride safe!

Online Black Hills

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 01:10:47 PM »
haha.. exactly!! and this modern day "let it warm up while I go back in the house" was the stuff of science fiction.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 01:21:43 PM »
haha.. exactly!! and this modern day "let it warm up while I go back in the house" was the stuff of science fiction.

You leave the house to warm it up?......Savages!

Online Black Hills

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 01:27:14 PM »
haha.. well, ya that's yet another level. can you imagine telling that guy out there with the screwdriver "I just push the button on this little thing from the house and it starts and idles just nicely no matter the temp"

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 02:01:27 PM »
I had a KZ750 and then KZ650 with points.
If I rode in rain for a good pit of time they'd start missing and I'd have to pull over (preferably under an over hang) and dry off the points and everything under the points cover.
It got better on the 650 after I put non-hardening gasket sealer on the gasket.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 03:01:51 AM »
I fondly remember (not)  when I was a kid growing up in the Ottawa region, on cold winter mornings, watching my neighbour sticking a screwdriver in his carburetor and pouring starting fluid to get the damm thing his engine to start.   :rolleyes:

I used to have a tractor which started by sticking a (no pellet) shotgun cartridge in a special slot and hitting it with a hammer.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 06:28:26 PM »

I grew up in Montreal, my dad always had air cooled cars like a Beetle or a DKW or a two stroke Saab so he didn't have to worry about them freezing. Of course they took forever to warm up but by the time we shoveled the snow out of the way you could at least see out of the windows.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »
I've got a TW200 with kick start..........It doesnt  get much simpler!