Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ST 1300, Any thoughts?  (Read 261 times)

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
ST 1300, Any thoughts?
« on: April 07, 2019, 01:33:41 PM »
I'm thinking of trading off my Super Tenere, I looked at the Connie 14 and FJR and both seemed a little cramped for my damaged knees which sucks because I like the Connie in particular. I owned a K1200GT for awhile which I liked but it had seemingly impossible to resolve fueling issues. I like the Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT so that's a remote option, I even looked at a H-D but I don't know if I want to spend the money and I'm kinda' looking for some 4 cylinder love anyway.

That brings to the ST1300. I've always heard and thought they were awesome bikes, but a little on the porky side - kind of a Gold Wing lite. I see the WSP rides them as well as other police forces so that's a plus as I know cops are hard on bikes and they seem to hold up well. Owners seem to rave about them and I do like the look and amenities, there's a few of them around for reasonable money so I guess I'm asking what anybody else thinks of them? Any known issues or gotcha's I should be aware of? I hear they run warm but that's not really and issue around here since it's cool and crummy out most of the year anyway.... Anything else I should look for?
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
Re: ST 1300, Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 01:47:17 PM »
Bulletproof bikes, they are.  Mine just sold locally with 113k miles on it.  Still going strong, still a bike I’d have gone rallying with tomorrow.  It has more room than the FJR and Concours to be fair.  I’ve ridden all three for some miles.  Get on the ST-Owners forum and plan on putting a couple hundred thousand miles on the one you choose.  The T-31 tires are excellent rubber for the hulking beast.

ETA: never had an issue with heat on a 2006.
--Tom

Online Dketchum

• Motorcycles: 2016 Versys 1000
Re: ST 1300, Any thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 03:41:31 PM »
I had on 03 st1300.  Put nearly 90 k miles on it...rode it from coast to coast and north and south, loaded with camping gear..  Only had one very unusual failure involving the alternator in the v of the engine. Pulled it out and rebuilt it for less than $80 vs. $650 for a new one. It was a bit heavy but never handled like it was, smooth mile eater.

I have a 2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 now.   Versatile, comfortable, smooth, GREAT engine and clutch.
Have taken quite a few trips loaded with camping gear and it just loves to eat the miles. You should try and ride one if you can.

The new 2019 has had major changes to it. Looks like an awesome bike.