Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: does TC extend tire life?  (Read 1727 times)

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Re: does TC extend tire life?
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2019, 02:20:14 PM »

You need a tic tac and a horehound after that comment......lol

Speaking of that it's supertruckers 60th B-day party next weekend. I'm sure you are bummed to have to miss it....lol
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2019, 05:00:34 PM »
Well I guess I am in trouble. My tire seems to be wearing normally already. 3k and there is a definate loss of roundness.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »

This info goes back a ways but in the racing world, it's generally accepted that the more a tire hooks up, the faster it wears (Which kindof defies logic).
That seems logical to me. A steel tire wouldn't wear but also wouldn't get any traction.  An eraser tire would grip well by sacraficing it's tread and carcas - until it wore out.

But aren't you now speaking to tire compounds? Softer track tires wear faster than hard tires. A steel tire would last longer than the eraser-its steel. Traction control does not make the tire grip better, it prevent spinning. Isn't wear actually just having small pieces of tire being torn off? Spinning will teat off pieces as will conforming to an abrasive surface and pushing of on it at different rates. Look at the fenders of cars after they smoked their tires. I think spinning on an abrasive surface will increase wear, like sandpaper on a table leg in a lathe. Slowing down the lathe will slow down the wear rate. If you could move the sandpaper at the same rate as the lathe, how fast would it wear it down?
  I would concede that a traction control might get the tire to get to a point of maximum flex against an abrasive surface, and the that flexing instead of tearing would create more heat to build up in the tire, allowing more micro particles of tire to be removed as it rotates on a continual basis, rather than just spinning out of corners.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?