Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Road trip - camper gotten!  (Read 434 times)

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
Road trip - camper gotten!
« on: March 14, 2019, 04:00:21 PM »
Left early this morning, made Richmond, IN by 1.  Thoroughly inspected the camper and bought it.  Rain, wind and adventure the whole trip.  I should be home by 9 tonight.  It tows nicely behind the Transit.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:15:26 AM by sleazy rider »
--Tom

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
Re: Road trip!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
Nice! Safe travels.
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:08:02 PM »
But, how will it look with a Mexican license plate on it?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:49:13 PM »
What color is the transit?

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »
Transit is silver.  Made it home at 9 tonight after leaving the dealership at 4:30ish, all back roads because towing a new trailer.  Weather was absolutely all over the board.  Rain/thunderstorms/sunshine repeat.  A nice 12 hour day in the van.   :crazy:   
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 07:20:09 AM »
Down to Richmond, Indiana and back yesterday in the storms.  The camper was relatively clean and in good shape.  All the structural wood was solid.  It only had one deep cycle battery and one propane tank installed, but NBD. I have full tanks in the garage.  Everything worked, but it needs tires.  $120 expense for new wheels/tires from Carlisle thru Walmart.  The driver's side tire is still good and will be used as a spare, but the other is dry rotted.  It made the trip home without popping thankfully!  Camping World didn't stock tires?  Dafuq is wid dat?

I also need to get the van hitch rewired from four flat to seven round and add an electric brake controller.  Camping World service department got me hooked up for trailer lights to drive home, but the e-brake system was not operational.  Made stopping a bit of a pre-planned effort.  I came up US-127 all the way to US-12 in Michigan and back roads the entire trip.  The van got just over 20 mpg towing the camper at 60 mph.  Life is good!

Today, I need to set up the camper, get it dried out from being set up yesterday in the rain for inspection and do some cleaning.  It needs a bath real bad from the crap weather yesterday.  After it gets disconnected from the van, the hitch stinger is getting flopped over to make it a 2" rise vs a drop and level it out better for towing.

I slept real good last night.  lol 

One bitch - the side/front marker lights are too damn bright at night to back the trailer up.  I couldn't see the end of the trailer because of the glare.  Ended up turning all the lights on in/on the garage to get it up the drive straight.
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
Re: Road trip - camper gotten!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 06:36:30 AM »
 :bluduh:   :baldy:

Left the key to the camper sitting in Richmond's Camping World.   :facepalm:   I ordered three new keys from Beckley Camping Center and they'll be here faster and cheaper than having CW ship the old keys.  In the meantime, I'm getting some of the repair stuff ordered. 

Got the camper stuffed in the garage with a smidge of room to spare.  Very easy in the daylight.  I can walk around it.  Barely.

• New Kenda tires & white wagon wheel rims are on their way, due here Wednesday.  Will inspect/repack bearings while doing the tire swaps.  I think I have some chrome lug nuts that will fit in the tool box.
  • The breakaway cable replacement for the e-brakes has been ordered from eBay.
  • Wheel chocks ordered at Lowes
  • Tested the deep cycle battery.  It makes a great brick.  Autozone has a 105AH replacement with a 12 month warranty for under $100 to be picked up today.
  • Found a second set of j-hooks to mount another propane bottle on the tongue in the exterior storage bin of the camper.  Might get an auto switchover valve to save my back in the middle of a cold night.
  • Started listing and gathering some of the car camping stuff to place in the camper.  LED lights, pots/pans/dishes/silverware, sleeping gear, etc.
  • I think the camper's cargo rack bars are coming off for now.  I don't foresee hauling anything on top of it.
First camping adventure will be a local shakedown up by Mr. Awesome at Metamora-Hadley State Park in a few weeks.
--Tom

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 07:37:09 AM »
Let me know when you will be there Tom. Aura and i will come over and enjoy a fire with you. I'll bring some wood.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »
Let me know when you will be there Tom. Aura and i will come over and enjoy a fire with you. I'll bring some wood.
Heh, just went online to reserve a spot.  They don't open for camping until April 26th.
DANG IT!  I just looked outside.  Went from seeing grass everywhere yesterday, this morning everything is white again.   :bluduh:
--Tom

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 07:58:12 AM »
Even then, I don't think you will need a reservation. That place doesn't start hopping till after memorial day.

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »
Tommy, keep us updated on your repair - improvements.
There are a few popup campers in my area (need work) I have my eye on.

I was surprised your four banger pulled it with out much problem. Good news for me, because older popups can be pretty heavy.
I'll be pulling with a 3.6 - V6,
<--- Front wheel drive, 3,500lb. max towing.

Will you tow the camper to the Spring Meet?
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 08:47:51 AM »
Pics!
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 09:49:15 AM »

I was surprised your four banger pulled it with out much problem. Good news for me, because older popups can be pretty heavy.
I'll be pulling with a 3.6 - V6,
<--- Front wheel drive, 3,500lb. max towing.

Will you tow the camper to the Spring Meet?

The TC has the Duratec 2.0l and it wasn't a rocket off the line, but it did move out smartly.  And yes, the camper is being prepped for heavy use this summer, the Spring Meet being one of the destinations.
Check out http://www.popupportal.com/ for good source info.

And for Bungie, I only have the CW listing photos at the minute.
Ouside shots
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 09:50:12 AM »
Inside:

--Tom

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 09:57:05 AM »
Yeah. Hubs and suspension. DAMHIK. I'm sure you saw over in my thread.....

Check everything. EVERYTHING.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 08:11:35 PM »
I have the same Popup, kids love it. When I sold the 65 mustang I recycled the toy fund into something the family could all enjoy. I think it has been 5 years now, no complaints from the family.
Best mod so far was to put D load rated tires, she rides smoother and stays even on the road. 
 There is an O ring on the sink faucet, change it. Real simple, and available at ACE hardware. If/when it begins to leak the particle board that makes up the countertop quickly becomes like cheese. I now have a nice hardwood countertop.
  The heater works quite well, drawback is you have to have shore power or generator. Was out on the beach with the rig and the night had that cold damp feeling, since we were plugged into the power at the campsite, on went the heater. Everyone was warm and happy, I forgot to turn it down/off when we went to bed. We woke up thinking we were camping in the desert in the middle of the day. Use thermostat as intended.

Congrats the Carmel will serve you well.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 06:10:41 AM »
I have the same Popup, kids love it. When I sold the 65 mustang I recycled the toy fund into something the family could all enjoy. I think it has been 5 years now, no complaints from the family.
Best mod so far was to put D load rated tires, she rides smoother and stays even on the road. 
 There is an O ring on the sink faucet, change it. Real simple, and available at ACE hardware. If/when it begins to leak the particle board that makes up the countertop quickly becomes like cheese. I now have a nice hardwood countertop.
  The heater works quite well, drawback is you have to have shore power or generator. Was out on the beach with the rig and the night had that cold damp feeling, since we were plugged into the power at the campsite, on went the heater. Everyone was warm and happy, I forgot to turn it down/off when we went to bed. We woke up thinking we were camping in the desert in the middle of the day. Use thermostat as intended.

Congrats the Carmel will serve you well.
I noted the sink drain putty had gone hard and was cracking out while doing the walk thru.  It's on my repair list, but I'll also pull the faucet now and check all the o-rings there.  I'm considering swapping out the faucet for a slightly taller bar type spout too.  Good info on the furnace needing 110v to run.  I've been hemming and hawing about loading my big 5k watt generator in the van when traveling, but something like Bill's 2k watt would be much handier and easier to load/unload.  If it handles his big rig, our's would barely make it sweat. 

When I tent camp in parks with the bike, I usually pack a small electric heater and 25' extension cord cuz I hate being cold.   :smiley_thumb:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-2-000-1-400-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-801309/206522861
is the generator I've been eyeballing.  65db running and 9 hours run time at 50% load?  I can tolerate that!

--Tom

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »
Just to clarify the O ring is on the bar spout.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 02:24:33 PM »
The only thing the 2k won't do is start the AC.  I think.  I haven't tried.  I have 2 and can tether them together for all I need but for most trips, one is plenty sufficient.  Are you sure about the heat?  My heat runs off the battery and the propane.  Same with the last rig.  Of course, there are things that are huge power sucks that you can't use together.  Like the microwave and anything else.  Same with a blowdryer.  Same with a toaster or electric kettle.  These are all lessons that are learned pretty quickly.  One thing I love on the Honda, and I don't know if they all do this, is that the generator will simply throw a small switch and go back to idle and stop trying if you ask too much of it.  You just reset the button and all is well again.  Don't have to replace fuses in the rig or wait till damage is done.  We paid out the nose for those Hondas but I wouldn't go back even if I could.  OK, well, the ones at Harbor Freight look pretty tempting at a quarter of the price.  :)
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 05:17:25 PM »
Not sure what is on your Carmel, but for sure on mine it is shore/gen power to get the heater on. Water pump and refrig are batteries or shore/gen. Hot water is bottle only, sure is nice to have a warm rinse off after being in the ocean.  I carry a Honda 2000 (suitcase style generator) works just fine for our need, but we have only window and fan A/C.
  Before heading out I like to precool the refrig by running an extension cord to the trailer for a day with the refrig on max cold. While traveling run the frig off of the batteries and less cold. Switching to the bottle when we are at the destination.
  Getting rid of the incandescent interior lamps, and switching to LED saved a lot of battery life. But consider the cost of bright white LEDs compared to the warm incandescent lamps (soft candle light to Arch lamps). 

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 05:43:30 PM »
As soon as I can get it opened up, the new storage battery installed and can test everything, I'll know what works with what.  Two nearly full propane tanks in the garage from a couple bbqs that got tossed for rusting out that can be used to pressurize stuff.
I'm probably going to end up with two large 250w solar panels on the roof and a controller hooked into the system and a second battery on the tongue down the road.  Got the hitch stinger swapped over to 2" rise vs drop and it's nearly level when hooked up now.  In the mean time, I'll buy the small generator and use it to power up while boondocking. 

There's supposed to be a 10 gallon portable gray water tank under the tail section.  I have yet to look for it. 

I have no a/c installed.  Yet.
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 09:07:46 AM »
Morning spent drinking coffee, playing with Basecamp mapping and a budget.
May:

--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
June:
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
July, the big one:

--Tom

Online bowtie76

• Motorcycles: 06 Sprint ST, 06 CRF450R plated, 03 R6 track bike
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 10:21:58 AM »
OK, well, the ones at Harbor Freight look pretty tempting at a quarter of the price.  :)

I've got the harbor freight 3500W inverter generator and it has been great.  I use it at the track, tire warmers, fans, heater.  I even hooked up a transfer box at the house.  Thing runs family room and kitchen (micro, and fridge), bedrooms, and bathrooms.

Running next to the Hondas both just purr quietly along.  I would not hesitate to recommend the harbor freight.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »
Another parts order placed.  Getting all the exterior dust caps, water and electrical covers and such that are broken/missing now.  Put a dual propane tank cover on the list too.  Tires and wheels are due at the door this afternoon.  Tomorrow (a day off) will be roll it out, open and start the system checks.  Install tires and mount the good used as a spare on the rear with the conveniently provided factory tire cover.

We had 30a to 15a plug converters on the shelf at Lowes, so one came home last night with me.

I gave the underside a good going over yesterday morning.  No water stains on any of the flooring, a good thing too. 

Gonna check work today for some canvas cleaner and waterproofing liquids. 

The day is rapidly approaching to get out of the store for the summer.  The open road beckons!
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »
mousetraps

just sayin
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »
Mice? Yep get them critters gone! 
I use dryer sheets (everyware) since day one. Previous owner used them to keep the mice out so I kept it up. So far no mice, something about they don't like the smell of downy fresh  :shrug: