Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lithium batteries and heated jackets  (Read 4211 times)

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Lithium batteries and heated jackets
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
I wanted to extend the usefulness of my Gerbings jacket, so I can use it away from the bike, and bought a Gerbings battery. Not cheap. The battery lasts 20-30 minutes, depending on the power setting, before it gives up the ghost. I ring Gerbings and they point out that, yes, it will run a jacket but only for 40-50 minutes (,ore than I'm getting but still not enough). It's rated at 5200MaH-should have remebered my schoolboy physics.

Are there any other lithium batteries out there that might do the job? I'm looking a lithium batteries for mopeds and scooters but they might be a tad bulky.

Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
Re: Lithium batteries and heated jackets
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »
Why don't you see if you can jerry rig a cordless drill battery?
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:38:08 PM »
I saw someone with a 12v m/c battery strapped to the rear rack powering his passenger's gear.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
Wait -- can this lithium batter serve in lieu of a couple of bannanas if Pop forgets his meds?
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »
Mmm...lithium batter... :drool:
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »
ask a sensible question..........

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 06:49:01 AM »
You could always just add an extra smaller more manageable sized battery in parallel. 

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
Car battery and a hand truck.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:17:10 AM »
ask a sensible question..........

Why start now?
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »
I wanted to extend the usefulness of my Gerbings jacket, so I can use it away from the bike,

[...]

I'm looking a lithium batteries for mopeds and scooters but they might be a tad bulky.

Known: The current battery does not supply sufficient juice for the length of time you wish to have heat.

Where do you plan to be when wanting heat from the jacket? Working in a shop (somewhat moving around with 110v AC nearby)? Standing in one spot (construction zone flagger) for long durations? Were you planning to wear this battery set to have mobility?

Essentially, can you supplement battery power with corded power from wall power (to converter to 14vDC)? When in the shop, be connected to corded power to supply heat and to recharge an on-person battery but have it such that you can easily unplug for on-battery mobility?

If you're in a set location (or maybe one with a shortish cord), go with a large, not-constantly-mobile battery (car battery that gets recharged nightly)?
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 11:01:52 AM »
I wanted to extend the usefulness of my Gerbings jacket, so I can use it away from the bike,

[...]

I'm looking a lithium batteries for mopeds and scooters but they might be a tad bulky.

Known: The current battery does not supply sufficient juice for the length of time you wish to have heat.

Where do you plan to be when wanting heat from the jacket? Working in a shop (somewhat moving around with 110v AC nearby)? Standing in one spot (construction zone flagger) for long durations? Were you planning to wear this battery set to have mobility?

Essentially, can you supplement battery power with corded power from wall power (to converter to 14vDC)? When in the shop, be connected to corded power to supply heat and to recharge an on-person battery but have it such that you can easily unplug for on-battery mobility?

If you're in a set location (or maybe one with a shortish cord), go with a large, not-constantly-mobile battery (car battery that gets recharged nightly)?

walking.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
There are battery powered heated clothing out there. They usually use less power, give off less heat, so the batteries last longer. I have friend who use them for hunting/walking and they claim 7 to 8 hours continuous use.

The vest you have is designed to use power from a 12v charging system. Power consumption, per design, isn't really a problem unless you go over what the charging system can deliver.  IMO you would have to carry a large motorcycle battery with you to have a decent duration. A car or truck battery would even be better. You could pull it along in one of these:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:lol: :razz:
Ride safe!

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »
The vest he has is also designed to deal with constant 60 mph wind chill.  I calculate it'll take a whole lot less power at walking speed(s).
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »
There are battery powered heated clothing out there. They usually use less power, give off less heat, so the batteries last longer. I have friend who use them for hunting/walking and they claim 7 to 8 hours continuous use.

We bought the Mobile Warming vests so we could wear them at football games and other events along with motorcycle riding. We have had one battery go bad but otherwise have been very happy with the results.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 03:20:39 PM »
We bought the Mobile Warming vests so we could wear them at football games and other events along with motorcycle riding. We have had one battery go bad but otherwise have been very happy with the results.
Do they run off of 12V as well?  That'd be a 'cool' investment.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 03:28:38 PM »
Of course not. If they did that they couldn't sell you their proprietary batteries.

Online bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • Motorcycles: 03 SV1000s, 08 ZG1400
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 07:31:31 AM »
Not sure what voltage you need,If it runs on 12v, this would work. If it can handle up to 17v, this would be ideal.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.