Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weight loss  (Read 80689 times)

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
Weight loss
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
OK so I think this one is missing from STO. Not sure how many STOners are actively trying to lose weight or just eat healthier or eat a diet that works with their bodies but here is a thread for bragging, crying or just sharing your recipes.

Wife and I started low carbing back in Aug-Sept. I started around 220 and the wife started at 127. This morning I was 198 and she was 112. Happy to report that we did NOT gain any weight over the holidays but we didn't lose any either. Last week was our first serious week of sticking to our diet since mid Dec. We are not in any race or anything but are pacing ourselves and losing weight without much effort. Her goal is 110lbs and mine is what ever I can get.... :P

Food we discovered that we like that are low carb.

Using Spaghetti Squash to make noodles is pretty darn impressive. Bake and use a fork to "shred" the inside. Makes good low to no carb noodles. Add your favorite low carb sauce and meat balls and you're in the zone.

Cauliflower boiled the whipped up in a blender with just a touch of mash potato flakes make awesome no carb mash potatoes.

Pork Rinds, OMG we are both so lucky we like these. They have been our "snacky feeling" solution! No carbs but lots of salt, gotta watch that (we both have high BP).

Peanut Butter Balls, basically find a zero carb chocolate shake mix (powder)and mix it with "no sugar added" peanut butter to make a thick dough. Roll it into 1 to 1.5 inch balls then roll those balls in chopped nuts. Place on a wax paper and put in the fridge. Awesome for when you are having a sweet tooth attack.

I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline marc11

Re: Weight loss
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
One thing, a diet is temporary, changing your eating habits is life long.  If you want to take weight off and keep it off, change how and what you eat, do not diet....

Weight loss is not just about carbs..it is 100% no doubt about it about calories in and calories out, PERIOD.  How you get those calories is up to you.  Yes yes yes, you can go to the micro nutrient side and measure many things, but the fact is, if your daily caloric intake needs are say 2000 to MAINTAIN your weight based on your height, current weight, age and activity level, and you eat only 1000 calories a day in Doritos you WILL LOSE WEIGHT.  You will be hungry all the time, because 1000 calories in Doritos is only about a bag full, but you will lose weight.

So many people diet without knowing how many calories first they need to maintain weight and then how many calories, true honest to goodness calories they eat each day and how much weight they want to lose in what period of time.

Bottom line is 3500 calories in surplus or excess of your needs over a given period of time equals 1 pound of weight.  Get on a few sites and HONESTLY calculate what your caloric intake needs are.  Now take that number and look at how many pounds you want to loose and how quickly, for each pound subtract 3500 calories and divide that over the number of days you wish to lose it, boom, your average daily calorie deficit is shown.  If you want to lose a pound a week, then take 500 calories a day out of your diet, DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU EAT, just track every single food and correct quantity with a site like Daily Burn and My Fitness Pal.

As a tip, foods high in protein and fiber are usually LOWER in calories by make you feel FULLER longer.  Avoid anything fried, breaded, cheesy and many dairy based products.  Look at chicken breast, non-fat PLAIN greek yogurt (add your own fruit) balance bars, Kashi bars, plain oatmeal, etc.  Stay away from sugar, especially in foods, it adds tons of calories and it does nothing to make you feel full and watch out for drinks.  People think drinks do not add weight, can't tell you how many people I see in the gym jump on the treadmill for 10 minutes, burn 100 calories and then guzzle a Gatorade only to add back 240 calories.  They just GAINED WEIGHT by exercising.

Oh and that old adage that muscle weighs more than fat LOL LOL LOL BS, a pound of fat is a pound, a pound of muscle is a pound....

As for exercising, lifting weights, even light ones, burns more calories than cardio....its a fact.  So do a few full body workouts three times a week, cut your caloric intake by 200 to 500 calories a day from your required and watch the weight drop.

Oh last thing, remember to adjust your caloric needs as you drop weight, the less you weigh, the few calories you need, so continue to recalculate and adjust until you reach your target weight and then set your maintenance calories.

Rant over, but if you want to know more let me know.  I am pretty heavy into this thing and can tell you at any moment what I ate, how much, what my calorie intake is, how much protein I need and how many more calories I need for the day, my exercise routines, etc....
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »
Not a rant...just the facts.   :smiley_thumb:

I've used myfitnesspal.com to track everything I eat and it works wonders for seeing how much you consume and adjusting it to a level that will work for weight loss.

Offline marc11

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »

I've used myfitnesspal.com to track everything I eat and it works wonders for seeing how much you consume and adjusting it to a level that will work for weight loss.

I love it, been using it for almost two years now, it's a little buggy at times, but works well.  I like Daily Burn too, but it kept losing my data so I gave up.  I have it tied into my Fitbit Flex and my Aria scale that I step on each morning when I get up.  The amount of data you can track so easily is amazing.  Yeah it takes some time to adjust to tracking your eating and weight, but once it becomes routine you just do it.  I can get within 20 calories and 2 grams of protein as a guess for almost any food I eat now.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I went from 175 pounds and pushing a 36 inch waist down to 140 pounds with a 28 inch waist and 42 inch chest.  Did it all with just changing and tracking my eating and hitting the gym 3 times a week at first and now 5 times a week....and I am 45 years old, so age is a non-factor.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »
Just started my effort today - target is 30 lbs.

Offline TwistedT

• Contributor
  • Now with contribution!
  • Motorcycles: Yes, please.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
Me too. I'm at 199, target is 185.  :bigok:
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »
Good for you! Losing weight and keeping it off can be very tough. I have been at goal for a year and a half now after doing WeightWatchers for a year. I lost 90 lbs and still track everything I eat and do each day.

Sent through subspace from the U.S.S. Enterprise.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »

That's exactly what I need to do.

I dropped 40 lbs last year but I'm completely stalled about 25 lbs from my goal. Thanks for the tip. I'm installing myfitnesspal on my phone now.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
I started a year ago, maybe more? at 245. I am now stuck at 225? I will keep working at it. I definitely need more exercise so am working on that . As far as eating I haven't changed a whole lot, just cut down on portions, quit drinking coke, and cut down on beer and pizza.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline marc11

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »
I started a year ago, maybe more? at 245. I am now stuck at 225? I will keep working at it. I definitely need more exercise so am working on that . As far as eating I haven't changed a whole lot, just cut down on portions, quit drinking coke, and cut down on beer and pizza.

That is huge.  A can of coke is about 120 calories, a 4 ounce chicken breast is 110 calories.  I'd rather eat the chicken.  Portion size has a lot to do with it.  Pizza, when I eat it, I take some of the cheese off as an example.  Then I can eat two slices, feel full, but cut the calories almost in half and the taste IMHO is just as good.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline marc11

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »

That's exactly what I need to do.

I dropped 40 lbs last year but I'm completely stalled about 25 lbs from my goal. Thanks for the tip. I'm installing myfitnesspal on my phone now.

Yep you are eating too much.  Find out what your caloric intake needs are, then track your food.  You will break through.  Hit the weights lightly a few times a week if you don't already.  If you do, hit it a bit more, make sure you are getting a fully body workout in if you are a beginner, that means, back, chest, arms, legs, shoulders, all a little bit.

Post up questions about working out of foods...
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 01:42:21 PM »
not smiley face

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »
I peaked out at 250 a few years ago. Clocked in at 210 this morning. Planning to dip below 200 sometime this year and hold it there.

I really didn't change too much. Cut down on portion size, cut out some of the sillier stuff, and got more active. It works. It's just been slow.

My wife has a more serious weight problem and has finally gotten interested in changing the way she thinks about food and nutrition, so I'm expecting to up the ante this year. My motivation there is to support her, but I'll reap the benefits as well.   :bigok:
A man with no sig

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
Starting again next Monday. I'm back up to 237lbs. Not my heaviest weight ever, but heavier than my body wants to be. My goal is 180lbs. It'll never happen, so I'll settle for 195lbs which is what I weighed before I crashed the Duc. I'm really looking forward to running again. I'm going to look for some races to sign up for now!
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »

What, are you cutting off both legs and arms and having most of your torso removed???  :crazy:

Carl
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
Most of my problem is in the mindless eating vs thinking about what I'm having. I do pretty well if I keep myself thinking about what I'm eating.

I'm using Lose It! on the iPad to track exercise and food and Jefit to keep track of my exercises.

Carl

Offline marc11

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »
Most of my problem is in the mindless eating vs thinking about what I'm having. I do pretty well if I keep myself thinking about what I'm eating.

I'm using Lose It! on the iPad to track exercise and food and Jefit to keep track of my exercises.

Carl

Jefit frustrated me with data loss and sync issues that I gave up.  I use Gym Book to track me workouts, not sure if there is an iOS version or not.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
I used to be 210 when I was in the service, but since i retired 7 months ago, I'm down to 185 and have stabilized. I'd like to get to 175, but I'm fine with 185. I feel the best I've felt in 20 years. What's weird is that I haven't been to the gym at all (military kinda required it), and eat/drink way worse (candy bars, soda, snacks all the dang time) now than I have in probably 15-20 yrs. Guess my job is good for something with all the walking I do.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 04:38:48 PM »
Yall sure are fat.  ;D
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »

Thanks.

I do have a couple of those annoyingly broad questions regarding weight training. How do you know where to start? How do you figure out how much weight to start with? Is there a good program for beginners? Something like the Couch 2 5K for weight training. I've done a bunch of goggling but haven't found anything that seems to fit the bill.

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 04:45:48 PM »
I'm cutting a little bit right now. I like to sit between 10 and 12% body fat when possible but I often get lazy or my goals shift and I start building my squats which personally tends to make me put fat on.

I know in theory it doesn't have to but I find it easier to do it that way.

So I'll probably cut 10-15 pounds. For this I just drop almost everything out of my diet except protein for a while.

So it's grilled chicken breasts and salads for a while.
Support 12-5

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »
I know it is wrong according to all the "facts" but does anybody feel better at a slightly higher weight? I'm 6'2 and defiantly feel fat at 225. but years ago I lost weight do to an illness and got down to 170. I didn't really feel as strong as usual (working as a lineman) until I was back up around 200? 195 to 205 just feels right to me?  anyhow I will be happy to get back to 200 and call it good.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline marc11

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »
I know it is wrong according to all the "facts" but does anybody feel better at a slightly higher weight? I'm 6'2 and defiantly feel fat at 225. but years ago I lost weight do to an illness and got down to 170. I didn't really feel as strong as usual (working as a lineman) until I was back up around 200? 195 to 205 just feels right to me?  anyhow I will be happy to get back to 200 and call it good.

I'm trying to gain myself.  Its the same concept though. You need to eat more. Period. If you are like me and workout you need to consider your calorie and protein burn and add that back into your diet. I'm trying to add lean muscle and get down to 12 percent body fat so I am very focused on protein protein protien with my calories.

I can almost nail it when I drop or gain a pound or two I feel different. Hard to explain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:13:59 PM by marc11 »
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline marc11

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »

Thanks.

I do have a couple of those annoyingly broad questions regarding weight training. How do you know where to start? How do you figure out how much weight to start with? Is there a good program for beginners? Something like the Couch 2 5K for weight training. I've done a bunch of goggling but haven't found anything that seems to fit the bill.

There is ton on bad information on the internet.   If you haven't lifted a weight in more than six months consider yourself a beginner. So you must start slow and forget egos at the door. If the dude next to you is benching 280 pounds and all you can do is 45 that's all that matters.

You need two things, to ensure you stick to a schedule and progressive overload for growth.

Let me give you a small workout to start with for a month. You can throw 10 or 20 mins on the bike or treadmill if you like too. Also start each set with a few warm up sets. Something like 25 percent of your workout weight, then 50 percent then 75 percent.  I can explain why if needed. Stretching is not needed.

You should try to do this three days a week, something like Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Two workouts A and B so it would be ABA rest rest BAB rest rest rest etc.

A
Squats 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps each
Bench press 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Rows 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

B
Lat pull ups 3 seta of 8 to 10 reps if you can't do pull ups yet the. Use a machine and do pull downs in front of you not behind the neck.

Shoulder press 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Deadlifts 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Rest 1 to 2 minutes between sets. Don't guess use a stop watch.

As for weight the first few weeks you will need to go very light and add on. If you start with a weight and bang out all three sets to max reps its too light next time add weight. Keep a log boom so you know what you did and can track progress.

Also I don't do pyramid sets if my workout weight is 200 pounds I do all three of my workout sets at that weight.  What's the point of doing lighter weight when only he last set works???  This is a fact check it out.

So this is where I would start any beginner. I would do this with food management for a month or two and then i can suggeat the next level workout which you would do for six months before moving to more muscle targeted days five to six days a week.  Noy everyone wants to get that serious though. There is a great book I can recommend.

If you need help on how to do an exercise or more questions as to why the above routine is where you start feel free to ask.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
You would not want to do cardio if you're trying to gain weight though would you?

Offline marc11

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »
You would not want to do cardio if you're trying to gain weight though would you?

No in fact I cut it out altogether as I was shedding too much weight. Shame too because I enjoyed it. But a good workout with weights cycles the heart pretty good. Pumping during the lift and back to rhythm during rest.

I should rephrase this. If you wanted to do cardio then compensate for it with more food intake or less weight lifting.  Depends on your goals. I want strength and muscle growth so cardio was easy to cut out. But I do abs Every fifth day.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 06:02:33 PM »

If you need help on how to do an exercise or more questions as to why the above routine is where you start feel free to ask.

Awesome. That looks like good info. Thanks.

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »

I've got the "lose it" app on the almighty iPhone.  Tracks calories 'n such well.  Has a nice bar scanner that I haven't been able to stump yet...I wish I could get more detailed info without paying a dang subscription for the deluxe version.  I'd like to track sodium, fats, and other blood pressure and cholesterol better.

Hoping to hit 240 by June.

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:11 PM »

Lot of variables there making the ultimate reasons for your experience pretty tough to call.

There shouldn't be a reason to feel weaker at, say, 10-15% BF than 25% BF with the same muscle mass.

There's lots of reasons you would feel awful at 6% BF at that LBM, but chances are that didn't apply.

There's also lots of reasons you would feel weaker if you lost 50 pounds during a bout of serious illness that wouldn't relate to the amount of fat you're carrying.

I could deadlift a little more at 245 than I can now at 200.  But I actually squat more now.  On the other hand I dropped down to about 185 while running a lot and there's no way I could squat then what I do now.  So...lots of variables there.

If I had to bet on a single set of reasons for your experience, I'd say you lost a mix of LBM and fat, and you felt weaker because you were.  As your weight came back up, some LBM returned, and your general recovery made you feel healthier overall and the increase of LBM made you feel stronger because again, you were.

You could probably cut body fat without making yourself feel weak if that's what your goal was, thereby feeling equally strong at a lower weight, but you'd have to lift while dieting to do so (and it would have to be something you cared to do, which is a totally personal decision of course).
Support 12-5

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 01:37:49 AM »
It's not about carbs. Carbs and protein are both necessary. As are fats, sugars, and salt. In moderation.

It's about moderation in everything, and exercise on top of that.

Eat less of everything in general, eat smaller portions, eat more frequently, stop mindlessly snacking, reduce junk food to an absolute minimum, eat more fruits and vegetables, and exercise. Yoga, walking, cycling, treadmilling, jogging, hiking, weightlifting, swimming, whatever gets you moving and burns calories.

Liquid calories are sneaky. Pop, coffee, tea, juice, beer, milk, etc. They add up.
Most people don't consider them, because drinking isn't eating, right? Wrong. Your metabolism doesn't care.

Drink lots of water, and jazz it up with some zero-cal flavouring if you have to, in order to get it down. Water can be boring.

If you feel hungry between meals, drink another glass of water and go get busy with something else.

I lost 34 lbs following that basic outline. 200lbs  --> 166 Lbs.  And to be honest, I didn't do a lot of exercise.

2 lbs per week is plenty, if you lose more than that, you're getting into Yo-Yo territory, and your body will perceive it's entering a period of famine, and will do anything to maintain or gain weight.

You have to lose it slowly, just as you gained it slowly. Quick fixes rarely last.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline marc11

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 05:56:16 AM »
It's not about carbs. Carbs and protein are both necessary. As are fats, sugars, and salt. In moderation.

It's about moderation in everything, and exercise on top of that.

Eat less of everything in general, eat smaller portions, eat more frequently, stop mindlessly snacking, reduce junk food to an absolute minimum, eat more fruits and vegetables, and exercise. Yoga, walking, cycling, treadmilling, jogging, hiking, weightlifting, swimming, whatever gets you moving and burns calories.

Liquid calories are sneaky. Pop, coffee, tea, juice, beer, milk, etc. They add up.
Most people don't consider them, because drinking isn't eating, right? Wrong. Your metabolism doesn't care.

Drink lots of water, and jazz it up with some zero-cal flavouring if you have to, in order to get it down. Water can be boring.

If you feel hungry between meals, drink another glass of water and go get busy with something else.

I lost 34 lbs following that basic outline. 200lbs  --> 166 Lbs.  And to be honest, I didn't do a lot of exercise.

2 lbs per week is plenty, if you lose more than that, you're getting into Yo-Yo territory, and your body will perceive it's entering a period of famine, and will do anything to maintain or gain weight.

You have to lose it slowly, just as you gained it slowly. Quick fixes rarely last.

Coffee is fine. Actually coffee has lots of weight loss benefits such as appetite surrpression. Its the whole milk, cream and sugar people put in coffee that gets you. Two packets of sugar and one tablespoon of half and half adds 80 cals or more.  That dunkin or Starbucks pumpkin spice coffee seems harmless until you learn a medium size has 160 calories before you add milk or sugar.

Black coffee is great just 2 calories or a dash of skim milk only 10 calories. Yeah it takes adjustment to go from light and sweet to black but once you do you'd be surprised how much you will dislike sweet drinks after awhile.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 06:30:47 AM »
Most people I hang with get the XL Double-Double at Tim's, so drinking that isn't free for the old waistline.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline marc11

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 07:05:37 AM »
Most people I hang with get the XL Double-Double at Tim's, so drinking that isn't free for the old waistline.

Its amazing what you can see people drink with zero idea how many calories and how much sugar they are consuming. I saw a man let his son order an extra large coffee coolatta with extra whipped cream and a Boston cream donut at DD one morning. The kid could not have been more than 12 years old and already well over weight. That little snack was over 1000 calories about 50 percent of what that kid should be eating for the day.

When it comes to drinks and small snacks most people are clueless they think it's low cal for some reason.  Hell a few MMs pack a punch of calories.

As I said before you certainly can eat and drink these things if you want and lose weight if you track it and sacrifice in other areas to keep your total calories Ina decefit.

But man, I couldn't see drinking some latte with whipped cream at 7 am and then not having another spec of substantial food until dinner time.

Me I eat 100 to 200 calorie snacks/meals throughout he day with lunch and dinner being about 500 to 600 calories. Every two hours or so ensuring they are high in fiber and protein. I stay in my calorie and macro nutrient goals and am never hungry.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 07:13:59 AM »
What makes my chuckle (internally) are the obese people who order the Triple-Mega-Onion-Bacon-Mushroom-Cheesy-Melt Burger, the Giga-Sized Poutine, and a DIET PEPSI.

Like THAT'S gonna help, sheesh.

Although I don't follow this advice, I once read a funny (but likely mostly true) posting on FB that basically said: "If you wanna lose weight, and be healthy, don't eat any food that has a website".
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline marc11

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 07:16:07 AM »
"If you wanna lose weight, and be healthy, don't eat any food that has a website".

Lol lol.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 07:34:53 AM »
That just about leaves lettuce!

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »
I am using "Lose it" and so far it is working.  I need to do some research on the ratio of protein, carbs, and fats.  It seems lose it has a skewed scale on that.  I have also read "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren but need to re-read it and start doing some of the exercises.  I travel a lot and most hotels don't have full/good gyms so if I can be my own gym then it is everywhere that I go (so that can no longer be an excuse).

I started Lose it I think back in July and at the end of last year I lost 21lbs. This year I am shooting for another 40lbs.  Some of this was cutting out beer and limiting pizza and some was due to cycling and using the elliptical machines in the hotels and drinking about a gallon of water a day.

What I would like to find out is what ratio should there be for protein, carbs, and fats along with how much fiber should one eat.

Marc11 you mentioned a book but didn't give a title, can you provide the title?

Offline marc11

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 09:29:54 AM »
A ratio is 40/30/30. Check out www.a workout routine.com. his book is my bible. I will say I researched the hell out of his claims and routines and it all checked out....my own results further proved it.

While most hotels lack full gyms you can get a decent workout in if you adjust your reps and sets and know a lot of exercises. Any workout is better than no workout IMHO.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »
What makes my chuckle (internally) are the obese people who order the Triple-Mega-Onion-Bacon-Mushroom-Cheesy-Melt Burger, the Giga-Sized Poutine, and a DIET PEPSI.

Like THAT'S gonna help, sheesh.

I used to see that all the time when I worked fast food in college.  My personal favorite was when I worked at Steak 'n Shake, where it's an option to add chocolate syrup to your drink.  People would put that in the caffeine-free diet coke. :facepalm:
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »
Think how much fatter they would be had they opted for the 64+ ounce regular soda.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »
Think how much fatter they would be had they opted for the 64+ ounce regular soda.

Gotta start somewhere.  8)

-

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 10:12:31 PM »
Yall sure are fat.  ;D

But you're ugly and I can eat less and exercise more. :D

Carl

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 06:28:33 AM »
I started getting serious right after Christmas.  Downloaded the MyFitness app on all my e-devices to help me keep track of the intake and exercise.  I totally gave up the sodas and switched to water.  Still do one cuppa coffee a day, but all the extras went bye-bye.  It's working quite well!

This semester, I am taking a yoga class and hitting the fitness center three days a week.  Fun times!
--Tom

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 07:54:32 PM »
197 for me, 110 for the wife. We started hitting the bowflex and stair climber more seriously last monday. Feeling good!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

-

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
Was 282.  Now 275.

Offline marc11

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
197 for me, 110 for the wife. We started hitting the bowflex and stair climber more seriously last monday. Feeling good!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Keep it up!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »
Was 282.  Now 275.

What happened? You took a shit?!  :lol:  Just kidding! Good job! Congrats!

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »

So at the end of Week One I've lost 2 pounds owing to modest change in diet and substantial change in exercise.  I don't drink sodas, eat candy or 'junk' food anyway; I've dropped beer from the regimen and enjoy a glass of wine with meals about twice a week.  My usual late hearty breakfast at the diner has been traded off for an early one of just a banana, 3.5 ounces of yogurt, a slice of toast with margarine and coffee. For lunch (which I normally skipped in favor of a big dinner) I get by with a salad or soup with 1/2 a sandwich.  At dinner I've gotten more conscious about what to eat and then eat only half - the rest is take home for another day.

I've gotten a lot more active - each day Rue & I alternate between the gym and the local swim center.  We're talking about adding bowling to our routine.  :)  Then when Tammy gets home from work each day, as long as it's not freezing cold or raining we take our usual long walk around the neighborhood.   So far so good.