Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GPS device?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
New GPS device?
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »
Has anyone seen this device? It is a motorcycle specific, very simple, basic GPS. It has an arrow and distance designator only. I'm curious as to your thoughts. It looks rather interesting and simple. I can't see it be a standalone, but it could be a great addition besides a GPS.
https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-moto
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
Re: New GPS device?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 09:34:28 AM »
It's coming to the states now? Last I looked at this it wasn't. I like the idea of simple UI. It's something I struggle with on a daily basis at work. It's hard to decide what and how much info to show to make a UI usable and still keep it simple so people don't get fatigued and give up. My problem with GPSing in general is that cell phones are great at it... until you ride where there's no signal, which I do a lot in summer especially. And GPS units are just kind of stupid expensive if you want weather-resistant. This could definitely bridge the gap for riders who can't drop $800 on a weather friendly motorcycle GPS and a super cheap car gps.
this signature on hold pending review

Online vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »
Doesn't appear to be a stand alone, linked via phone app. Easy on the eyes though.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »
If linked to a phone app, then its good for covered areas, but not for any dead spots(as nearby as the valley in WVa where the radio telescopes are) or in many parts of the southwest in the boonies, where I seem to gravitate. I do like the idea, now if they would link it to a sat as a stand alone....
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »
It's coming to the states now? Last I looked at this it wasn't. I like the idea of simple UI. It's something I struggle with on a daily basis at work. It's hard to decide what and how much info to show to make a UI usable and still keep it simple so people don't get fatigued and give up. My problem with GPSing in general is that cell phones are great at it... until you ride where there's no signal, which I do a lot in summer especially. And GPS units are just kind of stupid expensive if you want weather-resistant. This could definitely bridge the gap for riders who can't drop $800 on a weather friendly motorcycle GPS and a super cheap car gps.

This one is a little too simple for me and it's the urban problem rather than the no coverage/rural one. When those signals start bouncing around the buildings and your position gets a bit off, you need more info than just an arrow. More than once, my phone and my Garmin have put me on the wrong street and told me to take a turn based on that, but I can look at the map and say, "Nope. You don't know where I am." If all I had was an arrow and distance, I'd be hosed.
A man with no sig

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 10:48:07 AM »
If linked to a phone app, then its good for covered areas, but not for any dead spots(as nearby as the valley in WVa where the radio telescopes are) or in many parts of the southwest in the boonies, where I seem to gravitate. I do like the idea, now if they would link it to a sat as a stand alone....
That depends if it uses the phones GPS (ala location) function or the apps map and data feed.
From the link;  "Once you’ve set up your route, no data connection is required meaning you can ride off the grid"
The make or break function for me it seems to be missing is an audio notification that a turn is coming up.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 11:31:38 AM »
I like it. Might be good with the phone sending you verbal cues and this just to keep you updated.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 01:37:06 PM »
I think it would be good for rural areas and big highways.

Not sure if I would feel comfortable with it in urban areas, where the exit ramp might split into 2 or 3 directions, or at a 5-point intersection, or maybe a roundabout with many feeders.

In those situations, I want a stronger visual reference and confirmation.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
That depends if it uses the phones GPS (ala location) function or the apps map and data feed.
From the link;  "Once you’ve set up your route, no data connection is required meaning you can ride off the grid"
The make or break function for me it seems to be missing is an audio notification that a turn is coming up.
  Oh yeah , thats a deal buster, having constantly look at the arrow
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 02:50:08 PM »

Good to know--I stand corrected; however, can't guarantee it will work on mainland China--deal breaker..lol  Actually like it kinda like reading an electronic enduro roll chart, and going from point A to point B mode would let you do a little exploring.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 02:54:53 PM »
When you're SENA goes - literally - up in flames, and you live without audio for a while 'cause you're too broke to replace it, it's funny how quickly you can readjust back to caveman times of not having bluetooth audio.

Sissies.  :razz:

Offline Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 08:24:53 PM »
When you're SENA goes - literally - up in flames, and you live without audio for a while 'cause you're too broke to replace it, it's funny how quickly you can readjust back to caveman times of not having bluetooth audio.

Sissies.  :razz:

This sort of.  Sometimes I turn GPS audio off because it interrupts the flow of my music, other times I turn it off because it cuts in on our conversation, whatever the reason it's generally off.  As long as I look ahead, all I need to do is remember the very next turn.

Which I occasionally miss.   Yeah, audible prompt is a nice option to have.
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »
There are a couple things I love about it- as a second device.  Like the ability to simply use toi to fiund my way "home" when wandering- or as an easy navigation aid. 

I am tempted to pull the trigger just to try it out.
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 01:55:52 AM »
There are a couple things I love about it- as a second device.  Like the ability to simply use toi to fiund my way "home" when wandering- or as an easy navigation aid. 

I ordered one last Fall.   I have seen the bicycle version and at least in that format and environment they seem to work well.   The Moto version is supposed to start shipping early April.    I have a week long dual sport ride planned at the end of April so if it arrives in time I'll give a report.    In my case it will be an additional nav device to complement a rally style roll chart and an old Garmin GPS.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 06:08:52 AM »

:bigok:

That's my favorite use for GPS; keep me righted once I wander.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »
Meh! I'd prefer an HUD GPS device instead of a bike mounted one.
And voice directions are definitively a plus even though I hate being interrupted while having a conversation with riding partners.
Maybe AI would be required? You know, intelligent enough to know that when my wife speaks, not to interrupt? Or ask for permission to speak?
At least understand what shut the fuck up means.  :lol:
Ride safe!

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 12:36:23 PM »

I ordered one last Fall.   I have seen the bicycle version and at least in that format and environment they seem to work well.   The Moto version is supposed to start shipping early April.    I have a week long dual sport ride planned at the end of April so if it arrives in time I'll give a report.    In my case it will be an additional nav device to complement a rally style roll chart and an old Garmin GPS.

Sweet! Looking forward to that.
A man with no sig

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 02:22:31 PM »
I made a post about this a while back and I think it looks like an affordable winner for folks. I think it may be more helpful to the urban rider then say a long distance rider.  Please post up your thoughts and experiences with is when you get yours Lee.

http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=5761.0

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 03:39:27 PM »

I will totally await your report!
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »
My problem with GPSing in general is that cell phones are great at it... until you ride where there's no signal, which I do a lot in summer especially. And GPS units are just kind of stupid expensive if you want weather-resistant. This could definitely bridge the gap for riders who can't drop $800 on a weather friendly motorcycle GPS and a super cheap car gps.

Can't you just download sections of Google Maps to your phone? I seem to remember having that ability, although I don't recall using it.

I've bought lower end Garmin units and just put a ziplock bag over them and closed it with a rubber band when raining. Yeah you can't really make any inputs that way, but you can see the screen and hear the audio. Seemed to work for me, but it's not ideal

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 05:34:27 PM »
My problem with GPSing in general is that cell phones are great at it... until you ride where there's no signal, which I do a lot in summer especially. And GPS units are just kind of stupid expensive if you want weather-resistant. This could definitely bridge the gap for riders who can't drop $800 on a weather friendly motorcycle GPS and a super cheap car gps.

Can't you just download sections of Google Maps to your phone? I seem to remember having that ability, although I don't recall using it.

That works as long as you can keep the phone awake and screened-on, and don't switch out of the app. If it goes to sleep, or you move out of the maps app, and you're in a no-signal area and switch back, it want's to call home to recenter, refresh routing (if you're currently routing), etc. :(

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 05:48:01 PM »

That works as long as you can keep the phone awake and screened-on, and don't switch out of the app. If it goes to sleep, or you move out of the maps app, and you're in a no-signal area and switch back, it want's to call home to recenter, refresh routing (if you're currently routing), etc. :(

Interesting. I know you're an Apple guy, but Android allows me to keep Google Maps routing open at all times. If I go to another app, I can downsize it to a small window that stays on top of other apps. I can move the smaller window around on the screen as necessary while in the another app. Plus the phone doesn't go to sleep while routing.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 08:37:05 AM »
Similar with Apple maps on iPhone, not (always) so with Google Maps on iPhone - which is a considerably better product in the routing and mapping data.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 10:17:02 AM »
I guess either way you run the risk of closing the app and having to reconnect.

Offline Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 09:01:35 PM »

Try maps.me or mapswithme  (Andriod/Apple) 
100% works offline with your phones GPS. 
You can download states or entire countries.

You can plot routes ahead of time on Google maps and export them.
or mark waypoints on your phone and import them to Google or your GPS.

Best $2.95 I ever spent, but it's been free download for years.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 09:54:36 PM »
Nice! Gonna snag that. Thanks, Frank.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 12:29:02 PM »
I'll check it out.

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »
I've given up on maps.me. It was my go-to maps app for a long time.
I love the fact you can use a phone or tablet off-line and move using the gps chip to update your location.
Unfortunately, you need to re-download the whole map thing regularly and download is slow.
The maps expire regularly and you have to redo the whole thing. You can't use what you have.
Also selecting the specific areas you want is clunky. You need to use pre-defined areas, sometimes large, sometimes multiples sub-maps.
Map definition is poor at best unless you scroll down to a very small area.

I had the whole Alpine region of northern Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Germany loaded to my Android tablet just before my trip last year to the area.
When I got to Italy, a few days later, the maps had expired and I had to re-download again.  :rave: :mad: :baldy:
This isn't the first time this happened and I just gave up. I use google maps off-line.

With Off-line maps in google maps, they work just as well and they're good for a whole year. Just select the area you want, and go.
The only issue with google maps off-line is you're limited to the size of the area you want. If you want a region, you need to download multiple maps.
Or work online. I now have some data while in the EU.

I now only use that while visiting a city or something.

At least with a real GPS you can still use it even if the maps aren't up to date.
Ride safe!

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »
I love the fact you can use a phone or tablet off-line and move using the gps chip to update your location.
Unfortunately, you need to re-download the whole map thing regularly and download is slow.
The maps expire regularly and you have to redo the whole thing. You can't use what you have.
Also selecting the specific areas you want is clunky. You need to use pre-defined areas, sometimes large, sometimes multiples sub-maps.

I had the whole Alpine region of northern Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Germany loaded to my Android tablet just before my trip last year to the area.
When I got to Italy, a few days later, the maps had expired and I had to re-download again.  :rave: :mad: :baldy:
This isn't the first time this happened and I just gave up. I use google maps off-line.

With Off-line maps in google maps, they work just as well and they're good for a whole year. Just select the area you want, and go.
The only issue with google maps off-line is you're limited to the size of the area you want. If you want a region, you need to download multiple maps.

At least with a real GPS you can still use it even if the maps aren't up to date.

Yeah. A real GPS remains the best way to go.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »
As long as you have the Google map segment downloaded. You can close the app, and reopen it without issue.  No network needed.

Offline Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »

Interesting.  I use it on android phone and iPad.   Never had a map expire.  Pleaze don't tell me that nonesense is going to start.

We're going to the Dolomites later this year, so I sure hope that doesn't happen.  I just opened maps for Bulgaria and Namibia which haven;t been updated since last year with no trouble, even though it says they and 41 other maps need to be updated. 

I use my Garmin GPS for driving, unless there's one in the car and we can figure it out.   Most times there's no manual.  The Opel we had in Germany last year was a breeze to use.  (And the routing was better than my Garmin in side by side testing)  We never did figure out the Mitsubushi even with an English manual. 

Mostly use maps.me for walking in cities; it has a nice option for that.   It's also good when you're off road or on a train.  It doesn't constantly try to place you on the nearest road like my Garmin.  Two Biggest complaints I have is it eats battery life, and the compass is wonky, and I suspect that is a function of my phone.  It constantly points east or west while I'm walking north or south, so I turn off the audio prompt and follow the map intuitively.   while I use it sometimes for local driving, it wouldn't be my first choice for a road trip.

Whatever works for you.   

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 07:47:32 PM »

Interesting.  I use it on android phone and iPad.   Never had a map expire.  Pleaze don't tell me that nonesense is going to start.

We're going to the Dolomites later this year, so I sure hope that doesn't happen.  I just opened maps for Bulgaria and Namibia which haven;t been updated since last year with no trouble, even though it says they and 41 other maps need to be updated. 

I use my Garmin GPS for driving, unless there's one in the car and we can figure it out.   Most times there's no manual.  The Opel we had in Germany last year was a breeze to use.  (And the routing was better than my Garmin in side by side testing)  We never did figure out the Mitsubushi even with an English manual. 

Mostly use maps.me for walking in cities; it has a nice option for that.   It's also good when you're off road or on a train.  It doesn't constantly try to place you on the nearest road like my Garmin.  Two Biggest complaints I have is it eats battery life, and the compass is wonky, and I suspect that is a function of my phone.  It constantly points east or west while I'm walking north or south, so I turn off the audio prompt and follow the map intuitively.   while I use it sometimes for local driving, it wouldn't be my first choice for a road trip.

Whatever works for you.
What I've figured is that the new map had something to do with app update or something.
I just had a cryptic message to reload the maps. A multi Gb download from hotel wifi.

But yeah, for city walking maps.me it will do, although google maps off-line does the same so why bother.

What I would like is a static map, in electronic version. Load that to my tablet as alternative source to a gps.
I once came across another rider who had that on an iPad. It was very detailed and easy to use, scroll, etc. I haven't seen anything like that for android.
Ride safe!

Offline Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 09:00:57 PM »
GPS - searching for direction - maybe the next new device will be the one...

Online leeo45

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 01:44:09 PM »

I will totally await your report!

I just received an email update from Beeline that production and shipping are delayed by another month.   It sounds like mid-May is the best case ship date so I won't have it in time for my dual sport trip.    :(   I'll add a post when it arrives and then follow up with my thoughts once I've had a chance to use it.

Online leeo45

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2019, 09:04:24 PM »
Just received notice of yet another delay on the Beeline Moto shipping.    Apparently the mounting straps they are getting from their vendor in China aren't holding up to testing.   Promised for early Spring, might see it in August.   I obviously didn't have it for my two week dual sport trip at the end of April.    Hopefully the electronics live up to the hype.

Offline Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2019, 07:07:09 PM »
Yeah. A real GPS remains the best way to go.

I'm with stupid ☺

I have a Garmin 395lm and I love it.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »
Just received notice of yet another delay on the Beeline Moto shipping.    Apparently the mounting straps they are getting from their vendor in China aren't holding up to testing.   Promised for early Spring, might see it in August.   I obviously didn't have it for my two week dual sport trip at the end of April.    Hopefully the electronics live up to the hype.

I'm looking forward towards you review of this as it's on my radar. Thanks for keeping us posted with updates.

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Trophy 1200, '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2019, 08:49:43 PM »
NEWS FLASH!

GPS gets an overhaul.

It's too difficult for some, so let's dumb-it-down!

https://what3words.com/

Yep!  Let's simplify GPS to three words separated by dots.
IBA: 63413

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2019, 09:33:41 PM »
NEWS FLASH!

GPS gets an overhaul.

It's too difficult for some, so let's dumb-it-down!

https://what3words.com/

Yep!  Let's simplify GPS to three words separated by dots.

I.am.lost   

is just outside Detroit
Nope not where I thought I would be found
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe