Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WSBK 2019 ** SPOILERS **  (Read 983 times)

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
WSBK 2019 ** SPOILERS **
« on: February 19, 2019, 05:41:08 AM »
First round at Philip Island is this weekend. Alvaro Bautista is looking very strong on the new Ducati. It seems that Rea is going have to serious challengers this season. All three Yamahas are solid (Melandri, Lowes, VDM). Even Sykes is showing good form on the BMW with very little track time on the bike so far.

Plus, 2019 now has a three race format. A sprint has been added to Sunday that is worth half the points of a full race. Those could be interesting with no worries about tire management. Just turn and burn.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:56:23 AM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline motodog650

• Pissed-off bloody wanker
  • Motorcycles: '03 SV650 / '07 DR-Z400S / '83 & '84 Nighthawks
Re: WSBK 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 03:05:05 PM »
PI usually throws out a few surprises. Something about that track (BALLS  :wow: ) that makes things more unpredictable. Gonna be interesting to see if anyone can run with Rea after PI (hope so). 

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
Re: WSBK 2019 ** SPOILERS **
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 06:24:15 AM »
Well that was a dominating display of speed this weekend. It appears there is going to be some close racing at the sharp end this season. The sprint race was interesting with no cares about tire life.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso, a few Yamahas, a BMW GS, and all subject to change!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
Is Bautista's Ducati different from Davies and Laverty's bike? Has Bautista found something to standout in WSBK? Or is the new Ducati just that much faster than the rest?

Yes, my Google-fu is lazy today.   :)

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »
Having just come from MotoGP, I think he's just used to going that fast.  ;D
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »
Same bike as Davies for sure. To be honest, as impressive a debut as that was, I hope there are regular 5-way battles for the win/podium.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso, a few Yamahas, a BMW GS, and all subject to change!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 07:07:56 PM »
Same bike as Davies for sure. To be honest, as impressive a debut as that was, I hope there are regular 5-way battles for the win/podium.

Thanks, I thought so. I agree about the regular 5 way battles.

Offline motodog650

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »
Davies is not back to 100% from off season injury. Laverty isn't on full factory kit. Impressive showing no doubt by Bautista but Rea will be the man to beat in Thailand.

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »
Having just come from MotoGP, I think he's just used to going that fast.  ;D

This. Alvy was no slouch in MotoGP. He's on a very familiar machine. It'll be interesting to see how he does on the tighter circuits.
Torque is cheap.

Offline motociclista

• EOE Cup MotoGP champ, 2013, 2017, co-champion 2018
    • The Ride So Far
  • Motorcycles: Don't mind if I do. I love those things!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 08:37:48 PM »
Is Bautista's Ducati different from Davies and Laverty's bike? Has Bautista found something to standout in WSBK? Or is the new Ducati just that much faster than the rest?

Bautista and Davies are on the same bike but Davies is not 100 percent, as Motodog also noted. The other two Ducatis use different brakes and suspension, for whatever that's worth.

I've already gone on record as saying it's too early to call off the season, hold the banquet and hand Bautista the trophy, for all these reasons: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/world-superbike-why-bautistas-triple-may-not-mean-what-you-think
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »
Does Chang count as a tight circuit?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 03:27:50 PM »

Not in my view. Bautista on the Ducati was faster on the three straights on that track.
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 05:34:38 PM »

Not in my view. Bautista on the Ducati was faster on the three straights on that track.

So returning to Europe will be his downfall.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 06:37:21 PM »

So returning to Europe will be his downfall.

Perhaps not. We'll see. But the power advantage the Ducati has won't be as big a factor. Rea was a sitting duck on the straights (0.2 - 0.3 a lap). The Duc is a monster. I guess there is the chance that "concessions" (RPM limits) could be applied to the Ducati like they were to the Kawasaki if they continue to dominate. I personally don't like messing with the rule book once the season starts, but WSBK is all about the show.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 11:16:52 AM »
Things are getting interesting as they approach the summer break...
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 07:16:46 PM »

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 06:07:01 PM »
Idle musings:

If, after the first four rounds, you had approached a London bookie and said, "I'll bet you that after Laguna Seca Alvaro Bautista will be 81 points behind," what odds do you suppose you could have gotten?

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »
Idle musings:

If, after the first four rounds, you had approached a London bookie and said, "I'll bet you that after Laguna Seca Alvaro Bautista will be 81 points behind," what odds do you suppose you could have gotten?

It's been a pretty crazy change of fortunes for sure. Consistency wins championships. It will be interesting to see if Chaz comes back super strong after the summer break like he did a couple years ago when he won 7 of 8 races or something like that.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 08:07:50 AM »
Idle musings:

Revised:

If, after the first four rounds, you had approached a London bookie and said, "I'll bet you that Rea not only wins the title but wraps it up two rounds early," what odds do you suppose you could have gotten?

Sure, he got some help from Razgatlıoğlu, but that just changed the timing, not the outcome.

Speaking of Razgatlıoğlu, right up until his crash in race two, it was great fun watching him this weekend. You see it regularly. A young and rising rider gets that breakthrough win and it all clicks and suddenly he's on a new plane. We saw it in MotoAmerica this year with Garrett Gerloff. After his win at Laguna Seca, he was the fastest guy on the track in most sessions thereafter the rest of the season. Razgatlıoğlu has been coming on for some time and I wonder if we'll see another win or two from him in the last two rounds.

Offline motodog650

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 12:18:16 PM »
Speaking of Garrett Gerloff, he was at Magny Cours hanging out in the paddock. Supposedly Ben Spies is helping to try and secure a seat on one of the WSBK Yamaha teams for him. Garrett has made it no secret that he is keen on getting overseas asap and not waiting around for an opportunity to come to him. Hoping he gets something worked out for 2020 in WSBK...   

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »
Speaking of Garrett Gerloff, he was at Magny Cours hanging out in the paddock. Supposedly Ben Spies is helping to try and secure a seat on one of the WSBK Yamaha teams for him. Garrett has made it no secret that he is keen on getting overseas asap and not waiting around for an opportunity to come to him. Hoping he gets something worked out for 2020 in WSBK...

Toprak just took Alex Lowes seat in Pata. Melandri's seat is open. Don't know what Cortese's situation is across that garage. Lots to be decided soon. It will be interesting to see who lands where.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline motodog650

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 12:49:06 PM »
Toprak just took Alex Lowes seat in Pata. Melandri's seat is open. Don't know what Cortese's situation is across that garage. Lots to be decided soon. It will be interesting to see who lands where.

Speedweek Magazine (Germany) suggesting Gerloff will take Cortese's place at GRTY Yamaha. Interesting indeed...