Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Battery Lantern  (Read 575 times)

Offline Wesley

• Motorcycles: Yes
Battery Lantern
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:31:59 AM »
I had a power outage last night due to freezing rain and realized my need to upgrade to a more reliable battery lantern. 

What I have:  20 year old Coleman battery lantern, requiring 6 D-batteries, and (2) 6" fluorescent tubes.  Anytime it is moved/carried, things are loose/broken and lots of flickering occurs.

What I'm looking for:  Something used for outages and camping.  Something that doesn't require lots of batteries or suck battery.  Reliable and gives good light.  Size doesn't matter.

I'm guessing there are LED options to be had?  Light and battery technology has changed a lot in the last 20 years, so I'm looking to the masses for a place to start.  What would you recommend?

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
Re: Battery Lantern
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
I have two of these.  Awesome light output for not too much battery drain and use rechargeable batteries with a couple sets of spares.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-Portable-Collapsible-COB-LED-Camping-Lantern-350-lm-w-Magnets-Silver/312152240322?hash=item48adb930c2:g:fdIAAOSwAEFcGwiQ
--Tom

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:59:49 AM »
For power outages, I have a couple of old-fashioned oil lamps (with adjustable wicks).  I keep at least one bottle of oil on hand.
For flashlight; I have an LED, dual switch tactical light.  It has an 18650 batt and the flashlight has a USB port to charge it.  But I realized I'd want a spare, so bought another 18650 and a charger for it (the charger will work with most rechargeable batts).  The dual switch allows changing the 'mode' / brightness w/o cycling thru on/off AND allows turning it off/on at a given brightness.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
For power outages, I have a couple of old-fashioned oil lamps (with adjustable wicks).  I keep at least one bottle of oil on hand.
For flashlight; I have an LED, dual switch tactical light.  It has an 18650 batt and the flashlight has a USB port to charge it.  But I realized I'd want a spare, so bought another 18650 and a charger for it (the charger will work with most rechargeable batts).  The dual switch allows changing the 'mode' / brightness w/o cycling thru on/off AND allows turning it off/on at a given brightness.

very similar here but I also have candlesticks.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 01:26:40 PM »
I camp with an older version of one of these LED Lanterns

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5039-035/Orbit-LED-Lantern

collapsible, uses regular batteries, dimmable. Highly recommended. I'd also recommend an old fashioned oil lamp.  Doesn't need electricity, a fill of oil last ages and ages, provides heat as well, tons of light.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »
I keep a Goal Zero power pack recharging by solar power for my laptop and phones so there's no work stoppage. I also have some LED lights that daisy chain on it. The few times I've had to use it, it has worked grand.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:58:55 PM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline Wesley

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Looks like I have some good stuff to start looking at more closely.

Offline Wesley

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 05:30:24 AM »
I have two of these.  Awesome light output for not too much battery drain and use rechargeable batteries with a couple sets of spares.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-Portable-Collapsible-COB-LED-Camping-Lantern-350-lm-w-Magnets-Silver/312152240322?hash=item48adb930c2:g:fdIAAOSwAEFcGwiQ

I went with these.  Lightweight and super bright.  I'm impressed.  These will be excellent for camping and/or power outages.

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 07:02:21 AM »

I went with these.  Lightweight and super bright.  I'm impressed.  These will be excellent for camping and/or power outages.

Those look exactly like the ones we bought at Costco in Fall. Prolly made in China somewhere. They work, bright for sure, but I suspect the battery life isn't the best.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 08:01:55 AM »

Those look exactly like the ones we bought at Costco in Fall. Prolly made in China somewhere. They work, bright for sure, but I suspect the battery life isn't the best.

We've been using one of these (clone style of course) for camp kitchen lighting for 2 years now without changing the batteries once. Probably time this year though.
LT

Great googly-moogly!

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 08:23:31 PM »

Yep, they sure look like the ones I bought at Costco as well. Well worth the $$$
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe