Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Route planning for Nuvi in 2019  (Read 529 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
Route planning for Nuvi in 2019
« on: January 25, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »
I caught a (great) deal on a barely used F800ST low late last year.  I'm eager to do some real ST'ing on it!
I've been collecting destinations to ride to (of varying distances).  The next step is planning routes and making .gpx files to transfer to my Nuvi.
I used kurviger.de/en a LOT last year for local routes.  But it's not the tool for this job.
So I went back to what I used to plan routes / make .gpx's before Kurviger; Furkot.com.  Thankfully my login is cached.
The route planning and .gpx export went well.   I'll be taking interstate to cover distance and taking state/cty highways to go around cities if anywhere near rush hour.
The first step of transferring a Furkot .gpx to my nuvi is editing the .gpx (w/ notepad) to change the name of the route as Nuvi uses it to import and select/activate routes.  This isn't the name of the file.   OMFG!!  There are PAGES of gpxxx tags!!! The route is there as wpts, rtepts (which the nuvi uses) and gpxx rtps.  The file is HUGE!!   A route that would be 2-3 KBs, is almost 200 KB!!!
drop back to punt...  go thru my notes on what I've used to make .gpx files in the past;
I tried, and got;
  RideWithGPS     doesn’t have names for the  pts I put in.     the .gpx file has rtepts for all the turns, w/ a name and cmnt for ea.  The nuvi doesn't need a retpt for ea turn - it makes the file bigger than it needs to be.
  MapMyRide   the .gpx file is just trackpts!!  Nuvi needs rtepts
  tripplanner.honda.com   can't find my login   I'll re-register if I can't find something else
  motogoloco      pretty clean gpx    ea pt has a name & desc  tags   I del'd the desc's and made the names more informative

BTW; I'm doing this on Win 7 Pro PC w/ chrome browser.
I've used  maps.harley-davidson.com/map/create  sometime in the past.  I don't know if it still works.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
Re: Route planning for Nuvi in 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 08:44:55 AM »
Update

MotoGoLoco is no longer functioning
This site says (in part);
Important Notice
Sadly, due to changes with Google Maps the MotoGoLoco Mapping Service has been temporarily disabled.

You can be assured we are working tirelessly to get the system live as soon as possible.

Google changed their pricing structure in the middle of 2018. We had a strategy in place. However, even this ended up not being acceptable to Google.

Google, the commercial Megalith ...  decided to impose punitive charges on the use of their map API.

We are investigating redesigning the tech aspects of MotoGoLoco to see if we can reduce the pure  “Google” aspect as much as possible.  Once we have done this we will work out the new true cost and may have to build in some form of premium charge for access to various parts of the route builder.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 10:26:50 AM »
Yeah, GPS route planning s~cks.

I don't know if this will help you because I clearly don't understand your specific problem.

I now do all my planning in Google maps.  I put a waypoint at or near each intersection that requires a turn, and in the middle of a long stretch of backroad that GPS might try to avoid. 

I export the waypoints and convert them to gpx files using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

I realize this is a PITA as it requires learning whole new process, but it has been working well for me.

For example, here is map I made last year Ohio STO August 2018 that I imported to my Garmin.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
HondaTripPlanner works
It makes nice, clean .gpx files, and even gives the route the same name as the file

2 annoyances though;
Every time you add a 'stop' (route point) it zooms out to show the whole trip.   So you have to zoom back in to add the next stop/route point.
It's kind of hit-or-miss on putting your stop/route points on the road

One tiny annoyance - it gives every stop/route point a name with the full address, including state and zip code.
I put my route points just before turns - as the Nuvi displays distance to next r.pt.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 10:38:54 AM »

I don't know if this will help you because I clearly don't understand your specific problem.

I realize this is a PITA as it requires learning whole new process, but it has been working well for me.

I'm just striving to find / use the simplest process that works for me.
I realize that wanting a 'clean' .gpx file so I can edit it (w/ notepad) might be an illogical habit.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 05:00:00 PM »
Or a Type A anal-retentive personality, but hey, what's wrong with raw edits?

Glad you seem to have found a solution that works for you.

There are similar issues with Google; particular annoyances are that waypoints on roads in Google end up being offroad in Garmin, and some foreign language characters aren't supported, and there ought to be a button to turn off auto-zoom in every app.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 07:21:07 AM »

I now do all my planning in Google maps.  I put a waypoint at or near each intersection that requires a turn, and in the middle of a long stretch of backroad that GPS might try to avoid. 

I export the waypoints and convert them to gpx files using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

For example, here is map I made last year Ohio STO August 2018 that I imported to my Garmin.

Okay... soo... how do you export the waypoints from google maps??