Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which Bike?  (Read 1917 times)

Online Patmo

• Motorcycles: 2007 FZ6, 2014 Ninja 650
Which Bike?
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:47:55 AM »
Oh No!  Not another what bike to buy thread!  :o    Nope!

the question is.....What Bike did you start your Sport-Touring addiction on?

For me it was a 1997 Honda Nighthawk 750.  Put on some soft luggage Eclipse P-38 bags (which I still have), a Bikini faring, and off I went!  Before that I was a rider, but I wasn't a traveler.   8)

How about a little trip down memory lane...….

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
Re: Which Bike?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:57:39 AM »
Probably my 96 CBR1000F. I had other bikes but that's the first one I really did a lot of bag strapping multi day trips on. After the CBR came a bike with hard luggage.

Did a couple camping over nighters on the Vulcan 750 but wouldn't call it sport touring by any stretch.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Cookie

• Contributor
  • You do not want me as moderator.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:23:40 AM »
Back when I was a tough guy I would ride my 1980 Shovelhead POS all over New England on Club camping trips.

Only needed to be repaired on the road most of the time and only came home in the back of a truck once.

Later in life, I bought an '88 Hurricane in the summer of '08 to see if still wanted to ride. In September, I picked up the Bandit and rode it until last March when it was sold to a mystery member from an undisclosed location.

Now my body is so broken, I ride the Bonneville and the Sportster but the farthest I go is the Cape for day trips.

Maybe there's a Wing in my future.
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 08:50:03 AM »
'95 Honda Magna after I came back to riding.

'76 CB750-A full dresser before my hiatus.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »

Maybe there's a Wing in my future.

If you have knee problems, avoid the 'Wing and most BMWs. The boxer(-style / flat 4/6) engines kind of lock your feet into predetermined positions, and without gyno-style, legs-up highway bars, you're not able to move your legs around much. Between my knee replacements (one in '14, one in '16), I was tooling around a while on a BMW R-RT (Dave / NearlySeventy's old bike) and while I really enjoyed most things about the bike, the inability to move my knees around made it horribly painful for any rides longer than an hour.

The 2015 meetup in Roanoke, I basically got off the bike, downed a half a bottle of advil and some bourbon, then just sat with my feet up a couple hours. Walking across the road to dinner was agony, but it was still better than getting back on the bike. I sold the bike within a couple weeks of getting home from that trip.

I have just gotten to the point where taller bikes and I just can't get along any more - what with my naturally stubby legs and new knees that feel great but will never be as strong as the OEM stuff. The Bonneville might just be the perfect bike for broken old bags of bones like you and me. It's a wonderful bike; I just wish they'd update it with properly-sized wheels that can take good radials. It's my one and only complaint about it. I put radials on mine, but being so down-sized on the rear, I had to go with a lighter load limit tire, and when it's really heated up and I'm in the mountains, you feel it flex a bit. :\

$.02/YMMV

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »
So long as my knees are at a decent forward position, they don't ache.
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:06:45 AM »
So long as my knees are at a decent forward position, they don't ache.

:thumbsup:

You're unlikely to find that on the 'Wing. To be fair, I haven't had any time on the newest revision, which looks ungodly good and includes a tonne of weight and heft shaving.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 10:32:30 AM »
the first bike I got more than a hundred miles from home on was a V45 Magna. I was just out of High school and some friends and I went to Sturgis. We did this trip for the next 6 or 8 years (when I moved to Rapid City).  a few years later I rode a Nighthawk S to Daytona for bike week. It's a long ways from here to there that time of year! But I didn't really get into "proper" sport touring until years later when I would take several trips a year on my CBR 954.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
1978  Yamaha XS750. I rode that thing everywhere year round.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online CLAY

• I'm a duck and I don't even know it.
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 07:52:28 PM »
'86 Honda SHadow sold me on the ST thing- I outrode it on nearly every corner.  I knew I needed more, hence the Bandit.  I've had her for 50,000 miles and 13 years.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Clay is a duck" -Cookie

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »
1978 Honda CB750F w/ clubman bars and a few other 'sportbike' oriented additions.   My first really long trip on that bike was Atlanta to Watkins Glen, NY for the F1 GP in 1980, then back home via Washington DC and the Outer Banks.   That trip also included my first 1,000+ mile day.  The bike had 40,000 miles on it when I sold it after I bought an '83 VF750 Interceptor.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
1978 GL1000, over a 100k on that bike. I would spend my summers traveling back in the late 80's. Saved up as much $$ as I could in the winter and took off work in the summer as long as the $$ lasted.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Slides

• Motorcycles: '13 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 12:14:10 PM »
'93 Seca II. She had been to a few STN events. Just sold it a couple years ago. The first year I had it I did the SNOT event, which was a pretty good trial by fire to sport riding.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
1983 BMW R80ST. Bought it with 6006 miles and sold it with 100,000+ 7 years later.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »
1979 KZ1000 Mk II

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 07:15:58 PM »
2002 Triumph Sprint RS bought new in early 2003 (new/leftover). I had it 3 seasons and did about 45K miles on it. Lots of great trips/memories on that bike.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 07:23:29 AM »
85 Yamaha FJ600. Just threw on a tank bag and some soft bags, and was good to go.

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 07:24:50 AM »
2004 WeeStrom for me.

Offline vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »
First long trip (1000+ miles) was at 15 on a 1970 Yamaha HT1 Enduro 90.  Bike ran flawlessly save for having to change plug everyday, and 1/2 the trip was 2 up. 

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »
First long trip (1000+ miles) was at 15 on a 1970 Yamaha HT1 Enduro 90.  Bike ran flawlessly save for having to change plug everyday, and 1/2 the trip was 2 up. 

Um, winner.
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:57 AM »
1981 Honda GL1100 resurrected from dead in 1992.  The PO got it "running" and I took it from there.  Got it home, tore it apart and cleaned 10 years of grime, rust and general neglect off it.  I only put 60k miles on it in 8 years, but it started the travel addiction. 

--Tom

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 11:40:12 AM »
1985 Kawasaki 440ltd,with a Vetter fairing and Bags. Literally crossed the US 2 times on this do all, great machine.People seem amazed by that now, trust me , it was more than up to the job.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »
1985 Kawasaki 440ltd,with a Vetter fairing and Bags. Literally crossed the US 2 times on this do all, great machine.People seem amazed by that now, trust me , it was more than up to the job.

I loved mine. Belt or chain drive?

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »
First real road trip was with my brother. We went roaming  around northern MI for a long weekend. I was on a 85 Kawasaki eliminator 900 with a Memphis shades bar mount screen and a duffle bag strapped to the back. After that I rented a soft tail classic in FL for three days. I loved the wind protection and bags but wanted something with better handling and brakes. Picked up a 96 GPZ1100 after getting home. I've been hooked ever since.

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:10 PM »

Belt , black with a red tank panel
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 02:50:40 PM »

Belt , black with a red tank panel

That's what mine was when I got it.
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »
I rode all over Ontario on this '80 900C, with duffel, for loooong weekends, photographing at dog shows.
Great bike, but hardly sporting.

Got serious with the '02 ZZ-R1200.
The Corbin bags were sufficient for two-up, multi day romps.
Still miss it.

There it is at STN 2006 in WV, left foreground.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow: any deviation has ramifications". - Internal Combustion, explained.

Online Patmo

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 05:59:15 PM »
Can’t believe that it’s been 12 (almost 13) years since that STN meet in WV!   :'(.  Where does the time go?  One of my most favorite trips ever.  A bunch of us rented a house just south of there and spent the whole week there.  Worked out to cost us each about 15.00 per night to stay there.  No TV and no AC, but we didn’t need them.  Had a great time.  By the way, that facility has been co pletely remodeled and updated since then.  Maybe time to go back.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 06:29:40 PM »
The day I took the motorcycle endorsement test I was headed for the mountains with a duffel bag bungied to the pillion of my 550 Nighthawk (my first streetbike) less than an hour after passing it. But it was the '90 K75 I bought in '96ish that made me a sport tourer.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:45:56 PM by coho »
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 06:38:02 PM »
Got serious with the '02 ZZ-R1200.
The Corbin bags were sufficient for two-up, multi day romps.
Still miss it.

I'll be in my bunk.

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 07:58:58 PM »
Ernst started it.  And he's still bringing it.  Last summer after climbing out of the Salmon River Canyon on US 95 in Idaho:

And a little later that day:

Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 12:58:46 AM »
Can’t believe that it’s been 12 (almost 13) years since that STN meet in WV!   :'(.  Where does the time go?  One of my most favorite trips ever.  A bunch of us rented a house just south of there and spent the whole week there.  Worked out to cost us each about 15.00 per night to stay there.  No TV and no AC, but we didn’t need them.  Had a great time.  By the way, that facility has been co pletely remodeled and updated since then.  Maybe time to go back.

I was there at the 06 STNN was a great time, took a week there and a week back, and where has the time gone.
Back then I had a ZX11D my first real sport tourer  :inlove: ended up giving the ZX to a good friend, who still rides it.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:52 AM »

Cool.

1984, I pulled out of work on a long weekend without a destination in mind. It was supposed to be a day trip. I want to say it was my CX650e, but its gotten hazy.  I ran north about a 100 miles. Bike felt happy, I was with it. Kept going. Spent the night at our camp 300 miles north.  The next morning, I was intent on riding back home.  I got to the highway, and I realized I'd never traveled a single foot past the turn to our camp.  It was a sunny Saturday morning. I turned the wrong way into the land of the all new on purpose.

12 hours later, I pulled into Thunder Bay over the north shore of Lake Superior.  I was hurtin. No windshield and a backpack for luggage.

The next morning I realized I'd have to do the entire way back to Toronto in one shot if I was to be at work Monday morning. Ya, not gonna happen. I called my boss and told him I wouldn't be in until Tuesday.  The funny part is, he didn't ask if I was sick, or if it was family issues.. he said "Where are you?" LOL.

Tuesday morning I was a seriously hurt unit. My forearms, my back.. I swore on all that's holy, I'd never ride that far ever again.

Flash forward to 2006.  Bought an FJR. Now, I rarely ride the bike unless I'm overnighting in a far off place... gofigger.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:59:17 AM by bungie4 »
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »

1970 Mach III I bought new from a HD.- Kawasaki dealer.

Next year in 1971 a trip up through Trois-Rivieres to Quebec City along the St. Lawrence river from Scranton, PA..
The old section of QC was great, everyone speaking French felt like I was in Europe. :lol:

No tent no luggage, a gym bag loaded with - a change of clothes, small pot, spoon, fork and a couple cans of stew from mom's pantry.
Sleeping bag wrapped in a piece of plastic used as ground cover or if raining a me cover. About $50.00 cash and away I went for four days.

I also remember making it home on fumes with zero money.  :bigok:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »
Was that HD-Kawaski dealer by any chance Hannum's?

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »
Much as I hated it, the first bike I used for touring was my dreadful 1978 Yamaha XS250. I took it all over the place, even if it did run out of wind on hills. And handled like a dog.

After that, perhaps a bit more "sport" was my 1964 Norton Atlas. Rode that all over, too. Then a XS1100.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 02:57:17 PM »

1970 Mach III I bought new from a HD.- Kawasaki dealer.

World's Fastest Unicycle, at that moment.  :burnout:
Bet you can still feel it in your fingers...
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow: any deviation has ramifications". - Internal Combustion, explained.

Offline Chips

• Motorcycles: Thruxton R, FJR1300a and a couple others
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2019, 02:03:42 PM »
1982 Yamaha Seca 750. Like many others, I bungied a gym bag to the passenger seat with everything I needed for a week and a small tankbag for wallet, helmet cleaner etc.

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 07:35:25 AM »

I'll never forget my friend's foray in touring with his 440LTD, don't remember the year, prob a little bit older than that. He was kind of like a mechanic's apprentice at the local Kawasaki dealer. He bought the 440LTD from them used, real cheap, did a little work on it himself to get it running right. We went to Boston for the weekend about a week later for a motorcycle show. I had my FJ600 then. We got into Boston looking for the venue and the LTD died. Had it towed to the local Kawi dealer, even though the tow truck didn't recognize my roadside assistance (even though they dispatched him). I don't remember the part, but it was an inexpensive repair.

The next day heading home on the Mass pike with me in the lead, he pulls over to the shoulder. I turn around and catch up, he says I'm going too fast. So I let him lead. A couple more miles down the pike, the LTD lets out a big puff of white smoke and dies. We kicked it to the shoulder, took off the plate and the part we just bought the day before and left it there. Almost got caught by a Mass State Trooper. We were just leaving when he pulled up. We played dumb, saying we saw the bike and stopped to help, but no one was around. Then my friend hopped on the back of my FJ6 and headed home.

Due to that, I will never forget the Kawisaki 440 LTD.   :facepalm:

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »
I'll never forget my friend's foray in touring with his 440LTD, don't remember the year, prob a little bit older than that. He was kind of like a mechanic's apprentice at the local Kawasaki dealer. He bought the 440LTD from them used, real cheap, did a little work on it himself to get it running right. We went to Boston for the weekend about a week later for a motorcycle show. I had my FJ600 then. We got into Boston looking for the venue and the LTD died. Had it towed to the local Kawi dealer, even though the tow truck didn't recognize my roadside assistance (even though they dispatched him). I don't remember the part, but it was an inexpensive repair.

Ages ago in Cycle World, their was an article about a guy who buys a clapped out Yamaha Big Bear 2 smoker dirt cheap and sets out on a journey north to Alaska(?). The philosophy of the trip was he'd go as far as he could on the bike, and when it broke in such a way to be unfixable on the side of the road, he'd push it into the ditch and thumb it.

It was a terrific read with a style much like Peter Egan. With the bike hot seizing constantly, fabricating some clutch plates out of a leather jacket..  The bike eventually died in BC and was pushed off into a ravine.  If i recall, ppl called bullshit on the tale.  It was detailed in the story exactly where the bike was ditched at a specific mile marker. People made the trip and verified the bike was there.

Cool.  I'd pay for a copy of that article as I keep entertaining a similar trip/adventure.  Buy a piece of shit and see how far, where it takes me.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »
There was a story in ADVRider where a guy bought a $500 Yamaha Venture with no second gear and rode it down into southern Mexico, and went eventually abandoned it in the airport in Cancun because he could not import it back in as it wasn't brought in legally in the first place. Great story.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Patmo

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
I bought a 1986 Kawasaki Concours for 500 dollars in 2001 or 2002.  It looked like total s**t, but it ran.  I put some new tires on it, bought used bodywork off of eBay and from a bike junkyard, cleaned the carbs, and changed all the fluids. All told another 3-400 dollars in expense.  It had 70K on it when I bought it.  My wife and I traveled on that bike for thousands of miles, I took it on trips to the Smokey’s more than once.  Did a SS1000 on it a year later.  Kept it for several years (2015?) until it was mostly sitting in the garage and not being used.  By then it had about 95-96k on it.  Sold it to someone on the Comcours owners forum.....for 500 dollars.  I’ll bet it’s still running and in the road somewhere. 

Friend of mine just sold his 2000 Concours for 500.00.  It looked really good, but had been sitting for about 3 years.  Needed a battery and carb cleaned.  70K on the odometer.  He sold it about 5 minutes after putting it on FB marketplace.  Wish he had told me about it first.   :-\

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 08:55:56 PM »

That reminds me: when I was fourteen - back in the 70's, a bunch of us had little dual-sports. Think Honda SL100's, Yamaha 100 enduros, bikes like that. About eight of us decided to ride down the highway to the next town over. It was 17 miles away. We got to the halfway point where there was a little country store. We pulled in. They all got to talking and got scared. I was the only one who wanted to continue. We all turned back. I should've kept going. I've been making up for that for 45 years.

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 09:12:39 PM »
I had a '66 250 Catalina and my buddy had a new '67 250 Big Bear Scrambler.  We had maybe $200 between us and we left Buffalo to head to Daytona Beach for Spring Break.  It's a good thing we were 17, because that trip now, on those bone shakers, would cripple us.
old enough to know better

Online Patmo

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 07:22:58 AM »
While a freshman in college, I did a weekend trip between Columbus and Cincinnati (roughly 100 miles each way) on backroads.  On my Yamaha 125 Enduro.  Strapped a gym bag with some clothes onto the rear rack and wore a jacket and work gloves. No real problems until I was just south of Columbus on the way back and the piston burnt up. Bike just stopped running and I had absolutely no idea what was wrong.  Turned out there was a hole in the top of the piston causing no compression.    :-[.  That bike and I never did a trip again, but I did repair it and still used it to commute all winter long. Sold it the next summer and got a car...65 Corvair....that didn’t end to well either.  Oh well.   ???

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 07:51:48 AM »
Now that I think back, I used tode my Honda Scrambler several hundred miles at a whack. That was the first.
One time when I lived on Cape there was a Coke party in Boston that I rode two up to on that thing.

I can honestly say the entire experience, ride and party sucked goat scrote.
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 02:11:35 PM »
While a freshman in college, I did a weekend trip between Columbus and Cincinnati (roughly 100 miles each way) on backroads.  On my Yamaha 125 Enduro.  Strapped a gym bag with some clothes onto the rear rack and wore a jacket and work gloves. No real problems until I was just south of Columbus on the way back and the piston burnt up. Bike just stopped running and I had absolutely no idea what was wrong.  Turned out there was a hole in the top of the piston causing no compression.    :-[.  That bike and I never did a trip again, but I did repair it and still used it to commute all winter long. Sold it the next summer and got a car...65 Corvair....that didn’t end to well either.  Oh well.   ???

I had a 76 DT 125 for a while as a bush bike.  Turned out the previous owner pressure washed it before letting it sit for about 10 years.  Turned out the cam on the flywheel for the points had surface rusted causing the points to close gradually. No amount of cleaning, sanding and polishing would fix the issue.  That thing left me stranded more times than I can count.

The last time, I was WAY far from home down a fire road in Northern Ontario, and it was nearing dusk. Oh ya, I was ever so smart, so I was alone.

I ended up taking the flywheel cover and removing the flywheel with a screwdriver and a bigF'nRock. Cleaned off the cam once more, eyeballed the point gap while listening to something seriously big crunching around in the bush  behind me, while little baby samurai mosquito's flew up my nose, in my ears and bit me in a feeding frenzy that would mark a shark piss itself.

I got back to the camp well after dark with the points once again starting to close up.

The bike was stolen shortly after that. I hope whomever stole it never made it out from the bush alive.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 06:20:48 PM »

I had a 76 DT 125 for a while as a bush bike.  Turned out the previous owner pressure washed it before letting it sit for about 10 years.  Turned out the cam on the flywheel for the points had surface rusted causing the points to close gradually. No amount of cleaning, sanding and polishing would fix the issue.  That thing left me stranded more times than I can count.

The last time, I was WAY far from home down a fire road in Northern Ontario, and it was nearing dusk. Oh ya, I was ever so smart, so I was alone.

I ended up taking the flywheel cover and removing the flywheel with a screwdriver and a bigF'nRock. Cleaned off the cam once more, eyeballed the point gap while listening to something seriously big crunching around in the bush  behind me, while little baby samurai mosquito's flew up my nose, in my ears and bit me in a feeding frenzy that would mark a shark piss itself.

I got back to the camp well after dark with the points once again starting to close up.

The bike was stolen shortly after that. I hope whomever stole it never made it out from the bush alive.

I'd say they got what they deserved. Never steal a man's horse. No matter how many teeth it's missing.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline stromgal

• Contributor
  • Age Quod Agis
  • Motorcycles: FJ-09, Weeee Strom
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »
Suzuki X6 Hustler (250cc 2-stroke) which I rode from Kansas City to Denver several times in order to visit my boyfriend. My first riding other than around-town, and I found I enjoyed seeing the countryside from the perspective of a bike. When I got hooked for a while on racing my RD350, touring went by the wayside, but when I picked up an XS650 I returned to enjoying travel via moto.

Many years and bikes later, still loving seeing the US from behind the handlebars. My hope to continue as long as possible inspires me to exercise and make smart diet choices.
The Lone Rangerette

Online Flyer

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »
My hope to continue as long as possible inspires me to exercise and make smart diet choices.
My neighbour began riding for the "other side" during WW2.
He survived into his mid-nineties, riding his R75/5 w/sidecar and canine companion, with just such a plan.
 :smiley_thumb: