Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So over Garmin 660 and Garmin in general.  (Read 554 times)

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
So over Garmin 660 and Garmin in general.
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:00:43 AM »
I'm done with my Garmin 660. It's developed a way to crash hard. The screen goes black and the power button doesn't restart the 660. The only fix is to pull the battery. I'm tired of life with Garmin in general.

I'm after the functional equivalent or better. I need US and European map support. The 660 supports having two map sets at the same time. Swapping SD's to get one set or the other is acceptable.

Something that's the equivalent of Basecamp would be nice. If the only option is a generic route planner and file format conversion, I'll live with it. Basecamp has a number of annoyances, but it does work, if coerced into doing so.

I looked at Magellan products and was underwhelmed. Which AFAIK leaves Tom Tom as the only replacement option.

Input, please.
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
Re: So over Garmin 660 and Garmin in general.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »
Smart phone?

My Montana 600 went missing (over a cliff?) in my recent crash. I've decided to try using a spare Samsung S5 cell phone and OSMand+ mapping software. I can still create GPX files using Garmin Basecamp, then load them into OSMAand+ on the phone, and then follow the TRACK (not route). Not worth much for find POIs or specific street addresses, but for following a track, it appears to work fine (driving around locally in the car). OSMand+ costs <$5. Spare cell phone is already paid for (no SIM card in it). Just need to buy a mount and figure out USB power cabling.

Garry
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:21:29 AM »
FWIW, I've given up on Garmin and Sena. They lost their magic, and are now "me too" competitors in very, very crowded spaces, just trying to capture whatever dollars are left with shit warranties, frequent releases with odd fracturing of feature sets, stupid subscriptions, etc., rather than delivering exceptional user experiences. :(
this signature on hold pending review

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »
Well, I’d gladly send you $20 plus shipping for that old POS Garmin 660.  ;)
--Tom

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:31:45 PM »
That's not so bad considering that the 660 came out in 2006.   :shrug:

I've never had to complain against Garmin. It works well in NA, it has decent road updates, it also works fine in Europe and most issues I've had were programming issues.
IOW my fault.  :shrug:

I have friends who swear by TomTom and others who swear at TomTom.  :lol:

In other words, whatever device you use will do the job, well or not, depending on how you program it, what you do with it and what your expectations are.

Anyways, Garmin and TomTom each have one recent product designed for motorcyclists.
The Garmin 396 LMT-S and the TomTom Rider 550. Both retail for about the same price.
Both have some form of road programming onboard and some form of route programming software.
Both can use routes from other apps.
Both have similar features and functionalities.

The only difference I can see from the specs is the TomTom has lifetime World maps coverage vs the Garmin has a base lifetime map (North America or Europe) and you have to purchase the other maps.

I suggest you take a good look at the TomTom. I think the world map coverage might be what you're looking for.

Ride safe!

Offline OldButNotDead

• Motorcycles: 2014 FJR13000A 2016 R1200GS LC
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »
Chris, I feel your pain on both Sena and Garmin.  Do you remember when Garmin had some of the best customer support for actually fixing a problem and standing by it.  Despite my old timers, I still do, but that has left the building with Elvis.  Sena is similar in that regard as well.

Just a couple of points.  I have worked with GPS since it was just a Norad number and you could only get a 4 bird constellation at certain times of day and not every day.  Been using Garmin stuff since the GPS 45 which was one of their first units.  Some of the problems with GPS units in general is that location has been rock solid for years but maps used for display vary and are NOT updated as much as you might think.  Those updates you hear about have more info on restaurants, gas stations, etc than road updates.  How do I know?  I ran county GIS systems for over 30 years and companies bought our data to put in their units.   Probably the biggest problem with GPS units is users buy them for bells and whistles more than navigation.   Routing is hard.  All routing algorithms in GPS units are built on building some form of best guess.  We motorcyclists usually travel on secondary roads which makes routing even harder.  Bottom line is the most dependable portion of a GPS system sits between the user's ears.   GPS systems give you data but it isn't always the data you want.  The use has to intervene.  With all my GPS experience I still carry paper maps AND I never trust the GPS to give me a perfect solution.
It isn't the destination; it's the ride.

Online naustin

• Motorcycles: '16 FJR
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:15:16 AM »
My Zumo 450 was basically flawless and bug free - until the buttons wore off the front.  The Zumo 595 was a real disappointment at first - until I learned what a “shaping point” is (450 didn’t care), and with respect to bugs, until both a Garmin and a Sena firmware update.  Now, things are mostly smooth sailing, with phone calls being the remaining issue.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. 

I was ready to abandon Garmin I was so mad about the 595 and the $800 I spent on it.  Then I looked for alternatives and realized they’re aren’t any good ones.  There are other options, but serious compromises come with each.  In the end, I simplified the chain of BT connections I was trying to employ and gave up on phone calls entirely.  That got me by until firmware improved. 

Online naustin

• Motorcycles: '16 FJR
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 08:18:55 AM »
PS - is you hard crash issue related to battery health?   If the battery is bad/damaged/old, the unit may be shutting down to protect itself.  Happens with phones - so it wouldnt surprise me.  Can you get a replacement battery pack? 

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 08:25:23 AM »
^ What he said.

As far as using a phone thru the GPS?  I'm on the bike to get away from that stuff.  I want routing capabilities, easy access to nearby facilities and that's it.
--Tom

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '08 Wee & an overweight Connie
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
Chris, I feel your pain on both Sena and Garmin.  Do you remember when Garmin had some of the best customer support for actually fixing a problem and standing by it. 

Probably the biggest problem with GPS units is users buy them for bells and whistles more than navigation.   

With all my GPS experience I still carry paper maps AND I never trust the GPS to give me a perfect solution.

<<This>>    And the user interface was coded by a monkey who couldn't climb a menu tree.

While I wouldn't want to have to navigate a European city without GPS, there have been a few occasions where I came close to throwing my 595 out the window.  I much prefer my 550 over the 595.  That's why  only have the 595 installed on one bike.

Last trip through NC, my 595 got the route Scott & I were trying to follow horribly twisted up.  We still managed to make a good ride out of it.   While I positively detest the thing, I wouldn't want to ride without it.

Glimmer of hope - some automobile based systems are showing improvements - maybe that trickles down.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 10:20:36 AM »
FYI I've ordered a TomTom 550. The manual suggests there are going to be a few issues. OTOH TomTom answers support questions far faster than Garmin.

The 660 has gotten to the point where it does hard crashes that take pulling the battery to get past. Asking it to find POI's, even close to my location, leave the hour glass spinning with zero results. At least it's going to make a passable paperweight.
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »
If you can live without a waterproof version, I've been very happy with my Garmin 2589.  Vastly improved interface over the old Zumos.  Accepts routes, keeps weeks worth of tracks.  Will not bluetooth to Sena.
IBA #37902

Offline Oddball

• Motorcycles: XS360, DR650, Tiger 800XC, FZ1, R1100RT
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »
...Just need to buy a mount and figure out USB power cabling. Garry

Been using a cell phone as a dedicated GPS for years.  You'll figure out the mount, but this what I have found best for power after going through many other cables.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXYIVZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IBA# 22015

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 09:21:23 PM »
That's pretty slick.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 11:44:06 PM »
...Just need to buy a mount and figure out USB power cabling. Garry

Been using a cell phone as a dedicated GPS for years.  You'll figure out the mount, but this what I have found best for power after going through many other cables.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXYIVZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What app are you using for routing?
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen