Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2019 MotoGP thread  (Read 2580 times)

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
Re: 2019 MotoGP thread
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »
Another qualy where Petronas Yamaha looks like the factory team. Dayum.

And, really, did any of you expect anything from Quartararo this season? I didn't. He's definitely the biggest surprise of the season for me.

I'd like to see more of Quartararo.  He's beating expectations, no doubt.

It was fun to see an Italian win his first Moto GP race on an Italian bike at home.  I suspect many church bells were ringing. 

In a post race interview, Marc noted that he didn't try to pass Petrucci in the final laps given his fight with Dovi in the Championship.  That's a poor looser comment, IMO.  While that may be the truth and a smart strategy, it takes away from Petrucci's win.  And, let's be honest, when have we seen Marc NOT go for a pass, especially for the lead?

He flubbed the apex at Turn 1 and wisely decided to not push it and crash. How does it make him a poor loser? He's actually growing up a bit?

That was such a great race. I am totally thrilled that Danilo won; just really like that guy. Rins is just so smooth and silky. Get that boy a few moah horses. And Dovi...kinda felt he was a little off, but did well.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline motodog650

• Pissed-off bloody wanker
  • Motorcycles: '03 SV650 / '07 DR-Z400S / '83 & '84 Nighthawks
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2019, 09:34:41 AM »
Listening to the Paddock Pass Podcast, the comment was made that Mugello showed the prescribed way to most successfully beat Marquez; 2 or 3 riders gang attacking him instead of a one on one battle which in turn upsets his rhythm thus not allowing him to get into and stay in his 'zone'... 

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »
Remember Ant West?  Raced MotoGP for Kawasaki in the 2000's?  Apparently he's retiring with extreme prejudice!  From his Instagram and FB page:

Fuck FIM I’m done with this sport!!!! You will never see me on another motorcycle again in my life. You win FIM you dogs. Your really low shit people who should have nothing to do with the sport. FIM have pushed to make me lose my ride with Kawasaki here Brazil. FIM have destroyed my life many times and have put me into depression to point I wish I was dead. I’m done playing there bullshit political games. Fuck you FIM

Maybe his accounts were hacked :)
IBA #37902

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2019, 04:17:26 AM »
Yow. That sent me to Google. He's probably extra bent because he was leading that championship.

In happier news, Jonas Folger is back. He'll do the next 3 Moto2 races as a stand in for injured Khairul Idhem Pawi. Smart money says I didn't spell that right.
A man with no sig

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »
And Lorenzo?

I heard he was being flown to Japan for a chat.  Something about his bike being difficult to ride.

Where will he go next?  Switch places with Zarco?  Is Crutchlow still too much of a loose cannon? Or will Miller take Jorge's seat if Ducati doesn't pony up a factory ride?

Ahhh, the suspense........

On a different note.....did anyone notice the flapping front fenders of the Ducatis of Dovi and Danilo in the slo-mo replays? That can't make clean airflow.  And when you're talking about thousandths of seconds, maybe that would make a difference?

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2019, 08:08:47 AM »
forces on those bikes are incredible:

"Last year Michele Pirro crashed there at 165mph/265kmh after a headshake over the brow pushed his Ducati’s brake pads back into the callipers, so when he hit the brakes they didn’t work, then when he pumped the lever the brakes locked, flinging him over the front of the bike."

from this article:
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/motogp/220mph-and-airborne-mugello-corner-scares-motogp-riders?utm_campaign=979527_Mat%20Oxley%20-%20040619%20-%20Mugellocorner&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailCampaign&dm_i=4DIP,KZT3,37911M,2G5RS,1
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »
The technology on modern bikes is totally incredible.  Things that were only dreamt about before the advent of solid state electronics. 

I was watching super bike qualifying runs this morning and got blown away by the rear seat camera.

I mean I’ve seen it a million times before.  But I never noticed how the horizon stays level in the camera frame.   Which means video processing by the broadcaster, maybe using the lean angle sensor on the bike.  I know, different technology. 

But take a look at 50 year old video recording equipment. I mean just WoW!
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso, a few Yamahas, a BMW GS, and all subject to change!
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2019, 07:16:34 AM »
Wow, what a start to the race. Won't say more as some maybe aren't watching live.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2019, 07:46:57 AM »
Wow, what a start to the race. Won't say more as some maybe aren't watching live.

All three classes have been interesting. Craziness.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2019, 07:57:15 AM »
Sure was an exciting afternoon there
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2019, 05:12:39 PM »
Soichiro is smiling down on him. After all, Lorenzo denied his teammate twice last year a chance to challenge Marquez. Now he's running gunner for his teammate. Did he get a bonus?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2019, 12:20:14 AM »

All three classes have been interesting. Craziness.

No kidding. If you haven't watched the Moto3 race, definitely do it. It's carnage. And the save of the season.
A man with no sig

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2019, 07:34:26 PM »
I'm glad to see Bradl back on the grid. Hope he has a great home race.
A man with no sig

Offline Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2019, 09:33:14 PM »
Couldn't pass on this - the headline is not news to most of you - the rest of this piece is

Motorcycle 'more like a girlfriend than a mum!'

[quote Valentino Rossi, German MotoGP]
'The relationship with the bike is more like with your girlfriend than your mum... a bit more difficult!' [/quote]

Offline Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »
Couldn't pass on this - the headline is not news to most of you - the rest of this piece has more insight

Motorcycle 'more like a girlfriend than a mum!'

Quote from: Valentino Rossi, German MotoGP
'The relationship with the bike is more like with your girlfriend than your mum... a bit more difficult!'

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2019, 04:26:56 PM »
Heh. I like the analogy.
Snoozefest of a race. I like the mirror cam, though.
A man with no sig

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2019, 05:07:29 PM »
Great qualifying session today. Looking forward to this one. I'm thinking Marquez may clear out early, but looks like fun racing will be set up behind him.

If you haven't seen Odendall's high side save from Moto2 practice, go dig it up on YouTube. Totally worth it.
A man with no sig

Offline Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2019, 08:19:54 AM »
If you haven't seen Odendall's high side save from Moto2 practice, go dig it up on YouTube. Totally worth it.

If you mean the one where the 2 riders bumped, that was totally amazing.  Saw it just before I had to leave yesterday morning.  Don’t know the names of the 2 riders involved. 

Marquez is dancing and riding around the track no hands with the flag at the moment

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2019, 11:54:07 AM »
The Odendaal save is here:
https://youtu.be/CvUhfejgpuU

Got a fair amount done this morning while the race played in the background. Didn't seem worth paying too much attention after the first couple of laps. Hope the other two are.
A man with no sig

Online biking sailor

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2019, 08:20:59 PM »
So, where is Zarco going to land since he gave notice to KTM?

I have to admit I was not shocked he is leaving KTM, but very shocked he did it without a ride for next year.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2019, 06:51:28 AM »
So, where is Zarco going to land since he gave notice to KTM?

I have to admit I was not shocked he is leaving KTM, but very shocked he did it without a ride for next year.

Yeah, Zarco just isn't a good match for the KTM. I suspect he will find a ride in Moto2 or WSBK for 2020. I would think his preference would be Moto2 to stay in the paddock/shop window. There were rumors of a Suzuki satellite team earlier this year. Maybe having a rider like Zarco available would re-spark that idea.

But there is Bautista's success in WSBK to consider if he wants to fight at the sharp end. Maybe MotoGP experience gives you a small edge in WSBK right now. Note that Bautista is leaving Ducati for Honda next year. I suspect his results will suffer but he will be getting paid well in the twilight of his career.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online biking sailor

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2019, 08:10:29 AM »
A Suzuki satellite team with Zarco would be welcome on the grid, imho. I suspect the good cornering Suzuki would be more to his liking, and more similar to the Yamaha than a KTM, Honda, or Ducati would be.

Of course, there will be contract considerations, will KTM release him to ride with another team, or will he set out 2020? I don’t see the advantage to either of them to get a Moto2 KTM ride for Zarco.

Offline motodog650

• Pissed-off bloody wanker
  • Motorcycles: '03 SV650 / '07 DR-Z400S / '83 & '84 Nighthawks
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2019, 08:50:00 PM »
don’t see the advantage to either of them to get a Moto2 KTM ride for Zarco.

Don't have to worry about that since KTM announced at last round that they are pulling out of Moto2 in 2020...