Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And while Garry goes shopping, Chris considers selling...  (Read 4496 times)

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
Re: And while Garry goes shopping, Chris considers selling...
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »

General comment: Holy shit, I can't remember another motorcycle forum where so many people are thinking of giving up motorcycles. I've written a few articles in recent years about the weakness in the U.S. motorcycle industry, but this is a data point I probably haven't explored enough.

it would be interesting to see when those giving it up started riding. Is it a lifelong passion that fizzled out or was it just a hobby they tried out?
personally I can't ever imagine being without a motorcycle.

1973 here.  There been a running bike in my possession ever since, sometimes as high as four in the garage.
--Tom

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2018, 10:41:20 AM »

I turned 60 on November 1.

Was the fire started by your birthday cake? Because man, that's a fuckton of candles.
i eats paste

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »

I turned 60 on November 1.

Was the fire started by your birthday cake? Because man, that's a fuckton of candles.

Meh. (64 soon)

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »

General comment: Holy shit, I can't remember another motorcycle forum where so many people are thinking of giving up motorcycles. I've written a few articles in recent years about the weakness in the U.S. motorcycle industry, but this is a data point I probably haven't explored enough.

it would be interesting to see when those giving it up started riding. Is it a lifelong passion that fizzled out or was it just a hobby they tried out?

Dirt riding since ~12, though haven't really done any since my early 20s. Street riding since 16. About to turn 52. The only time I haven't had a bike was for a few years in the early 90s. I've ranged from 20k-45k/yr in my heyday. These days... I did maybe 5000 miles/yr the last couple years, most of that was after trailering to the good spots, and running the twisties. All this damned surgery and putting me back together has really change pretty much everything about my life.

this signature on hold pending review

Online Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
Have you considered a dual-sport bike? Not some big, heavy adv bike but a lighter, slower, more nimble bike. Go ride country/dirt roads. Less high speeds, less traffic, any secondary road will do. And you can ride more cold days without freezing to death. I've found at my age (59) that I much prefer dual-sporting over my street bike.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2018, 04:01:59 PM »
I've been reading this. 

There is no right/wrong here or brave/timid.  You have a ton of miles under your belt.  It is possible that the newness has worn off and due to traffic/road conditions, the pace required to make it fun is outside of your safety zone (generally true throughout the mid-Atlantic).  If it's not as fun as other activities for you, then you're ready for a break.  It might be permanent, long term or short term.  But whatever.  As stated, life's too short to waste free time on things that aren't fun for you.

Online vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2018, 04:17:49 PM »

New 1967 Wards Riverside 50 (Benelli), ran the piss out of it and have loved Italian bikes ever since.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:51:54 PM by vfrmike »

Offline Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
There are times though, when it doesn't feel 'right'. Hard to describe, but I don't get on the motorcycle when that happens.

QFT.   Maybe totally irrelevant to this discussion; QFT nevertheless
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »
I can't either. I started racing at 12,quit at 15. Damn 8 year olds didn't realize they could get hurt, and they were running the same bikes I did but they only weighed 1/2 as much. No way I could beat them anymore. First road bike was a year old 1965 Yamaha 80, and haven't been without a bike since. I did park the Bike for two years, when I discovered the joys of motor scooters and touring on them. I now have five of the beasties, Well, I will when I get my big burger repaired. When I pulled the bike back out of mothballs, I realized I still loved riding the big bike too.
 Hell, the EX damn near killed you, and I bet you swore off women for a bit.  That changed. Maybe you'll look at riding differently in spring. Or, decide you've been there-done that, and it's time to move on. Whatever.....
old enough to know better

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
Re: riding history...

I started riding when I was in grade school on a Honda 50 which eventually graduated to a Tail 70.  My cousin raced GNCC so I attended a lot of his races and had my Yamaha YZ with me to putt around.

Through high school, I only rode dirt bikes as my parents wouldn't allow me to have a street bike.  In college, I acquired a Suzuki GS and rode it home on the weekends and to my girlfriend's place.  After college, I did the cruiser thing for a few years and got bored with my friends always wanting to ride in parades and bar hop.  Eventually, I got married to Sheri who didn't like me to ride but eventually gave in and I acquired my first ever new bike, a Ducati ST3.  There has been at least 200,000 miles of great memories through the years including some epic fly and rides and attending meets.  It's at the meets where I have made friends with many on this forum.  I honestly haven't met a better group of people. 

After a run of very bad pucker moments (mostly from the sidecar and a few on two wheels, including my first ever car strike), I sold the sidecar with my wife in tears as it was loaded on the buyer's trailer.  She adored spending time with me on it and "assumed" our close calls were par for the course.  I told her I had never felt more unsafe than being on the hack.  A two-wheeled machine is was more safe, IMO.  Out of guilt for selling the hack, I reluctantly sold my motorcycle.  The gentlemen who acquired it is a lurker on this forum.  He'd tell you I couldn't see him load it up as I started to break down in tears.

Now several years after that, I have become frustrated and a bit bored with riding (most, not all of it) and feel I need a break.  My head and heart are at the same place unlike the last time I was "giving it up."  I'm sure I'll come back to it someday.  For now, it's difficult seeing the bike in the garage not being ridden. 

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:17:49 AM by R Doug »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
Went and pulled up my ST1300 fuel log for 2018.  Depressing, to say the least.

--Tom

Offline Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »

Sounds like someone needs to start a poll.....  :popcorn:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »
I think y'all are putting way too much though into this.

Some days I simply know that I should be on four wheels. Other days I shouldn't be on anything but two wheels. I work weekends, every weekend. For me to ride on a weekend is rare and on those times I fear for my life. I can go out of my driveway and take a left and drive for hours without seeing traffic or I can take a right and within 7 miles be in a clusterfuck. I generally choose to go left but even on those days if I shouldn't be on two wheels I know it. Don't want to ride? Don't ride. Want to sell your bike? Sell your bike. You'll want another one, you know you will. You could always buy a boat...
i eats paste

Online tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2018, 02:32:33 PM »
So I have waited to add anything to this thread until now.

I have had the exact thoughts since my month long journey this summer.  I knew going into it that it would be a make or break situation.   I really found myself a little annoyed most of the trip for the countless miles per day and yes, if it is not fun then why?  Again I knew what I was signing up for, but upon my return I just felt like there really is nothing I care to do on a motorcycle anymore, at least where I live.  So my bike has been for sale on craigslist and on ADV along with the super tenere forum for a month.  MY wife really has no interest anymore.  I don't need such a big bike.  I pulled the insurance off of it, cleaned it to its immaculate condition and now I wait.  I will not give it away and my wife doesn't think I should sell it so I will just keep the ads current on the threads and if it sells it sells.  If not then maybe in the spring I will insure it and dust off the gear and blow the stink off of me.
So there it is.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
A lot of good sense on here. Except buying a boat. Don't buy a boat. They eat money and you won't use it. Unless you live on it.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »
BTDT with boats. No more.
--Tom

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2018, 01:57:11 AM »
The boat is also a long running gag here. Man, you guys need to pay closer attention.
i eats paste

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2018, 06:32:02 AM »
The boat is also a long running gag here. Man, you guys need to pay closer attention.

Fishing for Stripers?  ;D
--Tom

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2018, 06:44:01 AM »
I am not going to say any thing that probably hasn't been said in this thread, but my 2 cents.When you become tentative about any risky activity , whether it be motorcycle riding, rock climbing or flying an airplane , it is good to reflect on risk/reward. Also I have found that being tentative , can increase risk because it leads you to hesitate or over think things in a must do situation.Not good. i understand the disenchantment with traffic as people use their 4 wheelers in an aggressive manner  now days.I try to get out of the " shit " of congested local traffic and explore back roads much more than before.Also I have reverted into a more touring aspect of riding, meaning I want to see places, and go places , not just to turn and burn .My enjoyment of twistys is still there ,but at a more relaxed pace,I accept my aging and don't have the eagle sightlines any more.What you need to think about Chris is whether the enjoyment is still there or only the fear of what could go wrong.If you get on a bike and it just isn't fun.... then its subliminal fear, and that can kill your ass as sure as a mistake. Maybe think of other activities you enjoy or would like to try, and go to them.You can always come back to motorcycling if you have a change of heart.
Hell there are times I think driving is becoming a hazard, with all the hyperactive,self centered, crazies on the road, but I still don't have fear yet, so , onward I go.
No matter what you decide, I hope you will visit us here ,you are a good egg, and your insights are always welcome.
MJ

VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2018, 07:31:19 AM »
Got a Honda 50 when I was 8.  Killed that poor thing but developed skills that will be with me forever.  That was reinforced when we bought the XT250s and my body knew how to do things it hadn't done in 30 years.  The XTs allowed me to harken back to my childhood when that little Honda was the best thing in my life.  I remember specifically dreaming about a day when I could just do what I wanted as an adult and now I'm literally living that dream as I can hop on the bike and zip around the property in the woods.  I can't imagine that going away.  Now, on the street, I guess I'm just lucky that I don't have that level of fear.  There are circumstances that I know are not ideal and I try to avoid them.  If I can't avoid them, I adjust accordingly as much as I can.  Case in point:  When my work schedule had me commuting during the twilight just before dawn, I was less inclined to take the bike.  Sucked cuz the ride home would have been great.  But deer movement patterns are a real thing.  There have been times when I was in the thick of it on the BRP or some reptilian named thing or just down the road in the good stuff in WV and suddenly, my brain went.  I was either tired, distracted, or got that feeling.  So, I tapped out, slowed down, and removed as much of the risk as I could for the given circumstance.  I think it was my 40th birthday trip when we were coming home and had a 1/2 day left.  It had just stopped raining, the sun was out, we were on the less twisty part of the Parkway in VA heading north.  Pace was 8 or 9 tenths and we were having a really good run.  Then, all of a sudden, I slid on some slippery mess under a tree that I should have seen.  That rattled my cage a bit and I blew a line on a turn w/ a nasty shoulder drop.  Instead of trying to be a cool guy and continuing to try to keep up for the sake of my sack, I just relaxed and dumped about 20mph till I was back in a comfortable place.  Kim dropped back and asked what was up and I told her I was done.  I couldn't maintain the level of concentration required to ride that pace for that long any more that day.  I'll see y'all at the gas station.  She opted to stay with me because it was my birthday but we let the boys go on their merry way.

My point is that instead of making sweeping life changing decisions, I simply make that process of analysis a constant thing on every ride.  I treat each ride or close call or whatever with a critical eye and that keeps me continually interested.  Right now we don't even have real bikes.  That's OK because I wanted the dream house and I needed to sell the VFR and Bandit to get a driveway built.  Hopefully soon, I will have another more street oriented bike and I will continue with the same thing that has been successful for me for these 40+ years on two wheels.  No epic declarations of intent required. 

Not riding is not an option for me. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2018, 08:11:27 AM »

Fishing for Stripers?  ;D

In a manner of speaking, yes.
i eats paste

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »
Boat= a hole in the water that you throw money into.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2018, 04:29:32 AM »

I enjoyed the ride.  :bigok:

this signature on hold pending review

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2018, 04:37:32 AM »
Where has that little minx gotten off to? Is he still having a bromance with RAJ over in the bad neighborhood?
i eats paste

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2018, 09:01:25 AM »

I enjoyed the ride.  :bigok:

https://youtu.be/VlMjdwb6HY0?t=73

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2018, 09:04:41 AM »
HAH! (spit)
i eats paste

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »

Ha use my boats early spring into the fall.  Waterski every week at least once.  Kayak a lot.  Pontoon with the dolts who are unable to use real boats...

Pretty low expense if you are capable, if you have a marina do your work god help you.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »
I've had several, dating back to the mid-80s.

16' Four Winns with a 115hp Evinrude
18' Glastron fishing boat I/O four cylinder
31' Marinette wood cruiser c.1959  <-most fun of all them
19' Four Winns cuddy cabin i/o

to name a few off the top of my head.  Kids loved it while growing up, but by their mid-teens, it was meh. 

I love being on the water, but I'll rent a boat for the day or week at this point.  Cheaper in the long run.
--Tom

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2018, 09:29:33 PM »

Ha use my boats early spring into the fall.  Waterski every week at least once.  Kayak a lot.  Pontoon with the dolts who are unable to use real boats...

Pretty low expense if you are capable, if you have a marina do your work god help you.

Used to water ski. In the 70s and 80s, it would cost more than an SLR camera body to drop the boat into the water for a weekend of skiing. Inflation has not changed that for the better.

Offline stromgal

• Contributor
  • Age Quod Agis
  • Motorcycles: FJ-09, Weeee Strom
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »
Doing one of my rare drive-bys to see what's up here. Gosh, I miss the old days when I could find all the folks I enjoyed in one place...

Confess I was surprised to read the number of folks professing doubts about the 'need for speed', or, in this case, for two wheels.

I'm 67 now, been riding steadily since 1966. I've had a few medical probs that diminished my riding 'til I got things sorted out, and I've been occasionally uninspired by the local roads. But had I the money and time, I'd be riding all over the US of A, because seeing the world from the seat of a bike continues to be my favorite thing. There are times when I truly feel my age and wonder if I'm foolish riding all over the dang place by myself, but in general, I'm SO happy and grateful to still be able to enjoy motorcycling. Because I know those days *will* end at some point, sooner for me than for others.

If it don't feel right, don't do it. There is a plethora of joyful activities available, find what suits and be happy!
The Lone Rangerette

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
And while Garry goes shopping, Chris considers selling...
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2018, 08:27:32 PM »
Amen!
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
Doing one of my rare drive-bys to see what's up here. Gosh, I miss the old days when I could find all the folks I enjoyed in one place...

Confess I was surprised to read the number of folks professing doubts about the 'need for speed', or, in this case, for two wheels.

I'm 67 now, been riding steadily since 1966. I've had a few medical probs that diminished my riding 'til I got things sorted out, and I've been occasionally uninspired by the local roads. But had I the money and time, I'd be riding all over the US of A, because seeing the world from the seat of a bike continues to be my favorite thing. There are times when I truly feel my age and wonder if I'm foolish riding all over the dang place by myself, but in general, I'm SO happy and grateful to still be able to enjoy motorcycling. Because I know those days *will* end at some point, sooner for me than for others.

If it don't feel right, don't do it. There is a plethora of joyful activities available, find what suits and be happy!

Good to see a familiar name pop up. Glad to see you are still riding. I'm 10 years behind you, but it is till my favorite way to travel, period.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Trophy 1200, '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »
I’m figuring out my reality myself.

I like track days, and my goal is six per year.  Whether I obtain the goal or not, I at least have one.

I now hate city traffic.  After my semi-truck incident in Sep’16 and the paramedic bringing the body bag to me, city riding is, as Chris said, just waiting for death.

I loved our Monterey run we did last month.  Riding out in the California back roads is awesome and every turn was fun.

That said, I’m doing more flying lately and, as we now have our “trike”, I figure this is where a lot of my personal time will be invested.

As a side-note, today traffic scares me in a car, as well.   We are down to owning two lovely Jaguars and I get so nervous taking them out to drive.  I wonder which time will be the time the car gets totaled by the texting teen.  Our Chevy truck is getting the most driving of any of our cars.  Five years ago you could not have convinced me this would happen.

I may, or may not, get over this. 
IBA: 63413

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2018, 07:04:25 PM »
Threadjack - big thumbs up with stromgal's avatar!!

Soaking in the sights with gusto
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2019, 12:43:05 PM »
Some of y’all may remember my VFR being stolen 2 1/2 years ago. Even though it was recovered the next day, the damage was more than I could afford to repair. With other life changes, I haven’t ridden since. Now, however, I have a new set of plastics and plans to get back on the road. It’s been too long. I can’t wait.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2019, 12:48:31 PM »
Some of y’all may remember my VFR being stolen 2 1/2 years ago. Even though it was recovered the next day, the damage was more than I could afford to repair. With other life changes, I haven’t ridden since. Now, however, I have a new set of plastics and plans to get back on the road. It’s been too long. I can’t wait.

yay!
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »

Where's the "like" button!?

Great news
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2019, 02:47:45 PM »

Where's the "like" button!?

Great news

Yay! No knees should go unscrubbed that long. Good news indeed.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2019, 08:57:30 PM »
Right on!
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »
Fantastic news.  I am SO happy for you!  It has been far too long...
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 07:48:39 AM »
I sold my VFR last year, and gave up riding, for now. Between working two jobs, two little girls at home, I didn't have the time to really ride anymore, at least not like I wanted. Commuting wasn't cutting it anymore. But at some point, I will ride again. In a few years, once the wife is working full time again, finances are in good shape, and maybe I can quit my part time job, then I'll get another bike. I don't want to have to wait till I retire, that's still another 12-13 years away. But it may be 3-5 years before I ride again.  :(

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »
I sold my VFR last year, and gave up riding, for now. Between working two jobs, two little girls at home, I didn't have the time to really ride anymore, at least not like I wanted. Commuting wasn't cutting it anymore. But at some point, I will ride again. In a few years, once the wife is working full time again, finances are in good shape, and maybe I can quit my part time job, then I'll get another bike. I don't want to have to wait till I retire, that's still another 12-13 years away. But it may be 3-5 years before I ride again.  :(

Then you should come down my way and I'll have something for you to ride from time to time.  8)
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 09:16:00 PM »
Maybe time to pick up a cheap, old, scooter...you know, just to keep your hand in it. They're great for running errands,  quick trips to the store, cross country, etc.