Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And while Garry goes shopping, Chris considers selling...  (Read 4526 times)

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
And while Garry goes shopping, Chris considers selling...
« on: November 13, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
Was talking over my current mindset about riding, spending pleasure time, working time, etc., with a friend, and came up with what amounts to perhaps a decision-making dilemma.

In light of Liz's recent crash where she was STOPPED at a red light...
Then a situation a few months back getting rear-ended while sitting at a red light (dude fell asleep in his pickup and ran right into her)...
My own crash a couple years back where, again, I was stopped and a drunk plowed into me causing me irreparable damage to my body and mind (the nightmares continue)...

Basically, I've been looking for a reason to care about riding any more, and... I'm finding damned little.

Riding around here is basically just waiting for death. Everything is so congested, and everyone's in such a hurry, and on their phones, and in their cocoons of steel and glass, full isolated from giving any fucks what's beyond their windshields. It's just scary riding around here any more.

So, we go riding in WV, and... meh.

Look, it's all lovely down there. I think most of us know that. It's great. But riding down there is literally just doing loops, and hoping I don't hit gravel and deer and asshole rednecks crossing the double yellow, and over-the-mountain torrents of rain, and deer, and then deer. I'm in constant state of... something. I don't know. Maybe it's fear, but certain hypervigilance, to the point of ruining the ride for me. It's more about obstacle and situation analysis and avoidance, and compromise, than it is about full on enjoyment.

Maybe I'm just feeling my mortality, maybe being over 50 with so much metal in my body after being nearly killed IN one of those cocoons... Maybe it's just run its course with me. Maybe I'm just scared. I keep coming back to that. I don't heal like I used to. And I don't WANT to have to heal like that any more. Maybe I'm just apathetic.

I dunno... Maybe the bike goes away in Springtime. Maybe I'll find renewed eagerness in riding. Maybe this. Maybe that. Who knows.

More importantly, who really cares? :)

Thanks for letting me whine. It's nice to get it all out.
this signature on hold pending review

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
Re: And while Garry goes shopping, Chris considers selling...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »

I can sympathize, Chris.

After several years of over 20k miles per year on a bike, the past couple have been severely lacking.  Little to no enthusiasm or desire to go out and cross the country again to be a target on two wheels.  I've put 4k miles on the ST this year, 2900 of that in one long weekend go and a whopping 14k since purchase in April of '17.  The DR350 never left the lift and was not even started this year.  I'm wondering why they are insured, maintained and checked over regularly when they don't get used....... 

Hell, I got the van to go walkabout this past June and it's racked up an amazing 1900 miles since I bought it.  That an average of 380 miles per month or just one tank of gas per.   :shrug: 

I need an enthusiasm injection.
--Tom

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
Maybe you should buy a boat.
i eats paste

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »
Much the same boat. Very little mileage the last few years. Throw in all the same reason + weed is now legal in Canada and I expect any kind of vehicle travel to turn into an even bigger shit show...

Anyway, in the early 90's I quit riding  until 2002 because a woman aimed at me while trying to stuff me into a guardrail. No reason why.  I lost my nerve and said fuck it. I'm done.

In 2002 I woke up one morning and, with no forethought in the least, decided I had to have another bike.

Well, I'm pretty much at the same point in my life as you. I still love to travel, but I think I'm gonna buy a hightop van this coming spring and turn it into a camper. Probably sell the bike and replace it with postie bike on the van.

Do you.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »
Once those thoughts creep in they are not going to go away.. best of luck in whatever direction you head. Personally I could not participate in anything that I consciously thought would result in my death. But, the same thing happened to my Father and probably happens to everyone at some point.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 03:28:57 PM »
Riding around here is basically just waiting for death. Everything is so congested, and everyone's in such a hurry, and on their phones, and in their cocoons of steel and glass, full isolated from giving any fucks what's beyond their windshields. It's just scary riding around here any more.

That's how I felt when I moved to NJ: I just didn't want to ride anymore. I felt unsafe on the roads, I found the roads to be not worth it once I did get out there, and, well, I just hated being on the East Coast in general  :o

Now that I'm here, where riding is glorious, the roads are smooth and well-engineered, the drivers are aware and respectful and there is very little wildlife, I really enjoy getting out.

Maybe its time for you to hang up the helmet, but with the idea that you can always pick it up again if circumstances change. :shrug:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 03:41:09 PM »
Safety is an illusion.

Death happens one way or another. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.

Fear brings chaos and your focus creates what's feared.

Security is mostly a superstition.

It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Good luck with your decision!

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »
Safety is an illusion.

Death happens one way or another. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.

It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.

What are you, some kind of philosophizer?
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 04:10:27 PM »
Safety is an illusion.

From the mind of jimmy....
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline jimmy

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »
Safety is an illusion.

No sir, a bullshit artist.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 04:18:30 PM »
Safety is an illusion.

Some of have picked up on that.

(other bullshit artists)
i eats paste

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 04:23:39 PM »
Safety is an illusion.

That's what I said.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 04:46:47 PM »
Plan B.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline OldButNotDead

• Motorcycles: 2014 FJR13000A 2016 R1200GS LC
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »
Been there several times Chris.  Last summer was just about a total waste.  Weather sucked.  Waited almost a year for MSTA's Mail Pouch Fly By and then Fall Colors rides.  Both were totally ho hum.  Factor in when you hit the pavement at 71 years of age healing time is way too long.  Put my GS up for sale yesterday.  If it sells, it sells.  If it doesn't, it doesn't.  Oh, and fear of death is not a factor.  I ride faster now than in my youth.  Mostly because the bikes are just so much better.  Also you are just so close to checking out, a couple days one way or another ain't no big deal.
It isn't the destination; it's the ride.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »
Safety is an illusion.

Not exactly.

Security....  is attributed to Helen Keller.

Safety...  I can't remember, but may have been Einstein, Marcus Aurelius, or maybe I cleaned it off the bathroom wall of one of our restaurants 8)

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »
Safety is an illusion.

Not exactly.

Security....  is attributed to Helen Keller.

Safety...  I cant remember, but may have been Einstein, Marcus Aurelius, or maybe I cleaned it off the bathroom wall of one of our restaurant  8)

Still it is something you remembered.... so my comment still stands.  ;)

In any case, I happen to agree with you. But I can see where Chris is coming from. People are whack. I just think to myself - like water between the rocks, water between the rocks, just flow on by. When I stop, I check my mirrors and set myself up for an escape route.

Online Baxter

• Newly retired--time to wear out some tires!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette 400, farkled for long distances
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
I've been thinking about your post, hoping for some amazing inspirational response to come to mind.  Nope.  Everything that pops to mind seems a bit trite.

But ... my own experience has been that I ride poorly, and have close calls, when my mind is cluttered with worries over my own safety (or even just general nonsense).  If a rider approaches riding with worry instead of calm in their mind, the worry will interfere with both the joy from the ride and also with the ability to be alert and ride safely.  That sounds like pop psychology, but I believe it is how the human mind actually reacts. 

So, maybe taking some time off this winter will be good if these events are causing you to think about crashing and you don't enjoy your ride.  Then you can return to your bike in a better frame of mind, and see if you do want to continue riding or feel like putting this away.
I broke the internet!

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »
Heh. I don't need to be safe, generally. I wade into most things looking for the best outcome. But a neck fusion, two shoulder surgeries, five knee surgeries including two total replacements, and occasional other less serious things here and there, it's the "oh shit, if any of this breaks I'm royally screwed" thing I worry about most. Especially this damned neck fusion (which was necessary after the ex wife attacked me, but that's a whole other story). That's some scary shit going on in there.

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »
you said screwed

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »
So, maybe taking some time off this winter will be good if these events are causing you to think about crashing and you don't enjoy your ride.  Then you can return to your bike in a better frame of mind, and see if you do want to continue riding or feel like putting this away.

* nods *

That's kinda where I'm leaning. The bike's staying 'til spring; it's just plain stupid to try to sell it now. Who knows... maybe some good Winter vacation time off work, and puttering around the house, doing a few projects, car shopping on the shoestring budget, and generally getting out of my own head a while will be a huge blessing. And I work too much. The life of a startup guy :\

Offline vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
I personally believe in self-fulfilling prophecies, and if consumed with what-if's when riding then personally I would pass.  I am not a daily rider and I tend to pick nice days of the week and hit country roads for a few hundred miles--yes it does get boring where I reside--my solution a new to me dirt bike for forest roads and some easy single track. Throw it in the back of the truck and head to a national forest on a week day when it is empty, peaceful, and above all therapeutic (after all that's why I ride.)     

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
Plan B.

Bonus are the models where the windshield easily folds down for air in the face.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Oddball

• Motorcycles: XS360, DR650, Tiger 800XC, FZ1, R1100RT
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 08:33:02 PM »
I took basically last year off.  In 2.5 years I rode 83k mile.  Last year less than 1k miles.  It, the drive to ride, was just not in me.

I relocated to the Spokane/CdA and I'm back at 15k this year.  I can't wait for the next ride now that the days are getting shorter.  I love exploring this area, even if I've always been there once before.

Best of luck with working this out, even if it is just coming to terms with it.
IBA# 22015

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »
I've got nothing for you.  My riding has drastically changed over the years.  9 years ago I switched to a job that was only 3 miles from where I live, so now it takes longer to gear up than get there.  My kids are at an age where I'm just more busy with them, so things have really slowed down on the two-wheeled front.

I too wonder why I currently keep the bikes I do.  One of the best things of my summer is taking the bike vacation with my buddies- that's a blast.  My love is still there, my riding time is not.  This will change.  I figure that's why I still hang on to the bikes- eventually I'll be back on them.

Give it a break- it could just come back.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 05:54:55 AM »

So, we go riding in WV, and... meh.

I got to this point and said to myself, "Are you kidding me? I will kill to have those roads. Come to Michigan and enjoy cornfields with one 90 degree corner every mile." I do kind of get it though, my riding is down this year for many reasons, part of which is my commute, which I loathe. But I hate it in the truck too. Then I get on on the bike, take back roads, gravel roads, or explore somewhere and I remember how much I enjoy riding. Then I imagine not having the option to ride, getting some eco-box for my 100 mile daily commute, and just going back and forth endlessly in a Corolla for the rest of my days. Why bother drawing another breath? What's the point? * Best of luck in choosing. Having stuff paid for makes keeping it easier, should you ever decide to semi-retire from riding.

* sorry- this is starting to become an existential whine-and that's my issue.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 06:12:42 AM »
We all know that riding a motorcycle opens you up to injury or death if you end up  in an accident. It comes down to a risk vs reward decision. One of the ways I choose to manage risk is avoiding civilization (no commuting, errands, etc). I live on the edge of the boonies, so very little civilization between me and decent roads. Yes, the local day loops and overnighters are on familiar turf, but I'm lucky enough to have lots of options so I don't get too burned out on the same old, same old. Plus I have the dirt bike to mix things up. My miles are half of what they used to be (still about 10K/yr) though. All my riding buddies have disappeared. Riding solo isn't nearly as much fun.

It sounds like you're in a much different situation and just escaping civilization to get to decent riding has real risks. If you're not getting the joy out of riding you once did, and you feel the risks are higher than the rewards of riding, then maybe it's time to focus on some other hobby for a while. No doubt they will still sell motorcycles in a few years if/when you change your mind.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:40:14 AM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
Safety is an illusion.

Very accurate statement here Jimmy.

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
Especially this damned neck fusion (which was necessary after the ex wife attacked me, but that's a whole other story).

I remember when you were telling about some of the stuff about Whaco-Incorporated. I missed that part. I have c5,c6,c7 fusion from a get-off so that must have been some hellacious attack.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 12:33:20 PM »
About 20 lbs worth of tools in a canvas sack at full arm swing. screwdriver went in my ear. Permanent ringing in that ear, basically deaf, another 1/2", I'd be dead. But hey... charges were dropped and it's only costing me about $100,000 in medical and rehab, but nah... I'm not bitter. :\

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
Chris, you and I have chatted a bit on this.  While I noted some of the motorcycles I'd be looking at to potentially replace my 1200GS in that particular "for sale" thread, I'm not very motivated to replace the bike once it's sold.  The fact is, I'm riding less and less and enjoying doing things with my bride of 25 years like kayaking and day trips in the car.  IF ONLY she'd get on the back of the bike, things may be a little different. 

I've not aggressively listed the bike yet (i.e. craigslist and/or ADV Rider).  I plan to later in the late winter/early spring.  I will be listing some riding gear soon (mostly off road stuff). 

Perhaps someday I'll come back to riding more.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying time with Sheri.  If I have a renaissance with riding again, that's fine.  I'll cross that bridge as I come to it.  To get my fix these days, I'll continue to do what I did in Ireland a few months back, which is a fly and ride. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 12:49:24 PM »
I'd like to add to my previous comment to say there is more than one reason I'm hanging it up for now.  Sure, risk/reward plays a part.  Unlike my 3 years on the Ural, I've had very few pucker moments on two wheels throughout the years and miles.  I accept the risk for the reward motorcycling gets me which includes the enjoyment of carving up twisties and mentally checking out. 

My biggest issue as of late is I'm not enjoying being on the bike UNLESS I'm in the twisties.  Lately, I have found myself getting bored during the "between the twisty" bits and have been losing focus.  There have been a few times I've caught myself wondering in the lane, which is easy to do on a bike when you're not paying attention.  Take an average 300 mile day trip and figure less than 50% (way less, most likely) is traveling on bits I really enjoy, that's increased opportunity for my mind to wonder on things it should not (like riding and keeping it between the ditches).  With this building habit in mind, I have taken a few day trips this year working on being cognizant of this drifting with the intent of fixing it.  Regardless, I still find myself bored and beginning to wonder around.  That's not good. 

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »
Yep. Totally feel that.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
And a lot of my track-oriented buddies would say that just start doing track days and get on a racing club. I get it. Pretty much non-stop twisties, and you don't *have* to compete. But... the point being missed there is holy sweet hell, does that get real expensive, real fast. And frankly, holds zero interest for me. Never has. Tracks days and parade laps wear on me pretty quickly because... well... I wanted to be out in the mountains. When even that is less appealing, there's just nothing drawing me to track days.

Again, all of that presumes affordability, which just isn't there for me.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
I loved track days but I actually enjoy "going somewhere" better at 7 and 8 10th rather than going around the same corners over and over and over again at 100% of my abilities.  My problem at the track was again, boredom.  I would push myself more and more to the point I was literally "backing" it into corners as I was trained to do in Cornerspin.  Every lap involved a self-induced pucker moment for me.  Eventually, I was cruising for a bruising and as I approach 50 years of age, I realized I don't bounce back as well I did in the 30s.  :lol:

Add to that, I saw a guy lose his arm at VIR after an impact with the Armco and another gentlemen lose his life at Barber.  This was in back-to-back track day events for me just one month apart.  Both of these guys were in my advance group full of licensed racers, they were not noobs. 

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
Ouch :(

Online Black Hills

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »
perhaps the reason I still enjoy it is due to the fact I don't have to put up with much traffic. It irritates me that it takes 15+ minutes to get to the twisties or the trails. I can't imagine if it took hours?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 07:23:21 PM »
perhaps the reason I still enjoy it is due to the fact I don't have to put up with much traffic. It irritates me that it takes 15+ minutes to get to the twisties or the trails. I can't imagine if it took hours?

I don't even bother riding to the good stuff any more. I have a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 07:25:40 PM »
Um, boat?
i eats paste

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
Um, boat?

Sheri and rented a lake house a few years back and took our kayaks and mountain bikes.  We rented a bow runner for the day, it's been years since I've been on a motorboat.  Talk about boring.  I can't see spending that sort of cash for running up and down a lake.  Give me my kayak and some remote coves to explore and I'm tickled. 

That said, give me enough money to acquire a 65' Flemming to traverse the Grand Loop and I'd be in heaven.  :inlove: 

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 08:06:36 AM »

When I lived in West (by God) Virginia, it took me less than that to be on excellent trails or twisities. 

Where I'm at now, it takes at least 90 minutes to get to decent twisities, two hours to the good twisites, and 2.5 hours for decent trails and fire roads.  The more frustrating thing about my closest twisities is the amount of traffic I hit once I get there.   :cromag:

I've completed so many illegal passes over the past few years, I'm surprised I've not been busted by a local or state.  There have been some close calls, but no po po has caught me in the act.  Two years back I was behind a semi and three cars.  On a short straight I was able to pass everyone hitting just over a ton doing so.  Just as I was slowing down after the pass, a state trooper came around the corner I was entering, turned on his lights, and chased me down.  I thought I was screwed.  Luckily, he let me off with a  warning.  He admitted he didn't' get me on RADAR but could tell I was exceeding the speed limit and had guessed I just passed the semi. 

Online minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2018, 10:06:55 AM »
If you have doubts, quit. If you're not enjoying it, quit. You'll either miss it or you won't, but a worried rider is not good for anyone. But I feel  for anyone that lets the actions of a few asswipes rob them of doing something they enjoy. Heck, I enjoy riding even if it's just to the store and back.
old enough to know better

Online Black Hills

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »
actually one of my favorite moments on a bike is the last corner on the way home. I do my best to back it in and wheelie out. makes me giggle every-time. my wife not so much....

Offline Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »
I'd like to add to my previous comment to say there is more than one reason I'm hanging it up for now. 

My biggest issue as of late is I'm not enjoying being on the bike UNLESS I'm in the twisties. 

Not again!

I totally empathize with you.   My only hope is we don’t lose contact.

My solution will be to try a new bike.  More about that later.   

I’ve got a good 90 minute ride until I’m in comfortably good riding territory.  There’s no fun pushing the bike out of the garage unless I’m going for at least a half day, and I need a really long day or overnight to get into anything exciting.  So by choice, I don’t get out a lot.  If you look a my ride log, I put on 5000 measly miles a year in a couple of trips of 3 to5 day each of 300 to 500 miles per day.   

You STOners could help by calling a few more spontaneous meets, like Gary did this summer.  THAT WAS GREAT.  I know I could call one myself and not really worry whether anyone showed as long as it gave me an excuse to ride somewhere over the weekend. 

Getting older has also made me look at risk differently.  Chris noticed the brake lights on my Wee this summer.  Not something he was used to seeing.  I’ve been fortunate to visit well over a dozen countries on several different continents in the last year, and that ain’t gonna happen next year if I blow the next corner.   And I start wondering if there’s a turtle or a rock and I do more than bend up a rim.  I totally appreciate where you are coming from.

I still make sure I hit the ton every day.  Won’t say anything more on a public forum, except that the f’ing cops have been most understanding. 

I’ve given it up before.  Probably won’t give it up again until I’m forced to. I recognize motorcycling for the addiction it is.  But lately I haven’t been enjoying the high as much as I used to.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »
 :yawn:
Oh boy, already that time of year?

Chris, Doug, I'll see youz STOners at "Skee's Spontanious Spring Meet".

And I quote,

"You STOners could help by calling a few more spontaneous meets, like Gary did this summer.  THAT WAS GREAT.  I know I could call one myself and not really worry whether anyone showed as long as it gave me an excuse to ride somewhere over the weekend."
 :beerchug:

She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »
Dad is never so happy as when he's looking forward to something.

Yeah the traffic is a drag and not getting any better.  But if we could avoid the weekends the resorts are a lot less crowded.

Some burn hot and out, others simmer.  Good luck with what you decide.

Me I am looking forward to riding but I don't play ricky racer on the roadway more out for the view and change of scenery.

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2018, 07:22:32 AM »
I've been thinking about this further since my original reply.

I'll likely end up getting a track bike to get my ya-ya's a few times a year.  That shit is fun and fuck. Not much different than riding my bike for 12-24 hours to get to twisties a few times a year.  Its just much safer.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Offline motociclista

• EOE Cup MotoGP champ, 2013, 2017, co-champion 2018
    • The Ride So Far
  • Motorcycles: Don't mind if I do. I love those things!
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »
One comment to Chris and one to the general forum community:

Chris, the knee-jerk human tendency is to tell other people they should do what we would do. If I did that in this case, I'd give you bad advice because I'm about as far as possible from your outlook. I last bought a car for my personal use in the 1980s, the average mileage on my personal motorcycles is now above 71,000 miles and I even enjoy riding over to your neighborhood every couple of months for work, despite the traffic. And, riding motorcycles is part of my job. (https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/by/12-lance-oliver) Giving up motorcycles would leave me transportationless, joyless, hobbyless and jobless.

The point of saying all that is that although I obviously can't relate at all to the way you're feeling, I can understand. And I think you're probably right to give serious consideration to stepping away. It's not an irrevocable decision. Bottom line on any optional activity: If it's not fun, why do it. And the risk is real (though the odds can be managed a bit).

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

General comment: Holy shit, I can't remember another motorcycle forum where so many people are thinking of giving up motorcycles. I've written a few articles in recent years about the weakness in the U.S. motorcycle industry, but this is a data point I probably haven't explored enough.
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2018, 08:19:43 AM »
One comment to Chris and one to the general forum community:

Chris, the knee-jerk human tendency is to tell other people they should do what we would do. If I did that in this case, I'd give you bad advice because I'm about as far as possible from your outlook. I last bought a car for my personal use in the 1980s, the average mileage on my personal motorcycles is now above 71,000 miles and I even enjoy riding over to your neighborhood every couple of months for work, despite the traffic. And, riding motorcycles is part of my job. (https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/by/12-lance-oliver) Giving up motorcycles would leave me transportationless, joyless, hobbyless and jobless.

The point of saying all that is that although I obviously can't relate at all to the way you're feeling, I can understand. And I think you're probably right to give serious consideration to stepping away. It's not an irrevocable decision. Bottom line on any optional activity: If it's not fun, why do it. And the risk is real (though the odds can be managed a bit).

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

General comment: Holy shit, I can't remember another motorcycle forum where so many people are thinking of giving up motorcycles. I've written a few articles in recent years about the weakness in the U.S. motorcycle industry, but this is a data point I probably haven't explored enough.

Well said, very well said.

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 08:55:17 AM »

it would be interesting to see when those giving it up started riding. Is it a lifelong passion that fizzled out or was it just a hobby they tried out?
personally I can't ever imagine being without a motorcycle.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2018, 10:05:09 AM »
After having bunion surgery at the end of August, I finally took my first solo ride about a month ago. It was just from Santa Paula to the Ozena Fire Station (approximately Lockwood Valley Road and Hwy 33), but It. Was. Glorious. Because I could shift with my left foot without pain. Because outside. Because motorcycle.

On Monday, M.Brane and I went to Jalama Beach for a Jalama burger. That was pretty much a day ride and I was tired, but it was a great time as well.

But I don't feel the need on a vacation to waste my time on the boring straight roads of Nevada in the summer. So we have the toy hauler. Because aging and time is short.

I turned 60 on November 1. I have aches and pains, but not like Chris. I am also not an incredibly paranoid or fearful person, but I practice every day being aware of my surroundings. There are times though, when it doesn't feel 'right'. Hard to describe, but I don't get on the motorcycle when that happens.

On a side note, since I stopped watching MSM, I have greater peace of mind. I don't allow the happenings in the world live rent-free in my head. So there's that. YMMV.