Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WV Poverty on the rise.  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
Re: WV Poverty on the rise.
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »
If you want to see the tourism side (and my favorite side) of West Virginia, stick to areas north of I-64, east of I-79, and South of the MD/PA state lines.  This is where world class motorcycle riding, hiking, kayaking, etc.... lives.   :inlove: 

With the exception of the HM Trail System which is all south of 64.  I've been down there several times and never encountered anything but kind and welcoming folk.  But I do kinda look like I belong   :-\
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Formerly Known as Bigfoot

• Motorcycles: 04 Yamaha RSV
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2018, 03:50:30 PM »
what are these speeding violations you speak of???  my bikes must not go fast enough to get one?

Virginia, not West Virginia is known for having the highest fines and lowest tolerances for speeders.

https://jalopnik.com/what-every-driver-should-know-about-speeding-in-virgini-1669902845

https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

You're posting an extreme and very unusual case.   I recall when this happened a trooper friend of mine telling me this guy (Camaro) and had a poor record but I don't recall all the info.  Also, this road sucks with deer and I came as close as I've ever come to taking out a deer in this area while doing around 60mph on my bike.  The below from one of your articles is overkill as well.  They do not regularly go to jail for RD in VA.  I've been in several VA courtrooms on traffic cases and people rarely go to jail on a RD conviction. The link below also shows how VA ranks as well as every other state with WV being pretty dang close to VA's ranking.  Also interesting some of the states out west that are ranked higher than VA.

"Reckless driving tickets present unique problems for drivers, since they are technically jailable offenses for which the judge could suspend your license. Realistically, most people don't receive punishments that severe. However, people do regularly go to jail and lose their license for this offense."

https://wallethub.com/edu/strictest-and-most-lenient-states-on-speeding/14211/

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED BUT CAN'T DELETE THE 2ND POST.
If Stupid Could Fly you'd be a Jet.

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
what are these speeding violations you speak of???  my bikes must not go fast enough to get one?

Virginia, not West Virginia is known for having the highest fines and lowest tolerances for speeders.

https://jalopnik.com/what-every-driver-should-know-about-speeding-in-virgini-1669902845

https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

You're posting an extreme and very unusual case.   I recall when this happened a trooper friend of mine telling me this guy (Camaro) and had a poor record but I don't recall all the info.  Also, this road sucks with deer and I came as close as I've ever come to taking out a deer in this area while doing around 60mph on my bike.  The below from one of your articles is overkill as well.  They do not regularly go to jail for RD in VA.  I've been in several VA courtrooms on traffic cases and people rarely go to jail on a RD conviction. The link below also shows how VA ranks as well as every other state with WV being pretty dang close to VA's ranking.  Also interesting some of the states out west that are ranked higher than VA. 

"Reckless driving tickets present unique problems for drivers, since they are technically jailable offenses for which the judge could suspend your license. Realistically, most people don't receive punishments that severe. However, people do regularly go to jail and lose their license for this offense."

https://wallethub.com/edu/strictest-and-most-lenient-states-on-speeding/14211/

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2018, 04:27:32 PM »
If you want to see the tourism side (and my favorite side) of West Virginia, stick to areas north of I-64, east of I-79, and South of the MD/PA state lines.  This is where world class motorcycle riding, hiking, kayaking, etc.... lives.   :inlove: 

With the exception of the HM Trail System which is all south of 64.  I've been down there several times and never encountered anything but kind and welcoming folk.  But I do kinda look like I belong   :-\

Yes, good point.  I have read this area of WV has been more and more open to the "foreigner" (aka outsider) because they have embraced the almighty tourism dollar.  :)

Thanks for the additional information.  Point taken.  That said, admit it... VA is know to be a major police state when it comes to speeding.  It's one of two states in the U.S. which does not allow radar detectors, it has the highest fines on speeding, and (at least at the State level) they put a lot of resources towards speed traps. 

On the last point, I travel 77 and 81 very frequently.  Whether I'm driving to Cincinnati OH, Lancaster PA, or somewhere in West "by God" Virginia, it's extremely common to see State Police setting speed traps I77 and 81.  Last Wednesday I drove to Cincinnati and took I-77 through VA to WV.  We saw six state troopers the entire 400+ mile trip.  Five of the six were in set speed traps on I-77 in Virginia. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
Agreed, Doug.

And, bigfoot, why take it so personally...? I wasn't attacking the police. I was pretty fucking clear that cops probably don't enjoy being perceived as the dicks many perceive them to be in Virginia.

Your state isn't getting any more revenue from me, either by choice of shopping there, or by the perceived-as-police-state bullshit that - gosh - everyone not from there complains about. Everyone.

:shrug:

Sorry for offending you, but again, wasn't attacking your or anyone else, and I think all you residents there should vote in some people who have better priorities.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
it has the highest fines on speeding,

Where on earth are you getting this info?  :shrug:

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2018, 06:05:56 PM »
They may not be THE most expensive, but they're on every single list. Every single one. Heh. Delaware is on the list, and I think I've only ever gotten one here - it was one winter night and I was on my way back to my place late at night, and I just wanted to get home because I was at work super late and hadn't dressed for how cold it had gotten. That sucked. :D

https://wjla.com/news/offbeat/busted-the-top-10-states-with-the-most-speeding-tickets

https://blog.esurance.com/speeding-tickets-where-does-your-state-rank/

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/speeding-fines-in-the-us-the-worst-places-to-go-over-the-limit-in-america-112691.html

And I've never, ever been ticketed for "average speed overages" - you know, where you're just driving down the road with your cruise control set on whatever the traffic is doing, hanging in the right lane so often, or so harshly like I have been in VA. :shrug:

The biggest issue might just be benign complacently by drivers. In PA the state cops usually have the radar pinging on 7-9 over. Maybe VA is like "oh, you're 1 over? Yeah, you're getting dinged". :shrug:

Bottom line, people don't make this stuff up. Empirically, a lot of people think Virginia is the devil's ass when it comes to being pulled over.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2018, 06:20:05 PM »

Do you live under a rock in PA?  It's a fact.  Heck, it was National news a few years back when VA announced its get-tough-on-speeding fines.

Just google it, you'll find confirmation of my claim.

Most expensive states for speeding tickets

Virginia and Illinois have the most expensive speeding fines, with the maximum set at $2,500. Following that are Georgia and Nevada, with maximum fines at $2,000. Ouch.

Offline OldButNotDead

• Motorcycles: 2014 FJR13000A 2016 R1200GS LC
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2018, 06:28:55 PM »
Back to the original topic....

The economic history of WV in a nutshell...

*  Abundant resources and nature. 

*  The State is generally anti business so not many large companies grow there or move there. 

*  The resources are tapped by the companies with where-with-all to do so which are located in more business friendly states (coal, gas, forestry, and oil industries).   

*  Locals benefit from providing anything from amenity service industries (retail, lodging, etc...), to higher paid on-site skilled labor, to local start up industry service providing companies (e.g. site/machine supplies to equipment retailers, to equipment repair and rebuild)

*  Natural resource industries are HIGHLY cyclical to supply/demand and regulatory changes

*  Material unemployment fluctuations place strain on State's entitlement programs due to limited tax revenue basis (remember, large companies where the higher paying jobs and tax generation potential do not want to locate there)

*  State continues to struggle

I love WV!  Been riding it all my life.  From Ohio, across the river from Wheeling.  WV has a lot of issues derived from geography.  The beautiful mountains make having a good transportation network very hard.  Schools have never been the greatest.  You may think the term hill billy is politically incorrect but the length of Appalachia IS hill billy country and it doesn't attract industry.  Western Virginia, WV, etc just need to be taken at face value.  Don't try to change them, just ride them and enjoy them.
It isn't the destination; it's the ride.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »
I love this...
Whether you live in a highly ticketed state or not, there’s one simple thing you can do to avoid the major bummer that comes with getting a speeding ticket: don’t speed.

Clearly that author has never tried driving down I-81. Trucks will run your ass right over on a downhill, then drag race each other back up the hill at 35.  :facepalm:

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2018, 07:33:39 AM »

Do you live under a rock in PA?  It's a fact.  Heck, it was National news a few years back when VA announced its get-tough-on-speeding fines.

Just google it, you'll find confirmation of my claim.

Most expensive states for speeding tickets

Virginia and Illinois have the most expensive speeding fines, with the maximum set at $2,500. Following that are Georgia and Nevada, with maximum fines at $2,000. Ouch.

You need to learn the real story and facts before posting garbage like this.  That amount of $2500 for Speeding in VA is bogus.  That amount is the maximum amount someone can be fined for a serious Reckless Driving charge.  No one in my many years as a LEO has ever seen the maximum unless it was a case that resulted in death or serious injury due to some very reckless driving and it was the most serious charge that could be placed.  A typical speeding ticket for say 15 over results in something like a cost of around $140 with fines and court cost.  People keep posting this bogus claim and some people keep believing it. 

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »
wow! I guess I'm happy out west where they don't really seem to care.

Which is yet another reason I prefer to head west on trips instead of east.  There are limits though. I avoid Calif whenever possible.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2018, 09:36:45 AM »
I need to bounce from this tread...I'm actually on the same side as Bigfoot. :lol:

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »
I avoid Calif whenever possible.

That means you'll miss a lot of the best riding anywhere.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
I avoid Calif whenever possible.

That means you'll miss a lot of the best riding anywhere.

Same with VA.  A few folks spread inaccurate info so they claim they'll avoid the state.  I think most don't avoid the states after all but if they feel better saying they do then more power to them. 

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »
I’m heading to VA for the weekend.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
Should be good weather for you.  Will you be in the Shenandoah Valley?

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2018, 03:22:56 PM »
Guess I'm a freak then. 

I've driven / ridden hundreds of thousands of miles in VA including a minimum of 160 miles a day during the week.  My primary objective is to blend, be boring, and stay below the magic (perceived) number of 20 over or 80mph.  I've blown past cops sitting in medians in excess of 10 over, sometimes well in excess.  The number of times I've had issues rhymes with shmero.  I've heard tale of these horrors but my personal experience is very very different. 

My assumption is that you need to be doing something really stupid, exceeding some threshold, or piquing an officers interest in some other way like by driving a hoopdie or weaving in traffic or blaring music or having your face lit up in cellphone blue or some other condition that has led experienced officers to draw a correlation between said condition and potential other more interesting conditions. 

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »

Yes. I’ll be staying in Staunton.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »
Guess I'm a freak then. 

I've driven / ridden hundreds of thousands of miles in VA including a minimum of 160 miles a day during the week.  My primary objective is to blend, be boring, and stay below the magic (perceived) number of 20 over or 80mph.  I've blown past cops sitting in medians in excess of 10 over, sometimes well in excess.  The number of times I've had issues rhymes with shmero.  I've heard tale of these horrors but my personal experience is very very different. 

My assumption is that you need to be doing something really stupid, exceeding some threshold, or piquing an officers interest in some other way like by driving a hoopdie or weaving in traffic or blaring music or having your face lit up in cellphone blue or some other condition that has led experienced officers to draw a correlation between said condition and potential other more interesting conditions. 

Yes to that.
Personally, zooming thru VA plus 10-20 hasn't been a problem.
But then, I am a lucky puppy...

"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow: any deviation has ramifications". - Internal Combustion, explained.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2018, 05:38:21 PM »
How many of these people reporting happiness with the system are running local-state plates?  It does make a difference.

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »

You folks need to visit Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.
Is he gone yet?

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2018, 06:13:06 PM »

You need to learn the real story and facts before posting garbage like this.  That amount of $2500 for Speeding in VA is bogus.  That amount is the maximum amount someone can be fined for a serious Reckless Driving charge.  No one in my many years as a LEO has ever seen the maximum unless it was a case that resulted in death or serious injury due to some very reckless driving and it was the most serious charge that could be placed.  A typical speeding ticket for say 15 over results in something like a cost of around $140 with fines and court cost.  People keep posting this bogus claim and some people keep believing it.

Garbage?  Bogus?  The fact that VA has the maximum fine for speeding in the U.S. for 20+ or for going quicker than 80 NO MATTER what the posted speed limit is real.  While I appreciate your actual experience and sharing that with us, the facts I previously posted are just that... facts.

You need more sources?

Popular Mechanics

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g1831/the-5-best-and-5-worst-states-to-get-caught-speeding/?slide=3

Recent local news articles about where the State Senate is looking to decrease the harsh rule of exceeding 80 MPH

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/01/va-senate-hopes-ease-reckless-driving-threat-interstates/

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/virginia/article_a67f78cd-ff64-5b82-a0b0-ee6d38af1825.html

And, as I've posted before, me and my coworkers travel quite frequently to everywhere from Lancaster PA to Louisville KY to Atlanta GA.  What's the common theme of our travels?  We discuss WTF is going on in VA on I77 and I81?  We constantly see State troopers running multiple speed traps and pulling folks over.  We do not see anything remotely close to that in... WV, KY, OH, PA, NC, SC, and GA.  In fact, it's rare to see speed traps in these states. 

If you and Chris would like to share a difference of opinion, I'm open to that and welcome hearing more from you.  But, let's not make it personal by calling my posts garbage, bogus, or otherwise personally attack my credibility.  If it's not clear to you by now, I don't take that well.

Offline OldButNotDead

• Motorcycles: 2014 FJR13000A 2016 R1200GS LC
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »
Same with VA.  A few folks spread inaccurate info so they claim they'll avoid the state.  I think most don't avoid the states after all but if they feel better saying they do then more power to them.

I firmly believe that VA has always used predatory practices like unmarked quick change speed limits and various forms of ambush techniques.  Lots of cities, states, and counties do that but IMO VA is pretty bad.  Now for the big fines, IIRC originally those fines didn't really have all that much to do with moving violations as they did with revenue collection from unpaid taxes and fines from other events.  Not sure if they are still doing it but a $100 speeding ticket could have delinquent taxes thrown on too after a background check was made.
It isn't the destination; it's the ride.

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2018, 04:11:09 AM »

Yes. I’ll be staying in Staunton.

Some great roads off I-81 if you have time to explore.

« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2018, 04:16:02 AM »

Garbage?  Bogus?  The fact that VA has the maximum fine for speeding in the U.S. for 20+ or for going quicker than 80 NO MATTER what the posted speed limit is real.  While I appreciate your actual experience and sharing that with us, the facts I previously posted are just that... facts.

You need more sources?

Popular Mechanics

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g1831/the-5-best-and-5-worst-states-to-get-caught-speeding/?slide=3

Recent local news articles about where the State Senate is looking to decrease the harsh rule of exceeding 80 MPH

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/01/va-senate-hopes-ease-reckless-driving-threat-interstates/

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/virginia/article_a67f78cd-ff64-5b82-a0b0-ee6d38af1825.html

And, as I've posted before, me and my coworkers travel quite frequently to everywhere from Lancaster PA to Louisville KY to Atlanta GA.  What's the common theme of our travels?  We discuss WTF is going on in VA on I77 and I81?  We constantly see State troopers running multiple speed traps and pulling folks over.  We do not see anything remotely close to that in... WV, KY, OH, PA, NC, SC, and GA.  In fact, it's rare to see speed traps in these states. 

If you and Chris would like to share a difference of opinion, I'm open to that and welcome hearing more from you.  But, let's not make it personal by calling my posts garbage, bogus, or otherwise personally attack my credibility.  If it's not clear to you by now, I don't take that well.

I know I've posted on here, and other forums, that I do not like VA's Reckless Driving section of VA Code.  But the link provided stated Speeding and $2500 which is bogus.  Speeding is a minor offense UNLESS you reach the RD level.  Many officers will not cite someone for RD at 80 over unless it's something pretty serious.  State Troopers are the ones who cut very few breaks though.  But blanket statements about Va and speeding costs should be clarified. 

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2018, 05:28:21 AM »
The fact remains Virginia has the highest potential fine in the country for speeding.  That's classified as reckless driving, which is lesser of 20 over or going 80+ MPH no matter the posted limit.  You ride bikes and know just how easy it is to exceed 80 when passing someone.  Also, VA is one of only two states which does not allow a RADAR detector.  Facts are not bogus or garbage. 

While I get your point that most police officers may not enforce it, it still does not dispute the fact the State's legislature sends a clear message that VA may be for lovers but it's not for speeders.

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2018, 07:19:24 AM »
Anyone remember Marc11 from ST.N?
He had his bike impounded and was thrown in jail for a few days.
If I remember correct it cost him over two grand when it was all said and done.

OK.   I found this, all I could find as it happened 8-9 yrs. ago.
Post 1214-1215...

https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=391;sa=showPosts;start=1200#.W-QtpKSWxhE

I'm posting this because two years ago a buddy from Maryland had the same happen to him. He was riding a C14.
He wasn't on the interstate, secondary road posted 45 (55?) limit. He was on a straight section just passed a guy *BAM* nailed at 80mph. (not very fast on a C14)
Cost him a ton of money, almost two grand. He also said, good thing I'm retired (68yrs old) or it would have cost more having to miss work.

So ya, Chris and R Doug aren't to far off the mark.

Virginia is for lovers not speeders.

She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »
Thanks for sharing these, Sam. 

These accounts sound very similar to the story shared by the journalist, which doesn't seem too bogus now.

:popcorn:

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »
I too am damn tired of VA getting flogged. I held a spring meet here and I would argue all had a great time. Now correct me if I'm wrong here but Chornbe, you got pulled over in Berryville and got lit up because you had a ticket you never paid. Well duh? What did you think was going to happen when your negligence escalated the stop?  Ever since that incident, you've been bashing VA. A person can bash every state in the union.

Moving forward, I will continue to host meets in VA and if many dislike the state, don't come. I'm not hating on you but give a rest please.

Eric
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:04:58 AM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline nickybcareful

• Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada, Black
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
The CBS article says:
President Donald Trump plans to visit West Virginia on Saturday, when he's expected to tout his economic accomplishments. The president has said he's "very proud" of the state and claimed that he "turned West Virginia around." His administration has focused on reviving jobs in the coal industry, which has added about 2,000 jobs across the U.S. since Mr. Trump's inauguration.

As Paul Harvey would have said, for the rest of the story...
You might want to read John Grisham's book: Gray Mountain.  Here is a review in the Appalachian Voices...
Though “Gray Mountain” is a work of fiction, the crimes inflicted by the coal companies on nearby communities are based on reality. Grisham toured the area near Whitesburg, Ky., with attorneys from Appalachian Citizens’ Law Center, a nonprofit law firm, and also spoke extensively with Dr. Matt Wasson of Appalachian Voices, the publisher of The Appalachian Voice.

“Grisham expressed keen interest in understanding and accurately representing the damages that surface mining causes in central Appalachia,” says Wasson. “His novel has exposed readers across the country to these issues, and we hope it will inspire readers to support the fight for justice in these communities.”

West Virginia is a favorite area to ride, particularly around Marlinton.  You won't find nicer folks anywhere.  It's a shame some are enslaved in poverty with a difficult path out.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2018, 11:33:11 AM »
The fact remains Virginia has the highest potential fine in the country for speeding.  That's classified as reckless driving, which is lesser of 20 over or going 80+ MPH no matter the posted limit.  You ride bikes and know just how easy it is to exceed 80 when passing someone.  Also, VA is one of only two states which does not allow a RADAR detector.  Facts are not bogus or garbage. 

While I get your point that most police officers may not enforce it, it still does not dispute the fact the State's legislature sends a clear message that VA may be for lovers but it's not for speeders.

In Texas, many areas are posted 75, a lot are 80, and there are places posted 85. Suck it, VA.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
I too am damn tired of VA getting flogged. I held a spring meet here and I would argue all had a great time. Now correct me if I'm wrong here but Chornbe, you got pulled over in Berryville and got lit up because you had a ticket you never paid. Well duh? What did you think was going to happen when your negligence escalated the stop?  Ever since that incident, you've been bashing VA. A person can bash every state in the union.

Moving forward, I will continue to host meets in VA and if many dislike the state, don't come. I'm not hating on you but give a rest please.

Eric

Oh, I paid the ticket.

What was never told to me was that there was a separate fee that needed to be paid as a "license reinstatement fee" (read as: fucking worthless piece of shit extortion for out of state drivers) to allow me the oh-so-grand privilege of driving in Virginia again, and so on the next visit down there, when I went around the stopped car, and pulled into the gas station to give that state money voluntarily, and was ticketed for some bullshit or another, the courthouse actually ZERO record of that reinstatement fee being sent to me or added in any of my paperwork, and yet it STILL led to a $664 visit to the court house, which blew my entire riding vacation budget, and we went home early, and kinda ruined the whole weekend for everyone.

How the hell one state can revoke my driving privileges and my home state has zero knowledge of it is beyond me, but hey... that's a thing.

I'm glad y'all have better experiences there. 1) you live there, and 2) you live there. :D

I like a whole lot of people from Virginia, and hey, the BRP is amazing. But I feel bad you guys have to live under that state's government. Or maybe you don't... .'cause you're not an out of state driver.

I'm just done with Virginia. It's fine. I'm not making shit up, and I can't give any more fucks what anyone thinks about it. :shrug: I don't expect anyone else to agree or care, but you're also not changing my mind, either. It's fine. We can all, in friendly fashion, agree to disagree on this topic. I've involuntarily given that state far, far more than my due.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2018, 11:53:58 AM »
Also, explain to me how going around a guy making a left turn, then turning a block later into a gas station, never getting beyond walking speed is reckless driving? From a rinky-dink-small-town cop who clearly had nothing better to do than beat up on a guy from out of state. Reckless? Fuck that.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2018, 01:29:39 PM »
My guess is that no matter your (or my) opinion of it, the move was "illegal" and pulling you over was justified (although perhaps somewhat prick-ish).  After that if he finds you have unpaid tickets/ other fees, well that is 100% on you.....just my opinion of course.  remember ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
Also, explain to me how going around a guy making a left turn, then turning a block later into a gas station, never getting beyond walking speed is reckless driving? From a rinky-dink-small-town cop who clearly had nothing better to do than beat up on a guy from out of state. Reckless? Fuck that.

For what it's worth, it looks like you got hit with this...

§ 46.2-857. Driving two abreast in a single lane.
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives any motor vehicle so as to be abreast of another vehicle in a lane designed for one vehicle, or drives any motor vehicle so as to travel abreast of any other vehicle traveling in a lane designed for one vehicle.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter8/section46.2-857/

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
Oh, I paid the ticket.
What was never told to me was that there was a separate fee that needed to be paid as a "license reinstatement fee" (read as: fucking worthless piece of shit extortion for out of state drivers) to allow me the oh-so-grand privilege of driving in Virginia again, and so on the next visit down there, when I went around the stopped car, and pulled into the gas station to give that state money voluntarily, and was ticketed for some bullshit or another, the courthouse actually ZERO record of that reinstatement fee being sent to me or added in any of my paperwork, and yet it STILL led to a $664 visit to the court house, which blew my entire riding vacation budget, and we went home early, and kinda ruined the whole weekend for everyone.

How the hell one state can revoke my driving privileges and my home state has zero knowledge of it is beyond me, but hey... that's a thing.

I'm glad y'all have better experiences there. 1) you live there, and 2) you live there. :D

I like a whole lot of people from Virginia, and hey, the BRP is amazing. But I feel bad you guys have to live under that state's government. Or maybe you don't... .'cause you're not an out of state driver.

I'm just done with Virginia. It's fine. I'm not making shit up, and I can't give any more fucks what anyone thinks about it. :shrug: I don't expect anyone else to agree or care, but you're also not changing my mind, either. It's fine. We can all, in friendly fashion, agree to disagree on this topic. I've involuntarily given that state far, far more than my due.

WOW!
$664.00
For a "license reinstatement fee" from a state that didn't license you to drive, WOW.

At least now I know why you feel as you do.
  I have to agree, legalized extortion. >:(

Chris, thanks for sharing this information.  :thumbsup:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2018, 04:59:53 AM »
Oh, I paid the ticket.

WOW!
$664.00
For a "license reinstatement fee" from a state that didn't license you to drive, WOW.

Here we go again.  Posting pure BS.  A license reinstatement fee in VA is $150.00 unless a DUI then it's more.  But keep posting away info for the most part has been fairly incorrect. 

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2018, 08:03:30 AM »
How do they even have the power to take away your license? They didnt issue it.
that my friend sounds like absolute bullshit right there. Oh hey we're going to charge you money to give you back something that we didn't have the fucking right to take in the first place. That right there is the bullshit.

Fucking cops.
Is he gone yet?

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
Oh, I paid the ticket.

WOW!
$664.00

Here we go again.  Posting pure BS.  A license reinstatement fee in VA is $150.00 unless a DUI then it's more.  But keep posting away info for the most part has been fairly incorrect.

Um. There may have been interest involved? The fee started at $150 and probably accumulated interest.

Can we all just back away from the internet for a bit?
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »

It's legally described in the transportation code in TX. Using the "improved shoulder" to go around a stopped/left-turning vehicle, for slower vehicles to move over to let traffic around, and to use as a right-turn lane to allow other traffic to pass as you make your turn. I would have used that as my explanation for thinking every state was standardized on that code.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/transportation-code/transp-sect-545-058.html

« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2018, 11:22:44 AM »
that my friend sounds like absolute bullshit right there. Oh hey we're going to charge you money to give you back something that we didn't have the fucking right to take in the first place. That right there is the bullshit.

Fucking cops.

Every state has the right to suspend your privilege to drive in their state.  They are not actually suspending your license.  Lose that privilege and you need to get it reinstated, in every fucking state.

Offline Baxter

• Motorcycles: Soon to be a classic First Generation Ninja 650R
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »

Fucking cops.

Every state has the right to suspend your privilege to drive in their state.  They are not actually suspending your license.  Lose that privilege and you need to get it reinstated, in every fucking state.

I suspect that each of the states has a reciprocity law regarding drivers licenses where any state's final legal action is deemed to be effective in the home state.  For example, ND law provides:

39-06-27. Suspending licenses upon conviction, suspension, or revocation in another jurisdiction.
1. The director may suspend or revoke the operator's license of any resident of this state or the privilege of a nonresident to operate a motor vehicle in this state upon receiving notice of the conviction of that individual in a tribal court or in another state of an offense, which if committed in this state would be grounds for the suspension or revocation of an operator's license of an operator. The director may act on a report of a conviction in tribal court received from any tribal law enforcement agency. This section may not be construed as authorizing the assessment of points against a resident's driving record in accordance with chapter 39-06.1, except upon conviction of a resident driver for a criminal offense in a tribal court or in another state which is equivalent to one of those offenses defined in section 39-06.1-05. A suspension or revocation may not be imposed for convictions for driving under suspension or revocation on an Indian reservation or in another state if a valid operator's license from this state was in effect at the time of the violation. For purposes of this section, originals, photostatic copies, and electronic transmissions of the records of the driver's licensing or other authority of the other jurisdiction are sufficient evidence even if not certified copies.
2. Upon receipt of a certification that the operating privileges of a resident of this state have been suspended or revoked on an Indian reservation or in any other state under a law providing for the suspension or revocation for failure to deposit security for the payment of judgments arising out of a motor vehicle accident if under circumstances that would require the director to suspend a nonresident's operating privileges had the accident occurred in this state, the director shall suspend the license of the resident if the resident was the driver of a motor vehicle involved in the accident. The suspension continues until the resident furnishes evidence satisfactory to the director of the resident's compliance with the laws of the Indian reservation or the other state relating to the deposit of security or payment of a judgment arising out of a motor vehicle accident, to the extent that compliance would be required if the accident had occurred in this state.

I broke the internet!

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »
Delaware is like  :twofinger: , Virginia. I went to the DMV on another matter, and the guy laughed when he saw the suspend request on my thing. "Yeah, we don't don't do that here." Apparently Delaware's reciprocity is not renowned for being all-inclusive. They also don't allow any other state's CCW, yet it's police-friendly open carry here.  :headscratch:

Well, the license reinstatement fee and the reckless I JUST FUCKING TOLD YOU ABOUT came to $664 (or immediately thereabouts). But yes, by all fucking means, you keep calling me a liar when you weren't even involved. Please. Yes, by all fucking means.

Here's how you handle something that doesn't sound right to you when you're not involved...
"holy shit. I've never heard of that before."

See? you don't sound like an utter fucking douche when you just admit you weren't fucking involved, and don't fucking know.

I'll use small words.

ticket before
didn't know reinstatement fee
reckless for pulling around a stopped car <---- BULLSHIT money grab, right there.

reckless + reinstatement + mandatory court date and costs. ~$660

fuck

I'll stop there, because you're not worth getting banned over.

Oh, I paid the ticket.

PS... people call Wilmington "murder city". I live in Wilmington. You know what...? I can't fucking argue what's true. My panties ain't all bunched up about it. I just don't live in that part of town, and I avoid it. Also, it's all drug-on-drug and all gang-on-gang violence. Kinda like out of state vs in-state drivers. :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:56:15 PM by chornbe »

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »

the "privilege" to drive in a state is apparently locally regulated regardless of which state issues the license.

that leaves room for each state to say, "sorry, where you're from, your license ain't good here. get out, or go to the dmv and get a one for here, too"

This country and it's per-state bullshit is antiquated and dumb in this kind of context, but hey... then I guess I sound like some socialist asswipe, so I'll just let that all go.

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
So, f- Virginia then.

Come to New England.
Is he gone yet?

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2018, 03:07:48 PM »
I'm not allowed to say that any more.

And I do love me some New England.

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »
Why, Fluffy catch you tapping some skank named Virginia?
Is he gone yet?

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2018, 04:42:29 PM »
This whole thread boils down to one thing:

Telling Virginia that there's no Santa Clause.

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2018, 06:08:51 PM »

Fucking cops.

They don't but they do have the right to revoke your driving privileges in that state.  You can pay to play or not go back, your choice.

And that is the legislature and motor vehicle department, not the cops.  And I was was one of those fucking cops for 26 years.

Working nights, weekends and holidays to keep people safe.  I pulled people outta lakes & rivers, did CPR on kids and grandmas and arrested child and wife abusers.

SO FUCK YOU ASSHOLE
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT