Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chef's knife  (Read 4120 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Re: Chef's knife
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2020, 08:43:10 PM »
That's interesting.  I bought a really high end Buck hunting knife with Titanium oxide coating - it gets sharpened on one side, but it also came with lifetime sharpening.  Sharpest knife I have ever owned.

I find this thread completely fascinating.  I continue to look at quality chef knives, but have yet to pull the trigger.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2020, 05:19:31 AM »
I've been in the market myself for a good Chef's knife for awhile- maybe this will finally get me to pull the trigger.  A fluted one would be great for the veggies- I have a couple of cheaper ones  that do the job, but they need sharpening more often and I need to be careful to only use it on nylon or similar surfaces. 

Now sharpening- I'm a fan.  I like my blades razor sharp.  I have used the rod-guided system for years, until this was recommended to me:
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Sharpening-Repeatable/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539657424&sr=8-1&keywords=work+smart+knife+sharpener
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's crazy.  The first electric sharpener I have ever used that gives an edge as good of better than the rod sharpening system.  I have been VERY impressed with it!

I don't know much about these sharpening systems, but I have read articles indicating it is possible to generate too much heat when using one. This high and localized heat can effect the temper of the blade.

That being said, I think as long as you aren't grinding the shit out of a blade, it's probably fine.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2020, 07:57:24 AM »
if you actually read, and follow, the directions they work very well.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2020, 08:30:55 AM »
Heat is the enemy of any edge being sharpened with mechanical assistance. Whether it's your favorite Damascus blade or the edge on a planing iron. Sharpening and grinding wheels (now belts) have been used for years. Just keep some cutting fluid handy and use it as a coolant (often) and work in small increments.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:59:27 AM by Bounce »

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
oops
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2020, 08:31:12 AM »
dupe

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »
if you actually read, and follow, the directions they work very well.

This is key with this system.  It's very easy to use this without generating heat, that's why it works well, it's a belt system, not a disk system, so the belt stays cooler as long as you follow the directions and keep the blade moving over the belt in a smooth pass and don't hold it still or run back-and-forth.

If you misuse it, you absolutely can ruin the temper of the blade.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.