Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fuel Additive / Treatment  (Read 323 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
Fuel Additive / Treatment
« on: October 15, 2018, 01:28:15 PM »
I've been a big fan (user) of SeaFoam fuel additive / treatment for years.
I like that it stabilizes the gas and/or could be used at a higher dosage to clean the fuel system / engine.

But I just found out about another product;  STA-BIL 360 Performance (22264)
It stabilizes fuel.   It cleans the fuel system / engine.
AND... it prevents ethanol fuel related damage.   This is the "360 Performance" product.

Notes
SeaFoam (SF) is used @ 1oz / gal fuel (for stabilization / maint.)
Sta-Bil (S-B) is used @   1oz / 5 gal

SF stabilizes fuel for 2 yrs - S-B is for 1 yr
S-B does not have a 'cleaning' dosage

SF can be used in the oil - right before an oil change.

I'm switching to S-B for fuel stabilization -   The best price I found is Amazon (10 oz).
I will continue to put a cleaning dose of SF into a half-tank of my engines about once a year.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw
Re: Fuel Additive / Treatment
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
I was never a believer in these snake oils, but one year my snow blower wouldn't idle when I got it out in the fall. Added some Sea Foam to the fuel and let it run. I would have to turn the throttle down  a little every 5 minutes or so and after 25 minutes it was running perfectly?? been sold on Sea Foam ever since.
These days the few things I "put away for the season" all have plastic tanks so I empty them, drain the carb and give it a shot of WD-40 and never have any problems. 

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
I've used Sta Bil. Works great and good for cleaning fuel systems-but there is always a risk of dislodging dirt and it then moving from somewhere it does no harm to somewhere it does.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »
I too have had an anecdotal cleaning experience with Seafoam that sold me on it.  That said, I still drain the carbs in the fall before storage.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online OldButNotDead

• Motorcycles: 2014 FJR13000A 2016 R1200GS LC
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »
I've used Sta-Bil, Sea Foam and Star Tron.  Really don't know how they work because I run my bike all year round and it doesn't get all that cold in SC for long periods of time.  I do know that I checked mileage using Star Tron and there was an improvement.  Just a bit better to pay for a bottle of the stuff.
It isn't the destination; it's the ride.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »
I've been using Sta-Bil Marine (the blue stuff) when storing my bikes ever since we started having E-10 fuel.
Regular Sta-Bil (the red stuff) doesn't prevent phase separation in E-10 fuels.
What's different with this Sta-Bil 360 (the orange stuff)?
Ride safe!

Online OldButNotDead

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »
I've been using Sta-Bil Marine (the blue stuff) when storing my bikes ever since we started having E-10 fuel.
Don't know anything about the color coded additives but where I live the gas mix varies big time.  Spartanburg, SC has a fuel distribution complex that services the coastal plain and what they call the upstate.  I notice a significant difference between gas from that complex and the gas in N.C.  Of course there are seasonal mix changes too.  If I was worried about storing my bike I would run the tank down or drain it and fill it to the brim with non-alcohol fuels, is that E-0  :o  In my opinion, the alcohol allows more water to be in your tank which ain't good.  Sta-bil and the others are supposed to deal with that.  In my not so humble opinion, if you can run your bike every couple of weeks, that's the best thing you can do.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »
Don't know anything about the color coded additives but where I live the gas mix varies big time.  Spartanburg, SC has a fuel distribution complex that services the coastal plain and what they call the upstate.  I notice a significant difference between gas from that complex and the gas in N.C.  Of course there are seasonal mix changes too.  If I was worried about storing my bike I would run the tank down or drain it and fill it to the brim with non-alcohol fuels, is that E-0  :o  In my opinion, the alcohol allows more water to be in your tank which ain't good.  Sta-bil and the others are supposed to deal with that.  In my not so humble opinion, if you can run your bike every couple of weeks, that's the best thing you can do.

I understand your point and yeah, I try to stick to E-0 but it's unfortunately not available everywhere.  So the next best thing is fuel stabilizer.
Up here it's not if I can get the bike out for a ride but rather when my last one will be.  Usually, it's around mid November if we're lucky. Most bikes are already in storage. Only the fateful ride until the last possible day.
The bikes get their winter maintenance, oil, filters, valves, brakes, etc. Then they're stored until late March or April.
Running them every few weeks is out of the question. We might get one or two good riding days during that time but the streets are covered with salt.
And idling the bikes in the garage is a no go.
Most of us then suffer from PMS. Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.  :lol:
Ride safe!

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 04:14:48 AM »
All my junk is new enough to run on E10.  Just fill it up and forget about it.   :shrug:

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »

STA-BIL 360 Performance (22264)
 prevents ethanol fuel related damage. 
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »
I generally don't let stuff sit long enough to be a problem, but when I do - bikes, and the small-engine stuff if I can't easily drain the carbs and tank - then I use stabil, and empirically, it seems to do a fine job.

this signature on hold pending review

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 03:04:35 PM »
Same here. Stabil red in the tank at Winter hibernation, then Seafoam in the first few new tanks after revival in the Spring. Seems to do a pretty good job keeping the fuel viable, then cleaning up the fuel system after the fact.

I have used Techron at a couple points for fueling cleanup. Seems to do the trick on intermittent misfiring and general carb crudiness.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '08 Wee & an overweight Connie
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 05:56:22 PM »
All my junk is new enough to run on E10.  Just fill it up and forget about it.   :shrug:

Water can still split out of E10 if it sits long enough. 
Can’t say how long it takes because it hasn’t happened to me yet
And you ride a LOT MORE frequently than I do.

An ounce of StarTron in the Connie when it gets really cold or when it sits long is cheap insurance. 
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online OldButNotDead

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »
You are right Skee.  From my chemistry degree which I never used except for BS on oil threads LOL, alcohol is miscible which means water and alcohol mix. That makes it harder to get water out of the fuel lines and tank.  Gas and water separate.  There was a time when you could drain the water out of the tank through the petcock.  Those days are gone. One of the good things with modern gas is that it really doesn't break down like in the old days and varnish up stuff (that tidbit of technobabble came from a petroleum engineer over on the FJR Forum before he got banished to outer darkness).

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »
Seafoam, use to use Stabil , but the foam does keep the intake track cleaner.Learned that with the old Speed triple.Most run of the mill fuel is sparse ( read fed mandated min) on detergent additives, top tier fuel (Like Costco Sells ) has the max you can use , and it does make a difference in high mileage engines ( which I seem to have all the time). Less deposits on valves and in the intake itself.My 2 cents. I buy Seafoam at Rural King cheap and use it at any more than 2 week storage .
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.