Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Traffic ticket after a crash...  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Formerly Known as Bigfoot

• Motorcycles: 04 Yamaha RSV
Re: Traffic ticket after a crash...
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2018, 05:19:44 AM »
Fuckin' cops.

but they're here to help.  :csm:

Really guys?  You need to take this route based on what one officer did?  This officer may have been following orders and didn't even want to issue this summons.

Orders from other....

cops?     :P ;D

Seriously, I get what you're saying.  Not all cops are bad.  It's simply the principle.  Garry's ticket is a pure revenue play.   That's not "protect and serve" move, it's a revenue move and a dick one at that.

Must be nice to have the entire story and know the entire pic from where you sit.  When I started with my PD in 79 we had standing orders that someone was to be charged in every accident/crash as someone was at fault.  Maybe nothing reckless or intentional but still at fault.  Road was wet?  Then the speed limit may not be justified.  Sand on the road?  Too fast for conditions.  All kinds of possibilities.  This policy was loosened over the years as many took the feeling that in a single vehicle crash the person was already going to be paying for this through additional insurance, medical bills and so on.  And who knows.  Officer may have evidence where the charge was justified.  But what do I know.  Just a fukin cop here.

OK I get what you are saying. Not the officers fault, his department told him to write a ticket no matter what, afterall he is just following the law. Sounds more like the department policy was to generate revenue and punish everyone ..  Yep protect your job and serve the punishment.

To write a ticket for an accident you did not witness is just revenue enhancement, and bullshit

That's your opinion and that's fine.  No matter how wrong it is.  We didn't follow this policy for many years for income.  It was taught that someone was in the wrong and a possible punishment is needed.  If you knew how little my large agency ever saw from income on arrests it would surprise you.  An officer can only place the charge.  Not find you guilty.
If Stupid Could Fly you'd be a Jet.

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2018, 07:38:34 AM »
In Connecticut local agencies make $ZERO from tickets or fines. In fact if the officer is subpoena to court it costs them. Bosses want tickets to show activity not to make money.
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »
In Connecticut local agencies make $ZERO from tickets or fines. In fact if the officer is subpoena to court it costs them. Bosses want tickets to show activity not to make money.

Because an increase in the budget of 10% needs to show an increase in activity of at least 10%. The net result is a claim that crimes have gone up 10% so an increase is needed in the budget. It's a spiral. It's intentional (at the administration level) and it is about money.

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2018, 12:21:40 PM »
I have decided to plead Not Guilty and have my day in traffic court. I know that I can't "prove" there was oil or some similar substance in that corner from all the heavy truck traffic, but I will state my case and then ask for the ticket to be reduced to a "no points" violation such as  "failure to comply with traffic control device". Pay the fine and get on with my life. I think that I have a near 100% chance of that outcome occurring. I have lots of vacation days left over that I'm not going to use for long-weekend bike trips :-(

I figure that I don't need the vehicle damage claim AND a moving violation hitting my insurance. The license points go away in a year, but God only knows how long an insurance rate hike will take to go back down.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
Hi all - late to the thread - and sorry for your wreck.

Id fight it - not because on the 2 pts and $90 - but because of the next one just around the corner.  They come in bunches for me and although 1 on the record is no big deal - you are always one sneeky speed trap or traffic camera away from #2 and that is when things go south.  If you try to address #1 now then #2 can be a much lessor deal.

In the past I have asked for a postponement a few times and 1/2 the time the cop never showed up so it went away.

Good luck and heal fast.  Think young thoughts...
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2018, 02:17:59 PM »
Hi all - late to the thread - and sorry for your wreck.

Id fight it - not because on the 2 pts and $90 - but because of the next one just around the corner.  They come in bunches for me and although 1 on the record is no big deal - you are always one sneeky speed trap or traffic camera away from #2 and that is when things go south.  If you try to address #1 now then #2 can be a much lessor deal.

In the past I have asked for a postponement a few times and 1/2 the time the cop never showed up so it went away.

Good luck and heal fast.  Think young thoughts...

In many places you're entitled to one continuance only.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »
PA is not California.

Offline 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2018, 06:31:16 PM »
This is all very funny.  Pay $95 and move on with life.
And your insurance goes up $2000 total over the next 3-5 years.

Fight every ticket IMO, or see if traffic school is an option to keep points off.

My brother high-sided an R90/6 at 25 in a 25, single vehicle accident, tore ACL/MCL, got a pulminary embolism and almost died, and the cop went to the hospital to give him a ticket for "too fast for conditions."

Thanks bro.
My hovercraft is full of eels

Offline oilhed

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2018, 06:38:58 PM »
Because an increase in the budget of 10% needs to show an increase in activity of at least 10%. The net result is a claim that crimes have gone up 10% so an increase is needed in the budget. It's a spiral. It's intentional (at the administration level) and it is about money.

You have no idea how it works in rural Connecticut. The battle is not to get more money for more cops & more stuff. It’s to get enough money to replace the cops you already have and replace or repair the cars you already have. Working overnights in a town of 15,000 residents with two cops, one supervisor and a single 911 operator wasn’t a revenue scheme.

MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2018, 11:35:26 PM »

You have no idea how it works in rural Connecticut. The battle is not to get more money for more cops & more stuff. It’s to get enough money to replace the cops you already have and replace or repair the cars you already have. Working overnights in a town of 15,000 residents with two cops, one supervisor and a single 911 operator wasn’t a revenue scheme.

That sounds like a revenue game, collect funds just to pay the bills. Thanks for being honest, not a common trait in your profession.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2018, 04:16:15 AM »

Fight every ticket IMO, or see if traffic school is an option to keep points off.

It's obvious you didn't read the whole thread.  I've had several speeding tickets and have only seen my insurance go down every year since having a vehicle.   ;)

I'm pretty sure having a great credit score is much more important than not having a few speeding ticket as far as insurance companies are concerned.  Of course YMMV as every state/ins co/blah blah blah is different.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »

Must be nice to have the entire story and know the entire pic from where you sit.  When I started with my PD in 79 we had standing orders that someone was to be charged in every accident/crash as someone was at fault.  Maybe nothing reckless or intentional but still at fault.  Road was wet?  Then the speed limit may not be justified.  Sand on the road?  Too fast for conditions.  All kinds of possibilities.  This policy was loosened over the years as many took the feeling that in a single vehicle crash the person was already going to be paying for this through additional insurance, medical bills and so on.  And who knows.  Officer may have evidence where the charge was justified.  But what do I know.  Just a fukin cop here.

C'mon, nothing personal.  I get that the issuing officer was likely following orders.  And this may very well be law to issue a ticket in a single vehicle accident.  I'm just saying, in principle, why would it (in theory) be a requirement a ticket be issued for this?
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline oilhed

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »
C'mon, nothing personal.  I get that the issuing officer was likely following orders.  And this may very well be law to issue a ticket in a single vehicle accident.  I'm just saying, in principle, why would it (in theory) be a requirement a ticket be issued for this?

If you want an honest answer I have heard that some places it's because if you wanna fight a ticket you go to court
But if you wanna fight a warning or accident report that assigns blame you go to the cop's boss or a local politician

Years ago I gave out parking tickets in a snow storm AFTER calling the registered owner and they refused to move
The method to fight that ticket was before the town council who took the voter's side - I'd prefer going to court
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »

If you want an honest answer I have heard that some places it's because if you wanna fight a ticket you go to court
But if you wanna fight a warning or accident report that assigns blame you go to the cop's boss or a local politician

Years ago I gave out parking tickets in a snow storm AFTER calling the registered owner and they refused to move
The method to fight that ticket was before the town council who took the voter's side - I'd prefer going to court

Do I understand correctly that issuing a ticket after a single vehicle crash is a CYA move?
Don't the limited liability laws already do that?  :headscratch:
Ride safe!

Offline 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »

It's obvious you didn't read the whole thread.  I've had several speeding tickets and have only seen my insurance go down every year since having a vehicle.   ;)

goodie for you. That has not been my experience. I have 800+ credit score FWIW
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »
Insurance is weird. my 21 year old daughters car insurance went down this time even though I received a letter that she was no longer eligible for the good driver discount due to a speeding ticket?

Offline BuckeyeRider

• Not all who wander are lost.
  • Motorcycles: A Little 'Un
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2018, 05:51:30 PM »
Insurance is weird. my 21 year old daughters car insurance went down this time even though I received a letter that she was no longer eligible for the good driver discount due to a speeding ticket?

Probably because she turned 21....

Insurance company rates are based upon:

your age
your zip code  (population density, claims frequency, theft rates, cost of repairs all goes into it)
your driving record
your claim history (multiple not at faults will count against you too....)
your vehicle
you credit score (sometimes)
your home ownership (sometimes)

If you're a clean adult driver with a sensible car and good credit score when you start with a company, they'll typically put you in a "preferred tier".  It usually takes a bit more to get you kicked out of a preferred tier than it does to keep you out of one.

That's why you can have *an* accident, or *a* speeding ticket or whatever and your rates not go up, you're still in the "preferred" tier.

Have that second accident , or a ticket and a first accident and suddenly your dropped into a regular tier, and oh, btw, your gonna lose that accident free discount as well and your rates suddenly went up 60%.... or doubled and more if you get dropped into a "substandard tier"...

That's why I would always recommend fighting a ticket or ruling at fault if it all possible. It might not affect your rates now, but get one little additional moving violation and your rates can skyrocket. (and you'll likely not qualify for anyone else's preferred tier, so you're screwed for however long your state allows insurance companies to track violations.

Rates are filed per company, by the way (except North Carolina... everyone just pays higher rates there) and per state. A company that does business in all 50 states will have to file separate rate structures for every state they do business in (and have to justify those rates based either on industry loss experience or their own unique experience).

North Carolina sets the rates for auto and home insurance. That's why there's fewer insurance company options there, a lot of companies just choose not to do business there. New York is a pain in the ass to file rates, so again fewer carriers... Michigan doesn't allow companies to cancel people except on biannual renewals, so again, fewer companies do business there and rates tend to be higher. PA does some funky things too.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »
Every state is different.  If I had a good driving record & was with one of the better insurance companies, I'd pay the ticket here in PA.

I only went to traffic court once.  What I observed was that folks who paid an attorney got off, folks who represented themselves lost; 100% of the time regardless of circumstances.  Your experiences may differ. 

Last time I got a ticket - 3 points in PA - my insurance went down next year.  Past Performance Is Not Indicative Of Future Results.

Might be worth your while to talk it over with an insurance agent.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline oilhed

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »
Do I understand correctly that issuing a ticket after a single vehicle crash is a CYA move?

That's not what I said.  It's about where and how the defendant can fight the ticket or warning.

At least a court is impartial, well kinda or at least transparent.
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2018, 08:35:07 AM »
In regard to insurance rate increases, you may (or may not) find a surcharge rate schedule in your policy agreement.

My insurance company publishes their surcharge schedule.  It's a combination of ticket points and/or $ claims.  I've been told there are other factors that influence it, such as credit score, policy size and claim history, but the published schedule is worst case.  I have to get at least 2 tickets and one claim in one year to initiate a hike.  So a single ticket for a claimed accident would not penalize me.  Seems fair.

whether or not you believe what your insurance company says is another question.  I've heard some horror stories but we've always had good luck.  Old neighbor had his policy completely canceled after his wife's second accident.

worthwhile seeing if your company publishes a surcharge rate schedule.

Anyway, time for you deciding whether or not you want to fight it may have already passed.

Glad to hear you are doing better, and on a positive forward looking note, hope to see you again at another meet.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2018, 08:51:19 AM »
Discussing proper procedure for insurance is a pretty greasy topic. Every area, company, driver, etc., makes it a unique experience, each time.

Sadly.

Discussing the "right" thing to do about the ticket is also pretty involved, as each person needs to weigh their risks in keeping the points, paying the monies, going to court, etc.

For me, personally, I'd put insurance and money aside, and fight to have the points removed. Everyone has their own perspective.

Also, many states these days *DO* trade points, report incidents, and share driver records. But it's inconsistent. What's 1 point in one state might be 3 in another. One state may drop off 1 point a year, where other states might drop 3 points in 2 years, and yet others retain points in total for 5 years, while yet more might make you take a driver's course, wipe your points clean, or not, and so on and so on and so on. And some states only share points and information in one way, but maybe not the other.

So yeah... just decide for yourself, Garry. I can tell you that PA trades in some directions with some states, and the points are different between DE and PA, DE and VA, and VA consumes EVERYONE's points because it's a fucking police state that all of humanity should avoid... but that's another topic :)

Good luck.
this signature on hold pending review

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2018, 07:19:00 AM »

That sounds like a revenue game, collect funds just to pay the bills. Thanks for being honest, not a common trait in your profession.

:rolleyes:

Offline oilhed

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »

:rolleyes:

I was speaking from a budget point of view. In Connecticut $ZERO from tickets or fines goes to the local agency.  It all goes to the State general fund.

I’m not sure how many cops you know. But I know quite a few and they were honest people. The chiefs and politicians are another story. 
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
I’m not sure how many cops you know. But I know quite a few and they were honest people. The chiefs and politicians are another story.

I've known quite a few over the years and my experience is that those I really knew have been good people. But they are also a product of their training and briefings. After years of exposure, there are certain topics where they tow the company line in the face of new facts to the contrary. It's human nature but it's also the chink in the armor of otherwise good people.

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »
Had my day in traffic court. Cop was a young guy and a bit of a hard ass. We talked outside the courtroom first and he was going on about how he could have written me up for a bunch of things but was being nice for only writing one ticket. I told him my side and that I was hoping for a change to a no points violation. He said the judge would have to decide that.

So we're sitting in the waiting room and it's like 20 minutes past the hearing time and he comes over and offers a no points change which means no hearing, just some paperwork. I'm OK with that. The official ticket is for failing to stay in my lane.

We're still sitting there waiting (magistrate is still busy on the phone) and an older trooper asks what happened. He is from the area and says that that section of road is known to be like ice when wet. The cop that wrote me up was not from the immediate area. Lots of accidents. He believes it to be environmental from the hillside right next to the lane. So that provides some closure that it wasn't me being stupid.

Bottom Line: No points and no increase in fine. I'll take it.

2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:52 PM »
Probably the best outcome for you.  Not bad at all.

Offline Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Online CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
Had my day in traffic court. Cop was a young guy and a bit of a hard ass. We talked outside the courtroom first and he was going on about how he could have written me up for a bunch of things but was being nice for only writing one ticket. I told him my side and that I was hoping for a change to a no points violation. He said the judge would have to decide that.

So we're sitting in the waiting room and it's like 20 minutes past the hearing time and he comes over and offers a no points change which means no hearing, just some paperwork. I'm OK with that. The official ticket is for failing to stay in my lane.

We're still sitting there waiting (magistrate is still busy on the phone) and an older trooper asks what happened. He is from the area and says that that section of road is known to be like ice when wet. The cop that wrote me up was not from the immediate area. Lots of accidents. He believes it to be environmental from the hillside right next to the lane. So that provides some closure that it wasn't me being stupid.

Bottom Line: No points and no increase in fine. I'll take it.

Congrats man.  I continue to think most cops are great people who for the most part have to do what they're told ("if there's a crash you write a ticket").  You probably got him to think it through a bit, and he saw the benefit in changing things up.  A good ending.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
everybody loves a....   n/m   :-[
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »
You probably got him to think it through a bit, and he saw the benefit in changing things up.  A good ending.

Or the "Hot Now" sign lit up.

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »

Online CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2018, 08:54:16 PM »
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2018, 02:49:20 AM »
You probably got him to think it through a bit, and he saw the benefit in changing things up.  A good ending.

Or the "Hot Now" sign lit up.

*Snort
Is he gone yet?

Offline oilhed

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2018, 09:57:37 AM »
Good deal Gary.  Glad to hear you're getting around, too.
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2018, 10:05:19 AM »

NOTE: If you get a ticket in PA, there is usually a $45 surcharge added (amount can change based on violation) but the surcharge is NOT to be added to a motorcycle ticket. Just a heads up in case you get a ticket and they mistakenly add that charge. See Title 75, subsection 6506, paragraph a.

I made it downstairs to actually have band practice in the garage last night. That was good fun. I crashed just as the new band was getting some momentum learning new songs and felt bad that I had set our progress back a month. We're trying to have a full night of music ready for January.

And I get to play a gig this Saturday with the band I play bass in. Although we haven't practiced in well over 6 weeks, they sent me a set list, and I will show up (wife driving and schleping gear for me) and will just sit in a chair and make low notes all night. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house and doing "normal" stuff even if I can't walk yet.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »

NOTE: If you get a ticket in PA, there is usually a $45 surcharge added (amount can change based on violation) but the surcharge is NOT to be added to a motorcycle ticket. Just a heads up in case you get a ticket and they mistakenly add that charge. See Title 75, subsection 6506, paragraph a.

I made it downstairs to actually have band practice in the garage last night. That was good fun. I crashed just as the new band was getting some momentum learning new songs and felt bad that I had set our progress back a month. We're trying to have a full night of music ready for January.

And I get to play a gig this Saturday with the band I play bass in. Although we haven't practiced in well over 6 weeks, they sent me a set list, and I will show up (wife driving and schleping gear for me) and will just sit in a chair and make low notes all night. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house and doing "normal" stuff even if I can't walk yet.

We definitely need a 'like' button. Very encouraged on your progress and success fighting the ticket.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:42:33 PM by viffergyrl »
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2018, 12:20:11 PM »
Well done on the ticket and glad to hear you're getting around better.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:05:52 AM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
this signature on hold pending review

Online DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »
Most Excellent updates!!!
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »
Glad to hear all this good stuff  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Scottzilla

• Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, Tuono, 600 pound dirt bike
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2018, 11:48:49 AM »
As screwed up as NY is we don't have to put up with silly crap like what Garry went through. 
If the cop doesn't witness the accident he can't write you up for anything (Except for the usual license, ins, registration stuff).   
That's quite a glitch in the law imo.

Oh, and Garry if you read this-sorry about the accident but glad you are getting better.  I saw some threads and will continue to read through them.  Surely you bought a V4 Tuono, eh?   

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2018, 01:14:40 PM »
As screwed up as NY is we don't have to put up with silly crap like what Garry went through. 
If the cop doesn't witness the accident he can't write you up for anything (Except for the usual license, ins, registration stuff).   
That's quite a glitch in the law imo.

Oh, and Garry if you read this-sorry about the accident but glad you are getting better.  I saw some threads and will continue to read through them.  Surely you bought a V4 Tuono, eh?

The Tuono V4 is on the radar screen. Some deals on leftovers to be had out there.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »

[/quote]

The Tuono V4 is on the radar screen. Some deals on leftovers to be had out there.
[/quote]

Exotic, Italian, V-4, 175hp and IMO the best sounding motorcycle ever made--what's not to like, other than maybe all the attention it will receive everywhere you go 8)

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2018, 08:37:04 PM »
Exotic, Italian, V-4, 175hp and IMO the best sounding motorcycle ever made--what's not to like, other than maybe all the attention it will receive everywhere you go 8)

Limited fuel range. My 950 SM-R was good for about 115 miles before the fuel light and maybe 25 after that. It was a PITA planning rides around stopping for gas every 100 miles.

I found I really liked the 200+ mile fuel range on the 1190. And I regularly used most of it in one sitting. Riding for 4 hours before stopping for fuel was nice, as that was right about lunch time.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2018, 09:17:43 PM »

Limited fuel range. My 950 SM-R was good for about 115 miles before the fuel light and maybe 25 after that. It was a PITA planning rides around stopping for gas every 100 miles.

I found I really liked the 200+ mile fuel range on the 1190. And I regularly used most of it in one sitting. Riding for 4 hours before stopping for fuel was nice, as that was right about lunch time.

For sure mpg/range sucks, but she is one sexy beast.  I love researching and getting any new bike, it's all part of the fun--Good Luck.