Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting  (Read 250 times)

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Interesting
« on: October 11, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »
Mahindra were going to relaunch BSA and Jawa in 2016 but it seems definite for next year.

https://www.autopromag.com/2016/10/mahindra-launch-jawa-bsa-bikes-globally-2019.html
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
Re: Interesting
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »
I wonder if they'll "pull like a tractor"?

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:22:22 AM »
Mine never did and the build quality was awful but it was quick for a 250.

https://www.jawamotorcycles.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=SMM&utm_campaign=Social-Engine-Reveal

Online Patmo

• Motorcycles: 2007 FZ6, 2014 Ninja 650
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »
Jawa was never a brand that was well known or popular in the US, but BSA certainly was.   As it stands, the US market is currently pretty saturated with bikes.  There are far more bikes available, then there are riders looking for them.  Any introduction of new bikes/brands into the US market should be aimed not at most current bike owners/riders, but at those that may have a desire to either try it out, or are looking to relive their past.  A small bike, that is cheap to buy, cheap to use, and has styling that is appealing, has a chance of succeeding.  But only if it evokes a passion for ownership.  we will see what happens, but the odds are stacked against it.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:31:09 AM »
There is a (small) market for 'something different'.
I'm amazed at the popularity of Groms - it's created a genre.  I've read posts on social media that dealers were sold out.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »
This is just riding the popularity of the name with 70 year old dudes who have fond memories of BSAs. Meh.

(note: the meh isn't about BSAs, it's about reusing the name with zero links to the originals. Worked ok for Triumph, but I think they're a unicorn)
this signature on hold pending review

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
Jawa was never a brand that was well known or popular in the US, but BSA certainly was.   As it stands, the US market is currently pretty saturated with bikes.  There are far more bikes available, then there are riders looking for them.  Any introduction of new bikes/brands into the US market should be aimed not at most current bike owners/riders, but at those that may have a desire to either try it out, or are looking to relive their past.  A small bike, that is cheap to buy, cheap to use, and has styling that is appealing, has a chance of succeeding.  But only if it evokes a passion for ownership.  we will see what happens, but the odds are stacked against it.

the main market is likely to be Asia, where the odds are in its favour, I'd say.

Online biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso, a few Yamahas, a BMW GS, and all subject to change!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 09:49:47 AM »
A small bike, that is cheap to buy, cheap to use, and has styling that is appealing, has a chance of succeeding.  But only if it evokes a passion for ownership.  we will see what happens, but the odds are stacked against it.

CSC seems to be trying this business model. We've heard good things about them and I hope they do well.

Offline minimac

• Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 06:59:24 PM »
...Jawa was never a brand that was well known or popular in the US, but BSA certainly was....
Jawas were awesome motocross/scramble bikes and, at least where I lived and raced, outnumbered BSAs and Triumphs 3-1.