Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Graübunden Glory!  (Read 322 times)

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
Graübunden Glory!
« on: September 27, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »
Ok, this isn't much of a ride report, but I'll toss some photos up here, and then eventually I'll get around to writing up more on what, when and where.

Meanwhile, for your entertainment:

I took a weekend ride to the other side of the country last weekend. It was beautiful weather, but waaaaay too much traffic. I had mixed feelings about it then, but now that I reflected on it,  it was a good ride.

Flüela Pass
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The village of Scuol

Our hotel in Tarasp (no, not the castle :D )

Back over Flüela Pass

On the way to Oberalp Pass

Göschenen Pass

I'm not sure how many more weekends I'll be able to ride through the mountains, so it was good to get out even if I did have to fight the traffic almost the entire time.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Jim

• Contributor
Re: Graübunden Glory!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:20:27 PM »
Last pic is interesting - way fun.

Second to last pic - center of pic to upper left quadrant - I see a horizontal line on the mountainside. Is that a road you took or just some old path (looks too consistent of an incline to be 'just a path').
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 12:37:27 AM »
Last pic is interesting - way fun.
Usually fun, but the only reason I could get the photo this time was because traffic was so slow, I had time to whip out the camera  :redface:

Second to last pic - center of pic to upper left quadrant - I see a horizontal line on the mountainside. Is that a road you took or just some old path (looks too consistent of an incline to be 'just a path').
There is a road there, but not the main road. I think that it is a mountain access road that is closed to "unauthorized" vehicles.
I'll check to see if I have a photo that shows the roads up there better. Trust me: I check out those "other roads" every time I go over this pass  :D

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 12:21:05 AM »
I'm getting slower in my old age, and not just on the bike  ;)  I finally finished up this ride (and it was only a weekend!) but there are a lot of photos and some other stuff thrown in.

Link for the curious

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 05:55:24 AM »
Is this fairly late in the year to be able to take on Mountain passes?

Next, let's talk traffic for a moment.  How is traffic there?  Do people move out of the way or get upset when passed?  It was mixed in Ireland and I suspect the people upsetting me were American tourists.  :lol:   Then again, there were occasions when lorries would hold up long lines of traffic without pulling over.

Traffic is becoming a major bummer to me lately on rides.  It may be me, but it appears I'm seeing more of it and they're more aggressive when it comes to (a) not getting passed and (b) upset when you do pass them.

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »

Next, let's talk traffic for a moment.  How is traffic there?  Do people move out of the way or get upset when passed?  It was mixed in Ireland and I suspect the people upsetting me were American tourists.  :lol:   Then again, there were occasions when lorries would hold up long lines of traffic without pulling over.

Traffic is becoming a major bummer to me lately on rides.  It may be me, but it appears I'm seeing more of it and they're more aggressive when it comes to (a) not getting passed and (b) upset when you do pass them.

My experience with passing on mountain passes in Europe has been similar to yours.
Locals will usually yield or drive like hell. Tourists have no clue.

How do you know it's a tourist in front of you? The smell of burnt brakes.  :rolleyes: :lol:
Ride safe!

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »

How do you know it's a tourist in front of you? The smell of burnt brakes.  :rolleyes: :lol:

:lol:   Truth
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »

Not really. Dan and I left for our Croatia trip about the same time last year and while we did run into a little snow near Stelvio Pass, it wasn't anything too bad. It can change from day to day though, so you just need a good window of opportunity  8)   Actually, one of my favorite rides ever in the mountains was taken on October 19th a few years ago. There was fresh snow on the hills, but the roads were clear and no one else was there, because they figured that it was too late  ;D

The traffic depends on where and when you are. The usual passes will always be busy on a weekend, and of course busier on a holiday or really nice weather weekend. Sometimes there are just so many cars/trucks that it is pointless to really try to get around them. But for the most part, I'd say that the locals expect you to pass, and will sometimes make it easier for you. I find that the business vehicles are the least likely to be nice (stupid vans  :angry:  )  No one ever has ever reacted to my passing or even lane splitting - at least that I've noticed  :augie:  Then again, I am not a maniac rider like some of the squids who patrol the mountain passes....

Ha! So very, very true!

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »
My experience with passing on mountain passes in Europe has been similar to yours.
Locals will usually yield or drive like hell. Tourists have no clue.

Actually, that's been the case a few times: I'm out lallygagging and checking out the scenery only to notice that someone has come up behind me and would like to go faster. I usually either pick up the pace or, if the road is particularly technical and I don't want to be rushed, I'll pull over for them.  :shrug: