Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Low mileage used bike concerns  (Read 266 times)

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
Low mileage used bike concerns
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »
I'm buying an '08 bike (BMW F00ST) that has less than 5K miles.
It has a new battery (last yr) and I will replace the tires before riding it in the rain.
I will change the brake fluid and replace the brake lines if there's any 'sponginess' to the brakes.

Is there anything else I should be concerned or cautious about?
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
Re: Low mileage used bike concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
Critters in the airbox. Dried-out various bits of rubber here and there, including fork seals.

Don't wait for sponginess; do the hydraulics, regardless. Don't not do it. Part of brake fluid's job is to encapsulate moisture. It's as much a multi-faceted liquid as engine oil. (part of engine oil's job is to carry particulates to the filter, and to stabilize engine casing/head temperature).

Replace the tires regardless of weather (presuming they're that old). They've aged out and won't heat-cycle properly, will be harder, possibly cracking, and simply will NOT have the traction you want them to have; again, regardless of weather.

Mildew in the seat foam might be a thing if the garage was humid. * shrug *

Check all available connections, and clean where necessary. Look for critter-chews on the wires.

Wash the bike gently; it's very possible that some grit is all in the paint's surface. Clean it, rub it down, wax it.

Clean and dry-lube key locks.

Probably change the drive belt. At the very least, it'll have shape affinity.
this signature on hold pending review

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 10:47:04 AM »
Check the date code on the tires before you throw money at new.  Originals?  Yeah, change.  The PO may have put new tires on in the past couple years.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
Don't wait for sponginess; do the hydraulics, regardless. Don't not do it. Part of brake fluid's job is to encapsulate moisture. It's as much a multi-faceted liquid as engine oil. (part of engine oil's job is to carry particulates to the filter, and to stabilize engine casing/head temperature).

Check all available connections, and clean where necessary. Look for critter-chews on the wires.

Wash the bike gently; it's very possible that some grit is all in the paint's surface. Clean it, rub it down, wax it.

Clean and dry-lube key locks.

Probably change the drive belt. At the very least, it'll have shape affinity.
Akk, I badly grammered that one.  I WILL be changing the brake fluid.  Then.. I will monitor for sponginess.

Good call on connections. Is there a shade tree substitute for dielectric grease? 

I've already got the part # of the aftermarket belt and have links to 2 videos on changing it.  I don't understand the belt tension adj. process - I hope it becomes clear when I actually try to do it.   I've read a very wide variety of belt life.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 11:36:43 AM »
Check the date code on the tires before you throw money at new.  Originals?  Yeah, change.  The PO may have put new tires on in the past couple years.
Yea, I know about tire date codes. The tires are original.  Yea, I shoulda put that in my original post.
I'm gonna go with a Shinko on the rear - I've got one on my Ninja 650 and I never think of it, which is a good thing.  Still deciding on the front...

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »
Um, so.....

:needpics:
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »
A marched pair of Virge 016 shinkos will treat you right.
this signature on hold pending review

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
Dielectric grease is about $6 a tube.  It’ll last you the rest of your life.  Don’t cheap out.   ;D

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
Fresh gasoline if it's been kept in storage.
Ride safe!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »
Dielectric grease is about $6 a tube.  It’ll last you the rest of your life.  Don’t cheap out.   ;D

I hear spit makes for good lube. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »
Um, so.....

:needpics:
I will, when I actually get it.  After I ride it a bit, of course!

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 05:06:50 PM »
I've gone this far w/o it, and I'm not sure how much life I have left..  so don't wanna spend to much ifn' I don't have to.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know