Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Low mileage used bike concerns  (Read 357 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
Low mileage used bike concerns
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »
I'm buying an '08 bike (BMW F00ST) that has less than 5K miles.
It has a new battery (last yr) and I will replace the tires before riding it in the rain.
I will change the brake fluid and replace the brake lines if there's any 'sponginess' to the brakes.

Is there anything else I should be concerned or cautious about?
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
Re: Low mileage used bike concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
Critters in the airbox. Dried-out various bits of rubber here and there, including fork seals.

Don't wait for sponginess; do the hydraulics, regardless. Don't not do it. Part of brake fluid's job is to encapsulate moisture. It's as much a multi-faceted liquid as engine oil. (part of engine oil's job is to carry particulates to the filter, and to stabilize engine casing/head temperature).

Replace the tires regardless of weather (presuming they're that old). They've aged out and won't heat-cycle properly, will be harder, possibly cracking, and simply will NOT have the traction you want them to have; again, regardless of weather.

Mildew in the seat foam might be a thing if the garage was humid. * shrug *

Check all available connections, and clean where necessary. Look for critter-chews on the wires.

Wash the bike gently; it's very possible that some grit is all in the paint's surface. Clean it, rub it down, wax it.

Clean and dry-lube key locks.

Probably change the drive belt. At the very least, it'll have shape affinity.
this signature on hold pending review

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 10:47:04 AM »
Check the date code on the tires before you throw money at new.  Originals?  Yeah, change.  The PO may have put new tires on in the past couple years.
--Tom

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
Don't wait for sponginess; do the hydraulics, regardless. Don't not do it. Part of brake fluid's job is to encapsulate moisture. It's as much a multi-faceted liquid as engine oil. (part of engine oil's job is to carry particulates to the filter, and to stabilize engine casing/head temperature).

Check all available connections, and clean where necessary. Look for critter-chews on the wires.

Wash the bike gently; it's very possible that some grit is all in the paint's surface. Clean it, rub it down, wax it.

Clean and dry-lube key locks.

Probably change the drive belt. At the very least, it'll have shape affinity.
Akk, I badly grammered that one.  I WILL be changing the brake fluid.  Then.. I will monitor for sponginess.

Good call on connections. Is there a shade tree substitute for dielectric grease? 

I've already got the part # of the aftermarket belt and have links to 2 videos on changing it.  I don't understand the belt tension adj. process - I hope it becomes clear when I actually try to do it.   I've read a very wide variety of belt life.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 11:36:43 AM »
Check the date code on the tires before you throw money at new.  Originals?  Yeah, change.  The PO may have put new tires on in the past couple years.
Yea, I know about tire date codes. The tires are original.  Yea, I shoulda put that in my original post.
I'm gonna go with a Shinko on the rear - I've got one on my Ninja 650 and I never think of it, which is a good thing.  Still deciding on the front...

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »
Um, so.....

:needpics:
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »
A marched pair of Virge 016 shinkos will treat you right.
this signature on hold pending review

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
Dielectric grease is about $6 a tube.  It’ll last you the rest of your life.  Don’t cheap out.   ;D
--Tom

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
Fresh gasoline if it's been kept in storage.
Ride safe!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »
Dielectric grease is about $6 a tube.  It’ll last you the rest of your life.  Don’t cheap out.   ;D

I hear spit makes for good lube. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »
Um, so.....

:needpics:
I will, when I actually get it.  After I ride it a bit, of course!

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 05:06:50 PM »
I've gone this far w/o it, and I'm not sure how much life I have left..  so don't wanna spend to much ifn' I don't have to.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know