Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SS 1000 lessons from YT  (Read 1850 times)

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
SS 1000 lessons from YT
« on: September 09, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:23:12 PM by RBEmerson »
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
Re: SS 1000 lessons from YT
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
You've got an FJR, pretty much perfect bike for distance riding.  You're putting WAAAY too much thought into this.
IBA #37902

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
I just woke up early, rode for 1000+ miles that day stopping for gas several times along the way (combined with a Pepsi and piss break) and was home 17 hours later fresh as a daisy.  I manged to work a 1/2 hour fast food lunch in there as well.

I think the hardest part was stockpiling enough podcasts to listen to all day.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »
My first certified ride was about the same as CB's.  Left Detroit after a half day of work at noon, gas, go, gas, go, gas, go, rode to Lebanon, MO, arriving about 11PM.  Grabbed a motel room for 6 hours sleep and rode back to the Moonshine Lunch Rally arriving about 10AM.  1040 miles later, certified.  My packing involved an overnight bag and a credit card for the motels and food.  ;)

1000 miles ain't that hard.  The second day of a SS2000?  That introduces my fatigue.   ;D   It'll happen sooner or later.  I've finally got my perfect bike for this stuff.
--Tom

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 05:15:39 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:23:28 PM by RBEmerson »
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
"Sit there, twist that"

To which I'll add, ear plugs, camel back, you've got lots of time, relaxed easy pace. Anytime you lose while stopped is impossible to recover, so don't fuck around if the wheels aren't turning.

-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Patmo

• Motorcycles: 2007 FZ6, 2014 Ninja 650
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 07:10:55 PM »

20 hrs @ 50mph
18.2 hrs @ 55mph
16.7 hrs @ 60mph
15.4 hrs @ 65mph

Going fast enough is not really a problem on any bike that can run freeway speeds easily.  Avoiding mental and physical farigue is the only real challenge. 

It helps if you are the type of person that can enjoy time to themselves.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »

20 hrs @ 50mph
18.2 hrs @ 55mph
16.7 hrs @ 60mph
15.4 hrs @ 65mph

Going fast enough is not really a problem on any bike that can run freeway speeds easily.  Avoiding mental and physical farigue is the only real challenge. 

It helps if you are the type of person that can enjoy time to themselves.

Yep a SS1k is easily doable if you have a comfortable ride that will handle freeway speeds. 

RBEmerson you as usual are just too focused on the minute details. Yes there are some good info in your post, but don't overthink it. Now if you want to do a BBG 1500 or a 50CC now that is a challenge. Now I can understand the planning if you are on the east coast and have to deal with toll roads, come out a bit West and forget the problems. 
  Weather is always there, be prepared, wear layers. Have an electric liner. Stay hydrated, but not overhydrated, sip don't gulp. Have something to keep you entertained (audio books ROCK) Avoid riding in commute areas and times if at all possible. 

Most of all make sure the bike and you are happy with each other.   If you are not comfortable it is going to be a long ride. 
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 08:48:43 AM »
Dodn't lollygag at fuel stops. Get in, off, back on, and out as quickly as possible. 15 minutes it more than enough time.

Drink sips of water while underway. Snack from stores in the tank bag. Do NOT stop during a day trip for meals.

Time spent at ZERO MPH is very difficult to make up.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/tech/aow.cfm

Offline naustin

• Motorcycles: '16 FJR
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »
I did my first (unofficial) one by accident.   

I was on the way home from Jasper & Banff and planned to take two days to get home from the Missoula Area.    Got to Rapid City, and the weather was so nice, I kept going.   Got to Sioux Falls, and was only 3 more hours from home.    Ended up being 1200 miles in 19 hours.    Looked back at my camera and realized that I'd actually done a BunBurner 1500 based on where I was earlier the prior afternoon.

If I were going to do an official ride - I wouldn't be worried about the actual riding at all.   I'm confident I can crank off 1,000 miles bascially anytime (using mostly freeways) with no different ride prep than I do for my typical 500 mile day ride.   Where I'd be focused, is the details of the documentation.   That's what I'd screw-up, for sure....

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »
The speed and the distance aren't a problem.  I've done over 1000 miles in 24 hours in the truck pulling a 31 foot travel trailer from Colorado Springs to Evansville, IN.  The last couple hours was pretty horrible but on a bike, it wouldn't have taken me 20+ hours.  Prior to that, I was planning on riding from Kansas City to Frederick MD just to get home from a work conference.  I'd knocked out about 700 miles before I hit a traffic jam in Columbus OH that knocked the fight out of me.  I would have easily made it home by bedtime.  I wasn't very fatigued at that point.  I was doing Nascar gas stops and had tunes and treats to entertain me.  But, alas, I've never actually done it.  Mostly cuz I just don't care. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »
Dodn't lollygag at fuel stops. Get in, off, back on, and out as quickly as possible. 15 minutes it more than enough time.

Drink sips of water while underway. Snack from stores in the tank bag. Do NOT stop during a day trip for meals.

Time spent at ZERO MPH is very difficult to make up.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/tech/aow.cfm

Follow Bounces advice. Also, be ready, willing and able to abort. If aren't going to make it (fatigue, unforseen holdups etc), be willing to bail and retry another day.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 01:13:40 PM »
The speed and the distance aren't a problem.  I've done over 1000 miles in 24 hours in the truck pulling a 31 foot travel trailer from Colorado Springs to Evansville, IN.  The last couple hours was pretty horrible but on a bike, it wouldn't have taken me 20+ hours.  Prior to that, I was planning on riding from Kansas City to Frederick MD just to get home from a work conference.  I'd knocked out about 700 miles before I hit a traffic jam in Columbus OH that knocked the fight out of me.  I would have easily made it home by bedtime.  I wasn't very fatigued at that point.  I was doing Nascar gas stops and had tunes and treats to entertain me.  But, alas, I've never actually done it.  Mostly cuz I just don't care.

There's a big difference between a bike and car.  I've done both also.  Hell, I used to make long weekend trips home from Fort Walton Beach, Florida to Detroit as my first duty station.  You have no exposure to weather, air conditioning and heat, plenty of stretch room in the car and can carry a cooler of food on the seat next to you. 

A tank bag, Camelbak and a small windscreen to kill the biggest part of wind buffet will wear you out a lot faster.  ;)
--Tom

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 02:43:56 PM »
  I've done over 1000 miles in 24 hours in the truck pulling a 31 foot travel trailer from Colorado Springs to Evansville, IN.
sweet
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »
I've done a few.  Around mile 500-600 it starts to suck, but you get over the hump and it's cake.  The easiest direction is to head west- that way you ride in daylight almost the whole time.  The longest one was 1165 from Grand Rapids to Sturgis (non-rally time) left about 5 AM here, got there just after the sun set.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »

I find cars harder to do long distances. I can't stand up and stretch like on a bike
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:02:03 AM by Bounce »

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
delete
old enough to know better

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 06:00:20 PM »

I've done at least a dozen unofficial ( I don't need no stinkin' paper) on both my bikes and scooters. I just finished four within a three week period, out to Iowa and back again followed two weeks later going to Alabama and back(rain all the way home). I stop every 140-170 miles for fuel, before running too low, and take not more than about a five minute walkabout to stretch, clear the head, re focus, grab a snack or drink, and pee-not necessarily in that order.  If you find yourself getting tired or sleepy, STOP. Nothing, but NOTHING is worth risking a crash.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »
I've never completed one. started out with good intentions several times but then noticed a nice looking road and 3 hours later I'm standing at some look out with all hopes of a thousand mile day gone. the two closest have been:

750 miles in 11 hours, stopped for gas then had the idea of a "quick" burger at hooters. 3 hours later still at hooters :-[

750 miles from Durango to home in the rain, thought about taking the long way around but I'd had enough of the rain so took the direct route.

Perhaps I will give it another try one of these days.

the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »
There are a lot of people who I've seen say they've ridden unofficial IBA rides and I have no reason to doubt them. The documentation of the ride adds a level of complexity that I challenge them to take on. It does make the ride more challenging to those who think it's no big deal.

Offline naustin

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
There are a lot of people who I've seen say they've ridden unofficial IBA rides and I have no reason to doubt them. The documentation of the ride adds a level of complexity that I challenge them to take on. It does make the ride more challenging to those who think it's no big deal.

As I said in my post - that's the part I'd screw up!   ;D

So what's with all the deleted posts in this thread?   :shrug:

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 09:57:59 AM »

In well over  50 years of riding, I've never felt the need to have my rides "documented". My time stamped gas receipts and a witness or two isn't very challenging. I've just never needed a paper to verify what everyone who knows me knows, and that's how I sometimes ride. That's not to say I might not go through the process sometime- but it's just that it isn't important to me.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »

Mysterious thread is mysterious.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 12:40:46 PM »

They don't need documentation that they posted either.  ;)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 01:40:46 PM »

They don't need documentation that they posted either.  ;)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Baxter

• Newly retired--time to wear out some tires!
  • Motorcycles: Almost classic First Generation Ninja 650R
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »
My first IBA was a SS1000 on my 50th birthday.  I kinda screwed up and ate something at a gas station that wasn't agreeing with me, and fell behind my intended pace looking for clean restrooms.  But I completed the ride in the early morning hours.  If you're interested in a ride report:  https://www.riderforums.com/daily-ride/86403-50th-birthday-saddle-sore-1000-a.html

So, when opportunity next presented itself, I did a SS1000 and BB1500 combo ride just to prove that I could get the SS1000 right.  And I did.  And I also rode the Tail of the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway on this trip.  https://www.riderforums.com/general-ninja-650r/94009-tale-tail-dragon.html

Main lessons learned:  Follow the IBA's posted guidance, but when they advise to eat healthy, choose instead to only eat what you are familiar with so that you won't have a bad reaction to something new.  Keep moving, downtime cannot reasonably be made up by going faster (and the IBA will refuse to certify a ride if the times look like the rider was unsafe).  Headlight upgrades are a good thing, I bought brighter bulbs after the 50th birthday ride.  And really know your route in case you have to alter your plans.

And this is a link to the IBA's posted guidance:  http://www.ironbuttrally.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm
I broke the internet!

Offline naustin

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
PS - pulled the SS1000 on the first day of my recent 8 day tour of Colorado.   Ran into torrential rains 800 miles in and rode in traffic and blinding rain from Colorado Springs to Denver on the I-25. New Darien gear paid off!   Still made it in time for dinner, and did 300+ miles of canyon carving the next day, and 300-400 each of the following 5 days until slabbing 800 miles back home on a more direct route.  The FJR made it too easy.  Got all the paperwork completed, receipts, and pictures of receipts with odometer mailed in last week.  Looking forward to adding that plate frame to the bike to compliment the new Mt. Evans sticker! 8)

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2019, 06:55:17 AM »
Congrats. Now get that paperwork in!

One way to save time is to lower your standards and drop "clean" from your search for bathrooms.