Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 221352 times)

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
Re: What did you learn today?
« Reply #1600 on: May 14, 2019, 10:37:05 AM »
Consent Forms signed by Parents / Legal Guardians?

No explicitly stated. Bet they do now.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #1601 on: May 15, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »
Another biggie is cell phone yappers having private conversations in public places.

oh ya. A friend and I were out for lunch and the lady next to us was having a loud phone conversation so my friend begins to chime in. "i wouldn't take that" " I'd tell him to screw off" etc.  the woman pauses her conversation , looks at him and say's "excuse me, this is a private conversation, do you mind?"  his reply was "Exactly! so why don;t you have it in private instead of sitting next to me while I'm trying to eat"   she got up and left.....

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #1602 on: May 15, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »
I learned that Nigel Farage was a Nazi when he was younger. Actually. I never knew this before.

national-front by James Lloyd-Williams, on Flickr
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #1603 on: May 15, 2019, 03:06:54 PM »
Must be the shared "N" and "F"

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #1604 on: May 15, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
Must be the shared "N" and "F"

perspicacious

Offline jimmy

« Reply #1605 on: May 15, 2019, 05:54:24 PM »
Quite amusingly, I needed to look up the definition!  8)

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #1606 on: May 16, 2019, 02:03:04 PM »
Knee follow up:

-Saw the surgeon on Monday.  He referred me for PT after bending and twisting the knee a bit. Added naproxen to the daily regimen 2x a day for inflammation.

-Saw the physical terrorist today. She remembered me from my 2008 rotator cup injury.  After the evaluation and looking at the doctor’s notes on the surgery, all she asked was why wasn’t I sporting metal? The degradation was enough to justify it. 
An
yways, pain is localized to the medial cruciate ligament because inflammation. Four weeks of therapy scheduled to rebuild strength and stability. She stuck some sort of special Kinesio athletic tape on and that seems to help a bit.  Ice all morning after and it's fine for now.  I work a four hour late shift tonight at my request.  Repeat all tomorrow.  PT, cut grass, work.
--Tom

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #1607 on: May 16, 2019, 05:32:26 PM »
Quite amusingly, I needed to look up the definition!  8)

Please cease perseverating on your nescience.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #1608 on: May 16, 2019, 09:07:46 PM »
Today I learned that fresh water stingrays are a thing. I truly had no idea. Cool.
this signature on hold pending review

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #1609 on: May 16, 2019, 10:33:25 PM »
Today I learned that fresh water stingrays are a thing. I truly had no idea. Cool.

I also learned that today. Just now. Who knew that was a thing? Not I.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1610 on: May 17, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »
-Saw the surgeon on Monday.  He referred me for PT after bending and twisting the knee a bit. Added naproxen to the daily regimen 2x a day for inflammation.

Good luck.

Did Naproxen for a while. It's prescription-strength Alieve. Now I just do 2 extra-strength otc Alieve and am prescribed Tramadol for my knee and neck... which I use rarely (last refill is still about half full from being filled two years ago). I have finally dialed in a dose that doesn't keep me up all night (half a tab when needed). My reaction to opioids is to become hyper. My stay after neck fusion had be on the morphine drip. I was awake all night and quite the Chatty Kathy.

Please cease perseverating on your nescience.

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #1611 on: May 17, 2019, 10:08:06 AM »
I stay away from opioids myself, they make me nauseous. When I got a few feet of my colon removed they had me on a morphine drip for a few days but that was really painful so justified I guess.

My days of eating 4 or 5 Vicodin's with a couple of shots of whiskey are long gone I'm afraid. 
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #1612 on: May 17, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »

My days of eating 4 or 5 Vicodin's with a couple of shots of whiskey are long gone I'm afraid.

getting old sucks.... but, I guess it beats the alternative.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #1613 on: May 26, 2019, 06:14:29 PM »
Wet tires, a wet metal grated bridge, and trying to pass a car is a bad combo.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #1614 on: May 26, 2019, 06:36:02 PM »

Are you ok?
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.
« Reply #1615 on: May 26, 2019, 07:01:02 PM »

Are you ok?
He is both older, and wiser, so...qualified "yes".
 ;D
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow: any deviation has ramifications". - Internal Combustion, explained.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #1616 on: May 26, 2019, 07:03:14 PM »
More importantly, is your bike okay?
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1617 on: May 27, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »
I learned that the crappy-grouping Fusion .308 165gr ammo was still good enough to reliably ring steel out to 650 yards. I had to move to more stable ammo (Federal Berger Juggernaught 185Gr) that then got me out to 750 yards.

It was my first trip to the long range area. Shooters have to qualify with a 1MOA 5-shot group at 250 yards first. Once out there, you have to qualify at 500 yards to get out to 1000. The RO volunteered to be spotter and we walked out to 650 yards in 50 yard "steps". 1 shot, 1 hit to 500, the 5 shot qualifier, then onward. Out past 650 started seeing the 15+ mph wind (from 280º and gusty) affect POI significantly. The Fusion started hitting all over the place at those distances; far left once and far right another without wind as a reason. We figured it was the rounds becoming unstable when they dropped back down transonic.

Another shooter (Army brother) jumped in at 600 and started calling wind correction in Mils to the RO's inch corrections.

At 750 yards I was ringing steel consistently but neither spotter could tell exactly where the strikes were. We could all hear it. BOOM.... wait for it... PING. Fun that, when they could see the hit, they'd call it with a pause after calling it before we'd hear the strike.

Did hits out to 650 yards without adjusting the turrets; just mildot hold overs.

Have never shot past 300 meters and only in the Army using an M16A1 with iron sights (and 19 year old eyes). My hunting was done within 200 yards because of environments. That made yesterday special.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:46:48 AM by Bounce »

Online sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #1618 on: May 28, 2019, 05:32:42 AM »
The bike is fine and so am I. For me the term is Flat Tracking. So now anytime the rear steps out I went Flat Tracking. I did it again yesterday but in a different spot and sand and gravel were involved.

Here are 2 pics from yesterday before Flat Tracking.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
« Reply #1619 on: June 06, 2019, 09:14:18 AM »
His mother was 40 years old when Jesse was born. Jesse grew up in a very rough home in Morgantown, West Virginia. Jesse’s father, who was mentally ill, was a violent man and was abusive to Jesse. At 13, his father died leaving his mother to take care of him and his brothers. At the time, things weren’t easy for Jesse and he didn’t think life held much hope for him.
While Jesse had his struggles, he had dreams too.  He wanted to be a ventriloquist and he found books on ventriloquism. He practiced with sock puppets and saved his money until he could get a real ventriloquist dummy.
When he was old enough, he joined the military. The army recognized his talents and placed him in the entertainment corp. He toured the western Pacific Islands as a comedian as part of a G.I. variety show called "Stars and Gripes.”  He honed his comedy and confidence while entertaining soldiers.
In 1946, he discharged with rank of Technician Grade 5, which was the equivalent then of a Corporal. During his military service, Jesse was awarded the World War II Victory Medal, Philippine Liberation Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (with 4 bronze service stars), Army Good Conduct Medal, Marksman Badge (with an M1 Carbine) and Honorable Service lapel pin.
Through his military service, Jesse found that he had a talent for making people laugh.
In spite of his early struggles, Jesse became one of the best-loved characters of all time. For it was Jesse... Jesse Don Knotts, who is better known as; Barney Fife.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline stevent

« Reply #1620 on: June 06, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »

In spite of his early struggles, Jesse became one of the best-loved characters of all time. For it was Jesse... Jesse Don Knotts, who is better known as; Barney Fife.

That's pretty interesting. I never could stand the son of a bitch but it looks like he was a pretty solid guy after all. Just goes to show how much that generation had to overcome, from hardscrabble beginnings to war service to go on and lead normal lives. I guess it makes us all look like a bunch of nancies in comparison.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online Cookie

• Contributor
  • You do not want me as moderator.
« Reply #1621 on: June 06, 2019, 06:18:50 PM »

That's pretty interesting. I never could stand the son of a bitch but it looks like he was a pretty solid guy after all. Just goes to show how much that generation had to overcome, from hardscrabble beginnings to war service to go on and lead normal lives. I guess it makes us all look like a bunch of nancies in comparison.

Mr. Limpet!
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1622 on: June 06, 2019, 09:36:30 PM »

Mr. Limpet!
Mr Furley
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline stevent

« Reply #1623 on: June 07, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »
I learned I can buy parts direct from the manufacturer in Deutschland in Euro's, convert that to US dollars and pay shipping and still save a considerable amount of money. Plus no sales tax or VAT for goods shipped outside of the EU.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for shops making money but we're talking some pretty healthy mark-ups here, and I'm just a common working man.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1624 on: June 07, 2019, 09:29:12 AM »
Link?

Offline jimmy

« Reply #1625 on: June 07, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »
I learned I can buy parts direct from the manufacturer in Deutschland in Euro's, convert that to US dollars and pay shipping and still save a considerable amount of money. Plus no sales tax or VAT for goods shipped outside of the EU.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for shops making money but we're talking some pretty healthy mark-ups here, and I'm just a common working man.

Any risk of Import Duties or Tariffs?

Offline stevent

« Reply #1626 on: June 07, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »
No tariffs that I could see. My account was charged the same $197.03 that I penciled out on the website

The parts I bought were specifically from MV Motorrad -Technik Gmbh, sold here as M-Verholen. I bought a lowered rider foot rest that uses the OEM footrests, and a 22mm mandrel for the front wheel, both parts plus shipping came to $197.

The lowering kit alone, sourced here runs $220 and up. A front wheel mandrel is available from Tourtech for $10 but it's not the same tool and I don't think it's the same quality (sip of Kool aide here) plus tax and shipping.

At the current $1.12 USD per Euro that's around a $40. price difference total. so nothing to sneeze at IMO     

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #1627 on: June 07, 2019, 01:36:57 PM »
I learned that most food poisoning from BBQs doesn't come from the uncooked chicken-it's the stuff cooked earlier and left to warm on the side for hours that's the risky stuff.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1628 on: June 07, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »
I learned that buying factory memory is often much more costly than doing an after-the-fact upgrade (when end-user upgrades are possible with the design). I also learned that the 3 DIY videos were all pretty close on their time estimates.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1629 on: June 09, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »
Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt Jr., the son of President “Teddy” Roosevelt, was the oldest man to hit the beach on the D-day invasion. He was also the highest ranking person to directly participate in the beach landing invasion. He was supposed to be with the other command staff in England. Gen. Roosevelt knew the importance of the mission, he knew much of the invasion force were new, untried soldiers who had never seen combat. His requests to join his men were repeatedly denied, but he persisted, even when his superiors told him he faced near certain death.

He was granted permission after explaining how his presence would inspire confidence in the invasion plan. The Commander of the Allied Forces, General Eisenhower, wrote Roosevelt’s eulogy before the invasion.

On the morning of the attack, as he requested, Gen. Roosevelt was in one of the lead landing craft. He led his men across the beach to a rally point under heavy fire. Being pinned down, it appeared they were going to be wiped out. Roosevelt took charge and led a move over the sea wall.

At that time, he realized other troops were trapped back on the beach, and cut off. He returned to the beach and led these men to join the attacking force. He repeated this action several times, under heavy fire.

For these actions, he received the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Offline thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #1630 on: June 10, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »
Trusting people is often regrettable.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1631 on: June 11, 2019, 09:13:33 AM »
https://www.westernjournal.com/l/amandathomason/star-trek-actor-scotty-actually-d-day-war-hero-known-craziest-pilot

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #1632 on: June 11, 2019, 01:41:32 PM »

I can't be trusted.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #1633 on: June 11, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »
45 tons of gravel doesn't go very far on a driveway..... ???
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1634 on: June 12, 2019, 11:48:48 AM »

I can't be trusted.
I can be trusted

Sometimes

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1635 on: June 12, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »

Offline stevent

« Reply #1636 on: June 13, 2019, 09:09:03 AM »
45 tons or 45 yards? that's quite a bit either way.....

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #1637 on: June 13, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »
tons, but my driveway is a 1/4 mile long so it sounds like a lot but isn't really... I put 100T on it 2 years ago but the wet spring this year was hard on it.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #1638 on: June 13, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »

Meh...two truck loads.  Not much at all once it his the ground

Offline stevent

« Reply #1639 on: June 14, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »

Meh...two truck loads.  Not much at all once it his the ground

no, I guess not. I live in a development so my sense of scale is off. One ten yard dump truck of any material is all I ever buy.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.
« Reply #1640 on: June 14, 2019, 06:00:34 PM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Up to four trucks carrying avocados are stolen every day in the violent Mexican state of Michoacán, as organized crime groups seek to take advantage of consumers’ seemingly insatiable appetite for the fruit.
Avocado packers and exporters took out newspaper adverts on Friday to decry a worsening security situation in the state, which has long been a battle ground for warring crime factions.
The banditry has become so severe that packing plants have promised to pay growers 15 pesos a kilogram (78 cents) for any avocados stolen during the transportation.

“It’s impossible to continue taking these losses,” the advert said. “Failing to stop the theft of these lorries will have an irreparable impact on the avocado industry.”

Mexico’s avocado sector has boomed over the past 20 years as demand from consumers in the US and beyond has proved insatiable. Eighty per cent of US avocado imports come from Michoacán, which was also the testing ground for Mexico’s militarised war on drugs that launched in 2006.

As the violence grew worse, self-defence groups and community police forces were formed as local communities in the region sought to defend themselves. Some of those groups were in turn co-opted by organised crime, and most were eventually forced to disarm.

Mexico’s president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, took office six months ago promising a new strategy to fight crime, but violence has continued unabated across the country.

López Obrador has pushed for the creation of a militarised police known as the national guard – but the force’s first deployment will be to southern Mexico to stop migrants entering the country.

Friday’s newspaper advert “is but a sign of the overall, out-of-control criminal conflict in Michoacán”, said Falko Ernst, senior analyst Mexico for the International Crisis Group.

“There are at least 20 illegal armed groups violently competing for territories and markets in the state. Yet not a single actor has been able to establish dominion over the others. This means war has become perpetual and extremely costly” for the criminal groups, Ernst said.

“The avocado sector, a billion-dollar industry, after all, is too attractive [for armed groups] to pass up on, and producers and exporters are bearing some of the cost.”

David Agren -The Guardian
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow: any deviation has ramifications". - Internal Combustion, explained.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1641 on: June 14, 2019, 06:57:20 PM »
Spray 'em with paraquat.

Offline stevent

« Reply #1642 on: June 17, 2019, 09:59:55 AM »
Spray 'em with paraquat.

That'll fix 'em

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #1643 on: June 17, 2019, 01:54:07 PM »
TIL; shooting both barrels of the coachgun from the hip is a bad idea.
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Online CLAY

• I'm a duck and I don't even know it.
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #1644 on: June 18, 2019, 10:14:51 PM »

Is there video?  We need to see...
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Clay is a duck" -Cookie

Online coho

• Contributor
« Reply #1645 on: June 19, 2019, 12:11:53 AM »

Is there video?  We need to see...
:withstupid:

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #1646 on: June 19, 2019, 02:53:44 AM »
No video. Witnessed by my son.
There is really no way to grip the shotgun tightly enough.

A pic of the meat will have to suffice

It still hurts. Not the meat mind you, the dull throb from my thumb and wrist.

narcissistic d-bag, you.

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #1647 on: June 19, 2019, 02:54:42 AM »
Hi. My name is John and I do stupid things.
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Online Flyer

« Reply #1648 on: June 19, 2019, 05:26:05 AM »
Old news.
 ;)

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #1649 on: June 19, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »
 :lol:
Ride safe!