Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 308593 times)

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
Re: What did you learn today?
« Reply #1800 on: January 26, 2021, 08:11:53 PM »
Yes, yay for vaccines! my dad and my son in laws dad had shingles, not something I want to deal with!
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #1801 on: January 27, 2021, 10:01:14 AM »
I found out that the second Shingles shot really does hurt worse than the first.

Opposite effect for me.  But I knew someone with shingles, it was bad for her, so yea for shingles shots!

A 42 year old friend has it right now- the nerve above his left eye into his scalp.  He's miserable.  My second one comes the next time I have an appointment.  I'm thankful to be getting it.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #1802 on: January 27, 2021, 01:17:27 PM »
My sister-in-law, who is almost exactly my age (40) to the day, had it about 5 years ago. She was miserable, and I plan to get the vaccine when prescribed.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #1803 on: January 27, 2021, 01:17:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMXNRFxjHfs - fascinating.  smarter every day
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #1804 on: January 27, 2021, 06:01:16 PM »
My daughter got it in her 30s. Not a good thing for anyone who gets it.

That "above the eye and into the scalp" got my attention but then I realized it's not because of any shingles stuff. A side-effect of my C5, C5, C7 fusion was that, if I lightly draw my fingertips across my temple, it feel like I'm really doing it to eyeball; creepy like spider webs.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650
« Reply #1805 on: January 29, 2021, 01:38:05 PM »
The generic name of the covid-19 crowned balls is: virion  (plural virions)

(virology) A single individual particle of a virus (the viral equivalent of a cell).
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
« Reply #1806 on: January 29, 2021, 02:02:19 PM »
That "above the eye and into the scalp" got my attention but then I realized it's not because of any shingles stuff. A side-effect of my C5, C5, C7 fusion was that, if I lightly draw my fingertips across my temple, it feel like I'm really doing it to eyeball; creepy like spider webs.

OK, THAT just freaked me out, so I had to try it for myself!!! I had a C6 corpectomy, so my screws are in 5 and 7 and they're all fusing together. Doesn't seem like that's a universal side effect.
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1807 on: January 30, 2021, 05:18:54 AM »

OK, THAT just freaked me out, so I had to try it for myself!!! I had a C6 corpectomy, so my screws are in 5 and 7 and they're all fusing together. Doesn't seem like that's a universal side effect.

Yeah. I think it's just a thing for the one surgery and how I heal. C5-C6-C7 with "triple dogbone".

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #1808 on: January 31, 2021, 05:55:22 AM »
Never try to learn anything past half an empty wine bottle.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online stevent

« Reply #1809 on: January 31, 2021, 05:00:21 PM »
In vino veritas, wine is the best thing to open up the ol' brain cells and let the goodness flow in.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #1810 on: January 31, 2021, 05:22:35 PM »
Opening the flood gates over here, Boss!
 :beerchug:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 05:49:30 PM by Flyer »
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #1811 on: February 04, 2021, 08:06:13 PM »
...that I have a snow day tomorrow!
Let's do some science.

Online Flyer

« Reply #1812 on: February 04, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »
...that I have a snow day upper body workout tomorrow!
FXT
 :lol:

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
« Reply #1813 on: February 05, 2021, 10:28:06 AM »
FXT

I'm betting that Clay being a gearhead has power tools to handle that job.  Being on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan pretty much guarantees it.  Question is - do the Enticers come out of the garage for the true upper body workout...
--Tom

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #1814 on: February 05, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »
I learned that my local trash collection company has hollowed out the catalytic converters on my diesel garbage truck, or at least the one that services my house. Normally I am not home when they come by, but today I am. Sitting on the upper deck overlooking the ocean when up comes the garbage truck. I recognized the sound of the hollowed out Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) "cleair" hang on aftertreatment system (they run an older Cummins ISM and needed to put the system on to meet emissions standards, particulate matter and NOx reduction). At work we had over 100 of these systems on our older buses, they are long gone now. I got to be "the guy to call" when there were problems and as such got to see a lot of failures. When the substrate brakes away (vibration, age, or a hammer) the guts begin to fall apart. When empty they make an unmistakable hollow sounding roar. Just like the garbage truck that comes to my house.
  I doubt anyone in the area has a clue about this, who would? But now that I know this, wondering if I care enough to make a call...  It is a bit loud and kept me from hearing the soothing sound of the waves, birds chirping and a small private plane overhead. Naa don't care besides the truck has long gone. Maybe next week I'll feel differently after being stuck here in my room another week.    :fitz:
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Flyer

« Reply #1815 on: February 05, 2021, 04:53:45 PM »
...kept me from hearing the soothing sound of the waves, birds chirping and a small private plane overhead...
No problem.
(cough, cough)
That’ll all soon be gone.

We had a serious problem with those systems on fire apparatus; constantly failing tests, throwing codes, dropping into limp mode...
We kept at it, the manufacturer kept at it, and now they “work”, for the twenty miles or so that we use them each week.  :rolleyes:

Online stevent

« Reply #1816 on: February 05, 2021, 05:06:47 PM »
I learned that if I sign up for the American Legion (for $25.) I get a "free" folding knife. LOL such a deal!

They did give me a sheet of monogrammed 'Murican flag address labels so they'll come in handy I suppose.

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #1817 on: February 05, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »
FXT

I'm betting that Clay being a gearhead has power tools to handle that job.  Being on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan pretty much guarantees it.  Question is - do the Enticers come out of the garage for the true upper body workout...

Yes!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ch7xFbAhB6rmDBNq6

Mounted on my loader are 2 halves of a 55 gallon plastic barrel mounted end-to-end.  Moves now like a DREAM!  If it gets really deep I have a front mount 2 stage snowblower for it as well.  I just enjoy using the loader more.

I take care of my place, then across the street we have a single guy in his 60's.  I do his driveway too.  He's just a bit old to be out moving large amounts of snow.

Now I'm drinking.  A few beers, and now I have a hankering for something fruity/tangy...
Let's do some science.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1818 on: February 06, 2021, 09:36:29 AM »
I learned that some falls are funny.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/misc/pics/memes/YackityCrash.mp4

While some aren't.

Online Flyer

« Reply #1819 on: February 06, 2021, 09:53:39 AM »
Didja Bounce?
 :P

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1820 on: February 06, 2021, 09:12:18 PM »

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #1821 on: February 10, 2021, 04:15:09 PM »
At my orthopedic doc's office yesterday, I saw my fresh right knee x-rays.   :o   Lots of arthritis and damage to the joint compared to two years ago.  We conferred (I SAID KNEE REPLACEMENT NOW!!!) and it's finally happening.  CT scan required for Conformis to 3D metal print my custom joint/cutting templates on the clock for next week.  Surgery is somewhat firm on the calendar for March 29th.  3-4 months of convalesence and PT in my future, but it's gotta be better than the current situation.  Being stubborn and persistent, exercises will be slightly overdone.  <grin>

I despise stairs and running is totally off the menu of options. Just hoping I didn't do damage to the hips with the contortions while walking.  Everything from the waist down aches.

I ordered a stand to start riding my mountain bike in the family room and strengthen the muscles in both legs in prep for the intrusive cutting.  It's the least impact on the joints to condition muscles.

Hell, I may even be able to get back on a motorcycle again.  Nahhhh! 
--Tom

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #1822 on: February 10, 2021, 08:12:05 PM »
At my orthopedic doc's office yesterday, I saw my fresh right knee x-rays.   :o   Lots of arthritis and damage to the joint compared to two years ago.  We conferred (I SAID KNEE REPLACEMENT NOW!!!) and it's finally happening.  CT scan required for Conformis to 3D metal print my custom joint/cutting templates on the clock for next week.  Surgery is somewhat firm on the calendar for March 29th.  3-4 months of convalesence and PT in my future, but it's gotta be better than the current situation.  Being stubborn and persistent, exercises will be slightly overdone.  <grin>

I despise stairs and running is totally off the menu of options. Just hoping I didn't do damage to the hips with the contortions while walking.  Everything from the waist down aches.

I ordered a stand to start riding my mountain bike in the family room and strengthen the muscles in both legs in prep for the intrusive cutting.  It's the least impact on the joints to condition muscles.

Hell, I may even be able to get back on a motorcycle again.  Nahhhh!

I know a lot of people who've had this done, all have liked the results even if the recovery is a bit much.  You might be very happy with this. Especially given how extensive you describe your aches.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1823 on: February 11, 2021, 09:15:41 AM »
I had considered it until I lost 40% of my total body mass over the past 2 (and a little) years of weight loss.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #1824 on: February 11, 2021, 09:38:24 AM »
I had considered it until I lost 40% of my total body mass over the past 2 (and a little) years of weight loss.

That's a goodly amount of joint stress relief, Bounce!  Very nice work to get and maintain it.

My plan (fingers crossed) is to lose 10-15 pounds AGAIN, to get back to the 165# body weight range from just shy of 180 now.  I'm not a big guy @5'8".  COVID hibernation has not been good for my eating and exercise habits.  Being unable to walk distances hasn't helped either. More liquids, less solids for now.
--Tom

Online stevent

« Reply #1825 on: February 11, 2021, 05:40:55 PM »
A

I feel your pain, after getting pasted a few years ago basically everything from the waist down hurts. The bulged disc from last year healed after fervent tear filled prayers to Jesus. That's all I'll say about that. But the sciatica still crops up and my knees are bone on bone on one side and badly dislocated and kinda' healed on the other side plus one ankle was crushed and dislocated.

The best part is at 6 foot and 300(cough ahem cough)lbs the doctors say my BMI is too high to do anything on. On the plus side I spend most of my work day sitting and writing work orders and so forth, plus I got this dandy handmade black walnut cane from the Ukraine which I think lends a certain flair to my usual haberdashery.

Glass half full, silver lining, PMA etc.. 

Offline MrsCablebandit

• Pineapple Ponderings
« Reply #1826 on: February 11, 2021, 05:54:37 PM »
I learned a little bit about the AmeriCorps Watershed Ambassador Program while attending a webinar done by a young lady in NJ.

I also learned that my tolerance for the glottal stop (mout-IN versus mountain, buh-IN versus button) really seems to be a millennial trait and I don't know how to tactfully educate the young people I hear using it to "STOP FUCKING TALKING LIKE THAT, YOU SOUND LIKE A MORON!!!"

:gerg:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #1827 on: February 11, 2021, 06:07:45 PM »
I learned a little bit about the AmeriCorps Watershed Ambassador Program while attending a webinar done by a young lady in NJ.

I also learned that my tolerance for the glottal stop (mout-IN versus mountain, buh-IN versus button) really seems to be a millennial trait and I don't know how to tactfully educate the young people I hear using it to "STOP FUCKING TALKING LIKE THAT, YOU SOUND LIKE A MORON!!!"

Oh no you di - in
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Flyer

« Reply #1828 on: February 11, 2021, 06:16:37 PM »

Oh no you di - in

I love this place.
 :rolf:

Online stevent

« Reply #1829 on: February 11, 2021, 07:32:42 PM »

That does seem to be trending these days, and yes they sound like morons. Almost as stupid as British kids and their Jafackin accents.

Offline viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #1830 on: February 11, 2021, 09:37:50 PM »

Oh no you di - in

I love this place.

:withstupid:
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #1831 on: February 12, 2021, 06:59:14 AM »
I learned that my wife's tolerance for me talking like that is similar to yours, MrsCB.  Kinda like farts...  Seems funny at the time but a few seconds later, you learn the error of your ways. 

Offline MrsCablebandit

• Pineapple Ponderings
« Reply #1832 on: February 12, 2021, 10:49:39 AM »

Oh no you di - in

Quality. I tip my cap in your direction, sir!

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #1833 on: February 15, 2021, 03:10:46 PM »

Oh no you di - in

I love this place.

:withstupid:

:rolf:  I laughed WAY harder than I should have at "di-in"...
Let's do some science.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #1834 on: February 16, 2021, 09:11:23 PM »
Today I learned that our oceans are NSFW.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

From Wikipedia:Chaetopterus pugaporcinus, commonly known as the Pigbutt Worm or Flying Buttocks, is a species of worm first described by scientists at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in 2007.[1] The worm is round in shape, approximately 10 to 20 millimeters in length (roughly the size of a hazelnut), and bears a strong resemblance to a disembodied pair of buttocks. Because of this, it was given a Latin species name that roughly translates to "resembling a pig's rear."
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Flyer

« Reply #1835 on: February 17, 2021, 06:54:30 PM »
Gorillas are only human too.
https://youtu.be/6yB51vdkZAE

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650
« Reply #1836 on: February 19, 2021, 03:10:31 PM »
The inventor of the sports treadmill died at the age of 54.
The inventor of gymnastics died at the age of 57
The world bodybuilding champion died at the age of 41
The best footballer in the world, Maradona, died at the age of 60
-- while --
KFC inventor died at 94
Investor of Nutella died at the age of 88.
The inventor of Turkish shurmeh and Stake died at the age of 104
Inventor and cigarette maker Winston died at the age of 102
The inventor of opium died at the age of 116 in an earthquake.
Hennessy whiskey inventor died at 98
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #1837 on: February 19, 2021, 04:41:27 PM »
The inventor of the sports treadmill died at the age of 54.
The inventor of gymnastics died at the age of 57
The world bodybuilding champion died at the age of 41
The best footballer in the world, Maradona, died at the age of 60
-- while --
KFC inventor died at 94
Investor of Nutella died at the age of 88.
The inventor of Turkish shurmeh and Stake died at the age of 104
Inventor and cigarette maker Winston died at the age of 102
The inventor of opium died at the age of 116 in an earthquake.
Hennessy whiskey inventor died at 98

Cool!  I'd say let's party!   :beerchug:

But my guess is that some of the health nuts "self selected" like running guru Jim Fixx, who started running due to heart problems and eventually succumbed to a heart attack at 52.   :gerg:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online Flyer

« Reply #1838 on: February 19, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »
Just Jane.
(*contains suggestive nose-art)
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-56130157

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #1839 on: February 20, 2021, 04:50:21 AM »
the human brain is the only earthly object which has named itself.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1840 on: February 20, 2021, 08:59:37 AM »
18,500 btu kerosene heaters put out 0 btu when you fail to get k-1 before the need.

Online Flyer

Online Flyer

« Reply #1842 on: February 25, 2021, 08:13:53 PM »
 “the number 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.”
-Douglas Adams, A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
The Adams Effect:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/pole-shift-0014976

Online stevent

« Reply #1843 on: February 25, 2021, 10:12:18 PM »
I've learned I can't balance a checkbook to save my fekkin' life. I was off by $94. and I'll be damned if I can find it. I've went over everything 6 ways till Sunday all the way back to last August and I still can't find where I went off.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #1844 on: February 25, 2021, 10:15:18 PM »
I've learned I can't balance a checkbook to save my fekkin' life. I was off by $94. and I'll be damned if I can find it. I've went over everything 6 ways till Sunday all the way back to last August and I still can't find where I went off.

Under by $94: dammit, I suck at math.
Over by $94: woohoo, I suck at math!
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1845 on: February 26, 2021, 08:06:11 AM »
“the number 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.”
-Douglas Adams, A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
The Adams Effect:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/pole-shift-0014976

And it makes perfect sense when you get the question phrased properly. There's a concern that if the matching question and answer both existed at the same time, the world would be destroyed and replaced by something even more ridiculous. Some schools of thought believe this has already happened... more than once.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #1846 on: February 26, 2021, 08:46:31 PM »

Learned that to sell stuff quick, make it very attractively priced.

Cleaning office of spare computer parts and whole computers.  Me 'n eBay are getting to be good friends.  It's good I don't want top dollar for any of this stuff.  List it at a price plus shipping with the best offer option that gets it in the mail and off my desk.  Shipped a laptop, 64 gb of server memory, some golf gadgets and a Callaway driver today.  More memory going tomorrow since the needed bubble envelopes got delivered today.  The camper funding grows.
--Tom

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #1847 on: February 28, 2021, 12:11:18 AM »
I learned today that the highest point within the city of Los Angeles is over 5,000 feet in elevation.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries