Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 286031 times)

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
Re: What did you learn today?
« Reply #1700 on: October 11, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
Kinda what you did there

Yes. Because instead of asking, you could just look it up (like the rest of us), but we know you aren't trolling (right?), so that's why Skee said what he did.

Jeezus, tough audience here..no not trolling, just asking a question  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

**edit** Ok, I looked it up. No that's not what I was doing, I'd never hear the term before and I though maybe it was a local thing.

Real sealions are a fucking menace by the way, there really should be a bounty on them. Either that or teach our dumb-ass Orcas to eat them instead of insisting on salmon. Then the stupid fucks might not starve themselves, though I do admire their culinary restraints, sea lions probably taste like shit our we'd eat them. except for eskimos, but it's not like there's a Safeway on every ice berg up there so what else is there, but I digress..
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 03:24:39 PM by stevent »
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #1701 on: October 14, 2020, 10:14:29 AM »
I recently learned not to use standard punctuation on e-posts because youngsters interpret it differently than we do.

Don't unlearn proper writing. Their kink, their problem.

One question about Sealioning: When is it a valid epithet and when is the burden of proof on the shoulders of those making the claim? This seems to be an attempt to place the load on the reader instead of the author.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #1702 on: October 14, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
People just like to bitch. On a dirtbike forum every question is met with a dozen "jeez, not this shit again, do a search, google it"  followed, sometimes the same day, with " why is there no discussion on this forum?".   :facepalm:
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #1703 on: October 14, 2020, 04:12:25 PM »
One question about Sealioning: When is it a valid epithet and when is the burden of proof on the shoulders of those making the claim? This seems to be an attempt to place the load on the reader instead of the author.

As I understand it, sealioning isn't necessarily demanding support for a claim, although that is frequently done.  Sealioning is primarily intrusive demands to to engage in a conversation that the recipient would rather not continue.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online stevent

« Reply #1704 on: October 18, 2020, 12:34:02 PM »

As I understand it, sealioning isn't necessarily demanding support for a claim, although that is frequently done.  Sealioning is primarily intrusive demands to to engage in a conversation that the recipient would rather not continue.

So what exactly do you mean by that? do you have proof?

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: 

sorry, I couldn't help it! I owe you a beer  ;)
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #1705 on: October 18, 2020, 12:50:00 PM »
I learned that the timers on my condo's exterior lights were made before the last time that daylight wasting time was changed.  The timer's programing is supposed to take DST into account automatically, but they have been off by an hour recently with no good reason. Then I remembered that DST was changed and extended longer into autumn a while back, and so it appears the timers are still using the old dates as programming.

The instructions don't indicate any way for me to change this programming. Humbug!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #1707 on: October 22, 2020, 11:33:36 PM »

sorry, I couldn't help it! I owe you a beer  ;)

Someday I'm gonna do a moto tour and collect on all these promises of alcohol. 
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #1708 on: October 23, 2020, 05:22:38 AM »
Happy Mole Day, all you chemists!
https://www.moleday.org/
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online stevent

« Reply #1709 on: October 23, 2020, 09:30:26 AM »

Well isn't that a coincidence. My oldest granddaughter is studying microorganisms in school, from Antoine Van Leeuwenhoek's "wee cavorting beasties" in 1630 on up to the present day.

Not much of a coincidence really I guess, I just like saying "wee cavorting beasties"   :smiley_thumb:

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #1710 on: October 23, 2020, 03:27:36 PM »

Well isn't that a coincidence. My oldest granddaughter is studying microorganisms in school, from Antoine Van Leeuwenhoek's "wee cavorting beasties" in 1630 on up to the present day.

Not much of a coincidence really I guess, I just like saying "wee cavorting beasties"   :smiley_thumb:

He was quite single-minded in his study of microorganisms. The story I heard is that he rather exasperated his wife when he gathered certain samples.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby