Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Show Us Your Watches  (Read 4092 times)

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
Re: Show Us Your Watches
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2018, 08:26:19 AM »
Show us - we need inspiration...
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
I'll start with my daily beaters. There are Nixon Comp Chronograph Watch which retail for $60 in a rainbow of colors and can be had for $25 - $30 on fleabay depending on the color.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:59:56 PM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »
Maratac aviators watch. Self winding, no frills, big numbers that are easy to read.

Timex Expedition chronograph

Timex Expedition WS4 (wide screen) chronograph, barometer, temperature, altimeter, compass

Offline DNA

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »
Maratac aviators watch. Self winding, no frills, big numbers that are easy to read.

Love this one - looks a lot like the Oris Big Crown GMT that I've been eyeballing at 1/5 the price...

Research commencing.

You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2018, 07:09:20 PM »

Love this one - looks a lot like the Oris Big Crown GMT that I've been eyeballing at 1/5 the price...

Research commencing.

I'm eyeballing a few GMTs and UTCs.  Two are from the Oris Big Crown collection

Sinn (zin) makes a few UTCs which have my attention.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:06:21 AM by R Doug »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »
https://countycomm.com is the one that sells them and I want to say it was $200 to $250. That watch has taken a beating. I have a few more in my watch collection. Some are still packed away from the consolidation of our homes.

Maratac makes different colored bands as well.

This watch is my oldest. My parents bought it for me for HS graduation with honors, 4.0 gold medallion student.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2018, 06:29:24 AM »
I'm eyeballing a few GMTs and UTCs.  Two are from the Oris Big Crown collection

Sinn (zin) makes a few UTCs which have my attention.

Advice from the gallery, please. 

I ran over to High Point, NC this weekend to see some of the Oris Big Crown Collection on my wrist.  They didn't have the specific models I am considering.  But, they were willing will drop 20% off MSRP right out of the gate on the ones I did try on for size.  That surprised me.  Anyhow, this watch is a bit large.  But, it doesn't "wear large" on me.  It's still in consideration. 

Everything I've read about the Sinn watches I'm looking at resonates with me.  This is a robust piece and they are a little less than the Oris'.  And, it's a little unique looking to me.  Given the lower price point, I won't mind making it my "travel" watch in the case it's lost or stolen.  It has a modified ETA movement, which I believe is what the Oris uses. 

I struggle to pay the asking price of the Oris with an ETA movement.  It appears Oris thinks a lot of itself.  That said, the modifications Oris made on its world timer is pretty impressive.  You move the local time zone hand using the bezel.  That's a neat and unique touch. 

Here are my questions:

(1)  Can you think of another GMT or UTC watch in this price range you'd recommend?  And, why would you recommend it?  I'll toss in a couple of honorable mentions:  Breitling Avenger II GMT on one end of the price range and a Tag Heuer Formula 1 GMT on the other. 

(2)  At this price range, should I just consider a more collectable piece in the used watch market (e.g. Omega Planet Ocean GMT or the mac-daddy Rolex GMT Master II Batman)?  I have some concerns on finding a reputable dealer and not knowing what I'm really getting at the end of the day.

Offline DNA

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2018, 01:58:19 PM »
There is a VAST difference between the Sinn 857 UTC or Oris and a Rolex BatMan. 

Like $6K.

Or more.

When I was looking for a BatMan they were $8-$10K new and hard to find.  The Sinn - less than $2K

https://www.chrono24.com/sinn/prices-for-856--857-watches--mod498-new.htm#gref

While you are looking and to mes with your decision yet a bit more - I really like the Tudor Black Bay - and they just released a GMT....

Not crazy about the Pepsi look for $4K but this where I got my sub and it went great. David SW highly recommended if you but a higher end watch.

https://davidsw.com/product/tudor-heritage-black-bay-gmt-with-red-blue-bezel/

Offline DNA

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »
Out of curiosity - I'm heading to Berlin in a few weeks - anyone know if there is a better/less expensive way to buy in EU and wear it home?

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Trophy 1200, '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2018, 03:39:39 PM »
So, I didn't have photos of the Chopard when I contributed my post.

Here's my GMT-II.  Not a Pepsi or a Batman.  Just an ordinary GMT-II.

Here's the Chopard.  Limited-edition made for the car rally in which my wife and I were participating.

IBA: 63413

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2018, 09:09:19 PM »
There is a VAST difference between the Sinn 857 UTC or Oris and a Rolex BatMan. 

Like $6K.

Or more.

When I was looking for a BatMan they were $8-$10K new and hard to find.  The Sinn - less than $2K

https://www.chrono24.com/sinn/prices-for-856--857-watches--mod498-new.htm#gref

While you are looking and to mes with your decision yet a bit more - I really like the Tudor Black Bay - and they just released a GMT....

Not crazy about the Pepsi look for $4K but this where I got my sub and it went great. David SW highly recommended if you but a higher end watch.

https://davidsw.com/product/tudor-heritage-black-bay-gmt-with-red-blue-bezel/

I get it.  While the one Sinn is around two, the Oris world timer and other Sinn are $4 +/-    How much is a used Batman?   I suspect someone could get a quality used GMT Master II for 1 to 2 more. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:46:17 AM by R Doug »

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »
Some lovely pieces here.
I had a half dozen Timex Ironman series watches over my career. They were the only watches that I ever found that could survive going in and out of fire situations.
I value rock solid reliability, and accuracy so my daily wear now...
Casio G-Shock GW-A1000
20 bar. waterproof, solar charging, tough movement (15g), daily radio auto-calibration (National Institute of Standards atomic clock).

"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow: any deviation has ramifications". - Internal Combustion, explained.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2018, 12:11:53 AM »
I have heard from friends within the hoi-paloi (who own Rolexi) that, as watches they make good jewelry. They look good and cost a lot but their accuracy can be lacking.  I don't know if this is true.

What say yee owners?

I'd like to have one of those watches that uses the French created 3d gimbals to maintain accuracy regardless of movement of the body of the watch (tourbillon).

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tourbillon-watches-in-a-nutshell-expensive-fun-to-watch-serve-little-purpose/

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2018, 12:16:06 AM »
Mine holds time extremely well- better than any other mechanical watch I own, and it's over fifty years old.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2018, 06:29:13 AM »
First and foremost, non-watch and watch people seek to have a Rolex because of the name.  And, I don't mean this in terms of conspicuous consumption.  The brand has a value and individual units hold value extremely well.  In the watch world, heritage and legacy often outweighs cutting edge technology. 

Rolex is well known to be the best mass produced watch in the world.  Some argue they manufacture the most impressive mass produced product in the world.  They have their own foundry for gold, movements are hand assembled by them in house, all bits are very high quality, the products are thoroughly tested, they each take about a year to make, and they are actually very reliable.  Given the price of each piece new, one is actually getting quite a bit for their money. 

For something completely different, here is some serious watch p0r#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9rvtlk_yc

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2018, 10:01:07 AM »
Samsung Gear 3 Frontier - This watch does it all, and I do mean all, Nav on my wrist on the bike, phone, music, waterproof, use it to pay at the register, phone on your wrist, voice text, email, alt, bar, heart rate, steps etc etc. It's a Chameleon in the sense you can change the watch face to 1,000s of watch faces in seconds. This watch is a game changer for me.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:31:31 AM by Virginian »

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »
That Samsung is pretty cool.

As a follow up to my Rolex comment, I'll add that I appreciate them more than I am a fanboy.  My ultimate goal would be to have either a Rolex GMT Master II or a Speedmaster from Omega as my top aspiration. watch.  If I had FU money and could get them both, I would.  My realistic goal is to own at least own one of the two one of these days. 

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2018, 12:28:54 PM »
Here’s my vintage Rolex:
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline DNA

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »
That Samsung looks cool - I like it a lot.

This is one of the few times I wish I was not an iPhone guy, but in truth i probably would not be able to make it work if I did have it.

Hence the iPhone....

Online Cookie

• Contributor
  • You do not want me as moderator.
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2018, 06:52:28 PM »
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Online CLAY

• I'm a duck and I don't even know it.
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »
Samsung Gear 3 Frontier - This watch does it all, and I do mean all, Nav on my wrist on the bike, phone, music, waterproof, use it to pay at the register, phone on your wrist, voice text, email, alt, bar, heart rate, steps etc etc. It's a Chameleon in the sense you can change the watch face to 1,000s of watch faces in seconds. This watch is a game changer for me.

I REALLY like that one!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Clay is a duck" -Cookie

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »

When I was stationed at Ft. Gordon, GA (Army, 1974) I ran into that guy once. I was getting on the bus back to base and he stepped out of the shadows. I'm sure there were enough gullible hicks for him to make it worth his while. I just kept walking.

Online CLAY

• Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2018, 07:54:33 PM »
Suunto watches.  Thoughts?  I can get one at a huge discount (~40% off).  I'm not a runner, but some of the GPS features would be great for hunting.
"Clay is a duck" -Cookie

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
Suunto watches.  Thoughts?  I can get one at a huge discount (~40% off).  I'm not a runner, but some of the GPS features would be great for hunting.

I've looked into them and have heard mixed reviews. The biggest complaint I've read is they go through batteries like crazy. I've also heard reports of questionable reliability, GPS connection problems, and location accuracy. I can't say how often these issues happen, but there are a lot of reports.

I really wanted a Suunto also, but not sure of their reliability.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online CLAY

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2018, 06:27:15 PM »

I've looked into them and have heard mixed reviews. The biggest complaint I've read is they go through batteries like crazy. I've also heard reports of questionable reliability, GPS connection problems, and location accuracy. I can't say how often these issues happen, but there are a lot of reports.

I really wanted a Suunto also, but not sure of their reliability.

Good to know.  I read a bit about the battery thing as well.
"Clay is a duck" -Cookie

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2019, 06:42:51 PM »
Given to me from my dad. He was a big train fan when he was young. It was given to him when he turned 13. 1945 or 1946. Still works. I wind it every morning but I don't carry it around.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2019, 06:54:37 PM »
Given to me from my dad. He was a big train fan when he was young. It was given to him when he turned 13. 1945 or 1946. Still works. I wind it every morning but I don't carry it around.

Very cool indeed,
   I received my grandfather's watch many years ago. It is a silver pocket watch, keeps good time. Granddad was an engenier on the SP, mean old bastard. I think the watch dates back to around 1903. Someday it will be my sons (I'll let them fight it out).
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online CLAY

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2019, 08:52:54 PM »
That is way cool.  I got one of these for Christmas- the Galaxy watch:

It's been great.  I can even control a powerpoint on my laptop with it.  Lots of cool features.  Battery gets me 4 days at this point.
"Clay is a duck" -Cookie

Online Cookie

• Contributor
  • You do not want me as moderator.
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2019, 02:41:51 AM »
That is way cool.  I got one of these for Christmas- the Galaxy watch:

It's been great.  I can even control a powerpoint on my laptop with it.  Lots of cool features.  Battery gets me 4 days at this point.

Did you actually get a new phone though. That's the big question.
narcissistic d-bag, you.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2019, 07:46:14 AM »
Looking at the photo you posted, Clay, that dial looks real (i.e. not graphic generated).  There's 3D effect of the hands, markers, etc...   If it looks as good in person, I'd be very impressed.

Online CLAY

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »
This is it on my desk:

on the hand:

I've been very happy.  And yes, I have a new phone since the one that has all the crap in the lens!
"Clay is a duck" -Cookie

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2019, 09:04:15 AM »
The Samsung Gear watches have animated faces you can download as well. Here's a quick 9 second video of mine.
https://vimeo.com/311233744

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
Nice watch... but Powerpoint?

Keynote maybe?

Online CLAY

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2019, 10:40:54 AM »

Keynote maybe?

The watchface is touch screen, so I can CONTROL my powerpoint presentation via Bluetooth from the watch- not SHOW it on the watch.  That would suck...   :lol:
"Clay is a duck" -Cookie

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2019, 08:15:23 AM »

Keynote maybe?

The watchface is touch screen, so I can CONTROL my powerpoint presentation via Bluetooth from the watch- not SHOW it on the watch.  That would suck...   :lol:

I understood that. I simply had to smile for an old coke v pepsi reason now that I've had some seat time with Keynote.

Online CLAY

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2019, 08:30:22 AM »
LOL.  I actually use Google docs and Google slides- I haven't actually done a real powerpoint in probably 6-7 years.  For the average user I'm shocked that anyone actually pays for Office anymore- although I suppose there is truth in the fact that with Google docs *we* are the product...
"Clay is a duck" -Cookie

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
OSx productivity software: Free with the OS... oh wait! It's free with the hardware.

Libre Office is freeware and depends on contributions. Works plenty well enough for my needs.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:50 PM »
For $7 per month I get 1Tb of cloud file space with Onedrive and office 365 if I care to download it.
Outlook, excel or word, fine, if I need them.
Power point? I retired three years ago and I still have pain in my neck from all those business meetings where PP rules.  :firedevil:
Ride safe!