Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trip to Shady's  (Read 1258 times)

Offline melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
Trip to Shady's
« on: July 04, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »
So I'd been wanting to go to this gathering the last couple years, but it was always during what is a 'deadline' period for my work with IHON:

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/shady-iii-return-of-the-savage-corvallis-mt-6-20-6-24-2018.1271228/

Last year, the government changed things so my clients no longer have a 30 June deadline to worry about and making it out there became a possibility.  So I went for it this year.  As I was carrying some moonshine, this was the plan.  Moonshine should be delivered over snaking mountain roads, of course.  Here's a sample of Hwy 96:

https://youtu.be/VeoVh4D1s8I

The end of that vid is about 2/3 of the way through that section, just south of Weitchpec, where CalTrans had a work zone stoppage for a mowing crew.  As usual, I filtered to the flagger.  And also as usual, when there's a long wait, the flagger was happy to talk Bike while we waited.  He had some variety of Ninja 650 (he either said, 'the N version, not the S,' or 'the S version, not the N.') and we gabbed for a bit.  He noticed my GPS and I told him it was more of a geocaching GPS than a navigating GPS but that I used it on the bike to check fuel range.  My overall riding plan was going to take me to places where there were 50 to 80 mile gaps between fuel stops.  He said, "Oh, geocaching!  We find those all the time in guardrails and the like.  We sign the logs and put them back."  I thanked him for doing so and invited him to check it out more formally.  I've gone to some very interesting places looking for geocaches.

The mowing crew gave him the signal after a few minutes and I was released, to an utterly open highway with nearly no one in front of me pretty much all the way to I-5.  I caught up to a couple locals who waved me by as soon as they saw me, and a caravan of rented passenger vans full of kids going to a camp somewhere.  Those I had to pass, but it was no big deal.  Here's a view of the Klamath River canyon:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I met a friend for lunch in Ashland, at Ruby's.  He came over from Grants Pass on his R100, where he and his wife are setting up their retirement home.  No lunch pix--I had a salad as I was only about halfway through my day.  But it was quite good.

The rest of the day was on Oregon 66 and Oregon 140 to Lakeview.  Here's a bit of 66:

https://youtu.be/f3amjAOOHmg

140 was not quite so interesting.  Eventually, I made it to Lakeview:

It seems out in places where the horizon is more than 100 feet away, people can put letters on hillsides.  More to come on this subject.

Dinner was at El Aguila Real, not even a block from my lodgings at the Executive Inn:

The food was good.  The lodging was a little sketchy.  It would be good to request a ground floor room, as the outside stairs and deck had some highly improvised reinforcements.  I was a little concerned I'd be testing my gear when the reinforcements let go.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
Re: Trip to Shady's
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »
 :bigok:
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline melville

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:56:42 PM »
I made it down the stairs the next morning and they didn't collapse!  A great start to the day.  But then I dropped the bike getting on--it's a tricky one when it's loaded and I really need to use the sidestand rather than go directly from the centerstand to riding.  Which I did for the rest of the trip.

Here is the plan for the day.  Fairly direct, as there are only so many roads through the area.  Hwy 395 follows this ridge for quite a ways:

Here's the fun bit around Lake Abert:

https://youtu.be/VGMXhqqzbiQ

I drove this section of 395 15 years ago with the wife and kids (6 and 2!) in a loud VW Kombi during a heat wave on our way to Yellowstone.  We had a fuel miscalculation and had to beg a couple gallons from an Oregon DOT employee at the DOT compound about halfway from Lakeview to Riley.  That was truly a trip that defined adventure as discomfort recalled at leisure.  I had a similar experience this time when I got through Burns Oregon before I even knew I was there and left without refueling.  When I hit both reserves a few miles later I tried to figure out which town up the road had fuel.  I could probably have made it to Vale, but I didn't have to when there was a little place in Harper.  So little that this was still functional:

This is a bit of Hwy 20 between Burns and Harper:

https://youtu.be/bYh63MpWKGg

I actually caught up to an RV soon after that and drafted it to save fuel until I got to the gas station (it wasn't too terribly slow).  In a positive development, the station had ethanol-free gas, something not offered in California.

Once refueled, it was a steady trip to Hwy 95 and north into Idaho.  I took a snack stop at a rest area that also had an historic marker:

And a great view:

Now I had a situation vis-a-vis my bladder at this stop.  I needed to drain it.  But the building on site was dark inside and it looked like it was an interpretive center rather than a comfort station.  I started to look around for a private place to conduct my business, but was a little concerned about these signs:

If they had specified 'trouser snake' I'd have been more comfortable.  But they didn't--clearly they meant reptile.  I didn't have to introduce trouser to rattler as it turned out because I saw someone just walk up and Open The Door, which I didn't try myself because it looked dark and closed.

It started to rain during this stop, so I got my raingear on and continued with a properly vacated bladder.  I made it to McCall Idaho and my destination at the Rustic Inn without difficulty, arriving just as the thunder and lightning started.

It didn't rain for long.  I got out for a yoga class and then walked to dinner, where this was the view:

McCall sits at the end of Payette Lake.  And this was the view on the table:

Mmmm tasty.  I didn't eat the red chips, as the color was more than a little unnatural.  After this, it was back to the hotel and a great night's sleep.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »

McCall sits at the end of Payette Lake.  And this was the view on the table:

Mmmm tasty.  I didn't eat the red chips, as the color was more than a little unnatural.  After this, it was back to the hotel and a great night's sleep.

Looks great!  Almost as good as that sweet Airhead.

MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline melville

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 08:44:22 PM »
Things were drier in McCall in the morning.  I got out bright and early.  Here was the plan.  Idaho 55 was pretty nice:

https://youtu.be/CH-yMyFcZLc

Then I got back to New Meadows and picked up 95 northbound.  I descended into a layer of fog as the highway followed the Little Salmon River:

Things cleared up remarkably by Riggins, where the Little Salmon joins the main stem of the Salmon River.  The Salmon River canyon was awesome.  The highway leaves the canyon and climbs steeply to White Bird.  Here's a view looking back:

Onward to a refueling in Grangeville where I turned to Idaho Hwy 13 which follows the South Fork Clearwater River for much of its length.  It joins US Hwy 12 at Kooskia, just in time for this:

Idaho may be the world source of cool old trucks:

Mostly Chevies, but a couple Fords at the far end and an International IIRC.

Here's a typical bit of the 99 miles:

https://youtu.be/hD7kZ2B40Vo

Yes, I passed the pirates, but it was a bit of work.  They were all tore up with motor compared to my wee 750 Airhead and were nailing the throttle every time they got the bikes upright.  The third one figured out I wasn't his buddies and started to wick it up in the corners, too.  He let me by after he started scraping stuff.

Hwy 12 follows the Middle Fork Clearwater River and then the Lochsa River on the way to Lolo Pass.  There are several bridges like this one to get hikers across the river to the wilderness trails.  I stopped here to have a snack and take a Lolo break:

Turn the sound up for this one:

https://youtu.be/i8LAMEDIKC8

This guy was waiting for me when I got back to the bike:

After that, it was time to go to Montana and meet 20ish of my newest best friends:

The overwhelming theme of the weekend:

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 11:37:22 PM »
Great stuff Mel!

Offline melville

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 09:00:48 PM »
After a fantastic drunken weekend working out our places in the world, we all departed, mostly in different directions.  My direction was this.  I took a short day to Salmon Idaho after a late breaking camp start.  The highway was lined with lots of markers like these:

I geeked out on them just a bit.  The Ross Hole sign was here:

Soon enough I got to the Idaho border, here:

And then eventually to where the North Fork Salmon River joined the main stem.  Where this happens, the main stem takes a turn west to go 50ish miles to Riggins and Hwy 95 through a canyon without a highway. 

Salmon was a pleasant place, but a bit quiet on a Sunday.  The big grocery store and the taqueria were closed. 

Dave's Pizza was open, as apparently Dave is not LDS:

There's a little park and pedestrian bridge at the river:

This was a curious sign to find in June:

Other stuff on the school fences--the elementary kids love their pollinators:

The HS kids are all about the river:

And they put their letter on the hillside:

This looked like a true grandma-fresh Idaho car:

It even had the '6' on the fender to show that it was basic transportation when new.  But something was up with it:

Yes, it has a Ford 302 motor and matching transmission.  WTF?

I stayed at the Sacajawea Inn, where the sweet lady at the desk went on about how she was feeling especially blessed for the day.  She offered extra rags to clean the bike.  When I declined them, she said, "Oh, you must be on a BMW.  The Harley riders always take the rags.  The BMW riders, never."

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 11:13:59 PM »
^Ok... that's funny.

Great ride report; been following along.  :bigok:
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline melville

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »
The next day was all about getting from Salmon to Twin Falls.  It can be done all on US 93 but I followed the Salmon River to its source on Idaho Hwy 75 and then over Galena Summit at 8701 ft, my highest elevation of the trip.  Here's a little sample of Hwy 75 on the way to Stanley:

https://youtu.be/IrexQ8L7QKg

Yes, these mountains are called the Sawtooths.  I wonder why:

That sign is near the top of Galena Summit.  Here's the story of the origin of the Salmon River:

Eventually I made it to Twin Falls, where it was 100+ deg F.  After checking in, I walked back to the Snake River and checked the view below the Hwy 93 bridge:

Wait, what's that?

It was a BASE jumper.  The bridge is apparently 480 feet above the river, plenty enough for jumping.

Here are the next jumpers setting up their gear:

After showering off the day's road and 100+ deg heat, I went out to dinner at Don Juan's.  I was a little curious about the Super Burrito that was $3 more than any other burrito option on the menu.  Well, this was it:

Yes, it was bigger than the usual Super.  It was built with multiple tortillas.  Had I laid off the chips y salsa y frijoles I'd have had a fighting chance of finishing it.  I texted my son, "Defeated," when I had to leave a couple inches of it on the plate.  He texted back, "Oh no."  It's humbling to no longer be your kid's hero.

This was the place:

I will be back, and I will dominate the Super!

After dinner and a little recovery time, I went to a yoga class at this spot:

It was a nice class.  Yoga is a little different in a heavy LDS community.  The teacher went around the room touching us, saying "I'm going to manipulate the space between and above your eyebrows."  In Cali, she'd have called that "your Third Eye."  As well, there were no false idols in the studio--no Ganesh or Shiva were to be seen.  That said, it was a good class, even if the Namaste at the end was spoken like she was getting away with something.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 09:58:30 PM »
1. There's no shame in being defeated by a burrito of that caliber.

2. I funking love the Stanley highway. :burnout:

3. How in Ganesh's name did you manage yoga after that meal? :eek: I could not.  :redface:
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Offline melville

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 10:10:49 PM »
1. There's no shame in being defeated by a burrito of that caliber.

2. I funking love the Stanley highway. :burnout:

3. How in Ganesh's name did you manage yoga after that meal? :eek: I could not.  :redface:

Yeah, but for years the kids regarded me as a two legged dog.  No leftovers at our house.  "You gonna finish that?"  It's hard to put my years as a bicycle racer behind me.

I like it too.  I was a wee spot cold until I got to Stanley, where I fueled up and sat in the sun.  I snacked a little overmuch to maximize my time in the sun, which put me off my game at Don Juan's.

Thankfully, it was a gentle Restorative class.  There were just a few Asanas, held for long periods.

Offline melville

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 10:12:09 PM »
After Twin Falls, I was looking to get to Ely Nevada.  Not much to say, it was Hwy 93 all the way.  Wide open spaces and all that:

I had a bladder sitch around milepost 25 in Elko County and bimbled off the highway to this spot to take care of it:

It was apparently a stealth camping site.  I was the first person to come along in days to talk to this guy:

He had plans to move along in a day or two.  Next stop, Ely, where I stayed at another Rustic Inn.  It was a pleasant place, not far from Juanita y Chava's Taco Shop, which was inside a casino:

The other clientele were a curious bunch.  Ely is a place where prostitution is legal.  A pair came in who were clearly a working girl and a bouncer to pick up dinner for the whole house. Those ladies eat well.  They must be working hard.  Here's the place:

Go in this door, and head straight back and then to the right for your burrito.  I don't know where the brothel was.  My accountant's training will tell you to Do Not Play Any Of The Machines.  Here was the temperature at 6 PM:

For this reason, I waited until 3 AM to adjust the valves on Ernst:

It was in the low 60s by then.  So long as I moved once in a while, the motion sensor lights kept my work area well illuminated.  Yes, I'm using TP for shop towels.

Offline nevinfs327

• Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler; Kawasaki W650; Suzuki TU250
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 11:24:16 PM »
Enjoying the trip - many places I need to get to, and a few I've been.  Love the bike, too. 

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
The next day was all about getting from Salmon to Twin Falls.  It can be done all on US 93 but I followed the Salmon River to its source on Idaho Hwy 75 and then over Galena Summit at 8701 ft, my highest elevation of the trip.  Here's a little sample of Hwy 75 on the way to Stanley:

https://youtu.be/IrexQ8L7QKg

Yes, these mountains are called the Sawtooths.  I wonder why:

On our big 2010 trip, we were staying in most places for a few days.  We were in Stanley for 15 days cuz it was that awesome.  Did you see what appeared to be lava flow on the way into Twin Falls?  It was way past getting to the flat spot so it was totally out of place.  I love that place. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline melville

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
So I left Ely just before 5 AM, rolling out in low 60s temperatures.  Here's what I ended up riding.  I had originally intended to take Hwy 50 to Placerville and then Hwy 49 to Grass Valley, but the day ran L O N G and I instead took 28 around Lake Tahoe to I-80 for a short stretch and then Hwy 20 to GV.  This was just outside of Ely:

The road didn't start out that lonely.  Right when I stopped to take those pics, a train of cars went by me (at 5 AM!) and I followed.  But it looks like it was a shift change at the mine just out of town, as they all turned left a couple miles down the road.  Then the road got good and lonely.  Hwy 50 crosses several mountain ranges with flat deserts between.  Here's a sample just over the first range from Ely:

Yes, that spot on the horizon is 8.2 miles away, according to my odometer.  This one is 8.4 miles away:

Where I'm from, I'm used to the horizon being maybe 100 feet away with all the trees and such.

In Eureka, there's another lettered hillside:

I had great fun texting folks at home who didn't expect me back for a few days with "I'm in Eureka,"  as Eureka CA is the next town south from me.   I waited five minutes and then texted "Eureka, Nevada."   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Eureka has some neat old buildings:

It seems the Masons play a role in Eureka:

AL is Anno Lucis, or 'Year of the Light.'  Apparently the Universe was precisely 4000 years old when Jesus was born.

Going West, broad horizons continued.  This is just west of Austin:

Yes, 13 miles to the horizon.  There was one stretch earlier where the road was dead straight for 20+ miles!

Next stop was Middlegate:

Where the main entertainment was this:

I made a contribution:

There was some number convergence on the highway:

Yes, there's a 5 under that sunspot.  And I shit you not, it happened right here:

Along the road, I passed this convoy:

https://youtu.be/d4oXAhZ1Nh8

From what I could tell, that was four Oshkosh trucks, three with boats and one with an instant boat ramp.  Clearly it was the Nevada Navy National Guard on their way to defend their shore of Lake Tahoe from invaders from the California side.

I met one of my newest best friends near his home in Carson City where we took a Dairy Queen break.  Carson City also has a letter fetish:

Refreshed after a wee Blizzard and Coke, I continued on Hwy 50 to Hwy 28 and down to Lake Tahoe.  The road was a bit busy and nicely scenic:

I had an incident with a flagger:

https://youtu.be/Evd3UXCY4ug

Truthfully, what I did there is SOP in California.  Most of the time the flagger comes over and talks Bike if there's going to be a wait.  She did let me stay, and I had a clear road for a while after the flag zone, which was the point of filtering to the front.

Eventually I made it back to California, where we're all civilized about work zones, and a night at the fabulous Holbrooke Hotel in Grass Valley:

For dinner this time I tried Paco's Tacos on Mill Street.  It was OK.  I think it may have been part of some weird franchise and that the building had been repurposed from some previous restaurant.  The interior decor included old mining crap, old logger's tools, and some sombreros.  Here's the chow:

Yes, it was lightly grilled after being rolled.  A little different.

A pleasant walk back to the hotel, a soak in an old clawfoot tub, and a great night's sleep followed dinner.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 11:30:43 AM »
The most epic burrito thread I've ever seen! Love it!

Offline melville

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 09:40:56 PM »
Last day.    Here's what I ended up riding.  I had considered Hwy 70 to Oroville but missed the turn in Marysville and took 99 instead to Chico and beyond. After that, I figured 36 to 3 to 299 would also be a bad idea, so I slabbed it from Red Bluff to Redding to take 299 the rest of the way home.

The day started with a great yoga class.  It was the same teacher I'd first seen a couple months ago and she recognized me and asked about the bike.

After a shower I loaded up and rolled out.  This guy parked next to me as I was loading up:

No pix for the rest of the ride, really.  I had a case of the gottabehomes.  Missing the turn to Oroville, I instead got lunch in Chico.  I had no place in mind, but knew that if I went south and west of 99 near the campus that the neighborhood was taqueria intensive.  This one caught my eye with all the yellow:

And it was a worthy stop.  The best burrito of the trip:

I got home without incident from there.  It was nice to be back in my own bed and to see my boys.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
What a great trip and thanks for sharing.