Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What to ride near Gunnison??? Will be there next week...  (Read 1695 times)

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
What to ride near Gunnison??? Will be there next week...
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »
I will be in Ouray  this Saturday through Thursday with a group of friends from Pittsburgh to ride the various passes and whatnot. But there is an open day in the schedule to "do what you want".

School me on what's up near Gunnison. I recall there being some epic street riding talked about with the Black Canyon. I will be on  my KTM 530 with knobbies, but I ride it like a supermoto regardless. Dirt roads, back roads, epic twisty roads. It's all good. I'm game for a 250 mile day if a decent chunk of that is paved.

I think we will have hit all the "good stuff" around Ouray, and I hear there are fires to the south.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Jim

• Contributor
Re: What to ride near Gunnison??? Will be there next week...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 06:16:47 PM »
This is a two part set:
www.JimWilliamson.net/temp/CO-What-To-Do-map.jpg
www.JimWilliamson.net/temp/CO-What-To-Do-text.txt

I could see you riding north from Ouray (you-ray) to Gateway CO, via Naturita / Uravan for the CO-141 road - a tops in CO road. Then, if you choose, you could dirt road back on the Uncompahgre plateau east of CO-141 - popping out at Montrose or perhaps further south. The link below shows the quality of the dirt roads up there - I don't envision you'd have any issue.

There is fuel at Gateway. If you have time, the Gateway Auto Museum (inexpensive last I visited) might be worth a stop:
http://gatewayautomuseum.com/

Lake City ride could be done.

CO-92 (#21 on the map) between Montrose and Gunnison is an option.

If you're interested in the plateau - some pix (and map) at this page:
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2015-08-01-five-days-in-southwest-colorado/2015-08-04--tue/

Or, you could dirt-bike Engineer Pass / Corkscrew or Black Bear or Imogene...
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2015-08-01-five-days-in-southwest-colorado/
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »
If your basing out of Gunnison, head up to Taylor Park. Paved road there is great fun, and there's miles of trails once you get up there. It's not TECHNICALLY a dead end, but Cottonwood pass is closed for road work, so unless you're willing to go over Cumberland pass (20 miles of forest road, rocky and dusty, but nothing you couldn't go over in a passenger car... slowly) and come back to Gunnison through Pitkin, Ohio City (say hi to my folks!), and Parlin, you'll have to come back out the way you came in.

Coming from Ouray... pop over through Montrose towards Gunny, then take a left at the Blue Mesa Dam and ride Hwy 93 to Hotchkiss. It's the North Rim of the Black Canyon, and a wonderful road. if you make Hotchkiss near lunch, Zacks BBQ. you can thank me later. Order your pie at the same time you order food, there's no guarantee it'll still be there. From there, you could buzz east to Paonia, then up over Kebler Pass (dirt/hardpack road) into Crested Butte. From CB, you can either take the Jacks Cabin cutoff off Hwy 135 to Taylor Park (as above) and return through Gunnison to Hwy 50, from there depending on timing, you could go Gunny back to Montrose then to Ouray via Hwy 50. There'a  couple other ways out, but it would be a SUPER long day if you made this route already...

Leanintree (Raised in Gunny, and headed there for my 30year reunion next weekend)
Great googly-moogly!

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:28:50 AM »
Alpine loop byway I believe it's called, lots of passes, nothing technical but great scenery. Imogene pass over to Telluride is my favorite. There is a large portion of the COBDR that goes through that area. these are more "big bike" routes, but would still be fun on the 530!
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »
here it is:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5286478.pdf

Animas forks is kind of neat. I'm sure you will enjoy wherever you go, it's a great area. this is just west of Ouray:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »
Thanks for the input so far. We made it to Ouray. I'm sitting on our deck looking at the mountains with my morning coffee. This does not suck. We have five days of riding all the various passes, the Alpine Loop, etc.

For the spare day in the schedule, I was toying with heading south on 550, then taking Stony Pass east over to 149? then north thru Lake City and then take some county road up to Gunny. Then check out the Black Canyon (93?) and back via more dirt roads (Cimaron Access Rd/) to Ouray. Or something like that. The loop was about 265 miles. That might be too long a day.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Black Hills

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »
There is a little hiking trail around Ouray. I’ll s pretty cool and a neat like park/waterfall thing on the SW side of town worth a visit if u have time:

http://www.ci.ouray.co.us/city_offices/city_resources/box_canon_waterfalls_vs2.php

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:44:21 AM by Black Hills »

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »
Day 4 (today) will be a day off to be a tourist in Telluride or maybe Silverton.

A few of the guys don't like heights and the exposure on the shelf roads is messing with their heads, so I expect we'll be avoiding the sketchier passes.

Day 1 was more intense than I expected. I have little experience in rock gardens, let alone a rock garden on a steep, narrow jeep trail. Day 2 was Ophir pass plus lower elevation county roads. Yesterday was more county roads (dirt) up to route 50 west of Gunnison, then rode 92 for about 15 out (and then back), then lots of highway back to Ouray.

The afternoon thunderstom weather pattern appears to be in full swing. It's looking like storms are starting in the early afternoon over the next few days, so that will limit our riding at elevation to the morning.

Stunning scenery. Just awesome. The Million Dollar Highway might be fun at 6am before it gets clogged with traffic. A rock slide a couple miles south of town closed Red Mountain Pass yesterday which is/was out access to most of the riding. The pass opened late yesterday (one lane).
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »
A rock slide a couple miles south of town closed Red Mountain Pass yesterday which is/was out access to most of the riding. The pass opened late yesterday (one lane).

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/07/09/mudslides-red-mountain-pass-ouray/

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico-news/us-550-rockslide-closure/4981726/

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Black Hills

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
I think you could make it..  ;D

Offline tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »
Shit, I'll be taking that north back to South Dakota in a little less than a month.  I hope it is manageable.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »
it'll be cleaned up in a week ;)

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »

It was open the next day, but down to one lane.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »

It was open the next day, but down to one lane.

WTF man?  We need some more serious photo and narrative updates of this trip.  Enough with the Bob Mielke stuff.  :lol:
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 06:23:12 AM »
WTF man?  We need some more serious photo and narrative updates of this trip.  Enough with the Bob Mielke stuff.  :lol:

I came home two days early. One of the guys was having issues with the altitude and the next day looked to be a rain out, so I bailed to help him drive home after riding for the day. Got home Thursday night. I need to go through my photos and clean them up in Photoshop. It was not an epic trip. Another guy in our group biffed in some rocks on Imogene and put a nice hole in his knee (no knee pads, moron).
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 08:17:32 AM »
Sorry to read about the issues.  It sounds like there's a good story or two in there to report. 

I'll be waiting for the report.    ;D

:popcorn:
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.