Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Center of the World  (Read 525 times)

Offline SunDevil98

• Make your life an adventure, and then live it.
  • Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki Concours14
The Center of the World
« on: June 25, 2018, 10:59:30 PM »
After six months of laying off the bike, I have finally freed my inner spirit animal, and fired that beast up. It needed a new battery and a good thorough wash, and next month I'll have the valves checked, oil changed, and new tires put on. For now though, it's just time to get my ride back on.

Yesterday, my buddy (he also has a Connie) and I decided to do a short three hour tour. It was a typical day here in the southeastern U.S. Temps were peaking in the low 90°'s, and the humidity was sitting at a very uncomfortable 94% with no rain.

We began our adventure riding out to see the Georgia Guidestones in Elbert County Georgia.  The Guidestones are supposed to be a bit of a mystery. They are also know as America's Stonehenge.

The Guidestones are a set of large marble stones with the "guidelines" for how society should be. The guidelines are written in multiple languages for all to read and understand. It is located literally in the middle of nowhere in a pasture. There is nothing but a couple of jackasses wandering around in the field next to it.

Our next stop was The Center of the World. Unfortunately, this is nothing more than a historical marker on the side of the road. However, the history behind it is rich and colorful. It marks the area that the Cherokee Nation viewed to be the center of the world. It was where they held great gatherings,  and conducted trade with others. When you are standing there and thinking about all the history that has passed through the area, at least for me, it's really quite amazing.

Thus ended our ride for the day. The wifey was none too happy that I ditched her to go ride. She was hoping that we'd go Jeeping. So, after a few hours of riding I returned home to take her out to dinner in the Jeep. The balance in the world was reset, and I'm good to go the next time I want to venture out on two wheels.

As a post script, I am actually planning a month long adventure beginning in mid-August. My buddy and I are riding our Connie's from Georgia to Alaska and back. I have purchased a few new items for the trip, and I am interested to see how they do. We depart the comfort of home on August 13, and plan on returning around September 15. It should be a blast!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:59:10 AM by SunDevil98 »

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Re: The Center of the World
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 05:12:08 AM »
Looks like a great ride, and Welcome!
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 07:13:09 AM »
Great first post, keep em coming.  :clap:

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
Welcome and thanks for sharing your adventure.

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.