Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Awesome New VW Camper "California"  (Read 479 times)

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
Re: The Awesome New VW Camper "California"
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
A SEVENTY THOUSAND DOLLAR compact camper van is something of interest to you people? Jesus Cluny Frog, even the yahoos at Jalopnik are equating this to a combination vehicle and a HOUSE. Newsflash, those guys that live down by the river in their van are considered HIGH-END HOMELESS where I'm from... that isn't a desirable thing, particularly come winter.

This baffles me. Totally. I understand having a van for a camper, but even aftermarket conversions are over and beyond. This... this is just madness. I'm not surprised that it isn't being sold here. I'm shocked that they can sell it anywhere.

LT

I miss having a truck like a meth addict misses his teeth, but holy crap, the only ones I can afford any more are beat to shit with 300k on the clock.

Remember when pickups, vans, Jeeps, and VWs were affordable? (sigh)
this signature on hold pending review

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 12:44:12 PM »
Quote: “Remember when pickups, vans, Jeeps, and VWs were affordable? (sigh)”

If you aren’t “trendy” you can still find some great deals as more and
more people move to the more popular models.
I recently picked up a low mileage, great condition high-end sedan that
originally sold for about 45K for the cost of one paycheck. Yes, one.
Highly desirable vehicles, like pickups, are well beyond my cost-vs-need
rational.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 01:44:01 PM »
I guess there's an audience but for that kind of money, I could recreate my set up with a brand new truck and a brand new trailer and be WAY more comfortable.  Granted, I'm not taking my set up to a lot of places one of these could go and that is probably the motivation for a lot of the buyers but I don't need to go that far off grid anymore.  If I do, I'll take my truck and my tent.  Frankly, if it doesn't have a crapper, it might as well be a tent.

That being said, if you look at some of the nicer class B rigs, the prices will make you choke.  There's a reason I'm in a little travel trailer.  But I guess not everyone wants to pull a trailer or drive a truck or be fifty some feet long. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2001 R1150GS & 2009 K1200LT, 2006 Ducati ST3 (R.I.P.), etc.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 03:33:49 PM »
At least the Guzzi California was made for the U.S. market. The VW California must be for Baja California.
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
  • Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 06:57:25 PM »
A SEVENTY THOUSAND DOLLAR compact camper van is something of interest to you people? Jesus Cluny Frog, even the yahoos at Jalopnik are equating this to a combination vehicle and a HOUSE. Newsflash, those guys that live down by the river in their van are considered HIGH-END HOMELESS where I'm from... that isn't a desirable thing, particularly come winter.

This baffles me. Totally. I understand having a van for a camper, but even aftermarket conversions are over and beyond. This... this is just madness. I'm not surprised that it isn't being sold here. I'm shocked that they can sell it anywhere.

LT

First of all, I had no idea of the price.  I'm out.  I'd never pay that for a VW and if I were looking to spend that much for Sheri's dog shows, I'd get this...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
Quote: “Remember when pickups, vans, Jeeps, and VWs were affordable? (sigh)”

If you aren’t “trendy” you can still find some great deals as more and
more people move to the more popular models.
I recently picked up a low mileage, great condition high-end sedan that
originally sold for about 45K for the cost of one paycheck. Yes, one.
Highly desirable vehicles, like pickups, are well beyond my cost-vs-need
rational.

That's exactly how Liz got her BMW 535xi. 10 years old with like 70k on the clock, excellent condition, all wheel drive. The price was four digits. I think it was somewhere around $55k new. 10 years, scant more than 1/10th the price.
this signature on hold pending review

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »

:wave:

I adore what we affectionately call "the beast."  I daily commute w/ it, haul kayaks, do some off-roading, and do Costco/Lowes runs.  Sheri uses it for dog shows.  While the camper van is very cool, it won't be sold here so the 4Runner (beast) stays.  :)
I am patient. 193k on my 99. Might be good for another 100.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 08:42:57 AM »

Newsflash. Rental and home prices are through the roof. Its bordering on personal financial irresponsibility to even consider making rental/mortgage payments in most markets. It makes no financial sense, in reality, to spend 35%+ of your income on a roof (and most are significantly higher). I'd seriously consider living in a 'van down by the river' to save over $20K/yr, if I were single with no dependents. In fact, I love the idea.

Granted, its very different situation for somebody in dire need and has no choice.

-Steve

SnowMexican
WWPD

Offline BuckeyeRider

• Not all who wander are lost.
  • Motorcycles: A Little 'Un
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »

Newsflash. Rental and home prices are through the roof. Its bordering on personal financial irresponsibility to even consider making rental/mortgage payments in most markets. It makes no financial sense, in reality, to spend 35%+ of your income on a roof (and most are significantly higher). I'd seriously consider living in a 'van down by the river' to save over $20K/yr, if I were single with no dependents. In fact, I love the idea.

Granted, its very different situation for somebody in dire need and has no choice.

I live in an RV. A small 24 foot Class C. By choice. I spend the winter months in S Texas. I spend the spring in AL, TN, NC, VA. Summers are back in Columbus to spend time with my kids, and then I slowly plot a course back to S. TX for the winter. This year, I think I'll head west to the mountains before scampering south in front of the cold.

I had already started adopting a more minimalist lifestyle when I started this (in fact, I did start out in a van...) I've also spent many a month "down by the river", but it was always at a National Forest, or Corps of Engineers campground, or a pretty decent RV Park.

We call our ourselves "fulltimers".  I've met people from every walk of life that do it. Some in million dollar class A motorhomes, and some in fairly shitty vans or just out of whatever their daily driver vehicle happens to be.

The RV is financed for 15 years. My payment is under $500. In the south, I usually pay around $300 a month for a decent RV Park, plus electric - which has never run me more than $80. In the north, you're looking at more like $500 or $600 a month for a decent RV park, but my electric is usually under $40.

So, for less than $1,000 a month, on average, I'm living in a brand new RV, staying in beautiful locations and enjoying nature and I never have to shovel snow again. I'm pretty happy to be what most would consider "homeless".

(I run my business online. I have a Verizon mifi device. I pay $145 a month for internet access. Other than insurance, registrations and food/supplies/maintenance - those are my fixed expenses. )

Oh, and I have a little bike I toss on a hitch mounted carrier to make runs to the store or do a little local sightseeing. :-)

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2016 Yamaha Super Tenny
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »
Trying to find a practical pick-up these days is next to impossible too. I don't need a full size 4 door cab with a 3 foot cargo bed, that seems to be the only thing out there these days unless you go for the base model work truck. Even finding a used low mile access cab Frontier, Tacoma or Ranger with anything less than 150k miles is difficult unless you want to pay close to $20 grand.

We looked into buying a VW Eurovan a few years ago and it was the same story, $20k for a well used van with 200k miles on it. That kind of money buys a lot of Best Westerns.. 
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 09:22:00 AM »
depends what you want in a pickup. just bought two new ones for the staking guys at work, Ram1500 4dr. 6.5' box 4WD 5.7L with 8 speed auto $34k. sure they are nothing fancy but have bluetooth, etc. and will easily run close to 200k miles, so that's a lot of years I'm thinking?

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 10:22:20 AM »
Trying to find a practical pick-up these days is next to impossible too. I don't need a full size 4 door cab with a 3 foot cargo bed, that seems to be the only thing out there these days unless you go for the base model work truck.
I was a bit excited when Honda announce they were coming out with a pickup.  But was miffed when it came out - in 4 door only!  I want/need an extended cab with a decent size bed!

We looked into buying a VW Eurovan a few years ago and it was the same story, $20k for a well used van with 200k miles on it. That kind of money buys a lot of Best Westerns..
That is enlightening.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »

I hate to quote my own posts, but in this case...

Stumbled across this a few moments ago. Appropo considering this statement above.

http://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/oor/OOR_2018.pdf
-Steve

SnowMexican
WWPD

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Trophy 1200, '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »
This would be perfect for my wife as she travels to Dog shows.

I'm surprised you haven't considered a used Sprinter.
IBA: 63413

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »
the sprinters are pretty nice, a few of my dirtbike friends have them. hard to find good ones cheap though.