Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Study probes effect of cannabis on brain  (Read 7144 times)

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
Study probes effect of cannabis on brain
« on: January 07, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1177815-study-probes-effect-of-cannabis-on-brain

Specifically, cannabis, a drug researchers believe can trigger psychosis in the still-developing brain, especially in people under 25.

Psychosis typically develops from ages 18 to 25, often the primary period — or even earlier — people smoke pot, Tibbo says.

It’s also a time when the brain’s frontal lobe is still developing.

“So what the research has shown is within that period if there’s cannabis use, it can disrupt that process.”

That is especially true in those already predisposed to psychosis, perhaps even triggering its onset, says the Dr. Paul Janssen Chair in Psychotic Disorders at Dalhousie University.

“You will increase your risk for psychosis by about four times. You look at a lot of the larger epidemiological studies and they can back that up.”

In other words, leave the weed to us old fuckers. We don't need anymore psychotic twenty-somethings in this world.  :bigok:
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Study probes effect of cannabis on brain
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
 :shrug:

I outgrew it.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline satxbonneville

• Bailiff, whack his peepee!
  • Motorcycles: '04 Bonneville T100, '03 V-Strom 1000, '06 Ninja 500
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:55:36 PM »
I wanna move to Colorado.  :smoking:

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »
:shrug:

I outgrew it.

Me too but I agree, leave it to us old fuckers....if we want it anyway.  ;D
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:52:25 AM »
Not sure if I outgrew it or not . . . . .but, given that I'd have to score from someone my daughter's age, embarrassment keeps me straight anyway.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
Not sure if I outgrew it or not . . . . .but, given that I'd have to score from someone my daughter's age, embarrassment keeps me straight anyway.

Yeah, there's that too.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline satxbonneville

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:27:45 PM »

I have musician friends...you know how those guys are.  ;D

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
Yessir -- slightly out of focus;-}
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 06:18:47 PM »
What were we talking about?
A man with no sig

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 08:30:47 PM »
What were we talking about?

Lite up another one and get back to us.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline satxbonneville

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:38:04 PM »

Offline satxbonneville

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »

;)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 07:40:46 AM »
Honestly, I just don't understand why alcohol is legal and cannibis is illegal other than political and social stigmas. How many angry pot heads have you seen? How many people are admitted to the hospital for excessive weed use? I see a lot worse behavior and health effects from alcohol.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 07:53:09 AM »
Honestly, I just don't understand why alcohol is legal and cannibis is illegal other than political and social stigmas. How many angry pot heads have you seen? How many people are admitted to the hospital for excessive weed use? I see a lot worse behavior and health effects from alcohol.

Indeed.  But when you have a for profit "correctional" facilities this is the type of non-sense that feeds the pig.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 08:05:40 AM »

Indeed.  But when you have a for profit "correctional" facilities this is the type of non-sense that feeds the pig.

Yep. There is a ton of money going into the eradication of cannabis and police forces are getting lots of money for gear to fight drugs. From top to bottom everyone is making money off keeping it illegal.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 08:06:54 AM »
Lets not forget the modern slave labor force once they are in the joint as well.

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 09:00:23 AM »
Here's why.  From a friend's FB:
http://www.charismamag.com/blogs/fire-in-my-bones/19560-5-reasons-why-legalizing-marijuana-stinks

5 Reasons Why Legalizing Marijuana Stinks
Have you smelled anything strange in the wind lately? In case you haven’t noticed, our nation is literally going to pot. We might as well get used to the odor. Marijuana laws are changing. The drug has been decriminalized in many states, while others allow marijuana use for medicinal purposes only.

At the beginning of January, Colorado citizens were allowed to buy pot for recreational use from authorized dealers. Now tourists are lining up to visit the state for “marijuana vacations.” They will no doubt bring new meaning to Colorado’s official song, “Rocky Mountain High.”

People from every side of the political spectrum have called for decriminalization of pot—from Pat Robertson and Sarah Palin on the right to Bill Maher and Rachael Maddow on the left. I understand their concern: Huge numbers of people are in prison today for drug possession—and the cost of caring for our inmate population is overwhelming. But why do we have to swing the pendulum to the other extreme and treat marijuana like it’s a mild, over-the-counter medication?

Honest health care providers will tell you that marijuana is really bad for you. Legalizing it will only cause its negative effects to increase. If you know anyone who’s smoking weed or hoping to start smoking it once it is decriminalized, please pass along these facts:

1. Marijuana is highly addictive. There’s a reason marijuana is the most widely used illegal drug in the world. People can’t stop using it once they start. Proponents of legalizing pot have tried to dismiss this argument. But clinical studies have proven that people who used marijuana several times a week found it almost impossible to quit. People who tried to stop smoking it reported feeling moody, tense, anxious and unable to sleep.

2. Marijuana can ruin your future. There is a reason marijuana addicts are sometimes called potheads. The drug sucks the life out of people. Those who use it regularly are more likely to drop out of school, have accidents, quit jobs, lose interest in life and feel generally demotivated. Some studies also have linked pot to suicidal thoughts. The National Institute on Drug Abuse notes that regular marijuana use can result in a 40 percent increased risk of psychosis, and the drug also can lead to schizophrenia, depression and anxiety disorders.

3. Marijuana can ruin your kids’ lives. It should come as no surprise that marijuana use among American teenagers is rising at an alarming rate—just as efforts to decriminalize it are accelerating. There has been an 80 percent increase in marijuana use among teens since 2008. Do you want your children to make good grades in school? Then you should know that one study proved that teens who smoked pot regularly lost as much as 8 points in their IQs—and they did not recover the intellectual ability when they became adults.

Parents should also filter through the hype about how marijuana is “not that dangerous.” An article published last year in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology showed that adolescents who smoked pot were at risk of brain damage. (MEMO TO YOUTH PASTORS: Please devote some time to educating your teens about drugs in 2014.)

4. Marijuana causes serious health problems. The main ingredient in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, has a powerful effect on the brain. Initially it creates in the user a sense of euphoria—the infamous “high” that includes bright colors, hallucinations and even laughter. But after the high comes a wave of anxiety, fear and depression. And memory can be affected permanently.

But that’s not all. Smoking pot causes a 20 to 100 percent increase in a smoker’s heart rate. Some marijuana users are five times more likely to have a heart attack after they use it. Pot is not good for the lungs either. One study found that smoking one joint gives as much exposure to cancer-causing chemicals as smoking five cigarettes. (And you can’t help but wonder how second-hand marijuana smoke will affect those of us who are breathing the nearby fumes.)

5. Marijuana can ruin your sex life. Proponents of legalizing marijuana push the idea that pot is an aphrodisiac. But science tells another story. Men who smoke pot regularly can experience impotence as well as infertility. And some studies have found a link between marijuana use and an aggressive form of testicular cancer in young men. Not to mention that pot causes really bad breath. Marijuana is definitely not sexy!

I should also mention that seven percent of drivers involved in accidents tested positive for THC in a recent survey. That’s because smoking weed impairs motor skills and increases the risk of car crashes. So if marijuana use becomes widespread after its legalization, we need to be concerned about an increased number of drugged drivers on our roads. Welcome to America—land of the free, home of the stoned.

Please spread the word. Marijuana is called a “weed” for a reason. It’s bad for kids. It’s bad for adults. When I look at the crazy laws being passed in the United States today, I can’t help but wonder what our leaders are smoking.

J. Lee Grady is the former editor of Charisma and the director of The Mordecai Project (themordecaiproject.org). You can follow him on Twitter at leegrady. He is the author of The Holy Spirit Is Not for Sale and other books.

Clearly they know!   :bigok:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »

Yep. There is a ton of money going into the eradication of cannabis and police forces are getting lots of money for gear to fight drugs. From top to bottom everyone is making money off keeping it illegal.

do you not think the same amount of money would still flow, just for another purpose, if weed was legal?  or would the US simply end the war on drugs because one of them became legal? I'm not following the logic?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »

As was said....just substitute alcohol in that article everytime they say marijuana.  It would still be spot on.   ;D

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »

do you not think the same amount of money would still flow, just for another purpose, if weed was legal?  or would the US simply end the war on drugs because one of them became legal? I'm not following the logic?

It's estimated that $20 billion is spent annualy on marijuana prohibition alone. So yes, I do think it would save money. If the money still flows for other reasons is a political discussion.

NEW YORK -- Marijuana prohibition now costs state and federal government as much as $20 billion a year, an economist told The Huffington Post -- and legalization efforts are only just beginning to chip away at that.

That number comes from Jeffrey Miron, a senior lecturer at Harvard University who in 2010 studied the likely impacts of drug legalization, finding that about $8.7 billion would be saved on law enforcement and another $8.7 billion would be generated from taxes on marijuana. Accounting for inflation, that would add up to about $20 billion now, he said.

The number is modest in terms of the overall government budget -- but far too high a price to pay for a drug that does little to harm non-users, he argued.

As Miron acknowledges, his number is sort of a thought experiment, a suggestion of what would happen if marijuana was legalized on every level of government. Despite a recent Pew Research poll finding that 52 percent of Americans support marijuana legalization, politicians seem to only just now bewarming up to that proposition.

In Colorado and Washington, voters led the way in November referendums. But the rules and regulation around marijuana, which will be treated similarly to alcohol and tobacco under the states' laws, are only beginning to be hammered out.

During the runup to Washington's referendum, the state branch of the American Civil Liberties Union estimated that local governments spent $211 million on enforcing marijuana laws between 2000 and 2010.

Alison Holcomb, the state ACLU's drug policy director, told HuffPost that local governments are already reaping the rewards of legalization.

"Just within a week after the vote, county prosecutors across the state started dismissing misdemeanor marijuana possession cases that were pending at the time, and there were over 220 cases that were dismissed," she said. "So that was a very tangible example of the criminal justice costs that we were already saving, even before the actual initiative went into effect."

Although the potential marijuana tax revenues were a major selling point for voters in Colorado and Washington, neither state has yet decided how it will tax the green stuff. The states' decisions are being complicated by the Obama administration, which has yet to announce how it will respond to legalization.

If the feds take a hard line, said Miron, expect state tax collections to be insignificant. "I think a lot of their industries are going to stay sort of in the shadows. There's going to be very little tax revenue collected," he said.

Whatever happens to state treasuries, the human costs of marijuana laws are clear: around 750,000 people were arrested for marijuana-related crimes in 2011. That's one arrest every 42 seconds.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 10:12:28 AM »

As was said....just substitute alcohol in that article everytime they say marijuana.  It would still be spot on.   ;D

Exactly . . . human bodies simply don't react well to altered states . . . ...

Offline RedCBRRider

• Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200GSA
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 11:11:49 AM »
Sorry, have to wave the BS flag on most of that article.

Offline open sore

• Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki ZR1000, 2001 Yamaha XV16AT, 1994 Kawi ZX11
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »
They forgot to quote the source for most of the article:

Refer Madness:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028346/

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
Most of that article has the same spin as 'Reefer Madness", and intends to speak to the exact same people that the movie spoke to. Add in the authors livelihood of 'professional ordained minister',  and I can't lend any credence to his opinions couched as fact. This is the opposing personage to the dread-locked Trustafarian college freshman who has "All the information, man. Can't you see?". Neither is enough of a moderate to actually represent the truth.

LT
Great googly-moogly!