Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Focus is dead, long live the Jeep Liberty  (Read 20579 times)

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
Re: The Focus is dead, long live the Transit Connect
« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2020, 02:31:38 PM »
K, I know Bill and a few others that tow stuff read this.  I'm looking at ~10 year old F-250 crew cab pickups with very moderate miles on them because $60k+ is way out of my budget for new.  All things being equal, diesel or Triton V-10 gas?  I'm making a WAG that the diesel has more significantly grunt for pulling?  The difference in price for fuel is very minimal at the moment too, but who knows what the future brings.

What would YOU do?
--Tom

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2020, 03:07:42 PM »
I can only speak from experience towing survey boats (~25'-28') for the last 20yrs.  We only use diesel for tow rigs but have had to rent a gasser on a few occasions when one our tow sluts was in the shop.

There is a BIG difference in pulling power between the two and a big difference in fuel consumption, especially when towing.  So even if the current price per gallon between the two is negligible, you will consume considerably more gas than diesel.

Offline viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2020, 11:03:03 PM »
We have a 2005 F350, 4x4, long bed super duty diesel (6.0 powerstroke), and it needed extra work on our part to 'bulletproof' it. Our neighbor has a 2012 F350 dually diesel with a salvage title. $27,000, but had to go to Texas to get it. It's a 6.7 liter.

We've had both trucks pull our 31 ft bumper pull toy hauler. The 2012 just doesn't care. You can forget that you are towing something. With ours, we are a bit close to the tow limit, so we tow at 65 or less. You will need a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bars. Makes a big difference.

If you have more questions, I'll ask M.Brane to chime in.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2020, 04:47:43 AM »
@viffergyrl - yeah, wife was Ford EPA engine certification engineer back then.  I heard all about the Powerstroke and hope to buy a bit later version to avoid all those head stud issues.  The main F-250 in my sights is a 2010 XLT Lariat with the 6.4 dual turbo setup.  Less than 115k miles on the clock and loaded with power everything. 

Just googled 5th wheel hitches.  Dang, they’re real proud of the good ones.   :o
--Tom

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2020, 04:53:16 AM »
I've been through the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and the 6.7's.   6.7 is the beast of the bunch, but it does require filling the separate pig piss tank.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »
I've been through the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and the 6.7's.   6.7 is the beast of the bunch, but it does require filling the separate pig piss tank.

I don't speak from any kind of expertise regarding the big trucks.  I will say that my next truck will likely be a diesel and if I get one, it will either be the Cummins or the 6.7 from Ford.  Gas just works too hard pulling up hill and the stress of that alone justifies the diesel.  And I pull light trailers.  Ignore everything the manufacturer tells you about capacities.  Assume 60 to 70% of that number will be comfortable unless you are only camping in KS, NE and IA.  I'd also look at the one ton over the 3/4 because of payload.  Of course the dually will get you max but even a SRW will be much more significant payload than the 3/4.  Of course, I'll also put airbags on any future truck just for the control.  And as far as the blue hole is concerned, it probably won't be hard to find ones that have been "fixed". 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2020, 08:09:03 AM »
I personally have no experience, but I have several good friends on the construction industry that have tried all of them.  The big V10 gassers will do it, but at SIGNIFICANT fuel consumption.  I have two buddies that even went to the Ecoboost from Ford- while getting GREAT gas mileage with no towing, they really drink the gas once you hook up a trailer.

All of them have gone back to diesels for their towing rigs.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2020, 08:30:16 AM »
Thanks everyone.  As I suspected, diesel for towing is the go to system.  The TC has added a whopping 21k miles in nearly 3 years of ownership, so longevity isn't going to be too big of an issue for the next vehicle either.  I'll probably hit the local dealership up tomorrow to recheck their stock in person, taking van, title and stuff with me.  You know, JIC something tickles the fancy.
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #258 on: December 05, 2020, 03:22:21 PM »
Sadly, I'm having a hard time talking myself into a truck to haul a camper.  I've had second thoughts on what needs to fit in the garage....

I've sent the owner a text for more info.  He's just 10 miles away, but I'd rather ask questions first before eating into his weekend time.  There's another burgundy 2003 convertible about an hour south of me that's also in the running.  I'm so fickle, but I fit in their demographic perfectly.  Early 60s and retired.  My golf clubs will fit in it and that's all I need. 

--Tom

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2020, 03:56:05 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #260 on: December 05, 2020, 08:27:52 PM »
 :rolf:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2020, 09:16:58 PM »
Have you driven a vet Tom?  Fall in and climb out. . My ex father in-law had a C-6 and I got to drive it for a day. Coming from motorcycles I was under impressed with the performance. What really turned me off was pulling up to a light next to a Chrysler neon and having to look up at it. With that said I'm used to driving truck's. If we lived near better roads, I think it may be a fun choice but with the straight and shit roads we have here, I can't see why someone would want one. YMMV.  good luck with your decision

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2020, 12:30:09 AM »
No I haven’t driven one yet, but as a 5 Camaro veteran owner/driver, I’m familiar with the concept.   ;D   That should happen this week and we’ll roll from there.  Just disgusted with the lack of decent campers available in a 3 month search nearly nationwide.  I’ve rolled to see a few and most get eliminated with posted pictures where you can see damaged ceilings from water intrusion.

Full size Transits are similar in story.  Either $30k or beat to death and still $20k and throw $10k at repairs then build.

My last couple Camaros, the blue is a 1994, the platinum 'vert is a 2000.  It started in 1974 with a 1971. Had a 1986 IROC/Z-28 with the t-tops too.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 12:52:54 AM by sleazy rider »
--Tom

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #263 on: December 06, 2020, 08:20:41 AM »
Buy a Miata and spend the difference going to rallies (when they start happening again).
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2020, 10:35:24 AM »
Have you driven a vet Tom?  Fall in and climb out. . My ex father in-law had a C-6 and I got to drive it for a day. Coming from motorcycles I was under impressed with the performance. What really turned me off was pulling up to a light next to a Chrysler neon and having to look up at it. With that said I'm used to driving truck's. If we lived near better roads, I think it may be a fun choice but with the straight and shit roads we have here, I can't see why someone would want one. YMMV.  good luck with your decision

I'm a regular at yoga so I can keep climbing in and out of my BMW Z3 M Roadster.

The windshield is about even with the lug nuts on the GrowDozers in Old melvilleville.

But totally worth it when ripping it up in the mountains!

Like riding a moto, the gas savings will pay for the hotel room rather than a campsite mit hook ups.  In the morning, someone else makes the bed and deals with the wet towels.  And I never need to pump the blackwater tank out.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #265 on: December 06, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
Buy a Miata and spend the difference going to rallies (when they start happening again).

HUH??  On a whim, I looked at nice "used" Miatas.  I can get a nice newer Corvette for what they're fetching. 
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2020, 02:06:26 PM »

I'm a regular at yoga so I can keep climbing in and out of my BMW Z3 M Roadster.

The windshield is about even with the lug nuts on the GrowDozers in Old melvilleville.

But totally worth it when ripping it up in the mountains!

Like riding a moto, the gas savings will pay for the hotel room rather than a campsite mit hook ups.  In the morning, someone else makes the bed and deals with the wet towels.  And I never need to pump the blackwater tank out.

Yup, my knees are bone on bone shot.  I stretch daily to keep the flexibility/strength up and pain down.  Bikes are too much weight at an inopportune time anymore, clunk on it's side.  I could do a hack rig, but BTDT and frankly, I'd rather have a removable roof at this point.

My first adventure with whatever gets into the driveway is a two week trip to Houston again.  Got a bed and kitchen open at the youngest son's house.  It's warm enough in January to play golf with him and walk all the dogs.  In shorts.   :smiley_thumb: 
--Tom

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »

HUH??  On a whim, I looked at nice "used" Miatas.  I can get a nice newer Corvette for what they're fetching.

Was a just a suggestion.  I've been seriously considering getting a sporty car for sunny Sundays, but I've only looked at new or late models.  The few people I know who had corvettes have all complained about the frequency of routine maintenance.  I got the impression it's more than just routine oil changes.  I don't hear that about porsches or miattas.   
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2020, 04:25:43 PM »
It just kinda took me by surprise!  Used Miatas were running $7-8k from what I remember back a bit.  Heck, a Mini-Cooper S could be interesting too. 
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2020, 03:39:07 PM »
Right turn, Clyde!

Bought a Michigan winter playtoy.  2002 Jeep Liberty 4x4 V6 in reasonably good shape, REAL CHEAP.  Runs/drives/burns rubber well.   :naughty:  Drifts good in the dirt too.  Had the oil & filter changed on the way home.  Needs the cat back exhaust replaced, new rockers and a damn good cleaning.  Belonged to a messy female college freshman.  Lots of spills on the upholstery, but I have an upholstery cleaning machine and the weather's supposed to go into the high 40s by the end of the week.  I'll get it cleaned up and toss it in the garage with an electric heater inside overnight. 

Pics because it happened.

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #270 on: December 13, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »
Forward progress this week!  New wheels and AT tires, oil pressure sender, wiper blades, fluids mostly changed, interior had first pass with shop vac and carpet extractor run.  She’s shaping up nice.

Quieter now too with the cat back exhaust in place of the rotten muffler.  It still grumbles, but doesn’t rattle windows.  :lol
--Tom

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #271 on: December 13, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
A friend in North Dakota had one and really liked it.  It's a nice design, especially how the rounded headlights were blended into the hood and fenders.  Handy size, too.   :D 

I noticed some rust, the bane of the North.  I'm not looking forward to what the move to Rustwaukee will do to my vehicles.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #272 on: December 13, 2020, 07:16:59 PM »
Yeah, it kinda reminds me of the old CJs, but with a hard top and comfortable interior.  What's left of those rockers will be chopped out and new metal welded in come decent weather in spring.  They're hard to look at considering how well the mechanical work is going on this little beastie.  Only thing needing immediate attention anymore is the front driveshaft's rear CV has failed.  Parts are on the bench to do it in the next day or so.  I want to take a look at the brake pads soon too, because they're an unknown quantity.

Once I get the cash back in the bank by February from the purchase, it'll be time to hunt down a small pop up camper and refit it too.  My idea is to do a spring over axle conversion to get lots of ground clearance for off-grid camping.
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #273 on: December 24, 2020, 09:23:37 AM »
Slow progress in the rebuild.  Parts suppliers have sent me a few wrong parts and when starting to tear stuff down, I've found more stuff that was needed.  Front drive shaft is giving me fits due to rust.  Rear CV joint is bad, but the attachment bolts are rusted in badly.  Front bolts came right out, three of six in the rear are out and the others have rounded off even using high strength six point sockets.  Ended up cutting heads off, but the CV is physically rusted into the transfer case joint.  Soaking with industrial strength penetrating fluid has not made it yield.  YET. I may resort to the air chisel.  You WILL surrender, sucka!

New stereo with integral GPS and speakers are in.  Wheels and tires are replaced and on!  Waiting on the correct suspension lift to arrive.  The last one came missing main parts from Amazon.  :bluduh:   Ordered a front brush guard to arrive in a week or so.  Dug some off road accessories out from the Transit Connect un-build.  Cargo basket looks good on the roof rack.  Gonna have to wait to install it when the Jeep's outside.  It's going to barely clear with the roof rack bars off and the lift kit installed.

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
Re: The Focus is dead, long live the Jeep Liberty
« Reply #274 on: January 01, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »
Had the front plastic all off to check stuff out.  While it was apart, I pulled the grille slats, cleaned up up good and tossed a fresh coat of satin black on 'em.  That's all on and my stainless grille guard showed up a couple days ago.  So, why not put it on too?  On a roll, so to speak.

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2021, 07:08:35 AM »
Got the front end up in the air and on jack stands.  Front wheels off, started dismantling the front driver's side suspension.  Battery, battery tray and under hood fuse box needed to come out for access to the top strut fasteners.  Looked at the brake pads and rotors, ordered new.   :bluduh: 

Whoever did the last brake job only stuffed new pads in, but the rotors are worn well beyond service limits.  Put new rear brake shoes on the order without looking too.  That should bring the pedal feel back to normal.  I've already flushed the entire system with fresh fluid.
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2021, 07:51:44 AM »
This is fun.  Neighbor had a Liberty back in the day.  Never considered it much of a true off roader.  I had to pull one out of a small snow pile w/ my Ranger once and that pretty much forever labeled it as meh in my mind.  Glad to see you altering my mindset.   Liking the brush guard.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2021, 03:56:04 PM »
The boys over on the Liberty forum have some interesting adventures.  Serious off-roading, but rock crawling isn't it's forte.  We just can't get enough suspension travel built into one without doing major revamp on the front end.  Like tear it all out and do a live axle swap along with re-engineering the rest of the stuff.

Amazon was kind enough to drop my LED light bar off today.  Got it mounted to the brush guard, but still need to wire it up next week.  Suspension is priority to get it back on the ground and useable.  We got a healthy snowfall overnight with ice underneath.
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #278 on: January 10, 2021, 11:54:52 AM »
Brake job day!

Got the driver's front side brakes pulled down and started inspecting. Whoever did this the last time needs a hard rusty rotor  to the forehead. The original metal pad guides were mostly rusted away and stuck to the caliper frame, so they just stuffed the new guides in over the old. No wonder the pads weren't moving. They were jammed in place.

Used a small chisel and hammer to clean the rusted crud out, then used a scotchbrite wheel to remove the rusty stuff. It's smooth now and the new guides popped right in. Amazingly, the pads popped right into place too.I pulled the slide pins out of the caliper frame with a pair of pliers, shot brake clean into the housing and flushed the ancient hard crud out. Rebuilt the slide pins with new protective boots and rubber sleeve with fresh grease liberally applied. They move now!  :smiley_thumb:

I'm really thinking I should do new calipers because the old ones are original and I don't trust the piston rubber to last much longer. I got them pushed in with a c-clamp ok, but....

The whole system will get rebled when done because I have the fluid and a power bleeder.Needed a run to AutoZone for more brake clean and pin grease. Grabbed a set of rear drums while I was there because the front condition scared me enough to go all new parts in back too. DAMMIT!

I used to make good money for this skill set.

Passenger side was cakewalk. Pulled it apart, swapped the guides, new rubber on the slide pins, greased and back together lickety split. Wheels on, jackstands out and on the floor. Started the bugger and pumped up the calipers. Great pedal feel now.  Looks like there was a new caliper installed on that side during the last brake change.  Think I'll get the new driver's side caliper and call it good.

On to the back in 30.  They scare me because of the grinding coming from there.   :o
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2021, 02:50:39 PM »
 :bluduh:

Done wore plumb out in back.  Had to pry the drums off to reveal the full damage.  Not just worn pads, worn backing pads on the shoes. 

It's been far too long since I've done drum brakes.  No money made today and full stop till tomorrow and a dealer trip.  The adjuster cables are frayed.  Ain't no fixing that without new parts.

--Tom

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2021, 05:33:15 PM »
Heck of a lot of work, but congrats on being able to do it yourself!

I like the Tolkien quote on your spare tire cover.   ;)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh