Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Focus is dead, long live the Transit Connect  (Read 18392 times)

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
Re: The Focus is dead, long live the Transit Connect
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2019, 09:26:44 AM »
These were the bars from NY:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Transit-Connect-2010-13-J1000-bolt-on-ladder-roof-rack-50-bars/282042386465?fits=Year%3A2010%7CModel%3ATransit+Connect%7CSubmodel%3AXLT%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.0L%7CMake%3AFord%7CTrim%3AXLT+Mini+Passenger+Van+4-Door%7CEngine%3A2.0L+121Cu.+In.+l4+GAS+DOHC+Naturally+Aspirated&epid=676419466&hash=item41ab094821:g:MeYAAOSwPgxVMTFS

I had a bit of a struggle getting the cheap cargo carrier to mount to the bars.  Spacing is a bit off, but putting it all together loose, then working my way around, it finally tightened down ok.  The basket came back off because wind noise was horrendous empty and it wasn't needed now.

The crossbars are 2.5" wide and about an inch top to bottom. 

--Tom

Online tankhead

« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2019, 03:56:15 PM »
Thanks so much for that information.  Best of luck with the build out.  I was already to build mine out today with wood but in the end I decided to continue to sleep on the bed of the van and use a cargo net attached to the tie downs while in transport. I will be getting a rack system with a cargo box ..Cheers, Mate

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
Thanks so much for that information.  Best of luck with the build out.  I was already to build mine out today with wood but in the end I decided to continue to sleep on the bed of the van and use a cargo net attached to the tie downs while in transport. I will be getting a rack system with a cargo box ..Cheers, Mate

I'm going to go simple also.  Fresh fitted carpet and a cot with sleeping bag for overnighters and maybe an electric cooler.  Since I got the pop up camper, I'm going to live high on the hog.  Looking at the space or lack thereof made up my mind.
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2019, 02:40:28 PM »
It lives! 

Finally got the strength and energy to get it out.  Doesn't hurt the sun's out and no appreciable breeze.  The 110v power is plugged in.  The new storage battery's charging well per the multimeter.  Fridge is turned on and cooling.  Tires are changed over to new and the good used tire went on as the spare under the tire cover.  Fixed the one broken pull out bed prop rod with a 3/4' copper union.  It fit so well and is stronger than the original metal, I should patent the process.  Drilled and added four rivets with the air riveter to keep it in place.

My box of repair parts showed up and the power plug well got changed to a true latching cover.  Fresh water inlet now has a dust cover to keep the crud out.  I need to purge the fresh water system when it warms up a touch.  I don't want to redo the RV antifreeze after getting it all cleaned out.

Still have to install the propane tank cover after I close the end up.  Tossed the new water pressure control into the storage drawer.  It'll go onto the fresh water hose when I get one.

I'll get some more pictures of the interior shortly.  Needs a good wipe down and sweeping first.

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2019, 03:03:23 PM »
Inside....

The dogs are about as ready as me to get outta dodge.

On the bed are the high pressure outside stove and the awning screen room. 
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2019, 01:59:12 PM »
Last project for a bit on the van.  The new carpet is installed.  I'm still kicking the idea of sleeping arrangements in the back for those short overnight stops instead of setting up the camper.

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2019, 11:03:37 AM »
The ideas percolated into action.  I'm actively building a wood frame 24" wide x 72" long and 21" high for sleeping and storage in the van.  All I'm lacking is the trim wood to be gotten later this afternoon.  I also stole someone else's idea here on sleeping pads and tilting panels to raise the end.  It'll be here in about a week and full pictures of everything then.  The front's been left open for my thermoelectric cooler and two dog beds. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GranRest-4-Tri-Folding-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Blue/945938226?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227122739990&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=234305090584&wl4=pla-386995841263&wl5=9017006&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=945938226&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhiq5QOM-2D9M9TLxLRUlf3ScvbyRKX1meYOKx3LkWfQkxTpgU-IdZhoCR4MQAvD_BwE

I also found a deal on a pedestal table that will fit my laptop and be good for eating indoors.  Ergos with the bed as a bench work perfectly for me. 

Pedestal table:  https://www.amazon.com/Detmar-12-1106C-Removable-Rectangular-Marine/dp/B0000AZ89Y/ref=sr_1_8?hvadid=241919958663&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9021553&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11247315460735886809&hvtargid=kwd-22465980357&keywords=rv+pedestal+table&qid=1556289198&s=gateway&sr=8-8

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
M'kay!  Now that the pop up has moved on.....

Back to the van conversion for the interim.  Ripped the old bed frame out, hacked and whacked it to fit around the wheel well and make it fit tighter the right wall.  Once that was how I wanted it, I cut all new nice wood to make it up properly.  Painted the frame, filled the body with plywood and carpeted it to match the van.  Table is installed and is now the proper height for seated at it.  (I lowered the bed frame a few inches and shortened it by 4" to allow the passenger seat to recline again.  Bed is now 68"Lx25"Wx18"H and perfect for this short old gnome.

Frame still needs a full bottom of 1/8" lauan plywood to contain the front area's stuff.  Mañana!  Need to track down some storage bins in the proper size to fit under the bed.

New 19" LED TV has been picked up, awaiting the rest of the supplies for the installation this coming week. 

I pulled the left caps off the roof rack bars to expose the threaded mount points.  The awning is moving up to there, gaining nearly 12" in head room and won't interfere with the sliding door operation.

Reinstalled the cargo carrier on the roof.  Planning on adding solar sooner rather than later and it'll serve as the solar panel carrier and tv antenna mount.  I have two very nice LED driving lights to go on the front bumper for night stalking boondocks campsites.
--Tom

Online tankhead

« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2019, 06:19:41 PM »
It all looks so great!!!!

Are you towing the camper with the transit?  Just asking, how much does the camper weigh?

Thanks in advance.

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2019, 12:39:30 AM »
Decided to go in a different direction with the camper.  It sold on Tuesday to a local couple.  Will start shopping come spring for a full on motorized RV.  The van was set up with an electric brake controller to tow the pop up.  It weighed 2200 pounds and the TC handled it easily.
--Tom

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2019, 09:29:34 AM »
Class A or class C? You kinda have a B.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2019, 09:34:43 AM »
Class A or class C? You kinda have a B.

Yes.  I’m leaning hard towards A, but if a C screaming deal popped up.....
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2019, 08:43:55 AM »

Solar power decision...

Pulled the trigger after debating permanent install or stowable suitcase type. Cargo storage on the roof won out, ended up with a Renogy 200w suitcase kit that will stow under my bed or strapped down in the cargo carrier when not in use. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W1S43K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon was nearly $100 cheaper than Renogy directly and I'll have it tomorrow by Prime shipping.  AutoZone has my storage battery and enclosure in stock, so this weekend I'll get it all rigged up and tested. Now to decide on an inverter and size. 

I won't be the a-hole at the campground or BLM land with a noisy generator anymore. The van is also set up for campground 110v power inside.  Boondocking time!  Just add water.

TV install is nearly complete.  Need to do the antenna pass thru today.
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »
Renogy Solar suitcase ordered and received from Amazon.  It's a 200w system with controller mounted behind the panels.  Just add batteries!  Includes a nice canvas storage case with zippers.  Picking up two 95Ah deep cycle batteries and cases later today from AutoZone.

It's got some weight to it! 

--Tom

Online tankhead

« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2019, 10:00:04 AM »
What is the towing capacity of the transit van???

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »
What is the towing capacity of the transit van???

Per Ford's manual, 1550#, but I towed the 2200# pop up with ease and got 23 mpg doing it.  I'll be hauling the new to me bike on a Kendon trailer while camping.
--Tom

Online tankhead

« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »
See this is my confusion.... I have the Promaster city with towing at #2000 max.  The trailer I want to get is 1755#.  Everyone I talk to says it still doesn't matter dry weight VS what you are storing plus water tank weight so the Promaster city would not be the van for my purpose.  But then I read what you say and I wonder if I will be OK with what I have.  But then I saw a guy towing the camper that we want with a freaking mini cooper and he has done 20,000 miles without a problem.....
Whatcha think?

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2019, 10:23:06 AM »
I'm a big fan of staying under the factory limits. Sure you can PULL more than rated, but what about trying to stop it? Once you pass a certain weight threshold above the rated limit, it becomes the tail wagging the dog. Not a good situation to be in. Just my 2 cents.

Online tankhead

« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2019, 10:26:15 AM »
Wouldn't a good brake controller help with that?

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »
I'm a big fan of staying under the factory limits. Sure you can PULL more than rated, but what about trying to stop it? Once you pass a certain weight threshold above the rated limit, it becomes the tail wagging the dog. Not a good situation to be in. Just my 2 cents.

Electric brakes for the win.  I never knew it was back there with them hooked up and adjusted.  I had to panic stop one time.  No hair raised, no pucker factor or anything.

Don't tow a trailer filled with water.  It's a good way to twist stuff.  If needed, I'd fill up at a locale close to the campground if the cg didn't have water.

--Tom

Online tankhead

« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »

Electric brakes for the win.  I never knew it was back there with them hooked up and adjusted.  I had to panic stop one time.  No hair raised, no pucker factor or anything.

Don't tow a trailer filled with water.  It's a good way to twist stuff.  If needed, I'd fill up at a locale close to the campground if the cg didn't have water.

I was taught to always have a little water in the black tank to swish 'Shit" around so it doesn't dry in the tank and or pipe...

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2019, 02:23:46 PM »

I was taught to always have a little water in the black tank to swish 'Shit" around so it doesn't dry in the tank and or pipe...

For that, yes, but it's generally drained and flushed before moving the camper also.  Leave a few gallons of water with the enzyme compound in it.  I was referring to the fresh and grey water tanks. 
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2019, 06:45:25 PM »
Almost forgot!  Battery and a 750w inverter are in the van now.  I feel a shakedown coming on, timed to have coffee in Wisconsin on Sunday next.  Maybe a run to Copper Harbor first for a free beer at Brickside.

**scratched for weather**
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:12:34 AM by sleazy rider »
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2019, 11:10:12 AM »
Well, the solar package is all together and functioning!  I got it hooked up this morning and deployed the panels to top up the battery before using it.  I love getting 110V/12vdc power with no moving parts.  I figured the 750w inverter was more than up to the demand I'd put on it.  The only thing running off it is the tv/Firestick at night.  Total power draw is in the "is it running?" category.  I'll toss the cooler into the mix during the day to keep the food cold, but it'll be off at night.  The Coleman thermo cooler holds a temperature well.

The battery is out from under it's home in the bench because I wanted to put a physical multimeter on it for my curiosity.
--Tom

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2019, 11:57:33 AM »
Do you have a vent on the battery running outside? Might be worth doing so if not, just to cut down on vapors, and to get the caustic condensation out of the living quarters completely, as minimal as it may be.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2019, 12:02:44 PM »
Do you have a vent on the battery running outside? Might be worth doing so if not, just to cut down on vapors, and to get the caustic condensation out of the living quarters completely, as minimal as it may be.

Sealed lead acid battery, no fumes, no vent port. 
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »

WAY under.  If there is any question about whether or not its OK or close enough, it's probably not OK.  If you're pulling from one flat spot to another then maybe you can get away with close margins.  But braking is real, swerving is real, wind is real, gravity is real and they will all conspire to ruin one or more of your days.  And when they do, it can be bad.  Having had a very bad situation quickly escalate to a nearly deadly situation, I wouldn't press it.  Less camper or more hauler is always the better bet. 

Also, I haul water sometimes.  Because I can.  Because I'm at about 60-70% of the trucks capacity so I have a healthy reserve.  :)  And 400 lbs of water ain't gonna break me.  That reserve is really nice.  Gives you much flexibility in buying stuff on the road too. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »
Well, I tried.  Camped last night at Gladstone Bay park.  Very nice place, except for the wind.  And the rain.  Did I mention the wind?   :o

Booked a room for the next two nights near Milwaukee and will treat myself to some luxury.  It’s still pouring down in northern Wisconsin.
--Tom

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »
Hence why, nope. My camping out days are behind me at this point. Last time I camped out proper, the ex and I took the Harley up to Hershey PA to see a concert and camp out over night. She hated camping, which I learned on that trip, and it rained. A lot. That was the last time any of the proper camping gear was out of the totes, and as far as I know, she sold it all at yard sale after we split up. I like cabin "camping" (which isn't really camping at all). Mostly I just like camp fires and open-fire cooking. Beyond that, gimme a proper bed, proper shower, and proper roof.  :D

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »
If I were by myself, no pets?  I’d still be there, but dogs require space and lots of exercise.  Hard to do when they hate going out in the rain. 
--Tom

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2019, 02:06:51 PM »
If I were by myself, no pets?  I’d still be there, but dogs require space and lots of exercise.  Hard to do when they hate going out in the rain.

I hear that.  :thumbsup:

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »
New addition to free up some interior space - the Harbor Freight hitch cargo carrier and weather resistant bag. 

I'm lazy, it's being shipped to the house.  All the Rubbermaid totes will come out from under the bed and go onto the carrier.  It'll hold all four totes with a bit of room to spare for the propane stove, cabin tent and air inflatable couch.  Four totes - dog's stuff, non-perishable foods, cooking and eating stuff and my clothes.

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »
Well, the carrier arrived in two days.  The weather resistant bag won't be here for a week.

Seems well constructed and complete.  I added a dab of red loctite on all the bolts just because.  The new totes will have plenty of space for all four and then some!

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2019, 05:43:31 AM »
Seven plus weeks on the road showed some deficiencies in my home brew design.  Sooooo, van is empty/gutted and new plan is in design phase.  Measurements taken, some accessories ordered and other creature comforts being searched for.  Biggest deal will be a new foam mattress.  The three section fold up pad was excellent, but it now needs to be shorter to fit in the new bed space.  Current thinking is to whack one pad down to make it fit and have a friend resew the cover to fit.  The hitch mount cargo tray is going away.  Everything will be inside except the new to traveling mountain bicycle on a hitch mount.

The Coleman thermoelectric cooler is going away and a true compressor cooler like an IceCo VF45 will take it's place on a slide out tray under the bed.  Energy consumption goes way down, efficiency goes up by a similar amount.  A second battery will be added to the solar system also.  A small fresh water system with an on demand heater is in the planning stages.

I just ordered a new TCL 28" smart TV and a mini sound bar to replace the POS Insignia from Best Buy.  I had no idea that cheap ass BB thing wouldn't adjust picture to fit the screen on OTA channels.  Seriously, it was all over the place on picture sizing.  Some channels would fill the screen, others were framed in black empty space and couldn't be made to fit.  I have a large TCL in the house and it's a screaming deal on a decent tv. 

The Camping World purchased outdoor portable TV antenna was impressive.  No matter where I stopped, I got OTA channels for late night viewing.

Tomorrow, the wall insulation and a padded/carpeted 3/4" plywood floor is going down. No more cold feet or interior wind chill happening for me.  Trying to decide if I want to panel the walls with thin plywood and paint or fabric or just let it be as is. 

And, a new road trip is in the planning stages too.  "Go west, old fart" will happen in 2020.  It may just include a go well south phase too. (I forgot to pack my passport on the last trip or it would have happened already)  :bluduh:   More stealth camping, less campground stuff in the works too.
--Tom

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '20 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, 1996 HD Road King '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2019, 06:18:48 AM »
Damn Skippy.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2019, 06:31:00 AM »
I dig this thread.  Well played, sir. 

Figured that hitch carrier would be short lived. 

Better off with one of these:  https://www.upadowna.org/lets-go-aero-gearwagon-at/  :)

Pulled one from DFW to Yellowstone and back w/ a Jetta.  Zero issues. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2019, 07:26:37 AM »
I dig this thread.  Well played, sir. 

Figured that hitch carrier would be short lived. 

Better off with one of these:  https://www.upadowna.org/lets-go-aero-gearwagon-at/  :)

Pulled one from DFW to Yellowstone and back w/ a Jetta.  Zero issues.

Nope, no trailers either. Towed similar with my Goldwing.  No more.  The hitch carrier worked to a point.  I just got tired of digging totes out and shuffling stuff.  It never dragged, never moved and worked ok.  The carrier and the roof basket will go on local CL and go fairly quick.  May toss the Coleman thermo cooler on there as well.  It'll make a small dent in the Iceco fridge cost.   :o   They're proud of them thangs, but they just work.

Uhhhh, shit.  I just found an Iceco 45 on eBay for a very reasonable price from the manufacturer.   :facepalm:

ETA:  shoulda jumped when I saw it 30 minutes ago.  It's gone.   :lol:
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2019, 03:38:37 PM »
Since gutting the first attempt at an RV conversion, I've ordered several parts to be delivered. Had enough of the indoor outdoor carpeting on hand to re-do the floor properly. 1/2" plywood cut to fit, 1/2" carpet padding and then the carpet was stapled to it all. Looks MUCH better and I'm betting my feet are warmer too.

I haz a pretty firm plan to follow now, too.  It's going to take a couple months of off and on work to get it right.  Parts will be ordered as money allows.  Got a beautiful 110v Cadet space heater bookmarked that'll fit right into the bed pedestal with all the wiring hidden.  No more cold nights in the campground!!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cadet-EnergyPlus-1600-Watt-120-240-Volt-Fan-Heater-4-in-L-x-12-in-H-Grille/1000069673

Tomorrow, I'll run up and get the lumber to start framing up the bed stand.  One step at a time.  This will be more functional and dressy because I can.  Iceco JP50 chest fridge with insulated cover and adequate dual voltage wiring scored on Amazon for $200 off. :wings:  It was merely outrageous in cost with the price break.

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2020, 11:20:46 AM »
Reconstruction has begun.  I've got the front and rear bed frame bulkheads knocked together and yeah, this will work much better for free space, storage and sleeping.  Fridge is due here Monday to let me get everything locked down for size.  Next step will be building a pull out shelf for it that will connect the front and rear bed frames.  It even gives me an out of the way place for the solar panels to reside.  Once this is framed up, I'll move on to wiring everything for 12v and 110v.  Four 110 outlets, a couple places with USB charging ports and a couple cigarette lighter sockets for the laptop and GPS programming. 

New TCL 28" tv and mini-sound bar showed up yesterday.  Sound bar mounts should be here Tuesday.  It's been unpacked and temporarily attached to the RV TV swivel mount.  That'll go back in when the bed gets it's hinged top.

No pics yet because I may reframe the rear bulkhead.  Not sure I like the way it sits now.  I'm also not impressed with Home Depot wood.  It's splitting far too much for my tastes.

--Tom

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2020, 08:27:42 AM »
Reconstruction has begun.  I've got the front and rear bed frame bulkheads knocked together and yeah, this will work much better for free space, storage and sleeping.  Fridge is due here Monday to let me get everything locked down for size.  Next step will be building a pull out shelf for it that will connect the front and rear bed frames.  It even gives me an out of the way place for the solar panels to reside.  Once this is framed up, I'll move on to wiring everything for 12v and 110v.  Four 110 outlets, a couple places with USB charging ports and a couple cigarette lighter sockets for the laptop and GPS programming. 
New TCL 28" tv and mini-sound bar showed up yesterday.  Sound bar mounts should be here Tuesday.  It's been unpacked and temporarily attached to the RV TV swivel mount.  That'll go back in when the bed gets it's hinged top.
No pics yet because I may reframe the rear bulkhead.  Not sure I like the way it sits now.  I'm also not impressed with Home Depot wood.  It's splitting far too much for my tastes.
Thanks Tom and please keep sharing. :popcorn:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #190 on: January 07, 2020, 05:53:47 AM »
The new van fridge arrived yesterday.  After a careful unpacking and general inspection to ensure no damage, it was left to sit upright and let the coolant settle into its proper place for a few hours.  Just before bedtime, it was plugged in to 110v and set to cool to 40*.  After the first cup of coffee, I tested the temp with my IR gun. 

:bigok:

First impressions are it’s extremely quiet and very efficient.  I haven’t heard it kick on since waking up this morning and temperature seems to hold well.  Best news?  I haven’t even installed the insulated cover yet!
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2020, 06:09:37 AM »
Also in the mail yesterday?  My outdoor welcome flag.   ;D

I tried installing the new TV on its mount yesterday.  The bigger tv doesn't clear in the current location and the mount is just too high up for a 28" tv.  Bit the bullet, ordered a new mount yesterday, should be here Friday allowing me to lower the mount point and hopefully everything will clear ok. 

Off to the Dr's office today.  This cold just isn't breaking.  It *may* have gone into pneumonia at this point because my chest is rather heavy.  Time to get some x-rays and stuff done.  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.  My youngest son lost a longtime friend two days ago to bronchial pneumonia at the way too young age of 27.  Put the fear in me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:24:18 AM by sleazy rider »
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2020, 07:58:07 AM »
And for the cooler curious...

It appears it will easily hold a 12 pack of cans with plenty of room in the steel basket for real food and the upper compartment for veggies.  Debating on the handle install, I decided to go with them and save the press in socket plugs in case I change my mind.  The insulated cover will go on when it goes in the van.  The white basket divider is removable for larger items.

If you're on the fence for one of these, I'll keep this updated as I use it the first time.  90% of the online reviews are good with the 10% either having immediate issues, inability to follow directions or just stupidity.  If you need a Coleman 40 qt thermo-electric cooler, I has one with the home power adapter available.   ;D
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2020, 04:29:50 AM »
Yay drugs!  Feeling human today, the best in 6 weeks now.

I've got a shopping list and a plan of things to do over the next two days on the van.  The bed enclosure should be nearly done by then.  It's all framed up and most of the top surface installed with hinges.  I did end up redoing the rear bulkhead and its much more nicer.  lol I need a new jigsaw for trim work cuz my 35 year old one is MIA.  The bed pedestal will be wrapped in pre-finished shiplap siding because it's beautiful and less expensive than tacky '70s paneling.

All the TV stuff is here.  New locking wall mount, speaker bar mounts, 28" TCL smart tv and 16" ONN speaker bar.  It's almost all together except for some minor hardware to get today. 

Pictures tomorrow afternoon.  ;)
--Tom

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '20 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, 1996 HD Road King '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2020, 04:39:57 AM »
Better living through chemistry.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2020, 11:26:22 AM »
I had sent a query to WFCO for technical info on their RV power distribution systems.  Quickly responded, got the needed info and reassurance.  Ordered a complete 110v/12v system for the project.  I'll have circuit breaker protected 110ac and fused 12vdc legs to wire everything properly.  When on shore power, the battery bank will also charge without deploying the solar panels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-CAMPER-WFCO-8735-35-Amp-Power-Center-Converter-Battery-Charger-WF-8735-P/283480448622?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

While out getting stuff today, I grabbed the outlet boxes, outlets and covers for this.  Still need to get the breakers, but that'll happen when the PDC is in hand with it's manual.

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2020, 01:43:12 PM »
Heh, thought I had more energy on tap than this.  All parts gotten, pull out fridge shelf cut and mounts installed.  I’m done.  lol
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »
The wife just updated her fall work schedule.   :naughty:   A week in Hesperia, CA the week before Labor Day.  Yup, west coast here we come!  Better yet, I'm booked into the ADV Peace Party Rally in Cedar Vale, KS a week after this gig.  Dayum, here we go again!  It's a solid week to get out there at my retired pace. 

I found a Forest Service campground 20 miles SW of Hesperia for $10 a night in the San Bernardino National Forest with rush restrooms and showers, no hookups.   :wings:
--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2020, 11:56:49 AM »
Not much headway, but some pics to date.  The fridge shelf is full pull out.  Next up, finish the top of the bed and get the new tv mount up.

--Tom

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2020, 03:13:37 PM »
Summer road trip dance calendar is filling up quick.  Just got an invite to Idaho with the wife for the first week of June.  It'll be a three plus week trip for me since she'll be out and about on jobs too.   ;D

Revised the build plan last night to add a 30" wide by 15" deep cabinet with counter top next to the bed for the coffee pot and stove.

The 27" smart TV/speaker bar and mount are installed as of this morning with some air cutoff tool mods for sizing.  Still gotta attach the coax to the external antenna port and connect the speaker, but it's just little details.  Battery box and battery got permanently installed too.  Back to Home Depot for some more 2x2s to frame up the new cabinet in the morning.  Need some staples for my air stapler gun too.

The power distribution center is here, but I'm not ready yet.  Need to add a support brace and put the back 5mm lauan plywood on the bed!  More money out.  I'll get some free cardboard at the store to template up the bed wall covers
--Tom