Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nearly brain dead Zumo 660  (Read 3115 times)

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
Nearly brain dead Zumo 660
« on: June 02, 2018, 09:06:20 PM »
My 660 has suffered one drop too many and now ignores the power switch. The good news is it powers up when put in the bike mount. Take it out of the mount and it threatens to power down sooner or later. I push the sooner button on the screen.

What are some options? I guess I'm condemned to live with Garmin. After all, I did pay for both US and Euro-land maps. What are some realistic (i.e., don't need a second mortgage) choices? "Be specific and give examples."
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
Re: Nearly brain dead Zumo 660
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »
Send it for repair: http://www.palmdr.com/cart/repair-services-gps-repairs-c-31_32.html

The newest but not most expensive, zumo 396 lmt-s
Ride safe!

Online naustin

• Motorcycles: '16 FJR
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 09:31:37 PM »
I’ve had issues with my 595.  Still don’t trust it. 

There are no good options.  Apps arent there yet, but I’m hoping the next step for me will be the smartphone. That is the best solution if all you need is point to point navigation, and then media/phone.   

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 09:47:38 PM »
Paper atlas + dead reckoning + cheap GPS to extricate you should you become lost = big, big fun*.

*YMMV. This is not a guarantee. Only effective if you like "where does that road go?" seat of the pants travel.
(Bonus: Cheap GPS also provides a record of "Where the hell was I?" for the ride report.)
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 01:18:29 AM »
There is alway Paper Maps. No batteries, no wires, they work in any location and no subscription needed, heck if you belong to AAA they are free  :bigok:
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 02:38:35 AM »
What are some options? I guess I'm condemned to live with Garmin. After all, I did pay for both US and Euro-land maps. What are some realistic (i.e., don't need a second mortgage) choices? "Be specific and give examples."

I am really enjoying my Zūmo 590LM. It does what I want, when I want it to. The only issue I've had was when it would not fully charge off the bike. The solution was to do a full, manual reset. This was annoying, as it did a full wipe of my saved places, but at least it "fixed" it.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 04:52:53 AM »
I'm with DD.  I find the 590 much more useful over the 390 for travel.  As far as your maps go, they don't transfer unless you have the SD card versions.

Or... MY CHOICE would be - Send the 660 back to Garmin for a reconditioning.  They work wonders for $150 and you get to keep your maps.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:10:32 AM by sleazy rider »
--Tom

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 07:57:28 AM »
See other thread in the last week for Zumo 395 for 329 US (mit der tire pressure monitoring).
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 08:06:39 AM »
I had same thing happen with my Zumo 220. Still kept using it on my GS. Was a PITA on my TW, cuz I ran off the battery!  Just bought the 395 for my LT.  I usually love Garmin but every time I switch from model it seem like they change the things I like most about my previous GPS!
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '08 Wee & an overweight Connie
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »

There are no good options.  Apps arent there yet, but I’m hoping the next step for me will be the smartphone. That is the best solution if all you need is point to point navigation, and then media/phone.   

+1 

Next time I will buy a different brand.  Or use my phone. 

Garmin has totally jumped the shark on motorcycle GPS.  I'm not sure if they want to be a smartphone maker or a social media developer, but it sure don't seem like they want to make route guidance devices.  Maybe they'll get it together on the next version. 

Just back from a 3 week trip through Germany using my 595 to navigate custom routes (on 4-wheels), and it was frustrating to use and overall performance was disappointing.  I've always been disappointed with the 595 on my bike, but I expected to like it more as a car-based device. I didn't. Wish I had taken my 550 instead.  The improvements Garmin made in connectivity on the 595 hardly compensate for loss of simple functionality from the 550.

No point going into the details since Garmin appears deaf to the user community.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 02:11:05 PM »
Love my TomTom Rider 400.
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline oilhed

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »
Love my TomTom Rider 400.
Now I read this!

Three things I demand is browse map and select destination, use two street intersection as destination and select fastest route or shortest distance. 
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »
Send it for repair: http://www.palmdr.com/cart/repair-services-gps-repairs-c-31_32.html

Message sent to PalmDr.

Great thanks!

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 09:21:09 PM »

+1 

Next time I will buy a different brand.  Or use my phone. 

Garmin has totally jumped the shark on motorcycle GPS.  I'm not sure if they want to be a smartphone maker or a social media developer, but it sure don't seem like they want to make route guidance devices.  Maybe they'll get it together on the next version. 

Just back from a 3 week trip through Germany using my 595 to navigate custom routes (on 4-wheels), and it was frustrating to use and overall performance was disappointing.  I've always been disappointed with the 595 on my bike, but I expected to like it more as a car-based device. I didn't. Wish I had taken my 550 instead.  The improvements Garmin made in connectivity on the 595 hardly compensate for loss of simple functionality from the 550.

No point going into the details since Garmin appears deaf to the user community.
Garmin in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy sux. The maps are fundamentally OK (some changes missed, which can be memorable). 660 navigation can't cope with the fact that almost all German roads outside of towns have a 60 mph limit. For that reason, the navigation process will select the road from hell, 1 1/2 tracks wide, as being a 60 mph highway to heaven. And ignore the nearby autobahn, with frequent "fast as you dare" sections.

St. Gotthard pass (Switzerland) has a cobblestone "back in the day" road, which specifically I loaded as a route. And, of course, the navigator from hell bypassed the start of that road in favor of a nice wide sorta twisty concrete road. Once on the cobblestone road (La Tremola), as came to the end of the ride, it tried to send me up a cow path, into a military facility, and I forget what other insanity, despite being told to go to a specific town.

I feel your pain.

Paper maps certainly are a bail-out if the voodoo box dies. But the scale matters. On a European tour, the bail-out map covered four countries (really). Not a lot of use trying to get from a one horse town to civilization. My 660 wanted me to go home via the local interstate. My PA map at least admitted a one horse town existed, but the scale was still enough to conceal secret "don't turn there, turn here" turns. Scale matters.

Online naustin

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 07:34:20 AM »
Wish I had taken my 550 instead.  The improvements Garmin made in connectivity on the 595 hardly compensate for loss of simple functionality from the 550.

Exactly my experience.  :-\

Online naustin

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 07:40:24 AM »
For those with Zumo 590/595 issues, turn the "Adventurous Routing" OFF.   Basecamp's version of this, and the Zumo's version do not appear to be the same.  So, if you create a custom route in Basecamp with it turned on, and then upload to the Zumo, Zumo will recalculate and seems to get a different result.  (both are currently up to date, btw.)  Also, beware, the "View in Google Earth" button was just eliminated from Basecamp in the most recent update.   Great, I didn't use that feature EVERY TIME I created a custom route...  :angry:

Don't get me started on detours or the Bluetooth issues, or the miserable screen.

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 11:14:03 AM »
That reminds me, I have to send my full functioning 550 in to palm Dr. to be refurbed. Screen is delaminating and power button is on I96 somewhere.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
For those with Zumo 590/595 issues, turn the "Adventurous Routing" OFF.   Basecamp's version of this, and the Zumo's version do not appear to be the same. 

Fortunately for me, I refuse to ever use BaseCamp  :pokestick:

Online naustin

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »

I"m a glutton for punishment - I'm running it on a Mac.   :baldy:

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 02:29:15 PM »

Same here.  So much fun trying to visually match things to something I've looked at on Google Maps.  Who the heck designed the look of maps in basecamp?
IBA #37902

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 02:42:54 PM »
I never hear much good about BaseCamp, which makes me wonder who actually uses it?? There are other options out there!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »

I am too, no problems in years of heavy use ONCE I spent some time learning how to use it.   :shrug:  I plan multi day moto-trips, LD rallies with many stops per day and use it to find places to play on the dirt bike, avoiding freeways in my normal planning mode.

Attached is just a few of my old trips and upcoming things, all done in Basecamp on a MacBook.
--Tom

Online naustin

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »
Now that I've gotten used to Basecamp, it works just fine.    I actually like it.

Click the Start location, and then the destination with the Route tool, then just drag the route line to preferred roads.   Zoom in to place the waypoints accurately (correct side of divided highways, for example).   That part works great....    It also does a good job of managing files.  It really hard to delete anything - which just means you don't do it by accident.   And, it interfaces and transfers to/from the Zumo really easily.

However, it won't display topography unless the Zumo is connected even when the same map is installed on the computer, the search function is damn near useless, and as I mentioned, it doesn't seem to route the same as the Zumo - at least with the newest 595.   I don't fault basecamp here - I think the issue is the Zumo itself.   You almost can't trust a custom route to survive once the Zumo gets ahold of it, and you have to add excessive extra waypoints, which are all annoyingly announced 5 times while riding the route to be sure the Zumo follows your intended path.

I have more problems with the 595 than with Basecamp, and that's saying a lot.

Garmin smells like a company about to belly up.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 04:41:17 PM »
To have the route match what you plotted, go into Basecamp, >preferences, >transfer and >click always match the route to the map on my device while transferring.  I bought my 590 about six weeks ago and love it over the 390.  And my volume is muted.  I hate Bitchin' Betty.

If I were RBE, I'd just fix the 660 and keep rocking it.  It's a damn solid unit and it's paid for already. 
--Tom

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
It's a Pita getting a route to replicate correctly on the receiver.  I can load the same route from the same computer to my Z550, Nav V, and my wife's Nav IV and get three different results.

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
Now that I've gotten used to Basecamp, it works just fine.    I actually like it.

Click the Start location, and then the destination with the Route tool, then just drag the route line to preferred roads.   Zoom in to place the waypoints accurately (correct side of divided highways, for example).   That part works great....    It also does a good job of managing files.  It really hard to delete anything - which just means you don't do it by accident.   And, it interfaces and transfers to/from the Zumo really easily.

However, it won't display topography unless the Zumo is connected even when the same map is installed on the computer, the search function is damn near useless, and as I mentioned, it doesn't seem to route the same as the Zumo - at least with the newest 595.   I don't fault basecamp here - I think the issue is the Zumo itself.   You almost can't trust a custom route to survive once the Zumo gets ahold of it, and you have to add excessive extra waypoints, which are all annoyingly announced 5 times while riding the route to be sure the Zumo follows your intended path.

I have more problems with the 595 than with Basecamp, and that's saying a lot.

Garmin smells like a company about to belly up.

Use shaping points instead of waypoints. Shaping points are silent waypoints. They're just there to mark the route.
Ride safe!

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '08 Wee & an overweight Connie
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »
For this last trip, I plotted waypoints on google maps and exported the kmz/gpx to basecamp for final shaping and loading onto my 595.   Easier than it sounds.  And it works around the useless search function in basecamp
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online naustin

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »
To have the route match what you plotted, go into Basecamp, >preferences, >transfer and >click always match the route to the map on my device while transferring.

Literally getting out of bed to look for this setting.   8)

(Edit) It’s there!!!  Awesome. That’s a great tip.  Thank You!!

Online naustin

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »
Use shaping points instead of waypoints. Shaping points are silent waypoints. They're just there to mark the route.

I need to figure this out, I guess...  When I drag the line to a preferred road - why are those becoming Waypoints and not just Shaping points?

(Edit) - Oh that's cool!   I figured out how to convert them after the fact....  Not sure how to make them shaping points by default...   Another great tip!  Thank you too!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:42:57 PM by naustin »

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »

I need to figure this out, I guess...  When I drag the line to a preferred road - why are those becoming Waypoints and not just Shaping points?

(Edit) - Oh that's cool!   I figured out how to convert them after the fact....  Not sure how to make them shaping points by default...   Another great tip!  Thank you too!
If you select insert points, it should do it by default. At least it does for me. Otherwise, you can open the route and select all the points you don't want alarms for, and with a right click remove the alert.
Ride safe!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »
To have the route match what you plotted, go into Basecamp, >preferences, >transfer and >click always match the route to the map on my device while transferring.

Literally getting out of bed to look for this setting.   8)

(Edit) It’s there!!!  Awesome. That’s a great tip.  Thank You!!

I know it is.  I kept referring back to Basecamp to get the path right.   :lol:   :bigok:
--Tom

Online naustin

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
Thanks man!! 8)

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 09:41:43 PM »
IMNSHO Basecamp is, at least with a 660, chaos waiting to happen. Several times I've loaded a very carefully worked out route. Which the 660 ignored - even with "recalculate" turned off.

Figuring out how to use the Basecamp database of places, place names, and routes is the sort of thing I'd let the neighbor's 6 year old kid sort out.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »

My 660 is in transit to Frozen Nose, MN or wherever the address is. :)

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 07:12:46 AM »
Basecamp reminds me of VIM. Archaic commands that once learned don't seem so bad. But you use MS Word just once and  you'll realize that progress has been made in the intervening 30 years.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 07:25:08 AM »
Basecamp reminds me of VIM. Archaic commands that once learned don't seem so bad. But you use MS Word just once and  you'll realize that progress has been made in the intervening 30 years.

I prefer Notepad over MS Word.   :razz:   Too complicated and intricate IMO.  MS has a nasty habit of hiding the stuff you really need to use under four levels of menu and once you figure it out, they shuffle stuff in the next release.
--Tom

Offline oilhed

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »
MS has a nasty habit of hiding the stuff you really need to use under four levels of menu and once you figure it out, they shuffle stuff in the next release.

Sounds like most GARMIN GPS.
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 08:34:18 AM »

I prefer Notepad over MS Word.   :razz:   Too complicated and intricate IMO.  MS has a nasty habit of hiding the stuff you really need to use under four levels of menu and once you figure it out, they shuffle stuff in the next release.

Fair enough. I use UltraEdit (ya, I'm an old programmer). Just trying to put in to terms everybody can understand.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »

An old saying, friends don't let friends use VI. LOL
I have been partial to notepad ++ but MSWord is a business application. The same with Outlook and Exchange.
If you're not in a big business, you don't realy appreciate what it can do.

The issues with Basecamp is that it's mostly features added on to a basic application designed for hand held gps. I prefered the way MS Streets &Trips worked, with all functions better integrated, alas it didn't integrate easily with my Garmin GPS. Learning and using Basecamp was the only solution that didn't involve third party apps. Third party apps that were often the source of funky error. Getting good results with Basecamp requires learning it and working at it. The same with your GPS.
IMO apps like google maps, waze, maps.me, et all, are fine in some instance but they don't achieve what I need. I'll stick with Garmin and Basecamp for now.
Ride safe!

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
[snip]
Great googlie mooglie! I sent my 660 off on the 5th. It's due back here on the 12th. Doing the math, 12 - 5 = 7 or a week from start to finish with at least 4-6 days in the mails. That means in and out took 1-3 days. Now that's what I call sudden service.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
While shaping points do work when building a route with Basecamp, it's not much good if the GPS receiver than chooses to ignore the route. Grrrrrrrrrrr...

Using shaping points can be an amusing game those with lots of time and no real life. Sometimes a shaping point can yank much of a route let into place. Sometimes it actually makes things worse because the shaping point is on the wrong side of a highway's median strip. Which, of course, is not visible on the map at any scale.

Back to reality. I spent a lot of time wondering why some "new" waypoint name would be branded as already existing when I was sure it wasn't. All of a Basecamp universe (called a "Library") is just that, a universe made up on the map and whatever the user is doing. Here's the fun part. All place names (towns, cities, and some other features) are already defined in this universe. Which means that attempting to name a way point Dead Horse isn't going to work. The name already exists. I looked it up.

Working on a trip, the waypoint Chainbroke is defined. Six months later, a new trip is planned and, for whatever reason, there's an attempt to create a new, clever waypoint name: Chainbroke. Of course it fails. it's a name already in the universe. The point here is, once a name is defined by the user or maps, that's it. It's defined and can't be defined again.

But it gets worse. There is AFAIK no easy way to get a list of all user defined waypoints. There is one ugly (IMHO) way to look at each route, copy all of the waypoints, and paste then in one list with all names. It's time-consuming but it will work. Or create a "master list" of names when creating a trip. Copy that to the Really Big List. Meh, better than a poke in the eye...

Going backwards... a particular waypoint is no longer wanted. The name can be edited to something else. Or choose to delete it. Big decision time. The waypoint can be removed from a particular route. That means the name still exists in the universe, or it can be deleted from the universe. Proceed with care - every route using that waypoint will be altered. Now what?

Open the waypoint (double click on the name) and there are four tabs. The last one is references. It lists where the waypoint is present in one or more trips, and which routes it's used in. Delete the waypoint and all the routes in that list will be altered.

For these reasons and more can Basecamp be named well and truly a pain in the arse. Have a nice Basecamp day.  ;)

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
I'm curious as to how shaping points are recognized by older zumo gps like your 660?
Mapsource was the application used to create routes when these came out. Mapsource didn't support shaping points.
Ride safe!

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »
I don't now how the magic is done, but AFAIK they're not listed in the GPS waypoint list, and not in Basecamp (at least no name that creates an "already used" error). When the 660 isn't busy putting it to me, it does follow the computed route. Still, I think it's done with magic.

Offline spinalator

• Motorcycles: XT1200Z
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »
I never hear much good about BaseCamp, which makes me wonder who actually uses it?? There are other options out there!

What do you use Colleen, if I may be so nosey? I am sure you have mentioned it 95 times in your reports, but it apparently is something that does not stick in my brain-parts.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 10:36:21 PM »
I'm curious as to how shaping points are recognized by older zumo gps like your 660?
Mapsource was the application used to create routes when these came out. Mapsource didn't support shaping points.
Shaping points are waypoints. But they're flagged to keep the 660 from saying "you're approaching 34th and Vine", but allowing the 660 to say "you're approaching the He's Not Inn".

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:17 AM »
Shaping points are waypoints. But they're flagged to keep the 660 from saying "you're approaching 34th and Vine", but allowing the 660 to say "you're approaching the He's Not Inn".
I need would like to learn how to flag the pts in a .gpx file exported by/from kurviger
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 10:53:29 AM »
The only feasible way that I can think of is sucking it back into Basecamp.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 12:01:55 PM »
Sounds about right to me.

Remember that BaseCamp can only to see a particular waypoint name once. Otherwise there will be SomeWaypoint, SomeWaypoint_1, SomeWaypoint_2, etc. This applies to all routes, trips, etc.

BaseCamp waypoint and route management is one big database. BaseCamp will not accept the same waypoint or shaping point name twice. Ever. Don't ask. Period. End of Story. Movie over. You're outta beer.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 12:12:25 PM »

Remember that BaseCamp can only to see a particular waypoint name once. Otherwise there will be SomeWaypoint, SomeWaypoint_1, SomeWaypoint_2, etc. This applies to all routes, trips, etc.

BaseCamp waypoint and route management is one big database. BaseCamp will not accept the same waypoint or shaping point name twice. Ever. Don't ask. Period. End of Story. Movie over. You're outta beer.

So you go into the big list of all waypoints and drag/drop the old one into the new routing list or pick another name.  Why would you want to waste electrons by listing it twice?  They can be reused innumerable times.
--Tom

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 05:08:16 PM »

So you go into the big list of all waypoints and drag/drop the old one into the new routing list or pick another name.  Why would you want to waste electrons by listing it twice?  They can be reused innumerable times.

There's still a lot of confusion regarding waypoints, viapoints and shaping points.

This from the Garmin forum explains: POIs, Waypoints, Via-Points, Shaping Points 101

Waypoints, like POIs, are unique objects in the database and the name is the key to finding them. Waypoints or viapoints can be silenced. Shaping points aren't formally in the database. You can't search for a shaping point. You can create shaping points and Basecamp can add shaping points to your route. They're always silent.

The old zumo 660 could have up to 1000 waypoints or via points. All points were equal. You go from one waypoint to the next one. Miss one and you need to go back or manually delete the waypoint. Or endure the nagging until you get to the next waypoint.

Newer Gamins such as the BMW Navigator are much more limited. The Nav V is limited to 29 Waypoints or Via points. However you can insert up to 50 shaping points in between each set of waypoints. And to further complicate matters, when you create your route in Basecamp, it creates it's own shaping points. Skip a waypoint and you skip all the shaping points in between. That last part, I wish we could just skip one or a few shaping point. Or resume on the original path.

Advice I received years ago, if you want to stay on a specific road, or follow a specific path, use a track instead of a route. It works, in a quirky way.

Ride safe!