Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ride to Ithaca NY to check out waterfalls!  (Read 988 times)

Offline moto_joe

• Motorcycles: 2017 KTM Duke 390, 2008 Honda CRF230L
Ride to Ithaca NY to check out waterfalls!
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
I recently led a group ride up to Ithaca, New York from Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania.  We went up to check out some of the amazing waterfalls in that area.  It was about 7 hours of riding that day.

The weather was beautiful and it was a nice, scenic ride up Rt. 220 into New York. 

I just got past the break-in period on my new 2017 KTM Duke 390, so I was eager to give a good chance to stretch it's legs, since the RPM limit was now off.  The bike definitely didn't disappoint!

My 2017 Duke 390...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ithaca Falls, near the Ithaca College campus...

Triphammer Falls, on the Cornell University campus....

Taughannock Falls, about 20 minutes north of Ithaca, higher than Niagara falls, it is the highest single drop waterfall east of the Rockies!  The pictures don't do this one justice, it is definitely HIGH.  We visited the upper falls lookout, but didn't get down to the lower one...

Lunch at the BoatYard Grill, right on Cayuga lake!

I will add shots from the actual motorcycle ride later.  It was a great time!  Ithaca is an awesome area and these waterfalls were easily accessible and magnificent.  I will definitely return to check out the nearby state parks with waterfalls as well!

moto joe

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
Re: Ride to Ithaca NY to check out waterfalls!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »
Very nice. Best part is the ride between Selinsgrove and the NY state line.

Offline Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:43:47 AM »
Those are great pictures - thank you for sharing! I never took advantage of visiting them when I lived in the area. Looks like I missed out!
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
GF and I did a tour of NY waterfalls and sights a few years back.  Very underated!  Thanks to http://www.newenglandriders.org for the references and reviews.  We had a great time.

The two highlights for waterfalls were Letchworth State Park and Watkins Glen.

I'm planning to be just south of there 2nd weekend of June in the Wellsboro PA area.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
Great stuff.  Been there several times, in the car.  Usually Summer, fall or winter.  It's also the center of east coast hard cider culture!
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:14:08 PM »
 :bigok:

Thanks!
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline moto_joe

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »
GF and I did a tour of NY waterfalls and sights a few years back.  Very underated!  Thanks to http://www.newenglandriders.org for the references and reviews.  We had a great time.

I'm planning to be just south of there 2nd weekend of June in the Wellsboro PA area.

I have been to both Letchworth state park and Watkins Glen with my wife.  I agree that both are amazing as well!  I originally was going to lead the other riders to Watkins Glen, but on a nice Saturday in May, I figured that place would be pretty busy, plus you have to pay to park the actual state parks in New York.  I was going to take them to the Robert H. Treman state park and Butterfly falls state park, but we just didn't have enough time to do it as part of a 1 day trip.

Offline moto_joe

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »
Those are great pictures - thank you for sharing! I never took advantage of visiting them when I lived in the area. Looks like I missed out!

Yes, but if you are from or live in Switzerland now, that has to be pretty epic itself!!!

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »

I have been to both Letchworth state park and Watkins Glen with my wife.  I agree that both are amazing as well!  I originally was going to lead the other riders to Watkins Glen, but on a nice Saturday in May, I figured that place would be pretty busy, plus you have to pay to park the actual state parks in New York.  I was going to take them to the Robert H. Treman state park and Butterfly falls state park, but we just didn't have enough time to do it as part of a 1 day trip.

Weird. I don't remember paying to park anywhere and we hit about 5-8 different sets of waterfalls/parks.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 08:33:56 PM »
Awesome pics and man I love your 390. What a great bike and I would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline blueridgekat

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
Nice pictures..... nice KTM to!  Love those wheels.

Offline moto_joe

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »
Awesome pics and man I love your 390. What a great bike and I would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Eric

The KTM is just pure fun!  It definitely feels more powerful than it's displacement suggests. Probably because it's so lightweight. 360 lbs wet. I traded in my '09 BMW G650GS which has about 10 more hp, but they both have about the same acceleration.

The KTMs suspension is harsher than the Beemers, but it's meant to be sporty, so I'm cool with that. It has an awesome TFT display. It's great in the twisties, but I also have no problem taking it on longer trips as shown above.

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 08:07:00 PM »
For some, the great call to the Finger Lakes area is the wine. Being a "24 hours bottle to throttle" type, it would seem to mean ride or sample. The good news there are wine tours by boat. Combine that with an Uber ride to wherever you're staying and life is good.
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?