Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CCW - What's your choice?  (Read 23661 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
CCW - What's your choice?
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:08:13 AM »
I'll be able to get my CCW in WV and have started looking into a good choice or choices for concealment.  I'm torn between size and capacity.  I'm not a fan of anything I can't get my pinky around.  I've seen several and fired a couple of the really small ones and have no interest in either that kind of feel or that low a capacity.

So, what's a good carry gun that's small enough for conceal but large enough to have a decent capacity?  Let's define decent as more than 10 rounds.  Let's bench the arguement about whether or not I need that many rounds in a concealed application and just discuss the hardware. 

I currently have a 9mm and a 45 so for ammo purposes, getting a 40 would require it's own new stock.  Not a dealbreaker but a consideration. 

This place was fun if you're anywhere near Hagerstown, MD.   http://www.hendershots.net/
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
Re: CCW - What's your choice?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:24:44 AM »
Get what you want. Buy several. Practice w/ each of them often. Choose which one works best. Get you Class 4 & get something fully automatic. That's what I did.
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:03 AM »
Get what you want. Buy several. Practice w/ each of them often. Choose which one works best. Get you Class 4 & get something fully automatic. That's what I did.

Class 4?  I don't think he needs to carry a Nuc around.  Class 3 will get you full auto.

Back to the question, I have no answer since I have no idea how big your mitt is.  How about tracing it on paper and add some dimensions.  ;D

Or just carry what you currently own.  :shrug:

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 07:08:14 AM »
I like grenades.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 07:09:05 AM »
But you don't want the man to know you have them.

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:12:37 AM »
What man?

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »
The single stack Kahr TP-9 is nice and thin without being too small. The Ruger LC9 with the finger extension on the mag might be nice if your hands aren't too large. The Ruger SR9c is pretty thin too for a double stack. I am starting to consider getting something to carry. I have a Walther PPQ at home, but don't want to lug something that big around.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:30:43 AM »
Get what you like, but I carry the Beretta Nano 9mm.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:46:35 AM »
All I can say is try some different stuff out and see what works for you. I prefer the 40 as it gives me the capacity of a 9mm with a little more knock down power.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »
I like my Walther PPS in .40, with the longer mag it has a full grip.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 08:18:01 AM »
Get what you like, but I carry the Beretta Nano 9mm.

That's one of the ones I fired and didn't care too much for.  Might just be because it's my first "little" gun experience.  I guess I'll revisit and go fire some others. 

My current is a hundred year old Ruger P89DC that weighs about 10 lbs.  Prolly not the best choice for conceal carry.  I'd need hip replacement surgery if I carried that thing for any length of time. 

We looked at a Glock and a S&W M&P but I can 't remember which models.  They were both very slender and a nice mid size viable for conceal.  Didn't like the feel of the Glock but I never have.
I need to let go of the perfect feel issue for a conceal gun.  I mean how important is that really?  That would be like passing on a nice 87 F250 plow truck because you don't like the bench seats. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 08:18:20 AM »

got pics?

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 08:21:32 AM »
Ruger SR9c - IWB, S+W 442 - Fobus ankle, S+W Bodyguard - RedDog leather pocket or 1911 - Tagua leather.

Depends on the circumstances/clothing.

Try different things.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:31 AM »
I carry a SIG/Sauer P239 in .40 S&W off duty.  I'm looking for a nice small gun in .380 ACP for my girl.  As for Kahr, I had a MP40 (?) and it was the biggest POS ever.  Failures to feed, fire, & extract.  It was sent back to Kahr twice with no improvement.  I dumped that junk as soon as I could.  I'd have kept it as a throw down, but who'd believe it actually fired a round?  :lol:  It's a joke people.....

Fit for your hand is the most important aspect.  Try a lot before you but if possible.  We have a few indoor ranges around here that rent guns to try out. 
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Online Black Hills

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »

got pics?

I can get some tonight..
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »

I fired plenty of fully auto stuff and other than having a Rambo moment w/ a 60 using one hand, I don't have fond enough memories of any of them to justify getting a civilian equivalent.  Meh. 
Hollywood makes i look so cool but if I'm paying for ammo, there'll be no auto fire anything.  If you need more lead than you can send w/ a semi, you're probably dead.  :) 

I equate that to Jay Leno's jetbike. 

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »
I just meant the 1st 3 sentences of my post. The rest was just being silly. Unless you want full auto & explosives!

Get what you want. Buy several. Practice w/ each of them often. Choose which one works best.

Cheers

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 09:53:18 AM »
Have you tried the Gen 4 Glock with the interchangeable grip backstraps? Try a model 27 with the pinky extension on the mag. Should fit your criteria, is relatively affordable, reliable, and not particularly nice looking, so you don't care about scuffs and whatnot from carrying.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »

got pics?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline khuffy

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »
My daily is a Sig 229 IWB, however I have been reviewing some smaller firearms as well for ease of concealment and dress code issues.

I have had a decent amount of trigger time on a stock S&W M&P Shield and liked it however I would need to upgrade the trigger.  It's currently getting an Apex trigger installation and I will give it another test hopefully soon.

I was also able to put a few magazines through a Glock G30 (sub-compact 45 ACP), I have never liked glocks because of the ergonomics, I wasn't able to put accurate rounds down range with any of them except this one.  With this G30 I felt like I couldn't miss (mainly shooting clay targets from 3 yards to 7 yards), the sights were upgraded and the trigger was upgraded/modified.  Also had some stippling on the grip that I liked, not sure if it was factory or not.

I would love to get my hands on a Sig P224 for another carry option.  Smaller than my 229 but will accept the same magazines so I can carry larger capacity mags.

A P220 carry would be great too..... or..... or....

Man, if only my bank account was as big as my wish list.   ;D

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »

I fired plenty of fully auto stuff and other than having a Rambo moment w/ a 60 using one hand, I don't have fond enough memories of any of them to justify getting a civilian equivalent.  Meh. 

Full auto is fun but all sorts of stupid. Burst fire is where its at for "doing the job". ;)  I got nothing for you on CCW, we are not even allowed to open carry anymore in California.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

Full auto is fun but all sorts of stupid. Burst fire is where its at for "doing the job". ;) 

That.  Full auto is only fun for burning cheap ammo and going Rambo- I have a fair amount of time behind a weapon that shoots 7.62x39.  I'd take a semi over full any day of the week- you just have far better control.   :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »
I've honestly never felt the need to get my CCW, even though the latest Sac county sheriff is pretty good about issuing them to anyone who wants one and passes the background checks.

That being said, I bought a 9mm Ruger SR9c if I change my mind in the near future.
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »
I've honestly never felt the need to get my CCW, even though the latest Sac county sheriff is pretty good about issuing them to anyone who wants one and passes the background checks.

That being said, I bought a 9mm Ruger SR9c if I change my mind in the near future.

Huh?

In The Republic of Massachusetts you can't purchase a fire arm UNTIL you have a carry permit.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 04:00:59 PM »
I like the 1911 format due to the skinny profile with a single stack.  And, I like the additional mechanical safeties (thumb and grip).

My CCW is a Kimber Super Carry Ultra .45 ACP.  With the various polymers in our safe, it's nice to have at least one that's pretty to look at.   :D

If only it had the de-cocking feature of the Sig. 

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
Huh?

In The Republic of Massachusetts you can't purchase a fire arm UNTIL you have a carry permit.

In NC, you can acquire a handgun with either a purchase permit offered by the local sheriff or with a valid CC permit.  The purchase permit requires a new background check be completed for each purchase. 

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »

Huh?

We can buy handguns only after obtaining a "Handgun Safety Certificate" which is issued after passing a 25 question test once every 5 years. Once you have that card, you need to show it to the nice man selling you the piece and show him that you know which end is the pointy end. 10 day waiting period and you pick up your shootin' iron. No permit needed, except to carry.
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 06:25:06 PM »

We can buy handguns only after obtaining a "Handgun Safety Certificate" which is issued after passing a 25 question test once every 5 years. Once you have that card, you need to show it to the nice man selling you the piece and show him that you know which end is the pointy end. 10 day waiting period and you pick up your shootin' iron. No permit needed, except to carry.

Yeah its funny how California gets mocked about its gun laws when there are MUCH worse states out there. You don't need no stinking permit to buy a handgun here......yet. In free states you walk in put your money down and walk out with a gun. I grew up in a free state so even California's silly little laws were a bit to swallow but I am getting by.  8)

-

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »
Same thing here.

Walk into store.

Buy gun.

Walk out of store with gun.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »
No background check? I was of the thought they are in all states?  CO is background check and depending upon backlog it's either 10 minutes or perhaps 10 days...
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
No background checks when you buy a gun out of the trunk of a car.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 07:23:31 PM »
No background check? I was of the thought they are in all states?  CO is background check and depending upon backlog it's either 10 minutes or perhaps 10 days...

Yes its an instant check in most cases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

-

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »

Private sales have to follow the state laws in some states. In california a transfer has to be done at a dealer.

-

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »
Personal sales (often called the "Gun Show Loophole") just changed in CO. They did not used to be background check required, now they are.

I'm curious if it'll change back after the next state elections (if things sway away from Democrat).
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:01 PM »
Can't wait to see how my background check goes given my...day job.  The good news is that all I have to do to get said permit is go to sher'f's office w/ my DD214 and I'm good.  :)  Wifey will have to take the NRA course before she can get hers.

I'm liking the Springfield EMP...  http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=155

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »

Private sales have to follow the state laws in some states. In california a transfer has to be done at a dealer.

If you choose to do so legally. Personally, I like to buy guns w/ all of the identifying marks ground off.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »

If you choose to do so legally. Personally, I like to buy guns w/ all of the identifying marks ground off.

Lower left..... :P

-

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
There are no provisions for average people to carry concealed in Canada under most circumstances, so I only do it if I'm in a particular situation that allows it (I.e. out of the country etc.  For me that's about 10% of the time, maybe a little less).

I carry a full size 1911, AIWB.
Support 12-5

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 12:28:54 PM »
There are no provisions for average people to carry concealed in Canada under most circumstances, so I only do it if I'm in a particular situation that allows it (I.e. out of the country etc.  For me that's about 10% of the time, maybe a little less).

I carry a full size 1911, AIWB.

How do you transport across the border?  Is there any special paperwork or documentation required?

Offline misanthropist

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »
To the US would be ATF Form 6.

I guess to be fair I should say that depending on where I'm going, why, and with how much notice it's also not uncommon for there to be a gun waiting for me, in which case it's usually a 9mm glock.  And in that case I prefer to carry at 4 o'clock.

For the whole rest of the world, that's pretty much all you'll ever get.
Support 12-5

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »

I guess to be fair I should say that depending on where I'm going, why, and with how much notice it's also not uncommon for there to be a gun waiting for me, in which case it's usually a 9mm glock.  And in that case I prefer to carry at 4 o'clock.

An hour before cocktails, perfect!

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »

Interesting - can you elaborate on your travels and what takes you there?  Having spent 25 years in D.C. I can understand if you cannot - but most have so flexibility as to what they can say.

I thought you were a rising pornographer and part time gun evaluation writer...
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »

It's illegal in NC for a private sell where the seller doesn't receive a notarized purchase permit from the Sherrif's office or a copy of the buyer's CWP.

Thanks for the reply.  I did not know how this was done.

Offline misanthropist

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »
Mostly it's connected with the company I used to own and now contract back to, which does a bunch of branding, strategic direction and procurement work within the defense and law enforcement industries, or else I just got invited to come train or compete somewhere.

Now that I contract, it's probably more of the latter. Definitely more than it used to be, anyway.

But I am mainly valued for my communication skills. I'm not a spook or door kicker or anything.
Support 12-5

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
I'm sure you're already very familiar with many state laws, but NY and MD (and DC) are extremely aggressive about transport of weapons.  My postmaster was arrested--not just ticketed--for having a handgun locked in a gun case in the back of his Jeep.  Reason:  It was not locked in a trunk and could be obtained while the car was moving. 

It was eventually thrown out by a judge, but cost him legal fees and he has to answer yes to "Have you ever been arrested..." questions on everything from government forms to job applications.

Offline misanthropist

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2014, 02:33:08 PM »
NY is a headache. I'll be there in march and I just gave up on having anything with me beyond a swiss army knife.

Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. But still.
Support 12-5

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »
NY is a headache. I'll be there in march and I just gave up on having anything with me beyond a swiss army knife.

Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. But still.

MA may be in the same boat.  I just rarely go there. 

Offline misanthropist

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
Well, I'm from Canada. I guess I'm not really in any position to talk.
Support 12-5

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »

It's illegal in NC for a private sell where the seller doesn't receive a notarized purchase permit from the Sherrif's office or a copy of the buyer's CWP.

I would think that it's illegal anywhere. It was a joke. I don't buy my guns from the trunks of cars. I buy them at an authorized gun dealer like the rest of the law abiding tax paying citizens in the US.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »

I would think that it's illegal anywhere. It was a joke. I don't buy my guns from the trunks of cars. I buy them at an authorized gun dealer like the rest of the law abiding tax paying citizens in the US.

you are missing out on some good deals. I picked up a SKS with 200 rounds of ammo for $70 and a beer. you have to hang out in shady places but I'm used to that.